Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Spiderdrake posted:

Or maybe they don't even work there anymore, given the lovely part is text from a decade old card designed in an era that nearly killed Magic.

It dates back to Fallen Empires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Took MAY01-Hmj-98Eh-psN, got a style for a blue card I didn't recognize and have already forgotten.

I only started playing mtga last week after not playing magic for 2 decades (oh God I'm old). Thanks Covid ennui

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Ithle01 posted:

$20-$25 depending on how you buy gems. I'm not even remotely qualified to try to go 2:1 or whatever the point where you get gems back is in that picture so I'm staying well away from this.

What about the 5 godzilla lands?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

I started playing Magic in '94 and the og trample rules were different. If you swung with an 8/8 Force of Nature and your opponent blocked with 8 1/1s, you could assign all 8 damage to a single 1/1 creature and have 7 damage carry over to the player. You can't do that anymore. You have to assign 1 damage to each 1/1 before trample carries over. I hate it and I'm still a little salty about it after all these years.

I'm still salty "Bands with others" doesn't exist anymore along with Mana Burn and Interrupts.

(More seriously, I got into Mtga thanks to covid after not even thinking about it in at least 10 years and not buying physical cards in 15+. Part of me is just shocked when you sit down and think about just how many sets have been released and it's still going)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I'm having a blast in the event a with a budget mono red aggro deck. It's stupid and I haven't been paired against anything built for the event but it's fun when it goes off. Fun way to grind my daily.

Edit: I can't stop laughing at the entire deck going to exile and back when you cast a 1 cmc spell. Maybe Covid stay-at-home is getting to me. Deck go brrr

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 29, 2020

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Tezzeract posted:

Got a decklist?

When I say budget, I meant cards I had laying around vs actual # of rares. I didnt really think it through much, I just went mono red and added cards as I went up the cost list. Im honestly surprised how quickly I got my two wins without needing to tweak it. It isn't designed with combos in mind

nstant (9)
Shock 2x Shock
Shock 2x Shock
Chandra's Pyrohelix 2x Chandra's Pyrohelix
Fire Prophecy 1x Fire Prophecy
Infuriate 2x Infuriate
Creature (17)
Grim Initiate 2x Grim Initiate
Pyroceratops 1x Pyroceratops
Volcanic Dragon 1x Volcanic Dragon
Drakuseth, Maw of Flames 1x Drakuseth, Maw of Flames
Yidaro, Wandering Monster 1x Yidaro, Wandering Monster
Daggersail Aeronaut 1x Daggersail Aeronaut
Spellgorger Weird 3x Spellgorger Weird
Obosh, the Preypiercer 1x Obosh, the Preypiercer
Legion Warboss 1x Legion Warboss
Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin 1x Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin
Tin Street Dodger 2x Tin Street Dodger
Scorch Spitter 2x Scorch Spitter
Artifact (4)
Heraldic Banner 4x Heraldic Banner
Planeswalker (1)
Tibalt, Rakish Instigator 1x Tibalt, Rakish Instigator
Land (24)
Mountain 24x Mountain
Enchantment (1)
Maniacal Rage 1x Maniacal Rage
Enchantment Creature (2)
Anax, Hardened in the Forge 2x Anax, Hardened in the Forge
Sorcery (2)
Lava Coil 2x Lava Coil

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

ATTN there is now a dog pet, repeat there is now a dog pet.

That is the only thing that makes me want to preorder but 100 is steep

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

house of the dad posted:

Reprints have never had dupe protection so I look forward to having two sets of temples that are entirely the same except for their set icon.

Maybe it's just rose tinted glasses but didn't reprints used to almost always have new art?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

IMJack posted:

This gets destroyed by Selesnya auras.

I'm just having fun playing a weaker variation of this. I didn't expect it to be op, just a new deck to fool around with. I am using the ozolith which isn't necessary but fun when it works out.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Is there a meaning to the names like Pioneer beyond the set based definition? Or is it just we need names for going back n years but not n+ years like format x

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

It's just the name of the the format.

Modern was called that because it starts with the first set with the "modern" frame, 8th edition, but they've updated the frame since then so yeah it's basically meaningless.

Looking forward to post-modern magic

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Ersatz posted:

It's been an interesting change of pace to me but, as someone earlier in the thread complained, it's annoying that so many people take so long to make their choices, particularly when there aren't many choices to make. Coming from primarily playing ranked, Jumpstart games really seem to draaaag.

To be fair it's hard not to when it's the first or second time playing your deck and you aren't familiar with a large chunk of cards and what to expect.

I think some of it is also that it inevitably just takes way more turns to win or lose than any of the other formats (maybe 2 really bad limited decks could be slow)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I have played jumpstart like 8 times and have seen only duplicates for the last two rounds >=(

To be fair there are 121 (?) half decks from 40 something themes, so its more of an issue if you just want the lands than new decks

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

My current spooky reanimated is the first pair whee im having trouble winning. It just doesn't seem to synergize at all (admittedly it's like my 3rd jumpstart set)

At least the lands are cool even if I don't play black often at all.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Going to try to run a rat colony deck since I doubt it would be anywhere worth the wcs normally

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

That FNM event was so cool I'm sad it's gone already. Didn't get to play that silly Nine Lives deck or the absurd Peer combos. :(

Unrelated but today I learned that trample and deathouch is a really really nasty combination. Definitely didn't pan out the way I expected.

That's a relatively recent change to deathtouch plus trample in the rules. I remember it surprising me in mtga.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

Not that new a change.

In the grand scheme of all the years of magic I meant. It's like 5ish years old?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Jabor posted:

The trample + deathtouch interaction has worked exactly the same way for about a decade.

Oh God I'm so old. I still think the eighth edition frame style change as relatively new.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Time posted:

my opponent has made 2 land drops and used 6 minutes of clock. should not be possible

In their defense, sometimes I get silently disconnected and basically It looks like the other is not playing for both people I think.

It's gotten much better but I feel like there was a few weeks there where I'd get disconnected during like 40% of matches.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

The Klowner posted:

shh, nobody tell him about Mana burn

I'll have you know, I've known about Mana Burn for months. Literally months now.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Since Cat news makes this relevant: I never understood the logic of being able to sacrifice after blockers are declared and then the creature still being blocked. I mean rules wise I understand it but logically it feels like a loophole.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

fadam posted:

It just plays a lot better and leaves less room for weird stuff to happen.

No disagreement, I just forgot it worked that way the first n times I played against cat oven decks.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I wouldn't say fine, each card was basically coded individually

That sounds like a mess of a code base and fully what I'd expect from the little positive I've heard of mtgo

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Its not a huge thing but i discovered you can make the "box art" on your decks any card, you dont have to have it in your deck, or even own it. Kinda nice. :shobon:

There was a period where everyone of my decks had trufflesnout as the art. Love to see that little guy

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Eej posted:

The period of Ikoria - Present Day

Fine. I meant for like a month until I kept on mixing up my decks and was embarrassed :colbert:

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

resting bort face posted:

kicker is such a stupid keyword

yes you are ruining my immersion

But I love being a Kicker of Elves

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Varinn posted:

got a shark typhoon in turbo draft and im having the time of my life running every draw/counter i can

this is 100% better than omniscience, and should come back

Currently I accidently overvalued crystals since they are like moxes and I'm left with a deck of 6 crystals and nothing good to use them on. Oops

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

As a whole I have never met a single person who would expect you to know, much less care, about the Harpers.

What about the Luters?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Zareth might be the 10th most powerful thing going on in Standard, he will never eat a ban.

To cater to the trendy market, Magic is going back to its artisanal roots like with FE

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Weird question, is flavor text never shown in Arena? Is it rarer than perhaps it once was or am I just never paying attention at the right time?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

It's in the tooltips when you are looking at your collection.

It's never visible during a game.

Boo to that. Someone was roping me today or they had a bad connection so I was hovering over random cards and lands I wasn't as familiar with to look at the art. It just finally clicked that none of them I saw had flavor text.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I'm having a lot of fun with BW clerics even if it is weaker than most of the meta. I had one mirrorish match that was probably the longest game I've ever played. Like 45-50 turns

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

It's going to be awkward when they accidentally ban forests due to prevent omnath

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 10, 2020

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Fblthp avatar or bust

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

IMJack posted:

Any good decks for the Singleton event? I don't have enough brainpower this morning to brew my own.

I think any red with seven seven dwarfs plus making sure you have plenty of 3 plus spells red spells seemed to make winning a breeze

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I was going to say I thought most of the pause is backend and mtga servers are just making GBS threads the bed lately

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Mox Hombre posted:

anyone else get this bug? the card text is huge and floating besides the cards lol

Did you add dad to your deck?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

sit on my Facebook posted:

I've been iterating my BW Clerics deck for a while now, gonna do a ladder push with it this season. I've cruised up to diamond so far devouring Gruul and Yorion, and being fairly coin-flippy against Rogues

4 Archfiend's Vessel
4 Speaker of the Heavens
4 Luminarch Aspirant
4 Cleric of Life's Bond
2 Lurrus of the Dream Den
2 Rankle, Master of Pranks

1 Fight as One
3 Bloodchief's Thirst
3 Village Rites
4 Dire Tactics
1 Call of the Death Dweller
3 Agadeem's Awakening

2 Demonic Embrace
2 Maul of the Skyclaves

4 Brightclimb Pathway
4 Temple of Silence
7 Plains
5 Swamp
1 Castle Locthwain

SIDE
1 Fight as One
1 Bloodchief's Thirst
1 Cling to Dust
2 Soul-Guide Lantern
4 Agonizing Remorse
4 Skyclave Shade
2 Call of the Death Dweller

I've been playing and iterating on a version that includes Vito and leans heavily on lifelink. It's probably demonstrably worse but I like Vito too much.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

fadam posted:

From the cranky thread:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/set-and-theme-booster-additional-cards-kaldheim-2020-12-16

Some new cards. Looks like changeling is a set mechanic. If we end up getting snow too MH2 is here early baby!!

That giants grasp art is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

1/1 so far in my very lazy rat colony deck for FNM. I just wanted an excuse to finally craft 4 of them