Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I picked this up over the weekend after literally not playing a game in 20 years. I'm loving it so far playing with a BW lifelink deck.

One question though: how do I play BO3 in Ranked?

Also, good god, how do people play the paper version with all the tokens and counters? It sounds like it would be a nightmare to keep track of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

The Klowner posted:

Toggle the switch at the top of the main screen that says "All Play Modes" and the bo3 formats will appear in the play list. Arena doesn't show them by default.

That solved it, thanks!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Two questions from total ignorance:

Why is everyone unhappy with M21?

I hosed up and made a deck with a lot of cards that are going to be unplayable after Thursday, thinking the rotation wouldn’t happen for a few weeks still. If I want to set myself up well to play a variety of decks going forward, would it be a good idea to open packs of Eldraine, Theros, and Ikoria in equal measure? Or are some of those expansions better or worse than others?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Has there been any discussion of fixing all the bugs from running this on a Mac? I'm running it on MacOS High Sierra on a 2015 MacBook Air and every time I load I get a "An asset error occurred during your last play session. Validating asset files to ensure stability, this may take a while" message that takes about two minutes to clear, and every so often it crashes randomly after getting getting to the actual home page. Apparently this has been a known problem with Macs for months but nothing has been done about it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Just started improving my BW lifelink deck to the point that I'm winning more than losing and had this game yesterday:

lol

I'd normally concede because this was kind of tedious but I thought I'd play this one out and it was worth it in the end. It was a Mexican standoff for ~30 mins until I dropped Vito and started whittling down his life every turn until he made one last-ditch attack and conceded (right after this screenshot). My Bloodthirsty Aerialist was I think a 44/45 by the end.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
I just played a game against a deck based around gold legendary angels. I am still confused by it, because on multiple occasions my opponent played one and attacked me on the same turn, despite none of them, from what I could tell, having haste or any permanent on the board giving them haste. Has anyone played against this archetype and knows how that worked?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Did they have Akroma's Memorial in play?

No, and I scanned the battlefield a few times throughout the game and right at the end.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

It's the best sweeper in the format

I have to say I love it and I’m surprised it isn’t used more.

I’ve been trying to throw together a cycling deck and for the last week I’ve only needed about 10 more commons. In that time I’ve gotten 5 Ikoria packs, which yielded two triomes and has gotten me three of those commons.

Lol

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
So at what point did you feel like you were winning in drafts more than you were losing? I’ve played seven quick drafts now, 3x M21, 4x Eldraine, and apart from my first time when I ironically went 5-2, I’ve gone 3-3 or 2-3 every time.

I’ve read a bunch of guides, know the main archetypes, and agonize over draft picks, but when I get to games I always feel like I’m at a disadvantage for some reason, and it’s not like I can’t play - after starting a month ago I got to tier 1 diamond in constructed before the end of the season. It’s getting to the point where the last few times I’ve left feeling annoyed at best, infuriated at worst...

Any tips for getting to a point where you can comfortably reach a >50% win ratio?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

show us the decks, show us the drafts

What does everyone use to review and post their drafts? MTG Arena Pro Tracker?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Can someone please explain to me what happened in this scenario.

My opponent has four creatures on the board, including the Solemn Simulacrum and mutated Migratory Greathorn you can see above. I drop an Ugin and destroy all permanents with CMC <5. It destroys the other two creatures but not the Simulacrum, since it's colorless, which I understand; what I don't understand is why the Migratory Greathorn survived. Is the CMC of a mutated creature not that of the creature on top? If so, why was it not destroyed?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Did the Greathorn survive, or did a Stonecoil Serpent or Simulacrum that then got Mutated on top of? E: or maybe he flashed somethign in after the Ugin went off, then mutated the greathorn onto it?

You're correct that if the greathorn was on the board and on the top of the mutation stack, Ugin should have wiped it under the circumstances described. So, presumably, one of those things wasn't true.

The Greathorn was at the top of the mutation stack when I dropped Ugin and it survived the wipe, and I didn't see him play anything in between. It was really annoying because it cost me the game in the end.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Had you phased it out with Jace the turn before? If so, the Greathorn wouldn't be "in play" when Ugin went off. That's the only thing I can think of.

quote:

Teferi, but yeah, that's a good shout for a possibility.

That might be it, actually. I did at some point phase out a Greathorn with Teferi, though I thought it was earlier in the game. I'm probably just misremembering and it was phased out when Ugin went off.

quote:

Also when the game ends there's a Show Battlefield button in the top right that you can click that gets rid of the DEFEAT logo. Makes it easier to see the board.

Good to know. Thanks!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
For someone new to the game, is there a guide anywhere that explains the names, origins, and basic archetypes of the different deck types? What does it mean exactly for a deck to be designated Sultai, Temur, or Sakdos, for instance? I don't mean just links to current versions of those decks, but like an etiology and brief explanation of the mechanics of each deck type.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Can someone explain to me why when you mutate a creature onto Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig the resulting creature is so huge? Like I just played a game where someone mutated a Gemrazer onto a 4/4 Yorvo and it ended up an 8/8.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Gotcha, thanks!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
OK I was wondering if that's normal or not. All the rares and mythics I got were pretty crap :/

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

resistentialism posted:

It's all kind of relative, but paper magic is somewhere on the spectrum of stupidly expensive pastimes, so it doesn't exactly make a great comparison point. On the other hand, it's nothing compared to stuff like owning a boat or full blown alcoholism, etc.

You should never try to fully rationalize paying for digital micro-transactions, and for sure don't try to make those rationalizations for other people.

It's funny, back towards the end of when I played paper MTG in the early 2000s, I remember MTGO debuting and wanting to try it but recoiling at the thought of spending money on digital cards. I distinctly remember thinking, but what if they get wiped from some server?

Now I'm actually thankful to be able to spend money on digital cards and not have to store and/or lug around boxes full of mostly cardboard chaff, especially given how much cheaper Arena is than paper MTG.

Edit: Ugh how long is this maintenance going to take... I specifically blocked off a couple of hours after work to be able to play sealed and maybe draft a little and now I'm stuck doing real world things instead > : (

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 17, 2020

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Is anyone else unable to see or craft ZR cards in their collection? I'm trying to update a couple of decks and I can't find the new cards I got or craft anything.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
The client is tweaking but I got one game in with my Sultai ramp deck with 4x Lotus Cobra, 2x new Nissa, and 2x Turntimber Symbiosis. Holy poo poo does Lotus Cobra speed up the already quick mana acceleration of ramp decks. I actually found myself on several turns with too much unspent mana... Green stompy decks are going to be pretty powerful with this set I think.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Having not played paper MTG for about two decades, I'm constantly amazed playing on Arena at how many aspects of the game must just be straight up awkward to make work in real life. Emblems, tokens, counters, these MDFCs... like there were certain barriers the designers were really hesitant to break because it made the game too unwieldy and they've not only gone broken through but blasted past a lot of them in the last decade or so.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Just encountered an incredibly annoying glitch that cost me a game: you can't cast Turntimber Symbiosis using the 6G mana Castle Garenbrig's ability produces. Tried it twice on two different turns (both times had one extra untapped forest in addition to the 6G) and it just wouldn't do it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Ah poo poo. Well everything's a learning experience.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Oh my god Omnath decks are loving insufferable to play against. I mean, Uro was annoying and ramp decks were competitive, but this is ridiculous. Just played a guy who dropped Omnath T4 and T5 an Ugin.

Are there any decent strategies to combat this deck yet?!?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Guess its red aggro for the next few months, then.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Chamale posted:

I'm 11-0 against Omnath with my Rogues deck. Just gotta play an early threat then destroy whatever they try to do.

4 Merfolk Windrobber
4 Thieves' Guild Enforcer
2 Cling to Dust
4 Soaring Thought-Thief
4 Drown in the Loch
4 Brazen Borrower
2 Blackbloom Rogue/Blackbloom Bog
3 Glasspool Mimic/Glasspool Shore
4 Nighthawk Scavenger
2 Rankle, Master of Pranks
3 Zareth San, the Trickster
4 Clearwater Pathway
10 Island
9 Swamp
1 Agadeem's Awakening

Thanks, I should be able to get this going pretty soon.

quote:

Gruul works pretty well right now too. I haven't tried the Adventures list because I don't have the WCs to craft Robbers, but Landfall has a number of draws/lines that can goldfish them by turn 4 even without EC

Got a good list?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
What are some good cards in Standard that can cram into my sideboard to combat mono blue mill decks? I've been facing them pretty consistently and Ruin Crabs and Merfolk Secretkeepers are pretty pesky in combination with Teferi's Tutelage. Is there anything that shuffles a bunch of cards from your GY back into your deck?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
When I'm blocking with a creature that you can sac to activate an ability, like Merfolk Windrobber, after assigning it to block I've noticed that sometimes I can sac it, and sometimes it doesn't let me, so that the attacking creature simply kills it. Why is that?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Riiiight, thanks!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Okay another question. Why can't I cast an instant between a player dropping Lotus Cobra and them subsequently dropping a land? Why can't I blast it before they get the extra mana?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
I'm definitely getting tired of Standard, and I'd like to check out Historic, but I only really have a good collection from the sets currently in Standard. What's a fun and competitive deck to start building towards with some WCs? I know it'll take me a while to complete, so if you could recommend just one deck, which would you?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Victor Surge posted:

Swarm shambler x 4
Nessian Hornbeetle x 2
Scavenging Ooze x 2
Garruks Harbringer x 2
Kazandu Mammoth x 4
Lovestruck Beast x 4
Yorvo x 3
Garruk Unleashed x 1
Gemrazer x 4
Vivien, Monster Buddy x 1
Turntimber Advocate x 4
Great Henge x 2
Stonecoil x 4
Primal Might x4
Castle Garenbrig x 2
Forest x 17

Yeah, monogreen’s a tad rare heavy

I run a very similar monogreen deck that I've been tweaking for a while and have had some success with. You really need 4x Ram Through as well as 4x Primal Might to make monogreen work in this meta. I also don't think Swarm Shambler or Turntimber Ascetic are particularly good, and this deck really needs Elder Gargaroths.

Also, a fun flourish that has actually improved this deck's performance quite a bit agains Dimir Rogues is throwing in a couple of Cliffhaven Kitesails.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Victor Surge posted:

Sideboard has some of that:
4 Ram Through
1 Scavanging Ooze
4 Arancir Spiders
2 Garruk Harbringers
2 Elder Gargaroth
1 Wilt
1 of something else I can’t recall

The Ram Throughs and Elder Gargaroths really should be maindecks, though. With the average size of your creatures, Ram Throughs, being instants and causing trample damage to carry through, are generally superior to Primal Might, and Elder Gargaroth in particular is an absolute beast of a 5-draw. Also, no Questing Beast?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Herr Tog posted:

I heard rogues mill works now or is there a chance a part of that will be banned. I'm terrible at keeping up.

Actual mill, as in winning by having your opponent unable to draw any more, doesn't really work in this meta. Rogue mill works in the sense that it mills a decent enough chunk of your opponent's deck that it activates all your rogues' abilities.

I tried out a mono blue mill deck and it rarely works, mainly because it's really hard to include enough control to prevent rogues, red aggro, and green stompy decks from smashing you before you really get milling.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
I'm seeing an incredible variety of deck types grinding through mid-Diamond at the moment and it's really refreshing. I even saw a couple of honest-to-god constructed party decks in the wild yesterday!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Just encountered an annoying bug.

My opponent had an Ugin with 1 loyalty point and a Karn with 3 loyalty points. I cast Shatterskull Smash with X=4, designating both as targets. Because the image of the card was blocking the Ugin, however, it wouldn't let me adjust the damage from 2 on each to 3 on the Karn and 1 on the Ugin. As a result, I just had to go with the 2 and 2 damage and the Karn survived.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Time posted:

Click that arrow above the card and your problem gets solved

It let me do that for the top value, raising it to 3 as you can see in the screenshot, but kept the bottom one at 2 - I couldn’t see/click the bottom arrow on the Ugin to lower it from 2 to 1 - and thus wouldn’t let me go through with casting the spell.

The problem was that I couldn’t adjust the damage on the target card under the Shatterskull Smashing to get the overall amount from 5 to 4.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Hooplah posted:

play queue has seemed weirdly streaky to me lately. like sometimes the competition is extremely soft and i'll steamroll through five games, then other times it's like i lose over and over again and there's nothing i can do about it, it's soul crushing. i just lost like 6 or 7 games in a row trying to get a couple daily wins and i feel like poo poo now

does time of day matter?

I’ve noticed this too, and I swear time of day does matter. I generally play early in the morning and mid or late afternoon UK time, and I almost always do way better in the morning than the afternoon. I chalk it up to morning Uk time being in the middle of the night for most of NA, so there are fewer competitive players online.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
quick, whats the best historic all access deck to craft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

fadam posted:

IMO because Historic is an online format, WotC should be way more aggressive with banning/suspending stuff. Suspend Uro, Mux and Cat next month just to see what happens.

As someone who plays a Uro pile regularly, I heartily support this motion.