Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Weeeee, the faerie commander deck was fun. Turned their commander into a 1/1 frog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
The faerie brawl deck seems overpowered compared to the rest. Being able to generate poo poo-tons of decent token flyers and frogify your opponent's commander seems busted. I felt bad doing the latter since I've been on the receiving end of a frogify when I played some of the other decks and it sucks having your commander be just completely shut down. But I wanted to that Order of Midnight play set.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
This has me really hyped for brawl.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

axeil posted:

source your quotes

Take a wild guess.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
New state of the game: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-september-20-2019

Bunch of cool stuff.

1. An event giving us access to a playset of everything in standard
2. A similar event allowing us to possibly win one copy of every card in standard
3. Code FiveBonusLevels for 5 levels.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Yeah, giving everyone unlimited shots at a copy of every card would be insane.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Got to level 100 with today's code, so I finally bought the mastery pass. Now I'm sitting on

20 packs from mastery pass
3400 gems (for the next mastery pass assume they don't change pricing)
48k gold
20 rare WC
12 mythic WC

I think I'm ready for rotation. I'll open those 20 packs I got after I get the NPE stuff and the 10 rare ICR from renewal to take advantage of any duplicate protection.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
At least from my point of view, getting the mastery pass at 100 means I effectively spent 1400 gems (about $8) to get 30 packs (20 given and 10K gold) and 10 mythic ICRs. That's worth it to me as a constructed player. If you mostly care about limited, then it probably isn't worth it.

I also don't know if hitting the jackpot on the reward event is worth throwing away your current account. It's only one copy of every card. You're still gonna need a lot more to make a decent deck (again, this is only if you care about constructed).

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Spiderdrake posted:

Also I've gotten like a thousand upvotes for saying "it's fine but the communication surrounding it sucks" so I don't think the opinion is uniform in any of the three options.

This is my main complaint about the whole NPE thing. It's not my prerogative to tell wizards how much free stuff they should give away, but tell it to us in plain english and not rely on legalese technicalities. Really, who says "you're going to get something" but really mean "if you don't already have it"? But I'm not a gamer so I don't know if this is expecting too much from a game developer.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Make phasing great again.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Did you guys get all the mono color NPE decks? It looks like I only have the blue one "Azure Skies".

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
My first match with the play anything was a grindy as gently caress pyromancer mirror match. It's a pretty cool deck though.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
That esper doom decks looks absolutely miserable to play against. It's gonna be loving everywhere, isn't it?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
How does golos field match up against esper dance? It seems like that's a pretty favorable matchup since you're not too worried about non-token permanents sticking around.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 29, 2019

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Let me respond to this by asking “what do you think the manabase for this even looks like right now?”

Something like this deck that Bryan Gottlieb registered for today's fandom event: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2302210

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

drainpipe posted:

Something like this deck that Bryan Gottlieb registered for today's fandom event: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2302210

Played this deck in 3 games of the play anything event. Can confirm still good. The mana base felt fine.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
My last game in the play anything standard was Hoogland's Yarok Field deck with -2 cavalier -1 yarok +3 golos. Man, getting a golos double activation from yarok is almost scapeshift in terms of explosiveness. Don't know how good the deck actually is but fun as hell.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
You're gonna have to pry a moderately effective mono b from my cold dead hands.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Just went 7-2 with the simic ramp deck. First game was a loss to a Boros aggro deck with the nuts draw (dreadhorde -> tenth district + gird -> tenth district + gird). Then won against Dance, some Izzet, some Golgari, another grindy Simic ramp, 2 mono reds (one cavalcade, one not), an Izzet phoenix, and finally lost to a Bant ramp.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 6, 2019

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

The one in the Mengucci article on cfb.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Eej posted:

The most powerful Golos Fields counter? Two Ethereal Absolution, heck ya!

Revenge of Ravens makes every zombie attack a wash.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Sjonkel posted:

Looking at the top16 list from the latest SCG Standard Classic (http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/Star_City_Games_Classic/2019-10-06_standard_Philadelphia_PA_US/1/), there are many different decks, and surprisingly few Golos decks. Which of these decks do you guys think are well positioned in the Bo3 ladder on Arena?

It's hard to read much from this tournament what with a team format in the open–which muddies a lot of the signal–and many of the good people not playing in the classic. Golos and the food decks are undoubtedly T1, but I really want to know how real these adventure decks are. I think we'll only get a better picture after the MC.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Here's a simic flash you can probably do: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2354654#paper. But you may want to first watch some gameplay on youtube to see if you like the style of play.

edit: kinda sucks that there is no 12-13 rare WC RDW that new people can use to grind. I miss RDW :(

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 8, 2019

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'd be down with crafting golos except the mirror sounds absolutely miserable.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Watch them ban Golos instead for some dumb-poo poo reason (I'd actually be down for that since I have 2 Golos from opening packs).

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Man I can't wait to see what kind of dumpster fire the MC decklist must be.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Yeah, they’re the only must listen mtg content for me. Glad they’ve been upping their content rate with the YouTube channel. (God I hate the term content)

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Eh, nothing wrong with theorycrafting while we're waiting for the death of the current meta. I'm holding onto a fair amount of WCs, but I'm definitely waiting until after the BNR before I craft. I'm interested in either Simic food or Golgari adventures. Food is likely the favorite after, but how does adventures hold up against the other non-golos decks? I imagine Fires and possibly even Dance will be relevant.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m pivoting from Gruul hard into Golgari adventures, this deck seems very cool and I would rather craft Rankles than Oko for now.

It's a sweet deck (I definitely want to craft one), but how is its matchup against simic? It seems unfavored to me, and simic looks to be huge in the meta if field eats a ban.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Mostly f2p and I've opened 4 hushbringers, wishclaw talisman, charming princes, ugh. At least I also opened 4 OUAT.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Assuming Field gets banned, I can see Doom/Dance decks becoming viable again.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Hmmmm, Eldraine Block Constructed is the next event.

Yikes, that manabase.

hambeef posted:

I very much enjoyed the experience of realizing I had the cards to make a Golos deck, albeit with only 2 Field of the Deads, and still winning with it more times than not

so tempting to craft the last 2 but I reckon i'll wait a week

If 2 more FotD is really all you need, it might be safe to craft them since if they get banned, you should get back the WCs. However, I don't know if I trust an unspoken agreement from wizards regarding how bans are handled in arena, so waiting is definitely not an unreasonable option.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
This T8 seems like a nightmare for wizards. Now they don't have a clean answer to why they're banning FotD and food is running rampant. I still think a Field ban is correct, but a oko/nissa ban still seems premature. A Field ban would bring back control decks like Esper Dance, and those seem like they'd have good matchups against midrange. Veil of Summer ain't gonna save you from Doom Foretold.

On the bright side, aggro seems viable now.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Field should get a ban and that should be it. Schedule another BNR after the next MC to check Oko.

I’m still not convinced Oko will overwhelmingly dominate in a post-field meta. The control decks that Golos pushed out will hopefully come back and check midrange. That’s not to say I believe Oko couldn’t dominate, but this MC does not provide evidence for it since there were no control decks and a fair amount of aggro, which is a great environment for Oko.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

He's the popular Magic twitch streamer that hates women and doesn't wear a tie. The other popular Magic twitch streamer sex pest wears a tie on steam for whatever reason.

Is there an actual anti-women event with Hoogland? I’ve seen him being anti-women mentioned constantly but haven’t seen the actual event mentioned. I’m not being skeptical, I just genuinely want to know.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

So now thread, Bryan Gottlieb and Gerry Thomson are discussing what decks will be good in the post-Field meta and one thing Bryan seems confident of is that Esper Dance can and will be farming these green food decks because it’s the only deck in the format that really effectively blanks wicked wolf. I squeezed 3 Enter the God Eternals into his fandom legends list and I’m really enjoying my games in Mythic.

I also found it interesting that they said GW adventures might become good since it has a good Food matchup. A few other people have been saying that and it makes sense. I opened 3 Lovestruck Beasts this last week, so I'm tempted, but I think I'll wait until after I see how week 1 of this new meta shakes out before committing.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Does a match win in Bo3 give you two wins for dailies and weeklies? I'm interested in getting into Bo3, but I would like be able to hit 4 wins when I play.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I just watched some of Wyatt Darby’s latest stream playing GW adventures vs Food. It’s kinda amazing how harmless Oko and Nissa look when you’ve got just an absolute poo poo-ton of small creatures all buffed with Loxodon or flourish.

I guess playing counters and deputy is probably how you’d try to attack that from the food side.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Shifting ceratops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Pro blue means a fat cutthroat can never kill or block a ceratops.