Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm relatively new to Arena, started playing a couple weeks ago after watching a bunch of Day9's stuff. I made a silly deck based on his Big Red Deck(with what cards I have available to me and using some wildcards) that has won me about 60% of the games I've played with it. But it's hilarious when it works right and just generally fun to play, though I obviously wish I had the resources his god account does to casually throw in any cards he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
afasgadhffdadfhj I wish there was an "undo last action if the opponent hasn't responded to it" option, I thought it was my opponent's end of turn which I'd put a manual stop at and Brash Taunter'd his big stompy guy, but it was right before combat and I realized that the instant I targeted it. dangit

also we all know the animations in the game are pretty loving dire at times, but I haven't seen anything quite as trash garbage as Moraug's animation, where it's literally just his head and horns from the card cut out and wiggled a bit to signify ~he's here~

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiderdrake posted:

Rumor was they don't think they'll look any good on mobile or something so they moved to lower effort animations

and/or everything else. I like the Drana one, though.
Have you not seen Brazen Borrower? Like yeah, Moraug is "We don't care anymore here's a head" but dancing jiggle beast wars fairy is just so bad for the effort put in.
it's bad, but like, you can see the loving artifacting on moraug's head. it's just a wiggly jpeg, I'll take PS2 3D models over a wiggly jpeg

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love this silly-rear end deck. I feel like nobody recognizes Brash Taunter as a serious threat, until a Fiery Emancipation drops and then it gets Thundering Rebuked(or whatever similar direct damage), dealing 36 damage to the face in one shot

What's the best way to get wildcards? Or is it only via boosters? I want to get some specific stuff to improve the deck, but I don't want to spend any more money on this game if I can help it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bust Rodd posted:

This is trap advice, this format is extremely swingy and even people who religiously follow the thread advice and post every draft deck in here are routinely going 0-3//1-3.

Drafting is a good way to get wildcards if you have the money to spend on gems and don’t mind it taking a long as time and playing a lot of magic

If you just want a lot of Zendikar cards for your decks, just spend gold on packs.
Well, it's more some specific mythics/rares spread across various sets in constructed that are difficult to acquire since I'm out of wildcards to use on them. I just got my fourth solemn simulacrum, for example, and I think I need about 5 or 6 more high end cards if I'm remembering right.

Was just curious if there was an easier way to get wildcards, but I guess it's get packs or draft to get them only. Oh well, I've almost finished the deck, so I'll just grind out the remainder.

And yeah, zendikar is fun as hell. They only have a single set quick draft (the cheap bot draft) up at a time, it's not nestled in some menu I'm not seeing, right? I'm not familiar with theros and want to do some more zendikar cheap drafts if there's a way to still do them right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there any good mono red artifact/enchantment destruction/exile option in constructed right now? My deck is sorely needing something for dealing with obnoxious poo poo like teferi's tutelage, banishing light, etc. or am I just boned? What's the best way to deal with annoying mill decks as mono red? I can occasionally burn them down faster than they can mill me out, but if they get out ahead of me even a little I'm done for.

I noticed there seems to be a lot less land destruction, or really much of anything that affects lands in current sets. Did they largely do away with armageddon and stone rain-style stuff in modern sets in order to make games go faster? I've relatively recent gotten back in(started collecting again with ikoria, and playing again with zendikar rising), and last played during urza block and mercadian masques before that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
modified my deck slightly, and I've been absolutely cruising through gold and platinum tier with it, lost maybe 3 times the entirety of gold and lost twice in plat before going on a winning streak with it. there are decks that it doesn't generally fare super well against, notably enchantment-heavy decks since I have literally no way to deal with enchantments as mono red, but sometimes even then I can burn them down before they can get going.

sure using two cards to take out one is considered ineffecient, but when that's a yorion or three it sure as hell helps when you slaying dragonfire + shock it the instant it drops, or storm's wrath to clear the field + a spikefield hazard on the yorion to exile it works too.

I'm thinking maybe slotting in an ugin or two, any other recommends? I initially took out the thundering rebukes and some of the other creature/planeswalker direct damage, but they deal with SO MANY major problem critters in one shot that I put some back in, and having exile effects means the spikefields and dragonfires are necessities against things like Kroxa-focused decks.

also, and I know this isn't exactly revelatory, but Bonecrusher Giant is insanely powerful. It's kind of crazy how good a card it is, definitely one of the still-legal cards that makes me go "what were they thinking?" It would already be good if it was just a 4/3 for 3 with the adventure ability to instantly do 2 damage to anything, but to also have the "if you target it" effect is nuts too.

boo_radley posted:

Remember that mono-red deck that somebody posted a few days ago with Fiery Emancipation, Irencrag Feats, and a few Brash Taunters? It's treating me really well. I ran up to Platinum with just 2 losses today. There's a bunch of extremely exciting and dumb possibilities, like hurting your own Taunter:

hell fuckin yeah it's super fun isn't it? The whole "blast your own taunter" gimmick is fantastic, the shenanigans about you managing to get a fiery emancipation down, then it triples the damage dealt to the taunter, which then gets tripled AGAIN when it blasts them in the face is the absolute best.

I should probably stick some Irencreg Feats in the deck, gotta actually get some first though.

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm personally going to test 2 Cragfeat and 2 Tyrant because I love that card
tyrant is bad in the deck imo. of any creature in the deck, if they have any removal whatsoever you're goddamn right it's getting nuked before you can do anything worthwhile with it.

IntravenusDiMilo posted:

How are you guys managing to make any of these Big Red decks work? I like the idea, but it seems to really eat poo poo against any decks with counters, and it seems a little too slow vs aggro.
my current version has enough card draw/yidaro to allow for slightly quicker buildup. the instant I get a simulacrum down things really kick into gear, either it then goes into chandra which lets me start liquidating hands for quick options or pinging, a second simulacrum into fiery emancipation into 6 damage shocks and stomps and 12 damage slaying fires, and vomiting bonecrushers and simulacrums onto the field to distract them until the hammer drops. In the meantime until then I generally have enough direct damage to prevent most creatures from being a problem. The Magmatic Channelers have wound up being surprisingly useful, early game as a chump/card draw, and late game as a cheap 4/4 with card draw.

if I get mana screwed, well, of course I die, but even if I only have 3 lands, there's enough direct damage and bonecrushers to delay most opponents I've encountered, even yorion decks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sometimes you get a hand that just was meant to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkh1d8AarzI&hd=1&t=5730s

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Right, right, I forgot to stick some molten blasts in there. Any other good artifact destruction to go for outside of those? Preferably common or uncommon since I've got plenty of wildcards for those.

Probably should grab some song-mad treacheries for the stompy-heavy decks like the reanimator one that shits out a titanoth rex into the graveyard and then reanimates it on like turn 4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Stangg posted:

Perhaps thundering rebuke out and shredded sails in the main would be good switch.
thanks everyone, this is probably what I'll do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
facing a rogue mill deck who is sad I am killing all his rogues so he's purposely letting the timer tick down to a hairsbreadth away from timing out, then moving on.

the current match has been going on for like 20 minutes now

it's fine because I can alt tab and read stuff while he's being an idiot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

boo_radley posted:

it's so loving good when it goes off, right?
it is a drug and I need my hit every time I see it.

there's a fair amount of comedy in this game from just contextual clues due to it indicating when someone is hovering over a card, when you drop fiery emancipation and they don't have an answer for it, you'll often see the white border around it sit there for a bit and I like to imagine they're just reenacting this scene from independence day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWNFB71MvTs&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
mill decks make me want to be That Guy who wastes as much of the other player's time as possible.

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sad that I couldn't get to diamond this month. I made it to Plat 1 and then hit a brick wall
I made it to 1 pip before Plat 1 and now I'm back down to halfway through Plat 3 after a string of going up against mill and enchantment-focused decks.

Stomped the poo poo out of the rogue decks among them though, which was cathartic. But boy howdy are there a lot of those three decks, and also Yorions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know, I know, I shouldn't be complaining when I'm so new to modern magic, but I just don't really know how I can beat mill decks. Unless I get a perfect hand and stomp the poo poo out of them in 5 turns, they'll often teferi's tutelege me to death, and forget it if they get a maddening cacophony off, especially kicked. I managed to take one out before it eradicated my deck in like half a dozen turns and I still only had 14 cards left.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jabor posted:

The answer really is just "be faster". If your opponent is spending their early turns playing stuff like Tutelage and Cacophany instead of doing things that affect the board, then you should be beating them in five or so turns even with a medium-quality draw. If your deck can only do that with a god hand, and isn't a control deck that's dedicated to disrupting whatever your opponent does so it can win in a long game, your deck is significantly below the typical power level of decks in this format.

e: Are you still on Big Red? Yeah, that's probably just going to have the problem that it's too slow to race mill, and has no way to interact with most of their cards. Sometimes a deck just has a dog matchup like that, you know? If you're seeing a metagame that's profoundly hostile to your current deck, often it's worthwhile switching instead of trying to fight through it.
Yeah, I'm still on my variation of Big Red. I think I have to say goodbye to the Brash Taunters, as sad as it is to do so, I LIVE for those times you can get it out at the same time as Fiery Emancipation and then the opponent just evaporates from a single Shock. I also got rid of the Valakut Explorations, they're good but I have the worst luck in the world and always get my Yidaros with it, and you can't cycle cards from exile.

This is what I'm running currently, slowly, ever so slowly modifying it as I get wildcards and can craft rares/mythics I want to add. Need to get some Irencrag Feats badly so I can more easily get the Fiery Emancipations and Ugins out earlier, definitely had multiple games where I was literally one turn away from completely turning things around and winning.

The one card I have found that is shockingly useful against Mill decks is Magmatic Channeler. When they mill you on the second turn and you drop a 4/4 they're forced to deal with, it's real nice. I might craft a fourth one to add, it's been extremely useful for desperation draws as well.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’s worth mentioning that Big Red might be a fun deck, an interesting deck, or even a powerful deck, but it is not a good deck, at least not judging it by the axis that any other decks in the format are being judged by.
oh I'm not saying it's top tier or anything, but I have been able to hold my own against most opponents outside of mill and enchantment-based decks. Almost everything that uses creatures it just rolls all over, and I have even been able to outpace heavy counterspell-using decks, but stuff like Elspeth Conquers Death and the often corresponding flickering shenanigans, and prison-heavy decks are anathema to it. Though I have been able to occasionally burn down the enemy with direct damage in those cases at times.

What other good direct damage cards could I slip into the deck? Roiling Eruption is nice but a sorcery, any more instant-speed stuff on the level of shock, spikefield hazard, slaying fire etc that can hit face at instant speed?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 31, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Klowner posted:

Is 23 land enough? Valakut awakening might be good here.
I do occasionally get mana screwed, but once I get a simulacrum or two down, almost everything else comes rolling in quickly. Chandra and Channeler are very useful for getting more land on the spot if need be. Watching Day9 further explore the possibilities of his deck, he had Valakut Awakenings in there but ultimately cut them because they were rarely ever actually useful. But I've almost never used Shatterskull Smashing as its face card, so maybe I'll swap that out and put in a couple Awakenings instead.

thespaceinvader posted:

Are you playing any Escape cards? Even a set of Underworld Rage Hound can help a lot, I think you were on mono red?
I do need to get some Phoenix of Ash, but in the meantime that Rage Hound looks like a good placeholder.

If I were to slot some of the escape cards in, what would be good to replace with them?

Thanks for the help and recommendations!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

thespaceinvader posted:

Depends what's in the list already. Replace 2 drops with 2 drops, 3 drops with 3 drops.
Alright. Not sure what would be best for replacement in the main deck though. Should I just maindeck Phoenix of Ash? I don't really want to get rid of any of my current creatures, the Simulacrums are so useful as ramp, a chumper and card draw that I'm hesitant to pull any of them out.

also, just went against a dude who dropped 3 Underworld Dreams as soon as he could, and I Irencrag Feat -> Fiery Emancipation'd soon as I had 4 mana. I was almost dead already and Stomp + 2x Shock'd him, he was at 2 and I was at 7, he dropped a card that made me draw 2 bringing me down to 1, and I would die on my next draw. But the two cards he made me draw had a Spikefield Hazard, so I figured I'd ping him in response to my draw phase right after I untapped and kill both of us at the same time, I didn't realize you died the instant your health goes under zero, I thought it was at the end of the current phase so like, lifegain could bring you back above it.

Boy that was a surprising and satisfying win. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, I have to ask, why can't I react to a creature entering play and the opponent playing a land to trigger landfall etc? So many times my opponent drops a scute swarm or similar landfall motherfucker and I would like to blast it after it enters play but before they can play a land, but I can only seemingly react to them then playing a land.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aha, it's been a while so I wasn't sure. Thanks. So the only way to deal with it is to counter it before it actually lands and can activate an ability.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, I remembered how the stack worked, but I just forgot about priority until a stack actually happens. still a bit rusty, it's been a couple decades, I remembered most of the basics but that particular was lost to time. :v:

edit: look, I know most currently non-banned cards are relatively "fair", but Ruin Crab really, really should've been a 2 toughness critter rather than a 3. I just had this encounter:

their turn 1: island, ruin crab

my turn 1: mountain

their turn 2: ruin crab, island, mill me for 6

my turn 2: mountain, scorching dragonfire to remove one of the ruin crabs

their turn 3: ruin crab, fabled passage, use fabled passage, mill me for 12

it just seems a teensy bit powerful and durable for a 1 drop. and it's just kinda thrown in there, the rest of their deck wasn't mill-focused at all, it's something you can put in any deck with blue mana because it's dirt cheap and tanky and infuriating.

I know, I'm just grousing, but it's just such a tedious goddamn card and I see it in everything that runs blue in gold tier.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 1, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
implying only a specific mill deck is disgusting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Current mono-red deck, I just cruised through the first two tiers of Plat with it this morning. Wish I could justify putting the Brash Taunters back in, but they basically never see play, once I'm hitting 4+ land things tend to go very quickly since I generally have simulacrums pulling more land out and then the big stuff starts hitting. Only things it has lots of trouble with are the above fuckers with their goddamn crab mill decks(by the time I'm even capable of dealing with the crabs they've probably milled at least a quarter of my deck with that fabled passage poo poo), some rogue decks, and typical prison/control or enchantment-heavy decks. everything else is often steamrolled.

I just slotted in two Soul Sears to deal with bigger baddies and the occasional indestructible lad. Seems like a pretty good card and can deal with planeswalkers handily too. The Magma Channelers are getting better and better as I continue to use them, whether it's problems with getting land, or decks with no creatures in them, or just simply getting more options, magma channeler does a fantastic job at giving me more to do in less time. and they're fairly useful against mill decks as well, if they mill a bunch of my spells then suddenly they've got some 4/4 bears to deal with too. Their ability isn't so great when you happen to pull both ugins or both fiery emancipations out of the deck at the same time, though. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've not played any historic but I have most of sultai uro. Worth finishing the deck?

edit: Becoming a real big fan of Ugin "The Good Player Card," which turns you into a good player. It feels like there's a strong pull in every color to just try to find a way to play Ugin and trivialize the game.
I am a fan of ugin, the "expensive but actually can deal with problems my color literally is incapable of" card

If an eight mana card is what I have to use to deal with enchantments or reanimator decks as mono red, I'll take it.

Adun posted:

Wicked wolf is so goddamned good
yeah, it's really fantastic and a huge pain in the rear end. Outside of soul sear(or ugin :v: ), is there really a decent way to deal with it with mono red? Kinda wish scorching dragonfire or other exile if killed cards would still exile something like that if it dealt lethal damage, because otherwise I'm not sure how to deal with them, theros gods, etc with mono red. Had a game earlier today where my opponent dropped 3 of them, I managed to get one out in the open with no food, a second with a storm's wrath, and the third was irrelevant thanks to fiery emancipation killing the player, but those little buggers made it really drat tense. I was just chucking everything I had in their way to prevent them from killing me.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 8, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
heck yeah, went from the start of gold to diamond in about a week with my modified Big Red deck.

I have little doubt that's as far as I'll get, though, unless somehow the decks in diamond are about the same as the ones in plat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Klowner posted:

How has yidaro been working out in your build?
It's a decent cycling surprise, but later on its also good for a quick normal dropped 8 damage hit before it probably gets nuked by a bloodchief's thirst or something.

A turn 4 irencrag feat into yidaro has had my opponent concede basically instantly about about a half dozen times so far if they don't have an immediate answer for it, which is fun. :v: plus even if they kill it next turn, I have enough direct damage to probably finish them off if they don't lock me down right after.

Yidaro is a very odd card but is also quite good against slow, counter focused decks. And if you manage to get the cycling play out, any further yidaros are 2 mana uncounterable casts I believe.

One deck I have been running up against more lately is the zenith flare cycling deck. How do I beat these bastards? I seem to never be able to get them down fast enough even with a good hand, and they can just zenith flare a bunch of damage/health in a pinch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

thespaceinvader posted:

there's some decks you just can't beat, and big red is gonna REALLY struggle against cycling unless you specifically tech against it (i.e. pack Scorching Dragonfire, Spikefield Hazard, Tormod's Crypt etc) at which point you might have a good chance, but you'll be weaker against the field.

Cycling is a huge struggle for your archetype because your way of getting to turn 5 to 8 where you win the game is killing their early threats with damage, and that just increases their Zenith Flare.
Yeah, I dragonfire'd his flourishing foxes and spikefielded his other critters and he still eventually got to the point he could kill me. poo poo was nuts. at this point I just open up a match against a cycling deck with the crying hedron emoji because I know it's a foregone conclusion at that point

I'm tempted to just maindeck tormod's crypt, honestly. I run into a lot of mill, rogue, and cycling decks now so it feels like it'd be useful to have at least half the time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forgot that card existed, actually. I'll toss one or two of those in instead, since I can basically "cycle" it if it's not a relevant enemy deck.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
diamond seems way, way easier than platinum. a lot more formulaic decks(usually rogues), so I know what to expect instead of the wildcard decks I saw a ton of in plat, and can juke out bloodchief's thirsts and binding lights and such. currently at a bit over an 80% win rate in diamond, already up to tier 2 in one session.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

There's no reason to play Tormod's Crypt, especially maindeck. Soul-Guide Lantern is just better

Bust Rodd posted:

FTR Soul-Guide Lantern does nothing against Rogues except for potentially eating their Lurrus, whereas eating your own GY with Tormod’s Crypt does actually slow them down and deactivates their Into the Stories and debuffs their rogues.
yep, I actually just lost a game specifically because I went with lantern instead of tormod's crypt. tormod's would have let me exile my own graveyard, gimping their rogues, but I didn't realize the lantern only allows ENEMY graveyards to be exiled.

the ability to draw a card is nice, yes, but being able to nuke my own graveyard does have its uses. being able to do it before zareth san can grab an ugin or some poo poo is also an option.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bust Rodd posted:

You could also be running some phoenixes or 2-3 Ox of Agonas if you’re playing Big Red.

All the lists I saw had 1 Ox main and 2 in the Board.
I just ran into a deck with Ox of Agonas and that seems like a good substitute for crypt/lantern. I'm not too familiar with Theros, I think it came out right before I got back in around Ikoria, when I can I'll grab a couple of those. thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is it not possible to get the godzilla: doom inevitable skin for yidaro anymore? I really want it, I want my boy to make that SKREEEEOOOOONK when he hits the field :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well that didn't take long at all.

got blueballed at the very end of diamond by mistakenly blocking a crawling barrens with a simulacrum when it would've only taken me down to 1 health and the simulacrum would've been the lethal damage needed alongside my yidaro to win the match, but because I wasted it blocking the barrens, the next turn I wasn't able to do anything about the barrens and got flattened. but it's all good now.

diamond is so loving ridiculously full of rogue decks and I can only assume so is mythic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
tyrant and terror seem like powerful cards but they would get nuked almost instantly every time I played them before they could be of any use.

magmatic channeler is the same, and why I have 4 of them. they are excellent distractions for bloodchief's thirsts, I just kept popping them out in a recent match against a rogue control deck and managed to get them to waste all their counters and thirsts on those little guys, then dropped an ugin they couldn't answer anymore and that was that.

I can't get an Ox yet, but I slotted in some Rage Hounds and boy those guys are insanely annoying to deal with if the enemy doesn't have exile removal. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Klowner posted:

I went 1-6 yesterday in the play queue with my own version of big red and I was pretty sad about it :(
what are you doing with yours, can you post it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SalTheBard posted:

I want to cry, I finally made Diamond. This is the highest ranked I've ever been. My goal this month is to make Mythic for the first time ever.
But how did you make it to diamond, unfortunately if it's through a rogue/mill deck we will have to confiscate your badge immediately

Jabor posted:

Also note that your Brushfire Elemental, Questing Beast and anything with Trample (Embercleave) can just rumble past it, and only really need to worry about the fight effect. Your opponent can't play Taunter until 5 mana, so you should have them on the back foot by the point.
Turn four irencrag feat into brash taunter, masterful play

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Klowner posted:

Easy mistake, given that it has every other ability

Post your big red deckkkkkk

I want to see what might be causing you trouble

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay, so you're playing the typical yorion flicker control bullshit deck. It's turn five. you have Elspeth's Nightmare out. you know you will have the ability to flicker it once to be able to pick two cards from my hand to force a discard. your opponent, me, has four mountains and nothing else, and these four cards in hand:

Fire Prophecy
Storm's Wrath
Slaying Fire
Ugin, The Spirit Dragon

Dear readers, WHICH TWO CARDS DO YOU CHOOSE FOR ME TO DISCARD?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
fire prophecy first, then slaying fire.

they took so long to get going that I got enough land even with my eighth being a spikefield hazard and I wiped the board with ugin, then got a chandra, then they banished the chandra instead of the ugin and just punched ugin with an omen of the sun weenie instead, and the next two turns I got fiery emancipation down, he banished ugin finally(instead of the emancipation!), and the following turn I got a yidaro and hit him for 24 to end it

I just was utterly baffled the entire time why they were so against dealing with ugin first and foremost. and they're ranked in the like 1100's! did they not understand how much of a threat ugin is, I just don't get it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jabor posted:

There's a good bait in that situation - on the surface, it looks like the red deck can't get to 8 mana next turn (even if they topdeck the Feat, there's no 5th land to go with it), so it's safe to take the Slaying Fire first (in case you're worried about the red-deck-just-burns-you-out gameplan), and then pick up the Ugin on the flicker.

Unless... the red deck throws away the Fire Prophecy and Storm's Wrath just to draw, and has Irencrag Feat + a land as their top two cards.
that's what I figured their game plan was, but then they continued to leave ugin on the field even afterwards and got rid of chandra instead. chandra's +1 to discard your hand and draw 3 exiled cards is a serious threat, for sure, but ugin builds up to 10 so ridiculously fast and he didn't have a second banishing light until ugin was already back to 7 from 2(with a few pings from weenies).

but also, there were no creatures on the board at that point, so the fire prophecy was useless unless he dropped an omen of the sun, which he did much later, far past it being relevant to the hypothetical. most everything else was by the book, standard removal and denial, but he seemed extremely averse to dealing with ugin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Klowner posted:

It's in a constant state of flux. The one thing I'm really missing that could really unlock the deck is magmatic channelers, of which I have none, but I'm not willing to craft them just yet

The one thing I changed from your original list that I'm sure I'm sure about is cutting the yidaro's for mazemind tomes. The versatility of the tome is extremely relevant on turns 3 thru 5 when missing a land drop feels like a knife in the gut. A 7 mana 8/8 trample haste is flashy, but it's coming out way too late against rogues, gruul and mono g to be relevant. I just want more cards.

When I get home I'll post my current build.

I would really recommend getting at least some magmatic channelers, they are so useful in many ways and also are excellent cheap distractions. And against mill decks they become 4/4 basically immediately, which generally forces the use of drown in the loch, bloodchief's thirsts, etc.

I know there is more optimal choices than yidaro in the big red deck, but man its so fun to drop an irencrag feat into yidaro on turn 4. Especially if they don't have an immediate answer for it. :v:

Also I still can't find any info on if it's possible to still get godzilla skins. I used some of my gem earnings to pick up a bunch of ikoria packs since apparently you used to get some skins from getting the 15 pack bundle, but no dice anymore it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm debating whether I should slot in Roils instead of Fire Prophecy for the face-shooting utility, honestly. fire prophecy is nice for the emergency card recycle, but it also can't shoot planeswalkers at all, only creatures, and that's a real hindrance at times. definitely had a few situations where an Ashiok or Narset or something popped out that I could've dealt with real quick with a one-two combo if I hadn't had a Fire Prophecy in hand but a roil or other walker-targeting direct damage.