Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Could I get a more practiced eye on what I should do with this (Premier Draft deck)? Is trying to splash for Song of Creation too cute?

I think the right answer is cut the Spinnerets, cut the Gremlin, cut the Goriak, cut one land (16 lands, 2 Adventurous Impulse, 1 Migration Path, 2 Fertilid feels OK to me?), cut one of the big dudes at the top end (probably Serpent). But I'd appreciate a view on it.

I started P1P1 with Mythos of Snapdax, P2 Starrix but white was super closed off and I moved to R/G (Song and Stinger were both pretty late picks in packs I had no other options in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Lone Goat posted:

Mythos of Snapdax isn't good unless you're casting it for full mardu, and even then I'd never commit to that p1p1.

It was a bad pack - no premium removal, nothing of any real note.

Thanks for the other advice. I went with going to 17 lands, cutting Gorion, 1 Impulse, Song, Boar, Spinnarets and Gremlin. It feels pretty good.

Edit: 6-3. Thanks for the help guys.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 14, 2020

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Eej posted:

The Jeskai Lurrus deck is pretty good though

Featherless Feather deck

Does anyone have a list for this?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Just wanted to take a moment to bitch about Ugin in draft. I just saw two in 5 games (best of 1), and got utterly demolished from a strong winning position vs. just about any other card in the set.

I guess that tells me to play best of 3, but honestly, WTF can you really do vs the bolt per turn wrath machine?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Would anyone mind having a quick look at my draft?

Is mono-red viable, or should I splash into Rakdos?

Mono-Red build: https://www.17lands.com/deck/c55c368dfb4c4f58bdb851cb92015533/0
Rakdos build: https://www.17lands.com/deck/c55c368dfb4c4f58bdb851cb92015533/1

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/c55c368dfb4c4f58bdb851cb92015533

P1P1 - took the land as the next best cards were Battlements, Shock (and I took the rare draft for collection reasons).

Edit: Rest of the draft report was lost to a wandering cat on keyboard scenario. But it boiled down to "Weird pick 5 makes UR spells look open; blue isn't open after all; maybe pick black cards 'cause I've already got a few goodies earlier on."

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 5, 2020

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Lone Goat posted:

Good advice

wei posted:

Good Advice

Gridlocked posted:

Good Advice

Thanks guys. I ended up going 3-3; but I can see it would have gone MUCH better if I'd made better picks.

I followed the "draft more two drops" advice in what otherwise felt like a really terrible draft. Went 0-2 in my first two games, but ended up 6-3. A huge part of that was focussing on picking Igneous Curs and Magmutts higher than I'd have ever normally thought necessary (and a lucky pair of pack 2 Mistral Singers). Solid advice all round.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Critique my standard deck, please? I wanted to play with Sprite Dragon, and I wanted to avoid any GY synergies due to the overabundance of Scavenging Ooze in my recent experience (so no Phoenix, Rielle or Dreadhorde Arcanist).

Small number of games so far, but it has been winning a fair few game ones, and crashing out G2/G3. The sideboard definitely needs some work.

Deck: Jeskai Heroic

//Main
2 Fabled Passage
4 Fight as One
4 Gods Willing
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Infuriate
2 Island
2 Mountain
4 Opt
2 Plains
2 Raugrin Triome
4 Riddleform
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Shock
4 Sprite Dragon
2 Staggering Insight
4 Steam Vents
4 Stormwing Entity
4 Tenth District Legionnaire

//Sideboard
3 Aether Gust
2 Flame Sweep
3 Glass Casket
3 Mystical Dispute
2 Narset, Parter of Veils
2 Soul Sear

Display deck statistics

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

wolfman101 posted:

Why on earth am I the only person playing Unleash Fury??? It is so drat good. If I had time I could get an Unleash Fury deck to mythic. Turn 4 wins in standard are possible and turn 3 wins in Historic. Everyone is sleeping on this card.

You want to post your lists? I like winning games in an obnoxious way.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Just been playing the only rotation proof deck in my roster - UW Mutate. It seems to be OK vs the new meta (only played a few games, so pinch of salt). The only new tech I'm running is four (well, three, I'm short an uncommon wild) Sejiri Shelter, but I might try and run a couple Glasspool Mimic for a little win-more nonsense and 1-2 angel bolt lands once I get some mythic wilds again.

Shame there's no Azorius flip land yet though - all the tapped mana makes me sad.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Can I get a draft critique, and am I building this right? This format is new and scary. (P3P3 was a rare-draft 'cause I'm building towards UR Prowess - I know I should have taken Dauntless Survivor).

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/f8e832cfb2324f978aafe75cccc1e4ac
Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/f8e832cfb2324f978aafe75cccc1e4ac

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Am I building this right? I think from the rares I opened and the fair amount of removal, I should be in RB; however, I'm open to criticism.

Also, am I right in thinking that Sizzling Barrage is really, really bad?

Pool: https://www.17lands.com/pool/0b2580aee1434ea2aaa0f2ef2feda0d6
Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/0b2580aee1434ea2aaa0f2ef2feda0d6

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Lone Goat posted:

oh yeah Sizzling Barrage is real bad

anyway your deck's red cards were extremely mediocre and your green was real strong so here's part of deck construction but i got bored partway through, prob need to shave 1-2 cards and play 19 "lands" including MDFC& barrens. constrictor might be good here too i dunno. i guess you could splash Journey or Sync' Spellcraft off Roiling Regrowth/Reclaim the Wastes but not sure if it's worth the effort since you already have a colourless land.

also i strongly recommend https://sealeddeck.tech/ for importing/outporting sealed decks because it lets you move cards around way easier than Arena's interface and sharing (17lands provides a txt file tucked away at the bottom left of your pool).

Thanks for taking the time for this - much appreciated. Green did look good, I guess I just saw two rares and went default red.

And sealeddeck.tech looks super useful - thanks :cheers:

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Toozler posted:

The cycling deck is competitive (right now - if it gets popular it is susceptible to sideboard hate) and is super cheap to put together - you really only need 1 rare (Lurrus).

Thank you for reminding me this exists - I played it a lot before M21 and it's fun to just blast out games with basically just a limited pile. MDFCs (especially Spikefield Hazard for Lotus Cobras) add quite a bit of additional play to this deck as it's very suceptible to flooding.

There was an Irencrag Pyromancer version kicking around at one point - does anyone know if it's any good, or if it was just a suboptimal choice that stops Lurrus being your Companion? Cutting Lurrus (or moving it to the main) does give us the option of adding in Imposing Vantasaur as a 1 mana cycler instead of Memory Leak, but I'm not sure it's good enough.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Started running monogreen again because Scavenging Ooze hates rogues and Kroxa, but had rotten luck against most mill-based strategies tonight. Still advancing through Diamond though so maybe we can get there.

Do you have a list that you like for mono green at the moment? I'm currently running the "pile of green cards I own" deck, which is fine but could definitely be tuned better.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Currently loving BG Adventures right now - it feels like it has game against everything. Red isn't too bad (10 bits of maindeck removal + Lovestruck Beast will do that; and artifact removal out of the board for Embercleave); Rogues/Mill hates to see Polukranos (and Skyclave Shade out of the board); Control doesn't deal well with the card advantage The Great Henge and Edgewall Inkeeper can provide. Scute Swarm can be a challenge, but Extinction Event is pretty solid in that matchup.

I'm only part-way through building the full version (gainlands instead of temples, Questing Beasts instead of Rankles); but it's pretty solid. Heartily recommend.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Bust Rodd posted:

Here is my CrabSong deck that I built when Zendikar came out. The deck revolves around the interaction between Adventure creatures and Song of Creation, using the draw triggers and extra land drops to mill out your opponent. Use your Stomp//Petty theft interaction to just stop yourself from dying while you put your pieces in play, and your opponent's deck just disappears

Deck
4 Ruin Crab (ZNR) 75
3 Island (UST) 213
4 Merfolk Secretkeeper (ELD) 53
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Mountain (UST) 215
3 Beanstalk Giant (ELD) 149
4 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
4 Song of Creation (IKO) 210
4 Lotus Cobra (ZNR) 193
4 Teferi's Tutelage (M21) 78
4 Cragcrown Pathway (ZNR) 261
4 Riverglide Pathway (ZNR) 264
4 Ketria Triome (IKO) 250
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Forest (UST) 216
1 Sea Gate Restoration (ZNR) 76

Built this - deck is hilarious. Anyone on the fence with this deck, build it. Also, if I was to work on getting it functional for best of 3, what sideboard cards might people suggest?

Edit: played the Dimir mill deck - that's the best (funniest/stupidest) bit of MTG I've played in ages. Also, Merfolk Secretkeeper with Tutelage and Song - UU, mill 12, draw 4, make a 0/4. MVP.

Edit 2: I've got so much to do today, and this deck has so much "one more game" in it that I've wasted two hours by accident. Great list, thanks Bust Rodd

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 21, 2020

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Bust Rodd posted:

So happy people enjoy my janky Crab deck! The furthest I got in building my sideboard was "uhhhh 4 Midnight Clock for the Mill-Mirror" but that's probably extremely stupid. Probably 2-3 Lullmage's Domination, maybe some Anticognition's for Aggro? Obviously some number of Disputes... LoveStruck Beast would be just fine to bring in for Aggro//RDW

3 Mystical Dispute
2 Anticognition
2 Lullmage Domination
3 Lovestruck Beast...

????

The meta has so many cards in blue that reward having milled out your opponent, but I wanna make sure I'm appropriately leveraging all 3 of my colors.

Currently, I'm testing the following sideboard:
4 Tormod's Crypt (this is great once Song is out, surprisingly enough).
4 Mystical Dispute (should probably be a 2/2 split with Negate - not decided yet)
4 Lovestruck Beast (for aggro matchups)
2 Bala Ged Recovery (for control and mill - I'm just bringing it in over 2 Forests when I want it)
1 Shatterskull Smashing (for aggro - again, I'm just bringing it in over a basic, or over the blue MDFC).

MDFCs in the side seem to be relatively good in this sort of combo deck, as you can sideboard without really affecting your mainboard.

Also, I'm testing replacing the Beanstalk Giants with Opts - filtering early, cheap spell/extra draw with Song/Tutelage out. So far, it's working well - I've never seen an Opt and wished it was a Giant yet; whereas previously I've lost games to having a Giant in hand instead of a cheaper spell.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
After building Crabsong , I noticed that I basically already had all the maindeck rares and mythics for the Obosh adventures deck. If you want to improve your win rate, it's definitely stronger.

But, more importantly, it's a very similar deck; with a weirdly similar plan (Song of Creation/Teferi's Tutelage is the win, just as Genesis Ultimatum/Terror of the Peaks is - but with easier mana). From playing Obosh, I think Crabsong wants the ramp - extra land drops don't hurt, but getting both spells down on T5 on the same turn is devastating (your average reactive blue deck will be trying to do something clever around t4/t5 and you can catch them with their shields down if you're a bit lucky). I'll be doing more testing, and will hopefully get results.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Captain Invictus posted:

Do you have a decklist handy?

Temur Obosh Adventures
Companion
1 Obosh, the Preypiercer (IKO) 228

Deck
4 Beanstalk Giant (ELD) 149
4 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
3 Cultivate (M21) 177
2 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Forest (ANB) 112
4 Genesis Ultimatum (IKO) 189
2 Island (ANB) 113
4 Kazandu Mammoth (ZNR) 189
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
2 Mountain (ANB) 114
3 Terror of the Peaks (M21) 164
3 The Great Henge (ELD) 161

Sideboard
2 Chainweb Aracnir (THB) 167
1 Klothys, God of Destiny (THB) 220
4 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
1 Obosh, the Preypiercer (IKO) 228
2 Ox of Agonas (THB) 147
2 Purphoros's Intervention (THB) 151
2 Thrashing Brontodon (M21) 209
1 Vivien, Monsters' Advocate (IKO) 175

Current Crabsong List - I'm trying to force in 2 Great Henge somewhere (as this is now a Lovestruck/Mammoth deck; so turn 4 Henge is a strong possibilty), but they're currently in the sideboard. Transformative sideboard (add in Henge, Cultivate, Terror of the Peaks and Genesis Ultimatum; remove Crab, Song and Tutelage to screw with enchantment removal and graveyard shenanigans) is also a possibility.

Deck
4 Ruin Crab (ZNR) 75
3 Island (ANB) 113
1 Mountain (ANB) 114
3 Beanstalk Giant (ELD) 149
2 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
4 Lotus Cobra (ZNR) 193
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
2 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
3 Forest (ANB) 112
4 Kazandu Mammoth (ZNR) 189

Sideboard
2 Embereth Shieldbreaker (ELD) 122
2 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
3 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
2 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
3 Redcap Melee (ELD) 135
3 Tormod's Crypt (M21) 241

Potential Transformative Sideboard
2 Cultivate
1 Beanstalk Giant
4 Terror of the Peaks
4 Genesis Ultimatum
2 The Great Henge
2 Mystical Dispute

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Is there some way to build Rielle, the Crabwise? T3 Rielle the Everwise, T4 Song of Creation, draw 5 EoT seems kind of amazing.

Add in Ominous Seas/Teferi's Tutelage as the win conditions, Lotus Cobra, Adventure dudes and Edgewall Inkeeper for value, Ruin Crab for extra milling, lands to taste? Ruin Crab might even come out, but the deck name is too good to do that I think.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Just wanted to post about everyone's favourite meme deck - my current version runs 2x Rielle and 4x Stonecoil Serpent as additional nonsense. Rielle has yet to survive a turn with Song out, but threatens to be hilarious. Jegantha was because I knocked the list together and realised I could run it for free. It's won games I shouldn't have otherwise, and so it stays. Stonecoil is either a free draw 2, or a decent blocker, or a threat if the game gets a bit long and drawn out. I'm enjoying them over the additional Merchants or the Brazen Borrowers they replaced.

Still a bad pile, still fun to play.

The Song of Rielle, the Crabwise.

Companion
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring (IKO) 222

Deck
2 Rielle, the Everwise (IKO) 203
4 Ruin Crab (ZNR) 75
4 Lotus Cobra (ZNR) 193

4 Merfolk Secretkeeper (ELD) 53
1 Merchant of the Vale (ELD) 131

4 Stonecoil Serpent (ELD) 235
2 Tormod's Crypt (M21) 241

2 Forest (KLR) 300
2 Island (KLR) 290
2 Mountain (XLN) 272
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Temple of Mystery (M21) 254

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Some clever soul added Rielle, the Everwise to the Cycling deck. It's surprisingly good. (Also, it showed me that I own a total of 1 Brightclimb Pathway, even though I drafted Ikoria to death). Replace the Plains with additional Brightclimbs if you have them.

Deck
4 Drannith Stinger
4 Flourishing Fox
3 Rielle, the Everwise
4 Valiant Rescuer
4 Boon of the Wish-Giver

4 Go for Blood
4 Memory Leak
3 Frostveil Ambush
4 Startling Development
4 Zenith Flare

4 Footfall Crater
1 Brightclimb Pathway
4 Clearwater Pathway
4 Needleverge Pathway
3 Plains
2 Raugrin Triome
4 Riverglide Pathway

Sideboard
2 Easy Prey
3 Improbable Alliance
3 Negate
3 Shredded Sails
4 Yidaro, Wandering Monster

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Simone Poodoin posted:

Went 11-0 yesterday with the green snow deck, nice!

Have you got a list? Green stompy is my jam.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Does this Izzet Goldspan deck match up well against anything? This is my biggest deck-crafting regret to date.

I find it's very good vs. Yorion decks (side into a very counter-heavy build and they generally can't win), OK vs Rogues (>50% but not much), kinda bad vs. Kroxa decks (packing GY hate helps).

Not played much against aggro, but 7 3-damage removal spells and 4 Bonecrusher Giants isn't a bad place to start.

It's my deck of choice so far this season as I find it really fun to pilot. But if you're a best of 1 player, it's not a good deck - some matchups improve so much post board it's like playing two-three different decks vs their one.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

jerkstores posted:

I was saying this exact thing to myself yesterday. It’s such an oppressive deck in BO1. I’ve been drowned one too many times.

What’s the best matchup against it in standard right now? Mono white or red aggro? I’m not normally an aggro player but I really hate rogues.

If you want to clown on Rogues - Tormod's Crypt (targeting yourself). Or some escape goodies - Phoenix of Ash/ Ox of Agonas for choice.

They also fold super hard to Cycling in Bo1 if that's more your speed.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

VictualSquid posted:

Ken Yukuhiro's Izzet "Tempo" list from the current MPL looks really interesting. I have only played a few games yet, but it really is an actually fun variant of cycling.
Ultimating my Teferi against one of those ultimatum decks is pretty funny. And so is killing them during their extra epiphany turn using your pyros.

I built this earlier. Can someone explain how this deck works/actually wins games? I can't squeeze a single game win out of it, and I've been playing the Izzet Dragon Tempo deck and the normal Cycling to decent enough win rates in Plat this last couple of months.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I managed to draft Mizzix Mastery and Uvilda, Dean of Perfection into a deck with 2x Elemental Masterpiece and 2x Rootha, Mercurial Artist. I've managed to double cast Elemental Masterpiece three times, and it feels awesome every time. T3 Mizzix copying Elemental Masterpiece is solid, too.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Copied this deck from MTGA Zone (https://mtgazone.com/deck/boros-winota-by-coutinho-brewer-96-mythic-april-2021-ranked-season/) - Only changes (for wildcard budget reasons) - a few tweaks to the manabase and I cut Mascot Exhibition for Environmental Sciences. Just managed to 5-1 a Trad Standard event with it, so I'm pretty chuffed.

It wasn't too wildcard heavy to build and it's a ton of fun. Winota without the overwhelming unpleasantness of Agent of Treachery. Surprisingly tricky to sideboard - the human/non-human balance (and creature density) for Winota and the option to side out parts of either the Winota/Blade Historian package (vs. grindy matchups) or the Lurrus/Venerable Warsinger package (vs. Graveyard hate) for Showdown of the Skalds leads to some interesting tension.

Also - Lurrus/Selfless Saviour (or Alseid) is a fantastic little interaction. Goodest boy protects angry kitty, gets back goodest boy. Immortal lifelinkers make mono-R sad.

Deck: Boros Winota

//Main
3 Alseid of Life's Bounty
4 Blade Historian
4 Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp
4 Elite Spellbinder
4 Fabled Passage
1 Legion Angel
2 Lurrus of the Dream-Den
4 Mountain
4 Needleverge Pathway // Pillarverge Pathway
8 Plains
4 Professor of Symbology
4 Selfless Savior
2 Shatterskull Smashing // Shatterskull, the Hammer Pass
4 Skyclave Apparition
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Venerable Warsinger
4 Winota, Joiner of Forces

//Sideboard
1 Drannith Magistrate
1 Drannith Magistrate
1 Environmental Sciences
1 Inkling Summoning
2 Legion Angel
1 Reduce to Memory
2 Reidane, God of the Worthy // Valkmira, Protector's Shield
2 Rip Apart
3 Showdown of the Skalds
1 Start from Scratch

Display deck statistics

VVVVVVV

Azathoth posted:

It does have 4 Elite Spellbinders which are rares from Strixhaven, but that's about the definition of a safe craft if you plan to play white decks in any way.

I forgot these (picked them up during early sealed/limited games and the subsequent opening of packs). I also forgot it runs a playset of Blade Historians. Edited accordingly.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 23, 2021

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I just got absolutely demolished by a menace/steal your poo poo list in Standard. Looks hilarious, so I want to build something like it - here's my first sketch of the list. Any additions or suggestions welcome.

Saw:
Valentin, Dean of the Vein
Labyrinth Raptor
Stormfist Crusader
Nullpriest of Oblivion
Claim the Firstborn
Tentative Connection
Village Rites
Woe Strider
Weaponize the Monsters

Sketched out deck:
4 Valentin, Dean of the Vein
4 Labyrinth Raptor
4 Stormfist Crusader
4 Nullpriest of Oblivion
3 Valki
3 Lurrus

4 Claim the Firstborn
4 Tentative Connection
4 Village Rites
4 Woe Strider

2 Blackbloom Rogue
20 Lands

Sideboard
? Weaponize the Monsters

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

PhilippAchtel posted:

You may find this video helpful. PVDDR explains how to play your deck.

https://youtu.be/zGOvfknXZ-E

I'd been avoiding playing rogues (MTG hipster, obviously) until I watched this video and realised Rogues is basically just the Izzet Tempo deck (simlar list here: https://mtgazone.com/deck/izzet-tempo-by-pirindoll-588-mythic-february-2021-ranked-season/) but actually good. And I've been playing the Izzet Flash pile since I crafted it at the very start of Kaldheim, so the flash/counter/kill instant speed stuff and the play patterns aren't super hard to adjust to.

I still prefer the Izzet Tempo pile, but I'm definitely a Rogues convert.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Eej posted:

You should just play Historic Rogues tbh

I am only short 1 Brainstorm and the Watery Graves. I'll give it a whirl next time I have the wildcards; thanks :)

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I found a very daft deck on MTG Melee (from a budget building tournament), added in a few rare lands since I had them available, and went from Plat 1 to Diamond 4 for the first time ever. Deck is bad, don't build it.

Deck
2 Sejiri Shelter
4 Cathartic Reunion
2 Fire Prophecy
4 Thrilling Discovery
23 Dragon's Approach
4 Merchant of the Vale
2 Goldspan Dragon
1 Velomachus Lorehold
18 Lands

Sideboard
2 Disenchant
4 Glass Casket
2 Fire Prophecy
1 Hushbringer
2 Banishing Light
4 Crush the Weak

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I've only done one Quick Draft, so big pinch of salt, but I think the bots are absolutely hoovering up lessons. If I'm right, they absolutely need to be higher up your pick order than in Premier/Trad.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Since this information came in super helpful this evening, I've distilled down the STX Quick Draft data from 17 Lands into a handy little lookup table. This table contains cards with a >50% Win Rate and that are taken by the bots on average no earlier than pick 7 - or the "will it wheel?" table. Obviously, this is public data, but until the bots are updated, feel free to take cards not on this list higher than ones that are. They will (usually) come back round, and you can fill a deck with Humiliates and Study Breaks to your heart's content.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fIpG7p3yB4_BIATCtY_D_VjOgTzqZ5vj0AuBzpFlHD8/edit?usp=sharing

Two drafts (7-1 and 6-3) that used this information (and two solid starting rare picks) to great effect:
7-1 Prismari Aggro (P1P1 Galazeth, variously let Negate/Test of Talents/Arcane Subtraction wheel): https://www.17lands.com/draft/932f4e93bf174552906a3e6667304f19
6-3 Silverquill, splash Plargg (P1P1 Plargg, let basically every Silverquill card on the list wheel): https://www.17lands.com/draft/f6f027a9d924465a881229ae3fe79001

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Ikoria Turbo Draft might just be the best worst idea ever. Who thought 1-mana 5/5s with haste at common were a good idea? Normally, turbo draft is "oops, all draw spells", but in this case, RG "draft all the Lava Serpents and hope to go first" got me seven very easy wins - just big dudes, Fully Grown to survive combat and the odd Ram Through for removal just wrecks people.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Not a huge achievement, but I just got my first Standard Event trophy with this deck. It could use some improvements, especially in the land department (I don't have any of the new man lands, or enough pathways); but its actually fun to play (I think it's my first time completing all my daily wins for a long, long time). Sideboard included, but I was just playing best of one.

Rakdos Sacrifice
Deck
2 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
3 Immersturm Predator (KHM) 214
2 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger (THB) 221
1 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Shambling Ghast (AFR) 119
1 Skyclave Shade (ZNR) 125
4 Woe Strider (THB) 123
4 Claim the Firstborn (STA) 37
3 The Akroan War (THB) 124
2 Deadly Dispute (AFR) 94
3 Village Rites (STA) 35
1 Feed the Swarm (ZNR) 102
1 Heartless Act (IKO) 91
2 Pelakka Predation (ZNR) 120
4 Power Word Kill (AFR) 114
3 Blightstep Pathway (KHM) 252
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Field of Ruin (THB) 242
4 Sulfurous Mire (KHM) 270
3 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 282
4 Fabled Passage (M21) 246
4 Snow-Covered Swamp (KHM) 280
2 Faceless Haven (KHM) 255

Sideboard
2 Baleful Mastery (STX) 64
1 Cleansing Wildfire (ZNR) 137
1 Erebos's Intervention (THB) 94
1 Go Blank (STX) 72
1 Ox of Agonas (THB) 147
1 Pharika's Libation (THB) 111
1 Pharika's Libation (THB) 111
2 Shredded Sails (IKO) 136
3 Skyclave Shade (ZNR) 125
2 Valki, God of Lies (KHM) 114

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

saltylopez posted:

What's the threads consensus on doing the 500g standard event? I guess it's sort of gambling since you need 4 wins to come out even on gold but you also get 3 ICRs. I know drafting is the best use of gold so is this considered a waste or is the risk worthwhile? I've done 3 so far with my goblins deck and gotten 2, 3, and 4 wins.

I'm also not talking about spending all my gold here, just that I did standard rank to platinum and not looking to grind more there and getting some ICRs while doing daily wins seems like a nice bonus vs just doing "Standard Play."

I've been playing a version of this deck https://mtgazone.com/deck/rakdos-sacrifice-by-miguel-cuellar-black-pearl-afr-tournament-8th-place/ (albeit, with much worse mana - I don't have the new manlands and am having to run Faceless Haven instead for now). It's been surprisingly consistent for me (I've had one 0-3, one 4-3, and about five 6-3 or 7-2 events); and is really fun magic. So in this particular instance (or any instance where you have a deck that preys very specifically on aggro/creature decks), I think it's good. But if you're not getting consistent 4-3 (break even) or better results, I'd just stick to the standard Ranked queue and get your tier bonuses at the end of the month instead.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Ben Nevis posted:

On the off chance anyone was deeply curious, I pulled up what I saw from Untapped:

This looks amazing/terrible and I really want to build it (or something approximating it, anyway). I assumed a few things, but I think a full decklist might look like this:

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
7 Mountain
7 Plains
4 Goldspan Dragon
4 Storm-Kiln Artist
2 Lorehold Command
4 Revitalize
1 Show of Confidence
2 Kazuul's Fury // Kazuul's Cliffs
4 Furycalm Snarl
4 Needleverge Pathway // Pillarverge Pathway
4 Rowan, Scholar of Sparks // Will, Scholar of Frost
1 Reconstruct History
4 Secret Rendezvous
4 Seize the Spoils
4 Thrilling Discovery
4 Tormenting Voice

Display deck statistics

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Ridiculous draft deck I just used to go 6-3 in quick draft:

3 Feign Death
3 Deadly Dispute
1 Power Word Kill
2 Price of Loyalty

3 Hobgoblin Captain
1 Skullport Merchant
4 Vampire Spawn
1 Plundering Barbarian
1 Death Priest of Myrkul
2 Hoarding Ogre
1 Zombie Ogre
2 Swarming Goblins

8 Swamp
8 Mountain

Whoever said "draft Vampire Spawn and Feign Death" (sorry, I couldn't find your post) is 100% correct. What they didn't add was to also draft Death Priest of Myrkul. This deck is made of bot-wheeling cards, too - I think it's probably possible to draft it repeatedly in Quick Draft. I'd have liked more removal that didn't require two cards, but I'm not sure where I'd put it anyway. 16 lands, and flooded out in half my games regardless due to the quality of the card draw and the sheer amounts of treasure.

I had an extra Hobgoblin Captain, Deadly Dispute, and Hoarding Ogre in my sideboard too; the bots underestimate red/black at the moment.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Naya Runes is kind of bonkers. Somehow, before playing it, I missed that Jukai Naturalist and Rune-Forged Champion make runes free. It's basically Storm.

This list is fun, it gets some pretty crazy starts. (And a 4/5 lifelink dude will gently caress mono-red all day). I can't comment on sideboarding though - currently I'm on the best of 1 train. Maybe I can sneak Legion Angel in there somewhere, use my side board for something.

https://mtgazone.com/user-decks/thpv8qab6uakizxrifyu/
Deck
4 Generous Visitor
2 Kami of Transience
4 Jukai Naturalist
4 Runeforge Champion
3 Rune of Sustenance
3 Rune of Speed
4 Rune of Might
2 Michiko's Reign of Truth
4 Wedding Announcement
3 The Restoration of Eiganjo