Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

kater posted:

Huh, I never made a field of dead deck so I've never paid attention to Golos besides the activate. That boy is just a neutral Cavalier. I want to put it into every deck.

Yeah I didn't understand Golos until I played him in Autumn's FoD deck. On my first activation I got Lil Teffrey and Veil of Summer against a Simic Flash deck. They snap conceded after trying to counter the Teferi, it was perfect. Golos owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

A Moose posted:

The golos deck is definitely the most fun, but it loses to cavalcade 100% of the time, its not even close. It does beat everything else, but since 90% of game 2's are against cavalcade, its an awful choice for this event.

I went a pretty easy 2-0 with it, beating a cavalcade deck on the way. Once they empty their hand and you cast Gates Ablaze their deck does literally nothing.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Mengu got some 2020 decks

Esper control and Golos Gates
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mengu09/status/1171314293326929920

Simic Quasiduplicate
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2249669#paper

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Lagomorphic posted:

Without counting vault progress your per per pack rate including tracks plus "random" drops is:

0.333333333 Common
0.366666667 Uncommon
0.175 Rare
0.075 Mythic

So 45 packs is 3.375 mythic rare wildcards.

If you also have a complete set of commons and uncommons you're also looking at 1/90th of a vault per pack* so add an extra 1/2 a mythic wildcard.

*It's actually slightly less since any common/uncommon wildcards will not count towards vault progress.
For those ITT wondering why people are complaining about historic, this means once they add Wurmcoil Engine, opening 90 packs won't even get you a playset. Then next quarter they add another powerful mythic to the format...

They don't want you to play historic unless you're spending a LOT of money. It's just a distraction from the fact that your cards rotate and become worthless.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Y'all being way too credulous of WotC. Events to give us the new cards - yeah just like the events to make up for XP that people spent pages ITT complaining about. And why the hell would you develop a new format to intentionally exclude players? Ah yes a growing and active playerbase - a common problem that games are trying to solve.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

No Wave posted:

Sure, they're doing what they can to make the cards you bought extra super duper worthless but can you believe the tone of reddit? that's the real crime here.

lol this

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Sinteres posted:

Just beat the event for the 38th time and now I'm done with this stupid poo poo. Honestly, feeling like there were some stakes involved in the games was kind of fun, and seeing a number of different decks I hadn't seen before was cool (if I really hated it, I obviously would have either spent $10 for the levels or said gently caress it), but it's still kind of a relief to be done so I can just play more casually and/or draft until Eldraine.

Dude, that's pretty insane to grind them all out in a row. What deck did you have most success with?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Rats off to ya

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Shooting Blanks posted:

My understanding is that the first event lasts 5 days and is exactly the same as the later 36 hour event that has actual rewards - it's there specifically to brew and test. Now, it may be worth setting up a dummy account just to test your brews in the real event in case the meta changes in that period, but otherwise you've got plenty of time to test out any deck you want.

You can only enter both events once.

Anyway seems like a good opportunity to create a bunch of dummy accounts, hopefully hit 12 wins on one of them and boom you have a complete standard collection for free.

Also I'm glad they're added another XP code and made the event rewards better, I can probably finish the mastery pass now.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Oops, gently caress that then.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

zoux posted:

There is literally nothing these people won't whine about. I WANT FOUR UNCOMMONS SO 2 OF THEM COUNT TOWARDS THE VAULT

They're complaining that they don't get a shockland if they own any copies of that same shockland already. I don't really give a poo poo about that but you don't need to exaggerate to make them look whiney.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Please give me the cool avatar, card sleeves and horrifying statistics, wizards.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Mogul announced a $50k Arena tournament for Aus & NZ. It's free to enter
https://www.htt.news/news/mogul-partners-with-wizards-of-the-coast

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Jon Do posted:

'fun' with crafting evaluation; leading high tier here is both yarok field and simic flash, leaving me stuff leftover perhaps even for a mono black list

Where are you getting your tier evaluations from? I don't think yarok field is a deck at the moment. I would instead craft the golos field deck that just took 1st place at fandom casters cup. And if you're really concerned about wildcards I'd wait for the meta to settle.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm still torn on what to put together for the event this weekend. Simic with Oko/Wolf/Krasis/Goose seems really gross, but I also get the feeling it's going to be played a lot and people will have figured out a way to beat it by then (or they already have and are just holding back so as not to decrease their chances of a 12 win streak).

FWIW old mate played Manse Dance Revolution specifically because they thought food decks would be prominent and he won fandom legends. Not sure the meta is still the same. The food package is still top tier.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Yeah I don't think Esper Dance will stay top tier. I couldn't win a game with it last night, but then I switched to Bant Golos and couldn't lose.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I guess but they only refund the card they ban.

Theros comes out next year. They better ban the drat zombie canyon cause this game is getting really boring now. Zombie spawning simulator 2019.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I mean it has to be a standard ban. Everyone is asking for it. They announced the emergency ban the day the MC decks were due for submission. The ban is the day after the MC.

If it's just a brawl ban I will LMAO

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
For the jank lovers, Mengu was playing this mono blue self mill Phoenix deck https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2361609#paper

It sucked but it's pretty cool. The goal is to mill yourself and between the 4 pheonixs and 4 creeping chills you should setup lethal around turn 5. Rei Sato was also playing a similar deck but I don't have the list.

Edit: I might give it a go if I have all the cards, definitely not worth crafting.

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 10, 2019

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Tectonic Rift also prevents them from blocking so you can sneak in lethal. However I don't know if that's worth running the wish package. Agent is great in the mirror and also other matchups like Fires.

Anyway to have some fun I've been playing the Rakdos Aristocats deck, give it a try if you're bored of fields.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2307348#paper

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Zero VGS posted:

Also I have 15 lands in my loving deck, how do I keep pulling 2-3 in all my starting hands?

BO1 fixes your opening hand and draws

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Kawabata posted:

You make fun of this like it's nothing, but veteran players will mess this up in Tournaments too. Back when monou was tier 1 or close you could go and watch Shahar's or Caleb's streams where they would often discuss, well, when you should play a creature and when you should counterspell. Which wasn't obvious at all, even for them.

Wow, a streamer had to discuss a play they were making? This deck sounds insane.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Edit oops

Anyway. Final game!

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Yay they banned Field to the suprise of no one, except that guy who said it was most likely a Brawl ban.

Interesting to see how the meta shakes up after this... Standard will be interesting again.

Time to climb the ladder with Golos before it's banned :D

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
For those who missed it - WotC have created a new non-rotating format for paper and MTGO

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-pioneer-format-2019-10-21?c

Insurrectionist posted:

Making Pioneer so soon after making Historic would be a strange move at the best of times. Doing so while also completely neglecting Historic to the point of absurdity just feels like they're admitting Arena is gonna stay the 'standard and lovely sealed/draft variants' platform for the foreseeable future.

Yeah Historic is a token format and nothing more .Like just LOL at this:

quote:

But there's a gap. A sizeable one. The oldest Modern set came out in 2003—sixteen years ago. And now that Modern's card pool is this large, it no longer serves the needed role of "format where you can use your Standard cards after rotation."

Currently, there are no plans to add it as a format to Magic: The Gathering Arena.

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 22, 2019

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Tom Gorman posted:

the only magic format that matters is the Real Life Battle mode where you stand 10 paces apart from someone and throw piles of cards at each other until the loser collapses from exhaustion/papercuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
The only way to get back at someone spamming Oops is to beat them and win the game, when that's not possible just concede.

By roping you are proving that you are steaming mad, which is what they are trying to accomplish by spamming Oops.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

th3t00t posted:

Not looking forward to the control decks that are about to flood the meta.

I ran into an azorious control deck last night with gadwick the wizened as it’s win con and that was not fun at all. I had forgotten how unfun this game is against full control style decks.

RIP to the controlless meta.

I ran into an Azorius mono-counter deck last night and I wondered what the win con was, thanks. I was playing Golos so of course their deck was terrible. That wincon seems pretty lovely though unless I'm missing something?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

turboraton posted:

I'm getting so old I win game 1 and forget what I was facing so I can't sideboard properly lmao.

There's a view battlefield button on the sideboard screen

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Spiderdrake posted:

They don't "keep priority". The stack clears and the active player takes next action.

If there was something like "whenever a planeswalker enters the battlefield, do X" you could actually respond before they could use loyalty abilities. But they intentionally avoid printing cards that work with walkers!

This is also why you should use planeswalker abilities straight after resolving them. I've had opponent's play a planeswalker, then cast another spell to which I've destroyed their planeswalker without them getting any value from it.

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 25, 2019

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
The attacker is blocked, so they don't get through. Then the blocker is removed, but that doesn't change the fact the attacker was blocked.

Note if the attacker has trample, then all the damage goes through (which is probably what you are expecting)

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I played against that deck with Sultai Food and wasn't impressed. Just board in Veil, Mystical Dispute and Duress

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Turn 2 Oko

Or

Turn 3 Nissa / Turn 4 8/8 Krasis.

Standard! :imunfunny:

It also doesn't help that green has a 0 mana draw spell and 1 mana cryptic command.

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 29, 2019

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Paul Zuvella posted:

turn 2 oko and turn 3 nissa is literally impossible

Sorry two different lines of play, should have separated them.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
For what it's worth someone in the other thread said they play tested Oko and he's a lot different now. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a skullclamp style mistake where they changd the numbers late into the piece and nobody tested it. In any case I'm looking forward to the article discussing it.

Skullclamp article, good reading.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Jabor posted:

there's an innate regional matchmaking to an extent because the earth is a sphere

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Arena already holds events where they ban the popular meta cards.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Also nobody opens standard packs on MTGO so Oko is $63 online atm ($44 in paper) and peaked at $92, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Funkdreamer posted:

I made a comprehensive list of the best in-game cosmetics

1) Mu Yanling sleeve
2) Storybook styles

+Japanese Liliana sleeves

What do the mu yanling sleeves look like? It's hard to find pictures of the cosmetics online.