Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The bant brawl deck is extremely my poo poo. Playing lands, ramping, drawing cards, and then just getting value off etb stuff. Playing and bouncing meteor golem or frilled mystic every turn is sweet, keeping people off their commander is back breaking. The other decks are really slow too, and you can recover with time wipe after ramping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Chadzok posted:

Have you thought maybe you just lack the skills it takes to best your opponents? I myself have been performing admirably.

I just got Demonlord of Belzenlok and milled my whole deck. It required so much skill, a play like that takes such high IQ.

gently caress you for putting that card in Momir, wotc.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

The Teferi who was a creature in Time Spiral was also very annoying right

Small Teferi's passive is taken from Time Spiral's Teferi.

Time Spiral's Teferi was like the best control finisher and went into decks like Pickles Lock or Mystical Teachings. It was 100% game over if they EoT flash in Teferi, so he wasn't as annoying because you just scoop when it's on the stack. Then Llorwyn came out and gave us Cryptic Command and it was an amazing time to be a control player, but people moved from Time Spiral cards because Llorwyn Faeries were so good. People complaining about small Teferi have maybe forgotten how miserable it was to play against older control decks.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Let me respond to this by asking “what do you think the manabase for this even looks like right now?”

ICYMI, Bryan Gottlieb aced Fandom legends with Esper Dance and posted a d3ck t3c=k this morning with the decklist updates he made after the fact. He's not sold on it being the "best deck in standard" but it's very strong in this current "everyone is trying to do stuff with creatures" meta because Doom Foretold and Kaya's Wrath, Tef3ri, and Oath of Kaya is a super strong core, and the Dance + Eggs synergy gives the deck constant gas, perfect mana, and seriously disgusting win condition.

I wasn't 100% sold on Dance until the first time you actually put 5 eggs, 2 Dooms, and an Oath back into play and draw a new hand, it's truly gross.

I love Esper Dance, its really powerful after turn 4 and has good synergies. It's probably the only deck that can reliably play wishclaw talisman, too, and that's pretty huge. Tutoring planar cleansing and then bringing back the claw with dance won me a game that I was so behind in.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Funkdreamer posted:

The free event "answer" has to be Jeskai Fires, right? It works well against Golos and also handles aggro decks. I guess we'll see.

I'm thinking the best bet is anything with Fae of Wishes package to have answers for random decks. It seems like Golos is the deck to beat so people will build for that, but I don't feel like 12 random MTGA players are super in-tune with the meta.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I was playing Bant Golos and got knocked out of the event by a guildgate deck that drew Fae of Wishes for his Jace so he could mill himself of his last 5 cards to win. Along with Esper Doom, these types of decks make this standard format incredibly terrible and boring.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

BioThermo posted:

Don't queue with tcjimbo

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

MRLOLAST posted:

Hi MtG goons. I am a recent HS transplant and want to get in to MtG. I haven't played Magic since University and even then I just dabled in it a bit with a mono black Rotlung Reanimate deck.
So I installed the client + played the tutorial through. Where do I go from here? Open my wallet and get busy?

You don't really need to spend a lot on Arena, depending on what you want to do on there. I personally spend about $20-40 per new set now (about 3 months?). $20 if I needed additional gems for prerelease events, and $20 for the mastery pass. It'll take you a while to build up your collection but at least it's close to free to play.

If you play MTG Online, that's different and will require spending initial money. Yes, there's two different clients--Arena and Online. The grind on MTG Online feels better to me imo because you get better formats, real drafts, and can end up selling your tix. But I stick to Arena right now so I can just play casually with occasional ranked grinding.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

if you are f2p you are cursed with opening multiples of junk rares. my first playset was wishclaw talisman. i also opened zero risen reef in over 40 m20 boosters.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

fires players are free

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is there a decent "how to get better at draft" guide out there? I don't need concepts about how to play the game, how draft works, what I'm looking for would be more of an intermediate level guide. Deciding card value, what makes sense vs. what's just dumb, etc.

For MTGA isn't drafting just about learning how to take advantage of the bots?

In real draft there's not just card evaluation, but also signaling, tabling, etc. None of that exists in Arena.

Otherwise, you pick up card evaluation from articles or watching other people draft the format (aside from playing yourself) and understanding what's a bomb, pick priorities, and what your deck archetype needs. Some formats are kinda straightforward though.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The ashiok deck can be super durdly but I was able to win a game by using thief of sanity to steal a realm-cloaked giant and wipe the board. Thanks for putting a sweeper in the elspeth deck for some reason wotc!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

This is my third or fourth game against U/G/x Uro ramp jank and every one of those players didn't know that if you blink Uro with Thassa, that you have to sac it afterwards. It cost them the game each time.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

this is why arena needs better/other formats, too

hopefully we get cube drafts someday

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I am playing Gyruda in standard and this card is really stupid.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The Gyruda mirror is great lol it's like we're not even playing magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

hail satan :devil: