Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I installed this a couple days ago. I played Magic in the ancient days but quit around...uh...Weatherlight? That was a set right? Anyway I'm having a look at this and really don't know whether I want to experience mana screw again, and of course the particular cards in the meta are nearly all alien to me now despite my memory of the fundamentals. In my Hearthstone days I liked Warlock best mostly because of their innate ability to get cards for life. Can this game offer me a nice high-octane playstyle with lots of card flow and action? I remember Black and Red being good for going wild with cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like this Cult of Rakdos newbie deck I got for leveling my account. Card draw and action. I assume it's totally worthless for fighting humans instead of the bot?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I also picked up "Liliana's Legion" as a Twitch prime reward and smacked around some other probably newbies who looked like they were using the account mastery decks. How does matchmaking work? Entirely based on the bronze silver etc ranks?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
1) are three color decks a bad idea
2) how long do I have until these ravnica cards I'm enjoying in the Rakdos and dmir sample decks rotate
3) I found out about free packs for codes what else might a newbie miss and need to know to get a good jump in

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks! I actually had missed some of those codes!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

A Moose posted:

. I just beat Izzet Flash without a sideboard in Bo3.

OK so I got to account level 25 and got another batch of precon decks unlocked and the Izzet League one looks like extremely my jam. Card draws and copies and blasting away and bizarre combos. So I would like to know what this competitive Izzet deck is, TIA.

Kinda mad I can't punch the bot for my quests any more though :mad:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ah, I see Izzet refers to blue/red decks in general. I was just having a blast with the precon firing off draw and copy and ping combos that I didn't even understand. Also having been away from Magic for a long time it's been nice coming back to see such high-quality artwork and theming all around. This izzet precon is lightning techowizards and the Rakdos deck I like is death carnival cultists and it's all quite cool. Outstanding representations of PoC too.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bought the welcome bundle, which means I have 2500 gems. What is the most efficient use of these things so I don't weep over my five bucks?

After punching in all codes and getting the bundle, plus the last two weeks-ish of quests, I've got like 20 common, 20 uncommon, 10 rare, 3 mythic wildcards. I was planning to sit on them until I play against some rando and he crushes me with a card I've never seen and I think "I want that." Thoughts on how miserly to be with these?

e: I read the OP and it says the rare wildcards are precious treasures so I assume the mythics are too but I can go hog wild dumping the (un)commons

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just Newbie Things: I'm playing the Boros precon against this guy who plays Simic Ascendancy, so he'll win at the start of turn if he can play twenty +1/+1s. I'm smacking him a little while he ramps and then he plays a hydra with eight +1s. I can't deal with that so next turn he plays a galloping lozrog that makes sixteen +1s. He "good games" me :smug:

I shrug and attack with my dudes, knowing he just blocks em and I lose...until he uses the lozrog to block my Truefire Captain, which (maybe incorrect name aside) deals damage to a player equal to the damage it takes. The responsive "good game" while I aimed nineteen damage to his face was pure honey.

Anyway...is there a weekly prize handout in this like Hearthstone's brawls? Or anything nice at the end of the daily and weekly win payouts?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ah so I can get the gems I need to turn my welcome bundle purchase into a mastery pass if I go to ranked draft huh? I'm following the conversations here and learning what I can as quickly as I can but if someone has a link for basics of how to draft I'd appreciate it cuz I'm even more a babe in the woods there than playing the precons in constructed.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
That deck looks great. Thanks for posting it. Light up the Stage and Skewer the Critics were exactly what I loved about the Rakdos precon and I will play any deck with them. I also love cheap aggro.

Is the 93% number in that screenshot win rate because sweet Lord

But what do you guys mean "land fixing?" Can I get away without using the 25 lands the precons have?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do you guys determine how much lands to put in a deck?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Excellent links. Thank you.

If I get my 15 wins a week XP will I get to the top of the mastery pass? If not, how much daily win grinding does it take? I'm still mulling over putting in effort to get it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The adding periods to your email address trick doesn't seem to be letting me select multiple tournament winners. Only received a confirmation email for the first one I picked. Did they tighten it up or something?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wish this were on phones for the sole reason that I could use Google credit that way. I would be happy to buy the gems I need for mastery pass with survey credits like I used to do for HS. It's not money I could really spend on food or rent anyway.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do Adventures interact with "have spells in your graveyard" effects? Guessing nothing?

And at end of season do I get prizes for highest rank or current rank?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So this is where I've wandered tinkering with Izzet and using a portion of my rare wildcard allotment mostly for dual lands. The Arclight Phoenix was a lucky unpack.

2 Pteramander
2 Electrostatic Field
2 Augur of Bolas
4 Lightning Stormkin
2 Goblin Electromancer
2 Phoenix of Ash
1 Arclight Phoenix
1 Crackling Drake
4 Shock
4 Light Up The Stage
4 Skewer The Critics
4 Winged Words
2 Flame Sweep
2 Stern Dismissal
1 Lava Coil
1 Phorkobus or whoever Intervention
2 Swiftwater Cliffs
4 Steam Vents
7 Island
9 Mountain

I solicit advice from kind souls on how to beef it up with judicious use of my remaining wildcards. I'm also playing Rakdos (posting that one next) and want to budget for it and for Boros and Orhzov after that.

Please keep in mind: I'm new, stomping around the baby leagues, and just want to stomp them more effectively. The things I like about my deck are card draw, fast action, blasting stuff, flier synergy, Spectacle, and instant/sorcery synergy. I'd like to retain as many of those themes as possible.

I know the Pteramanders don't play 100% nice with Phoenix of Ash but I haven't really felt a problem. I'm getting angry in particular at the Augurs because they skunk on their draw far too often for my taste even with 22 qualified spells. I don't know whether to nix the Electromancers or alter my spell composition to better leverage them, but I sure like the little guys.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks evilweasel and spaceinvader. I hadn't even heard of those cards so I'll have a look. I was avoiding enchantments in the name of having a lot of instant/sorcs though, and the instant/sorc count is why I thought Arclight Phoenix would work.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Some of the draw-based triggers are awkward for the deck as currently conceived because Light Up The Stage doesn't "draw" cards and neither do Augurs of Bolas. Based on what I learned from a previous question though Adventure creatures will be instants/sorceries for several relevant purposes - cheaper from Electromancers, trigger Arclight Phoenix or Electrostatic Field - so maybe I should get some of those going.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

The last like 10 pages have been nothing but draft chat so I would assume so

Between this thread and what I see on Twitch it seems like Magic is a draft game and constructed is an after-thought.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking of the difference between text and an official keyword it irks me unreasonably to see Eat to Extinction state "look at your top card and put it in the graveyard if you want." That's Surveil 1. Call it Surveil 1.

I am happy to hear this is coming to mobile so I can spend funbux on it, if I am still interested at the time. Every Eldraine card I meet kind of pisses me off worse.

Rules / UI question: my enemy played a planeswalker. I could see that if they fired off a loyalty-spending power it would be bad for me. I wanted to Shock the planeswalker to drop its loyalty before they could spend. I had no window to do that. Is that just The Rules or is there a way to ask the game to give me an action opportunity there or what? If my enemy drops a creature I don't like I have a window to Shock it before they use its powers so I don't get why I couldn't hit their planeswalker to save myself.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

fadam posted:

People bring this up on Mark’s blog and apparently reducing the number of keywords in a set helps new players/brainlets keep mechanics straight.

To your second point, you can only cast spells when you have priority. Unless they do something between playing the PW and activating an ability, the next time you’ll get priority is after they activate an ability.

I see. I can accept that if it's The Rules. It's a shame about the non-keywording because here in the digital game you can figure out what any card with five keywords does by mousing over it. Limits of simultaneously existing in print I guess - but I can understand it, because honestly I wouldn't have gotten in to this if I had to learn the thousand keywords in this game now without digital assistance.

Do they print new keywords and forget 'em every set? Or is there a "rotation" of sorts where Spectacle (for example) existed before and will exist again, besides "core" keywords that were there in the 90s like First Strike? This game seems to have a shitload of keywords.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Saw a guy with a black nyx owl pet. Where'd he get that?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hi I'm playing this in low rank Constructed and I like it. Where should I go to improve it? Obviously going with token generation and death effects for the theme.

4 Footlight Fiend
4 Spark Harvest
2 Lampad of Death's Vigil
4 Cruel Celebrant
4 Orzhov Enforcer
4 Ministrant of Obligation
4 Midnight Reaper
3 Revival / Revenge
3 Teysa Karlov
2 Kaya's Wrath
2 Seraph of the Scales
8 Plains
10 Swamp
2 Castle Lochtwain
1 Godless Shrine
3 Scoured Barrens

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

Conclave Tribunal? That WB Knight that drains on creatures hitting the battlefield?

edit: Corpse Knight, also doesn't drain, just domes them for 1.

Convoke with tokens :aaaaa:

Thanks folks, I'll look at Nightmare Shepherd and Woe Strider. I know of Strider already - I am thinking 2 Striders in place of 2 Lampad because Strider costs no mana to perform the sac. My WC supply is real tight right now though (see: I only have 1 good dual land for this deck).

Edited to look like less of a moron baby: I knew tokens are nearly the whole point of Convoke but I got stuck in thinking of Convoke as a green/white technique. Despite using the "black/red" Footlight Fiend.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 3, 2020

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna burn my draft token from mastery pass real soon. How do I draft differently for Bo3? Not that I really know how to draft wisely for Bo1.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What is this color challenge? The benefit bubbles appear checked off. Do I already have the prizes from leveling my account or something?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys. It's gonna be a lot more MTGA in the next weeks for me with covid-19 doing its thing. Wanna get all the prizes.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Drewjitsu posted:

If mono w became a really popular deck, I'd throw a few in the sb for the mirror, but I don't see that deck at all.

It's an awesome feeling when it curves out, I will give you that. It feels unbeatable.

Must be a rank thing. Here in baby silver I see four things: white lifegain aggro, white green buffs, red aggro, and red green blue Elementals. Seriously the number of white green buffs decks in particular is maddening and I'm thinking about including un targeted sac effects or something for all these rear end in a top hat Hexproof Vigilance towers.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Equally though, the games are not a huge amount softer in the play queue as in the ranked queue, especially at low levels, so you honestly might as well ladder I think.

I don't know - while I do largely see the same decks in Play as Silver Ranked, there are more off-the-wall strangers running around Play (mill decks lol) and only in Play do I ever get T1 snap concedes for free win prizes.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm very bad at draft but it looks like Typhon adds more punch to the deck and you're doing ok for 2 CMC choices already.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is where I've gone with Izzet.

Phoenix Possibilities
3 Pteramander
4 Merfolk Secretkeeper
4 Goblin Electromancer
3 Bonecrusher Giant
2 Phoenix of Ash
2 Brazen Borrower
4 Arclight Phoenix
3 Chandra's Pyrohelix
2 Beacon Bolt
3 Shimmer of Possibility
4 Thrill of Possibility
4 Winged Words
2 Temple of Epiphany
4 Steam Vents
7 Mountain
9 Island

It's super fun for me when it works but it seems like every stupid jerk runs exiling removal or outright graveyard hate. It's depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm having a good time with this black red aggro that grew out of the Rakdos starter. I like it much more than monored because it has that "spend life to hit the gas pedal" card draw thing going on. I can aggro down lots of opponents even into midgame and the Footlight Fiends, particularly, give me a real fighting chance against monored.

4 Footlight Fiend
2 Scorch Spitter
4 Shock
3 Stormfist Crusader
1 Robber of the Rich
2 Dreadhorde Butcher
2 Midnight Reaper
1 Murder
1 Bedevil
4 Light Up The Stage
4 Skewer The Critics
4 Hackrobat