Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I just finished 4 drafts. Wow, Amonkhet Remastered is one of the fastest formats I've ever played, just brutal in terms of aggro. I remember triple Amonkhet being fast, but then Hour of Devastation slowing it down enough that there were legit ramp and control decks. This is way closer to the former. I've died on turn 5 to a 2 mana 4/4 that got flying.

Tips if you've never played:

ALWAYS go first if you can.

If you don't have a two drop of either a creature or removal, you're probably dead. If you don't have a 2 or 3 drop and you're on the draw, you're definitely dead.

All of the Cartouches are very good on their own, but they're amazing with the trials.

Don't count on reliably blocking anything. There's a lot that of stuff that either makes stuff unblockable or gives things flying. Exerting most creatures basically makes them have higher attack than what they should be on curve. There's a lot of stuff that attacks for 3 or 4 on turn 3.

Milling and Discard are both not great because of the speed of the format, but also because with Embalm, Eternalize, and Afterlife, there's a lot of action you could be drawing your opponents into.

Color fixing is actually decent, especially in green, but playing a 3 mana ramp spell is really not what you want to be doing. The 2/4 that exerts for 2 mana is better. Other than Sandwurm Convergence, Nicol Bolas, or God Pharaoh's Gift, you probably shouldn't be ramping. Just casting Greater Sandwurms or Striped Riverwinder isn't good enough.

Don't be afraid to cycle stuff. You're going to be cycling Striped Riverwinder 9 times out of 10 vs casting it. The cycling deserts are also somewhat high picks.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Weed Atwater posted:

Could someone take a look at my draft and tell me where I went wrong? Specifically, I'm wondering if I could have built a better deck out of my pool. I went 5-3, halfway through I swapped out 1 copy of Legion's Judgment and Azusa, Lost but Seeking for an Ornery Dilophosaur and Concordia Pegasus. In retrospect it feels like my big mistake was running one copy of Garruk's Uprising instead of both.

Other questions - was cultivate the best card in Pack 1 Pick 2? I was between that and the Spined Megalodon, and ended up Green/White instead of in Blue. I'm feeling similarly mixed about my Pack 1 Pick 3 choice, but either of those cards seems situational and Garruk's Uprising ended up being better for the deck I built.

Appreciate the help - it's been good to get back into limited.

I don't think Cultivate is very good in draft. I probably wouldn't have run one, much less two when your curve ends at 5. You're not really ramping into anything quicker and 3 mana to thin your deck of lands and not affect the board is not great in a format as aggro as M21. I would have cut both Cultivates and Azusa for the 2nd Garruk's Uprising, Concordia Pegasus, Ornery Dilophosaur or maybe Portculis Vine. The biggest issue is having only 3 creatures that cost less than 4.

Your Pack 1 Pick 2 is a really awful pack where the best cards are Pegasus and Crab, so I understand the tough choice there. Most of those cards are unplayable so it's tough to get a read on a direction from that.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Network42 posted:

I'm a terrible player, but out of 4 drafts I feel like amonkhet kinda sucks?

It's the same hyper-aggro as M21 but with way more unbeatable bullshit bombs. I played a sealed where my opponent went t4 Hazoret t6 Locust God.

I realize part of it is my unfamiliarity with the format, but the similarities were really striking out of those games.

No, that pretty much describes it. It's a faster more-bomb heavy m21. I think the pool of cards is more fun than m21, but it is way more rare/mythic driven than common/uncommon driven. Sometimes your opponent just curves 2 drop, 3 drop, 4 drop, God or Glorybringer and there's nothing you could have done. Having it be Best of One only also really hurts it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Inquest gave Force of Will one star in their preview rankings. Balduvian Hordes they put up with Black Lotus as one of the best cards ever.

Don't forget when they said Necropotence was one of the worst cards ever made and then it dominated constructed for the following several years.

As for new Jace, it looks really bad on paper, but maybe it's actually insane and it has to be played to tell. I don't know what deck would want that. I don't know if control decks want to basically be cycling a card for 3 mana and it doesn't do enough for tempo or midrange decks to want it. The fact that it doesn't affect the board at all is probably a good signifier of its power level. I feel like Teferi and Gadwick are way better blue card draw engines, but who knows. Maybe playing it at five mana and just plusing the token to scry and build its loyalty while the actual Jace draws the cards is the right way to play it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Maybe I'm just being a sourpuss but (and I say this with the caveat that I'm quite interested to draft Rising) I have a feeling Standard is going to be pretty bad po-ro

I have a feeling Zendikar is going to have a very small impact for sure, with the exception of the new mythics lands/spell flip cards, so you're probably going to still have Temur Adventures, Uro/Ugin Ramp, and mono-red Embercleave, just with a few special lands mixed in here and there.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

I find myself rooting for any deck, no matter how degenerate, against a deck that includes Breeding Pools in it

:hmmyes:

Between Uro, The Sac Decks, CoCo, and Goblins, are we at the point in historic where maindecking Grafdigger's Cage is now correct?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Historic Brawl Pauper needs to be a permanent mode.

:hmmyes:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I feel like Makindi Ox is the most underrated common right now, at least in white. It's bigger than 80% of the creatures in this format, and it's landfall trigger makes it so your opponent doesn't want to attack you in a race situation and can't plan any blocks ahead of time. It's fantastic in aggro/tempo, and it's a big body if you need it on defense. It's rare that there's a game where I draw it where it doesn't put in a ton of work.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Every time I see this, it's usually a streamer. I think the most I've seen is 7 packs stacked up on one guy.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Please ban motherfucking Brazen Borrower, holy poo poo. I was like 'this card seems average, why is it at Mythic?' and then the Lucky Clovers came out :stonk:

Borrower is like the best example of a card that's obviously pushed but still completely 100% fair.

If he was a 6/6 that could also block and also draws you a card and gains you life and can also be cast from the graveyard, then maybe.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Lol, I just had a guy rope me for countering his Genesis Ultimatum. I can't even imagine what kind of person plays a broken deck and then just rage quits when someone happens to have interaction.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

So I built the UB Rogues deck that everyone in this thread loves so much and went from Silver to Platinum with it last night. The funniest play was turn 4 Zareth San reanimating an Ugin that I had milled into an opponent's graveyard. For people who have been playing it longer, I have a few questions:

I had a bunch of match against some new R/B control deck running Kroxa, Thunderous Wrath, Extinction Event, Bonecrusher, and Terror of the Peaks. I got absolutely destroyed by this deck every single time. This is obviously a terrible match up, does anyone else have experience against this deck? Any tips? I've played against it in BO1 cues more than Omnath. I have Cling to Dust and Negate in the sideboard for BO3, but 8 wraths plus an almost guaranteed Kroxa every turn is rough for BO1.

What are good answers against a resolved Garruk's Harbinger other than blocking it with a deathtouch creature?

This deck runs out of gas really fast. I put in a playset of Frantic Inventory just for some sort of card draw, but I'm wondering if there's any better card draw others are trying. Omen of the Sea maybe since the scry might be more useful? Has anyone tried Sea Dasher Octopus? I'm thinking of running those over Nighthawk Scavenger.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

That said, Rogues is very popular right now so a lot of decks are putting in a bunch of Escape creatures. Ox, Kroxa, and Chainweb Aracnir I've been seeing a lot.

Phoenix of Ash too. I was running into a ton of that card yesterday. We're approaching a weird rock-paper-scissors metagame where Rogues beat Omnath, Escape control decks beat Rogues, and Omnath probably beats the escape control decks unless 8 wraths is enough to also beat Omnath.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I ran into a 4 Color Omnath Adventures deck that was also running Embercleave. So now we have decks that are jamming literally every busted card into one singular good stuff deck. I have to say I was not expecting a random Embercleave when they attacked with a Bonecrusher.

Also why is Traditional BO3 draft not ranked? BO1 sucks, but it's the only way to rank up?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

ex post facho posted:

ok t3 concede from rogue mill when they hit kroxa and ox of agonas with their ruin crab is my new favorite thing :q:

Yeah, I think Rogues have been pretty much hated out of the metagame, at least in Bo1, for the time being. Everyone was playing it because it was the one deck that had game against the Omnath/Uro nonsense, but it just folds to anything running Kroxa/Phoenix/Arachnid and still has a rough time against Adventures since it can't answer Clover.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The Fool posted:

You say that, but just finished a match with one.

They don't have much of an answer for embercleave + shadowspear either.

It's definitely not impossible to beat Adventures, but Bonecrusher being like a 3-for-1 if they have clover since it kills two creatures and requires a removal spell when it comes down is rough for a deck that can't match the card advantage of Adventures.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

71% of the Standard metagame being Omnath is probably a problem

72% of decks have Lucky Clover
85% of decks are Green

Great metagame, guys

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

This format needs the hard restart it should have gotten 2 weeks ago. Ban Omnath, Embercleave, Clover, and Escape to the Wilds. Maybe Bonecrusher just because I can't remember a time when there was a card where 31/32 of the decks at the protour played it despite it actually being pretty fair in a vacuum.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I love my Tamiyo avatar because I almost never see anyone else using it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I'm not that scared of Rogues taking over. It's easily hated with the right stuff because you can still 1-for-1 deal with everything in the deck except Into the Story. Kroxa, Phoenix, and Arachnir are almost impossible for them to deal with and forces them to play maindeck Cling To Dust. Also instant speed interaction might be good again now that Omnath isn't 3-for-1ing, so stuff like Heartless Act, Fire Prophecy, Swift Response, are all good against them. Maybe Shatter the Sky is playable again.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Pvt. Parts posted:

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to be doing with the Spikefields Hazards in this deck? I guess as an extra ping to face or as a way to pick off a creature threat? They just never feel relevant enough when not becoming clutchlands.

Other than the obvious Innkeepers, it also kills Brazen Borrower, Thieves Guild Enforcer, Merfolk Windrider, Lotus Cobra, Fervent Champion, and can ping a Kroxa before it sacs itself to exile it. It's pretty low cost to run a couple in any standard red deck.

Gridlocked posted:

So after my 80% win rate into Diamond with UB, I am now getting flattened in every match because people have learnt to use Phoenix of Ash. gently caress :(

Sideboard some Epic Downfalls and Cling To Dust

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Technowolf posted:

Can someone help me by breaking down where I went wrong in this draft (picks/deck) and why?

Pack 1 Pick 3: Drana's Silencer is not really a rogue card, it's pretty expensive and is only really a payoff in the party decks. If you're going to into U/B, I would take Into the Roil or Umara Wizard over Silencer.
Pack 2 Pick 1: Vanquish the Weak is way better than a second Mind Drain. I think someone calculated it and like 85% of creatures in the format die to Vanquish.
Pack 2 Pick 3: I like Pelakka Predation and Geyser Mage a little more than Anticognition. The flip lands are usually high picks because they're basically free cards to play and Anticognition isn't hard to pick up if you want it.
Pack 2 really seemed like your colors were being cut pretty hard as they dried up by about pick 6.
Pack 3 Pick 1: Zof Consumption, Deadly Alliance, and Field Research are better for your deck than Glacial Grasp.
Pack 3 Pick 5: That's a late Blackbloom Rogue and is probably better than Skulker
Pack 3 Pick 8: I'd probably take a Cascade Seer over a 3rd Blood Beckoning. You really need more creatures and Seer is probably scrying for 2 most of the time if you have a rogue out.
Pack 3 Pick 10: Zof Consumption is just free since it's also a land and you really don't need 3 Mind Drains.

As for your deck, Into the Roil is maybe the best blue common and it's way better than Glacial Grasp, A 3rd Anticognition, Spare Supplies or Mind Drain. Your final deck only has 6 creatures, making your Blood Beckonings, Relic Vial, and Mind Carver really bad. I'd probably throw Gloomhunter, Highborn Vampire, Dreadwurm, and Living Tempest in the deck just to up the creature count.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 22, 2020

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Mox Hombre posted:

remind me never to draft BG in this format ever again. every time I think it might work this time, it fucks me over. I opened the BG legendary rare followed by a skeleton and then a few removal spells, draw spells, menace snakes, 2/3 crocodiles and a couple of those dauntless survivors and even a scute swarm. Anyway, it seems to me like the payoffs just aren't there and you don't have any good 2 drops because all the gnarlid colonies get stolen by the three UG drafters at the table

I went 7-0 with a G/B deck yesterday. I think the key is understanding that the +1 counter synergy isn't great, snake and crocodile are bad, but having a combo of fat creatures and removal is pretty decent.

Here's what I ended up with. It's more of a kicker themed deck with a minor +1 counter subtheme. And yeah, Drana is super busted.

The more I play this format, I'm realizing that creatures with flying are absolutely at a premium. There's alot of creatures with 3-4 power that just create giant board stalls and it's always an Angel or Gargoyle flying over the top that wins the game.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 22, 2020

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

IMJack posted:

Arena has been matching me against the same drat Genesis Ultimatum deck all day. I'm a little sick of it.

Yep, Genesis Ultimatum is still a really dumb card that demands a counter even without Omnath casting it on turn 4. I had someone hit 3 Terror of the Peaks off of one yesterday, which just instantly killed me.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

So Momir is sweet but it's also broken. I've had several matches just end in draws because of unknown errors and even weird stuff is happening like if a creature token is bounced to your hand, it actually becomes a copy of that card in your hand. Immortal Phoneix died and returned to my hand as a normal card, that I could just cast it infinite number of times.

There's also a ton of non-historic cards in here. I learned Griselbrand and Jin Gitaxias are apparently programmed into Arena. Also Hoverguard Sweepers at 8 mana is fun.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 23, 2020

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Well that sucks. I was excited to play Momir all day, but I guess you can add it to the stack of things that the newest patch completely broke.

Also Maul is way better than Roost pick 1. Maul demands an immediate answer and if you're playing best of 1, your opponent probably doesn't have any way to destroy it maindeck. Maul makes any creature into a must kill threat. Roost is a good engine card, but Maul is a straight up bomb.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

edit: Also, can anyone give me a rundown on Eldraine draft? I wasn't playing during that but I'd like to give it a go.

I'm of the opinion that Eldraine is one of the less great limited formats of the last few years, but here's some tips from what I remember.

Adventure cards are inherent 2-for-1s in terms of card advantage, so take them early and highly. There are a couple archetypes that are traps and unplayable, so careful not to draft them. U/R Draw 2 is really bad unless you either get the rare Pyromancer or at least 2 of the gold uncommon that makes faeries. It just gets run over by every other deck. U/W Enchantments is also very bad and has almost no real pay offs and even the gold uncommon is subpar. Mono-colored is ideal, but almost impossible to draft, so you'll likely want to be a deck that's like 75% one color with a light splash of a second. Mono Blue is probably the best mono colored deck if it's open.

The other archetypes are
B/G Food
R/W, B/W, and B/R Knights.
U/G and W/G Adventures
U/B Mill
R/G Non-Humans

And if your opponent plays Oko, just concede.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Bugsy posted:

gently caress me I've been on a slide in standard all week.

3-18 in plat 4 with 5 different decks. Just cannot get anything close to a win streak together. I'm like .500 with kroxa mid, but I just don't like playing that deck. I'm sick of doom mirrors and really sick of yorion mirrors.

Yeah Yorion mirrors are some of the grindiest games I've ever played.

The metagame has kind of shifted away from Kroxa. Everyone was playing Kroxa because it was good against Rogues. Now everyone's playing Skyclave Apparition and Glass Casket in their Yorion decks, which Kroxa isn't great against.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Shredded Sails is only 1R, has cycling, and can kill fliers too.

I just want to quote this because Shredded Sails is really good main-deckable tech in standard right now. It kills most Rogues, Embercleave, Great Henge, Stonecoil, and Glass Casket. I play one main deck and two sideboard and my Grixis control deck and it's almost never felt dead.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Splash Attack posted:

what is a good counter deck for rogues because i am extremely salty about being constantly milled from plat 2 to plat 3

I play a Grixis control deck that runs a bunch of cheap removal and 4 Kroxas and it just bodies rogues. It's got game against most aggro decks too, it's great against Mono-Red and Mono-white, and Mono-green if you can kill their Oozes and keep Vivian off the battlefield. It is unfortunately not great against the various Yorion flavors that people have started doing, but that's the rock paper scissors metagame that standard is right now.

4 Bloodchief's Thirst
2 Spikefield Hazard
4 Frantic Inventory
2 Mazemind Tome
3 Eliminate
3 Heartless Act
4 Negate
4 Kroxa
1 Shatterskull Smashing
2 Whirlwind Denial
3 Extinction Event
1 Hagraa Mauling
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Muse
2 Shark Typhoon

2 Fabled Passage
4 Swamp
2 Island
2 Mountain
3 Temple of Deceit
2 Temple of Epiphany
1 Temple of Malice
4 Clearwater Pathway
2 Riverglide Pathway

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 28, 2020

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if any of you watch CovertGoBlue (CGB) on Youtube, but holy poo poo the video he released today has a really incredible game in it. It's a 30 minute game between 2 Yorion Control Decks that is a really compelling watch.

Match 2 Game 2 where he's up against Rogues and wins with zero cards in his library is one of the craziest matches I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyrjC8gUNwE

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I have been reading Torbran as 'times two' and not 'plus two' until now :downs: I still drop removal on him ASAP, though.

This is still a good habit because Torbran is always the precurser to an Embercleave the following turn.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Yoked posted:

I am looking forward to messing about with Sram, Bomat Courier and Scrapheap Scrounger in Historic.

I’m guessing the Gearhulks won’t be very playable. Also wondering if Chandra can find a home but there are so many of her that do similar things so who knows.

Torrential Gearhulk will probably see play in U/W control.

I want more than anything for there to be a viable Panharmonicon deck with like Yorion and Cloudblazer, but the format is probably way too fast for that.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Is Historic Best of 3 just endless flavors of U/W control? Like Best of 1 is ok though there's always the chance Gruul aggro just runs you over on turn 3, but man, I imagine that Best of 3 is just endless control mirrors.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Time posted:

It’s not

After 5 U/W control matches in a row, I'm not sure I believe you

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

ex post facho posted:

kinda feel like shattered sails is a better sub for yidaro with all the cleaves/henges floating around

Shattered Sails is also great against Rogues since most of their stuff flies. It also blows up Glass Casket and Stonecoil Serpent. It's maybe the most underplayed card in standard right now. Rakdos is kind of the only deck that it's just dead against, but you can just cycle it.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Simone Poodoin posted:

This despicable evil deck is still pretty good for historic brawl

Commander
1 Thryx, the Sudden Storm (THB) 76

Deck
1 Opt (XLN) 65
1 Negate (RIX) 44
1 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Dream Eater (GRN) 38
1 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Essence Capture (RNA) 37
1 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
1 Quench (RNA) 48
1 Thought Collapse (RNA) 57
1 Callous Dismissal (WAR) 44
1 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
1 No Escape (WAR) 63
1 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
1 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
1 Bone to Ash (M20) 48
1 Convolute (M20) 55
1 Unsummon (M20) 78
1 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
1 Didn't Say Please (ELD) 42
1 Gadwick, the Wizened (ELD) 48
1 Midnight Clock (ELD) 54
1 Turn into a Pumpkin (ELD) 69
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Mystic Sanctuary (ELD) 247
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Tome of Legends (ELD) 332
1 Ashiok's Erasure (THB) 43
1 Nadir Kraken (THB) 55
1 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
1 Stern Dismissal (THB) 68
1 Thassa's Intervention (THB) 72
1 Whirlwind Denial (THB) 81
1 Labyrinth of Skophos (THB) 243
1 Essence Scatter (IKO) 49
1 Neutralize (IKO) 59
1 Voracious Greatshark (IKO) 70
1 Bonders' Enclave (IKO) 245
21 Island (KLR) 290

A Baral deck that doesn't yet know it's a Baral deck

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Today was my first time playing historic brawl and after all the praise everyone is always giving it, it's not great. I built a Yorion blink deck because that sounded like fun and got destroyed 6 games in a row by either aggro decks and artifact-based combo decks. So I just built a Teferi control deck and now everyone is just conceding. I had a Muldrotha player just concede after I essence scattered his commander. So I guess I have to try to ride the line between the two styles of decks.

At least it's unranked.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Bugsy posted:

:laffo: dont be like my current opponent and put command tower in you ugin deck.

I played against an Emri who played a Grafdigger's Cage and then was very confused why they couldn't cast any artifacts out of their graveyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Man ranking up through diamond is brutal. Almost everyone is playing mono red right now, even in best of 3.