Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

3cc to take control of an opponent's creature in exchange for giving them food (assuming food is an artifact) seems pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Propaganda Hour posted:

I wonder if Adventures require food? Something like treasure tokens, food can be sacrificed to go on an adventure?

Wouldn't that be an incredibly parasitic mechanic a la energy in Kaladesh?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The adventure puts the card into exile, where you can then play it as a creature.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I had the best win rate with the Jund deck, since I think basically every card synergizes with the Commander. Fairy deck was also pretty good since it has a lot of removal but basically relies on your Commander (plus a swarm of fairies) to win, so if it dies you're kinda boned. It feels like a midrange Esper hero deck, but with a LOT of poo poo cards instead of good cards like Thief of Sanity.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

GimmickMan posted:

For context: That deck is called turbofog and is at the lowest rank because it's not competitive.

Like it loses to starter decks that get a good draw.

But when it does work it's a machine of malicious frustration!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

They should implement ghost drafts for historical formats.

Also current formats.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

With the new (old) guild leader avatars, I'm sorta surprised that didn't give them lines, especially ones tied to the emotes. Like they wouldn't have to just be "good game," but something along those lines that are also in line with their personalities. Seems like a wasted opportunity for worldbuilding and characterization (and monetization from premium avatars).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL I can’t imaging losing 5 games in a row and not wanting to go do something else.

Do something else in most cases is to play RDW. RIP come rotation.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Make your own monster sounds like the best time to bring back banding.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Oceanbound posted:

The mechanics of this thing also have absolutely nothing to do with the Questing Beast in the novel. lol.

Honestly, it feels like the conversion from story to mechanics has been pretty weak so far.

Also questing beast kills through turbofog :-(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I really hope there's a way to get some of those showcase arts. Of course the monkey's paw curls and they'll all cost gems.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

Not sure what deck this can belong to in standard.

I feel like Cavalcade is the closest but it seems like a win more situation.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

kater posted:

Funny way to stuff Cavalcade decks: Ethereal Absolution.

Also lol event gives 200 not 250. I'm really glad I don't need the xp and am just playing cuz its a crazy format.

The 200 xp thing triggers my ocd pretty fiercely. And I don't even need the xp.

Edit: 2-0 with turbofog, but I know that it will fold instantly to Cavalcade.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 10, 2019

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are the 2020 replacements for:

Cast Down
Moment of Craving
Vraska's Contempt

i.e. I want B spot removal options, including the possibility of gaining life and/or hitting walkers

Vraska's replacement is the Murderous Knight.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

I dunno why they show you what your opponent is looking at anyway, doesn't seem to add much either way.

So you can bluff that you have an answer, e.g., a counter, that you chose not to use.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

A Moose posted:

The worst part of this event is that if you try to make an anti-cavalcade deck, you won't run into cavalcade until game 2, because there's a lot of bad decks that cavalcade preys on, so you have to be able to beat everything else to get matched up against your best matchup.

I just gave up and made my own cavalcade deck. Someone went cerulean Drake into sephara, and had to use it to trade with a chandras spitfire and still died to pings. The deck is incredibly dumb, and you can't gently caress it up and your opponent can't stop it if it just decides it's going to go off

RDW is dead. Long live RDW.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The last few levels in the mastery pass should be packs in the next set.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Imagine a vampire losing a fight with a bird. This game is insane.

Dinosaurs are birds, therefore

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

TheMaestroso posted:

I've played against esper four times in a row and I'm kinda sick of getting my board wiped constantly

The trick to beating Esper is to not have a board.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I wish the elemental cat had a radial function for color change or at least randomly set a color instead of defaulting to red.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is that 5 level code for this mastery pass season or to get a head start on the next mastery pass season?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

That's not what casting off a realm cloak looks like at all!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sinteres posted:

At least if they ban Teferi (I have no opinion on whether or not that's likely, just saying if) they get to try again when he's the star of the core set next year.

They should just rerelease big and little Tef to terrorize standard for another two years!

It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat control player.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

But t3feri hurts control more than anything else, turning off your counters and bouncing your win con sucks.

It controls control!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rexxed posted:

They sent out an email around midnight EDT with the subject "You have opened 641 booster packs!" or whatever your amount is. It contains stats on your games played, gold earned, etc, and promises a code for a fblthp avatar and card sleeve will show up within the next week.

So I know Wizards lol etc., but I didn't receive this e-mail?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So I just logged in for the first time today and got the NPE decks. I guess we don't actually get the cards in those decks if we already had them? Because I looked at the monoblack one and that didn't give me an extra Knight of the Ebon Legion?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So it turns out that having Teferi and Oko in play is incredibly oppressive. It owns. Oko + Hero = 3/3 + whatever I actually cast every turn on a planeswalker that ticks up when doing it, which also owns.

I wish I had a decent mana base though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I have no idea how long it will last, but Oko is loving ridiculous, especially if you get him out on T2 and doubly especially if you're on the play. Anything 3cc or less is in danger of being swapped, anything 4cc or more is in danger of just turning into a goddamn elk. Questing Beast? If it doesn't connect, then it turns into an Elk. Great Henge? Turned into an Elk. Literally any creature or artifact that is worse than a vanilla 3/3 just becomes a vanilla 3/3. And if there's no creature, then you can make a bunch of Food to say gently caress you to burn, or slowly roll out vanilla 3/3s of your own. Like you absolutely need Murderous Rider, Bedevil, or uh, Spark Harvest? to deal with Oko. Holy poo poo what a card.

And yeah adding lil Tef and Hero just feels mean.

This is what I've been playing. Doesn't feel optimized yet. I think I need to replace the Guardmages with something and even the Maraleafs are occasionally a pain in the rear end to cast, although both do create an alternative win condition of just hitting them in the air. I'm sorta tempted to see how a Superfriends-esque deck would work, using Dovin as another token generator instead of the Guardmages or using Tamiyo to recur anything/dig, but Tamiyo runs the problem of being a bit too slow and realistically I'm just thinking of Turbofog. Nissa is also only just okay, primarily used to power out Krasis.

4 Hero of Precinct One (RNA) 11
1 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
4 Forest (ANA) 65
3 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
3 Elite Guardmage (WAR) 195
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Maraleaf Pixie (ELD) 196
1 Island (ANA) 62

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

How does Dance win against Flash? Is it just hoping to resolve Teferi/Wrath?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

fadam posted:

Play mono black now while it’s weak so when Theros comes out and soups the deck up you’re like that guy from Naruto who removed his heavy socks and whipped rear end.

But he still lost the fight and ended up crippled afterwards?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

turboraton posted:

Aight I wanna ask an honest question here. I'm saving gems and money for the Eldraine drafts so I'm unable to play with sideboards on the new set. I've been mostly playing Bo1 this week... question is, how do you guys ENJOY this?

Games seem really swingy and there's no meat behind them. I'd rather play one bo3 than 2-3 bo1's. I've always said to each it's own but god drat bo1 seems so void of fun to me. Can't wait for the drafts to start.

I do bo1 if I have like 15 to 30 min to grind through the daily quests. If I want to fully enjoy the game, bo3 is the way to go, but sometimes you just want to kill 15 creatures really fast.

I also don't think bo1 is unenjoyable either. It's not a chasm in quality, even if it's frustrating if you, eg, go second against an aggro deck like 15 times in a row.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Went 4-0 then lost two in a row

Pretty happy with the deck, though. Weirdly the Heroes were the weakest part of it but they also provided a pretty decent stream of blockers in some matches to chump against Wicked Wolves and whoever I happened to turn into an Elk on their side (Great Henge, Feasting Troll Kings were pretty popular targets). They also turn into Elks pretty readily!

MVP was the Goose which gave me HP against Cavalcade and also people seem to forget that they can make Food, which is fun when they block into my Wolf thinking that it would kill it.

4 Hero of Precinct One (RNA) 11
1 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Forest (ANA) 65
3 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
2 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
2 Island (ANA) 62
3 Wicked Wolf (ELD) 181
3 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
2 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Reality Sinner posted:

Reprint strip mine and sink hole

Or just ban Fields. Or just restrict it to Historic.

I actually like Standard otherwise, though. Playing against a non Golos Field deck is generally a good time!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Doltos posted:

I've determined Simic Flash is the most annoying deck to ever be created because it follows my two simple rules of annoying loving decks:

1. Counterspells
2. People playing cards and tanking on your turn.

I need deck ideas to crush this that aren't Golos because frankly I'm bored of playing it at this point. I'm thinking some sort of super friends deck between Dovin and Teferi.

I find midrange decks tend to be okay if you're throwing out threat after threat to basically run them out of counters and once something sticks, they run out of gas. Doubly so if that something is Tef. Losing dive down and curiosity helped with a lot of the bullshit.

But basically don't play decks that rely on a big play like Manse Danse. Throwing hero, Oko, Teferi, questing beast, wicked wolf turn after turn though...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Dance vs Golos is one thing but the Golos mirror is actual torture to play.

Golos outside of a mirror isn't fun to play either. I don't even get that sort of sinister glee that I get when I play like Turbofog or Control. It's just slamming lands down and occasionally playing a card that gets more land.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is Standard so broken that (effectively) 7cc main deck land destruction is viable?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

No Wave posted:

Ah I meant mythic invitational, the Bo1 mess that was like 35% esper 25% mono white and 15% mono red.

That's still a way better distribution than 42 to 18.

I hope they give compensation wc's for both Golos and Field if they only ban one but not the other.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

A Moose posted:

Self Mill definitely wants Tamiyos and Fog effects. Either that or you mill by making yourself draw comically large amounts of cards, usually with Guild Summit and Hydroid Krasis.

Turbofog is less viable now since between Teferi (who was already a threat to it) and Questing Beast, it's just too hard to get going. RIP most frustrating deck in the world.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Or maybe Fields is holding something really wild down.

My enjoyment of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Can someone explain to me why Golos Field players are the slowest imaginable. Like the deck is basically play lands, then play more lands.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 20, 2019