Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

My last Quic k Draft loving sucked. Only game I won involved getting 2x Act of Treason in my opening hand and was able to use that to put some heavy damage on my opponent. Other than that I got loving smoked.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

resistentialism posted:

The best worst part of this game is counting all your lands for an X spell without mousing over your lands so your opponent doesn't get to know that you're counting all your lands.

I wish there was a "Tap leftovers for X" feature

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I'm guessing food will be multi purpose. Like the default is "Sac for life" but like the Goose can convert food into Mana, I bet other cards can do more.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Can you cast the creature first and then adventure at instant speed to protect it from board wipe?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Waffleopolis posted:

Sadly no. It's either creature or adventure-then-creature

Ok. That's what I thought but just wanted to verify

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

As a relatively new player, what are the stories of Theros and Zendikar?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Am I the only one that think brawl loving sucks? I'm probably just bad at it but no matter what deck I play I just get loving wrecked.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I'm maybe a little quick to concede sometimes but if the game is clearly going against me (Mana drought, creature drought) I just dip out. Free win for other person, new game for me

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

So existing players wont' have access to the ToE NPE Decks?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

flatluigi posted:

existing players are getting them on patch day

Oh gently caress yeah! Thats cool.

EDIT: Whats the best Arena overlay? I would like one that shows my deck, but also has state tracking. I used untapped.gg but it doesn't seem to have state tracking (at least that I can see)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

flatluigi posted:

I don't know what you mean by state tracking but untapped.gg is the best by far

Excuse the typo...I meant STAT tracking (win rate with a particular deck)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kashuno posted:

Adventures are great and food is bad, that's my opinion of the set so far

Food is ok. It was really fun in that town deck when I was able to pump my fae King up to absurd levels by saccing food to it

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Man this just isn't my loving night. The last few nights I've felt like I can't lose, tonight I can't loving win!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I just can't win 2 in a row to save my life today. This event is cool and I'm glad they are doing it, but getting steam rolled in your second game by either Mono White Life gain or Red Deck Wins is so loving demoralizing after awhile.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Zyla posted:

im glad i dont have to do that event at all it sounds horrific

It's not bad, but in order to get the 200 bonus XP you have to win 2 matches in a row. If you just win one, well then you don't get poo poo.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lol I'm doing this Momir's Madness event. I got a card that says "Look at your library until you get a nontarget creature, exile any other cards" so yeah since my library is full of loving lands guess who lost even though my opponent only had 1 loving life left!!! I'm loving salty right now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lol my opponent got Blazing Archon so I can't attack him period.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy crap Finale of Eternity is the most GO OFF KINGS card in the Yarok deck and I highly recommend jamming it in

(There were 100+ triggers on the stack on the first swamp flip, this is the second one when I realized I should take a snapshot)

How does that work with Yarok?

EDIT:. Oh poo poo that is amazing. I figured it out

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 17, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Sinteres posted:

They changed the catch up event:

Up to 3 wins. 2 losses allowed.
50xp
150xp
250xp

Thank Jesus

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

When do the weekly quests reset?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I had a very funny game where I was at 1 health. My opponent was playing Orzhov (Ajanis and that flying vampire that buffs with life gain). He started using 3 Lifemenders to pump his creatures up higher and higher, but didn't attack. I was playing 4 color Elemental and just could not get anything going. Finally I was able to get a Risen Reef, Omnath and Scampering Scorcher out. I then used Neoform on the Spitfire to get out Yarok. Then thats when things really started to get out of hand. I got another Scorcher out which means I had 4 elementals instead of 2. That made Risen Reef proc like 8000 times. I got almost all my lands out, had something like 14 zombies from Field of the Dead (all while still at 1 health). I was then able to use that elemental that heals you for 3, I cast that 3 times and got up to 19 health, then cast a new Omnath and used his EOB effect twice to deal something like 18 points of damage directly to my opponent. Then I cast overrun and swung wide and killed him. I was so happy with that win because my opponent could've won whenever he wanted (his Ajanis was like 12/12, and the flyer was pretty close to 12/13).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I'm bad at Magic, why is Oko so good? I could see alternating between the +2 to create a food and then +1 to turn it into a 3/3 creature, but that takes 2 turns

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I'm in loving love with Dance of Doom. I wish I had the wildcards to craft it because holy poo poo.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

So I've run into that Cat in the Oven deck and goddamn is that thing annoying to play against. The engine gets going so fast and once it does you just seem turbo hosed especially once Oko comes out.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I'm going to be bummed if Field of the Dead is banned because I run 1 in my Yarok Elemental deck, and while not the wincon it has helped a few times to seal the deal.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

It stinks that the "face" of the expansion Oko got banned but gently caress YEAH gently caress OKO NOW AND FOREVER

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Cool I'm excited to dust off my Temur Elemental deck again!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I have a couple of Brawl questions:

1) Is Brawl still free to play right now or do you have to pay for it still? (I thought I heard something about it being free right now)
2) What is a good "entry level" Brawl deck? I'm torn between Yarok, Torbran and Nikya.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

Nikya would probably be frustrating unless you have all the janky rare removal/fight creatures already crafted.

I was looking at some Nikya decks and yeah, I don't think I have the wild cards for it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

VictualSquid posted:

Torbran is almost to strong. I think it leads to boring games.
Yarok is probably the strongest of the fun to play commanders.

My favourite brawl decks are Judith and Teyesa. They are both in the starter decks (I think) and make for fun combos.

Alright I've decided to go with Yarok! I play Mono Red (as well as Temur / Glint Eye Elementals) so I think I want to try to play something that I like a little more (Glint Eye Elemental where I abuse the gently caress out of Yarok, Omnath and Risen Reef)

EDIT:

Can someone explain Uro to me? The way I read it is, if you cast it from your hand, it pretty much goes right to the graveyard, then next turn (or maybe even the same turn) you can exile 5 cards from your graveyard and pay BBGG to bring it back into play. At that point it acts like a normal creature right? SO like optimally you want to get Uro into the GY first before you even cast it correct?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 1, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bugsy posted:

Casting him normally is great value and worth doing when you don't have to put something onto the board. Thats the best way to get him into the yard unless you are running some sort of self mill Lazav shenanigans, but still 1ug draw a card gain 3 life and put a land into play is very good.

Especially with Yarok holy loving poo poo. I milled myself to death between Risen Reef, Uro, and Guardian Project drawing me a fuckload of cards. I got Loaming Shaman and was like "Oh gently caress here we go!" but then I got Ashioked and only had 4 cards in my library left

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Brawl is really fun

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I watch Game Knights a lot, and I don't remember who said it, but one of the hosts said "Never concede, because in Commander things can change on a dime."

I made the Torb Red Aggro Brawl deck and I was playing against Arelia. I could not get mana to save my life, but I was able to put a beating on my opponent early, he had 7 life and I still had 25. He used a board wipe, dropped some enchantment that created a bunch of 4/4 Angels, played his commander and a couple other flyers (not all on the same turn, on consecutive turns). They couldn't attack me because I could swing for lethal, but he could just block so I couldn't really do anything either. I figured it was only a matter of time before they were able to take over and win. I was just about to concede when I was like "You know what gently caress it lets see how this plays out!" My next card was the Chandra that lets you do 3 to any non-elemental creature. But I only had 5 mana. I got a mountain, played my Commander and just hoped that he wouldn't get killed (which didn't happen). I played Chandra, wiped the board (except for Torb), next turn I was able to swing for lethal. That is my Brawl story. I'm sorry I can't remember all the card names!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 5, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

I have a dumb question:

If you have 3 cards that have a "sacrifice a creature". In this case one card gives you +1/+1 counter, one card gives you card draw, and one cards gives you +3 life. If you sacrifice a creature so you pick which effect is triggered or do all 3 trigger?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Thank you! That's what I assumed (that you had to sacrifice to a specific creature) but just wanted to double check! Thank you for the answer!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ravnica is far and away my favorite plane and it's not even close.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

Have a link?

https://mtga.untapped.gg/

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

It's really unfortunate that Brawl is standard only (I didn't realize that until I started thinking about Historic Brawl). That seems odd considering the appeal to me of Commander is the thousands of cards you can choose from.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Even though I'm really excited about Ikoria, I'm sad to see the first of the Ravnica sets cycle out. I always get antsy around rotation, but I know that it's good to keep the game fresh. I'm just sad that my janky Golgari reanimator deck won't be legal anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

Nothing rotates until September, you’ll have all of Guilds of Ravnica block legal with everything through Ikoria

Oh...ok! For some reason I thought sets rotated at a 1:1 ratio.