Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

gently caress Oko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I really wish Pioneer was coming to Arena but it'd probably just be a parade of every single deck I've hated playing against, and then I'd look down at my own hand of Big Teferi, Oko, Golos, Nexus of Fate, Hydroid Krasis, Thought Erasure, the Explore package, Goblin Chainwhirler, Tiny Teferi, 8 cards with the word flash on them, Wilderness Reclamation, Thought Erasure again

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

It's free real estate if you want to use Oko, yeah.

Except if Oko getting banned kills that entire deck archetype. I probably dumped 12-15 WC to build Bant last month and will be kind of miffed if the ban kills the deck entirely. Oko should be banned for the good of the format but WotC kind of gets to have its cake and eat it too by killing 30 WC of value and only paying back 4 mythics when I have to go and build something else that's competitive.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Pros being mad about not winning at a game that includes a large amount of chance will never get old for me.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Look dude you can defend it however you like but I guarantee that if your alt-tabbing out of the game in between your turns you’re definitely dragging the game out.

How about super deliberate players who mouse over everything and think about every contingency? That seems to be the intention behind the timeout system but it's also intentionally delaying the game. I hate playing against slow players but it's kind of what I sign up for by playing Arena.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Or maybe just abandon your weird preconceived notions of what unranked means and just snap concede when your play a meta deck you think is too strong for your brew.

There is literally ZERO downside to just auto losing a ranked match you don’t want to play.

Eh, I do think there's something to be said for Arena doing standard events where they ban cards that are dominating the format. I'd almost rather they try out the Oko ban on Arena first before they ban it entirely just to see how the meta shakes out.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Good job everyone. Now ban fires. Just keep banning stuff.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This meta is poo poo even without Oko. Ha ha we did it guys

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Historic is really fun right now because nobody really knows what the meta is. I've played against esper self mill, green stompy, golgari midrange, temur nexus, and izzet phoenix so far.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

You really would think the arms would be the first thing to fall off of a rotting regisaur

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Historic Bo3 counts towards dailies.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This may count as the laziest draft event so far. Did you want your already short draft games to be even shorter???

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

So remove the gem rewards and just keep the pack reward.

In any case I’m in no position to have anyone listen to me where it matters it’s just an idea.

The game really could use phantom draft and some people are weirdly opposed to the idea. There's not much of a point to limited rank as it stands because of the huge investment per month it takes to try and get to mythic, even for above average players.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

why would wizards devote resources towards people that are too cheap to do a regular draft?

Is this like a self-answering question? Then people who are too cheap to do regular draft but like drafting might be enticed to play the cheaper version. I've spent quite a bit on Eldraine but I probably would have spent even more because I like to draft but $4-5 a draft is too much for me to do it all the time.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Friends list is finally live. Some pretty cool lightning bolt sleeves for 8k gold.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Slow playing pieces of poo poo are the absolute worst part of this game. MTGA needs a clock like MTGO that actually punishes this bullshit.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm 5 levels away from maxing out. Takes the pressure off while I'm on holiday.

Still got to max out your gold contributions and ICRs for vault progress

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

It's kind of like a better robber of the rich for gruul aggro but nobody runs that anymore either

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah I wish there was a little more transparency when it comes to just how many people are actually in mythic. Managed to get to #1300 for a bit but I don't know if I'd bother if there are 10k people all fighting for top 1200.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Bo1 Sealed is rolling a lot of dice for a very high entrance fee, gobbling up people's gems is likely why it's always open first.

It's decent value if you're going to play constructed, so I can't hate it too much. Really should be Bo3 and it's definitely not a good value for people who only play limited. MTGO is the only good place to focus on sealed.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Draft is worse than sealed for novice players. Sealed might not be a great idea either, but it is ultimately just 1800 gems for nine packs at worst.

My tip is post your pool on here and take people's feedback to heart when building your deck.

It's not really 9 packs since you're missing out on 1 entire WC of progress, which is the most important thing for actually building decks. I do a lot of sealed but it's not equivalent value.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

resistentialism posted:

any thoughts? feel like it doesn't have enough power without the archon, and I've got some fixing and plenty of enchantments
ok removal

Having to get half of your plains just to cast one spell does not seem like a viable plan.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Dream Trawler should not be a card

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

qbert posted:

Lots of people reporting Fae of Wishes is broken after the new patch. When you cast Granted, it doesn't pull up your sideboard and your only option is "Decline".

Might want to test that out against Sparky or something before playing a deck that uses the card.

Thought erasure is hosed up too. It's still usable but the expanded hand UI doesn't pop up for selection. Hope you don't misclick on their tiny hand.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Somebody zagging to play a bomb they opened in draft seems like a really dumb thing to complain about.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I see what you’re saying, but the point was that in this scenario, in which the greatest players in the world are all drafting to the very best of their ability, there’s a bit of an expectation for clear and established signals to help get everyone the cards they need so that everyone’s deck is good. If you pivot out of 2 of your colors P3P1 after a 2 packs of doing that, you’re really monkey wrenching the table.

I don’t even think he was completely wrong to do it, but instead of everyone having good decks, now one player has a really bad U/W deck and his drafting neighbors found themselves starved for pack 3 playables, and Burchett’s draft deck was probably the weakest one at the table as a result, when it easily could have been one of the strongest had the pivot not occurred.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying and I don't have much experience live drafting. I just find the narrative funny that Autumn should have had this strong deck if only their draft neighbor passed them the strong cards they were signalling for. Everyone's trying to win and I could see why somebody wouldn't stay in their lane even if it might have weakened the table somewhat.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Kaya avatar is 200g today

Not sure I'll ever use it but that's one of the best avatars imo

Yep. I know how people feel about daily deals but if they do heavy discounts on fun things like avs and sleeves I won't complain about that.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Theros ranked draft is back inexplicably so hopefully they are doing away with the 2 weeks on/2 off plan for the current set.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

Speaking of, there's no way I don't take Uro, right? It won't help me win a game (Hero of the Nyxborn or Pharika's Spawn would) but it's totally Uro?

https://www.17lands.com/draft/25c04eca9a504f45ab4d6431d776360e/3/1

The value of having one more useful card in your 23 card draft deck is never going to outweigh grabbing a standard viable mythic or rare if you have any interest in playing constructed.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

People online mostly just want to play whatever has the highest win percentage. There's no social aspect on Arena so fun jank doesn't have the same appeal. Doesn't even matter that there are no rewards or ranks on the line.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

StabMasterArson posted:

Got to gold in ranked but kinda sick of playing against the usual suspects, which is the most fun mode for creative / unusual decks?

I see more variety and unusual things in historic but it does also have its own set of meta decks.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

Is there a trend to avoid putting win conditions into standard decks?
I just played two in succession.

One had elemental tribal ramp. With some card copying creatures copying druids and risen reefs. And a neoform used to find a risen reef.

The second one had only counters, teferi and ECD. He loved a counter that also milled me, which seemed to be his win condition. Because he drew around 45 cards before playing that reverse mill and had no creatures and nothing remotely more offensive then that counter.
After countering the same Kroxa more then 6 times I finally got him to stick. And I finally could use one of the 4 "Claim the firstborn" that I had in my hand since the opening of the match.

He's at the bottom of platinum so he's probably trying out jank since he can't lose rank. Can't just be meta decks all day every day. Also Fabled Passages are worth the WCs

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'm debating whether or not to pick up the historic anthologies. I've actually been enjoying historic queue more than standard but I don't know if there's enough value there to justify investing. Think I'm just worried the 1st anthology will stop being offered and I'll regret it when historic becomes a more popular format.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Huxley posted:

I also love Historic and don't think buying the entire sets are really advisable. If you like to mess around with lots of stuff, sure, but you can craft the meta playables without nearly the investment.

Also, Historic disappears Thursday and doesn't come back for 6-8 weeks, so at any rate don't spend $40 on it today.

Where'd you hear this? The state of the game posted today says they're planning on releasing anthology 3 next month.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

You also get one godzilla card style per limited event you play in the first week, so even that isn't much of a value from the booster bundle if you're going to play a decent amount of limited.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Time posted:

at gold and platinum you should

You realize we're playing Magic, right.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Cube was one of the most fun things I've played on MTGA but if they're going to make the reward structure that bad in an event you can crap out of in 10 minutes it really should have been cheaper to enter than 3 packs worth of gold.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This set is awesome. Really enjoying sealed so far.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

If you put in a ticket for connection problems they'll generally refund the whole event cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Pacifism is premium but unfortunately I have yorion