Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It also handwaves characters doing things that make no sense to move the pot forward.

Yes, I pledge to serve
Yes, I pledge you my ships

Good alliance formed. Moving forward...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

bio347 posted:

IIRC the only other that's named in the books is Hawkwing (which makes the Seanchan's stance extra-odd).

I was looking at the Wheel of Time Fandom wiki earlier, and it mentioned a ta'veren I hadn't heard of before: Mabriam en Shereed. From the Wheel of Time Companion:

quote:

Mabriam en Shereed. An Aes Sedai of the Gray Ajah, with a strength level of 9(+4). Mabriam was Queen of Aramaelle and considered mainly responsible for forming the Compact of the Ten Nations, which was signed in 209 AB. Stories said that she was ta’veren. Merana, impressed by her memory, thought that when Kiruna and Bera first saw Cadsuane, it must have struck them the same way seeing Mabriam would be for her. Her name was sometimes rendered as “en Shareed.”
Paired with Hawkwing, it seems that the role of historical ta'veren is to unify nations. (Rand does some of this, but doesn't really have time to unify them all.)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

wtf who gave everyone power level numbers

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

buffalo all day posted:

Harriet

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

RJ did

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

Yeah, he had a private list of people's (especially women's) strength in the Power because Aes Sedai social dynamics are based in part on strength in the power, so he wanted to keep it straight who was supposed to be deferential to who. I imagine it just expanded from there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the goku power levels were very important to the lore

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess all credit to him for not putting it in the text.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's probably safe to assume that memory leakage between lives in not linear or even temporally constrained in the sense that knowledge that existed in different Ages along the wheel can show up even if the most recent technologically advanced Age we know of is the Age of Legends. Also there's the influence of the Pattern and Ta'averen putting pieces into place so that humanity and the Light can have a chance at winning.

Somewhere along the line down the Ages there was an idea to use gunpowder to make battle weapons. Maybe that got lost or seen as trivial because why bother, we've got magic. But the Pattern needs that to show up now, so a bunch of events coincide to spark that idea in this Age, with enough lead time to develop it into a basic military function.

I think it also speaks to shifts in the Shadow's strategy. You have the War of the Shadow, followed by the Breaking where humanity is pushed to the brink, a period of recovery that is shattered by the Trolloc Wars, then a more subtle approach where nations are allowed to coalesce up to a certain point but mostly society recedes and declines, leaving a softer target for the eventual endgame. Maybe if the Shadow had been more overt then that forcing mechanism would've resulted in a much more militarily advanced Westlands - sort of like what happened with the Seanchan.

Fair enough, but I like the idea better that the knowledge of gun powder didn't have to leak, because Aludra just repurposed knowledge she already had. From her guild. A guild which has existed for quite some time already before the Seanchan killed or enslaved them all.

My version of truth is that the pattern made it so the Seanchan freaked out and committed an atrocity, just so Aludra would be driven to take revenge, and then shoved her and Mat together to make things explode.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Data Graham posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this why you need to put in your will to burn your notes

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

It's the first I've ever heard of it and yeah, loving this. Everything gets stupid with numbers tacked on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I dont understand this whole 9(+1) thing. The 9 is obviously their power level, whats the second number?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

buffalo all day posted:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I dont understand this whole 9(+1) thing. The 9 is obviously their power level, whats the second number?

They're hilarious. I started reading the book just front-to-back, but it's the entire thing is just a giant glossary, and people whose names begin with "A" are long before the entry on "strength in the One Power", so the first exposure to the ranking system was stuff like how Adeleas had a strength level of 23(11), while Aginor's was ++2.

The actual section explaining the numbers isn't very clear either, but I can at least explain the parentheticals: It's not a set of measurements like height, but a ranking of who is first, second, etc. There was an old system the Aes Sedai used which ran from 1-60. The problem is that the supergirls were all stronger than the previously established #1, so the scale had to be rejiggered, adding twelve additional levels of 'strongest'. In the old system, Adeleas was of the 11th rank, but in the new system she's of the 23rd.

edit: I think "9(+4)" means that she's of the 9th rank in the new system, and 4 ranks above the old system. Like, Graendal is 3(+10), Egwene and Elayne are 8(+5).

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 25, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

"Line up for the class portrait by strength in the power." -- a grey, probably.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Anias posted:

"Line up for the class portrait by strength in the power." -- a grey, probably.

I was going to say that sounds more like a white, but on reflection that would totally be a brown thing, right?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Vavrek posted:

I was going to say that sounds more like a white, but on reflection that would totally be a brown thing, right?

Really it would be all of them, they just wouldn't say it out loud. It would just be assumed that the highest powered one gets first pick of spot, followed by the second, and so on down the line until the weakest is being used as a chair or something equally stupid. Anyone who argued would get sniffed at and given lovely jobs.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The power levels really feel like something that only existed as an author aid, and should not have been made public.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Gnoman posted:

The power levels really feel like something that only existed as an author aid, and should not have been made public.

just picturing the asha'man hanging around a table talking about how they only date 6's or better

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

Like all of JK Rowling's statements after the series was over

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

just picturing the asha'man hanging around a table talking about how they only date 6's or better

:drat:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Gnoman posted:

buffalo all day posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this why you need to put in your will to burn your notes

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Nah you make those notes super hosed up cause you’ll be dead anyways.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Gnoman posted:

I mean, that's what they were!

It's a damned good thing RJ kept such copious notes, too, given what happened.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I guess as a historical artifact they're interesting, but as with Herbert and Tolkien, do not let your large adult failsons try to Expanded Universe them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if they'd been worked into the last few books it would have sucked, but existing purely as just some weird documentation in side content is fine by me i guess

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You’d think they would find a way to make their innate power increase since they can all do it artificially through totems/linking.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Like all of JK Rowling's statements after the series was over

Nah. Most of Rowling's poo poo was a desperate attempt to stay relevant, which isn't the same thing.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
To join the Rand vs LTT(Linus tech tips lol) from a few pages ago.

Rand and LTT are the same soul, but they lived entirely different lives, so even though they occupy the same body and share memories, they are different people, even though they are also the same person.

I always thought Rand thinking in his past life’s internal monologue is kind of like how multilingual people have different internal monologues in different languages.

Like the LTT in Rand’s head is when Rand is thinking to himself in his LTT inner monologue. Rand is LTT, so it’s not crazy that he can think in LTTs inner monologue. Like how someone who knows English and Spanish can think in Spanish or in English. He can think in LTT or in Rand, or in various combinations of both.

Rand isn’t aware this is happening early in the series, but eventually he does and he starts compartmentalizing which parts of himself are Rand and which are LTT, and treating them as separate entities which can have conversations between them, until veins of gold.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

How are u posted:

It's the first I've ever heard of it and yeah, loving this. Everything gets stupid with numbers tacked on.

The d20 rpg doesn't even mention innate power cap levels. That just uses caster level plus int and wis bonus.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

RedFlag posted:

Now I’m picturing Ishy going through a copy of TV tropes (came in a stasis box) trying to figure out the one weird trick that will turn or kill Rand.

No wonder the forsaken are so scared of moving against him or the other two. “No, that would be Too Many Ninjas.” “We need a good Xanathos Gambit here, overly complex plotting go!”

Explains a lot. Doesn’t one of the Forsaken think about this directly in the Sanderson books? I think the context was killing Perrin, hence the whole Children of Light setup?

I would watch this spinoff

buffalo all day posted:

just picturing the asha'man hanging around a table talking about how they only bond 6's or better

:trumppop:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

th3t00t posted:

To join the Rand vs LTT(Linus tech tips lol) from a few pages ago.

Rand and LTT are the same soul, but they lived entirely different lives, so even though they occupy the same body and share memories, they are different people, even though they are also the same person.

I always thought Rand thinking in his past life’s internal monologue is kind of like how multilingual people have different internal monologues in different languages.

Like the LTT in Rand’s head is when Rand is thinking to himself in his LTT inner monologue. Rand is LTT, so it’s not crazy that he can think in LTTs inner monologue. Like how someone who knows English and Spanish can think in Spanish or in English. He can think in LTT or in Rand, or in various combinations of both.

Rand isn’t aware this is happening early in the series, but eventually he does and he starts compartmentalizing which parts of himself are Rand and which are LTT, and treating them as separate entities which can have conversations between them, until veins of gold.

I think this is a coherent explanation of what's going on and explains it quite well, I'm going to keep this going forward

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

I think this is a coherent explanation of what's going on and explains it quite well, I'm going to keep this going forward

Yeah, I dropped out of the madness conversation earlier because it looked like the difference was basically on how people were describing a shared understanding of the situation, and the topic had moved on. I think everyone is on the same page the voice in Rand's head is a construct of LTT's memories taking up residence in his mind. I would call him real because he's not something that Rand is imagining per-se rather he's an alternate personality with actual experiences that Rand can't otherwise fully access. However, it's also true to say he's a product of insanity because if Rand were mentally healthy he'd just be able to remember the life without the voice sobbing in his head.

I remember when the books were still coming out people had theories about like time travel conversations and stuff like that, which always struck me as very silly.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Gambor posted:

I remember when the books were still coming out people had theories about like time travel conversations and stuff like that, which always struck me as very silly.

Feist's Magician (1982) had Tomas/Ashen-Shugar and Midkemia was certainly still selling books into the 90s while WoT was growing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Anias posted:

Feist's Magician (1982) had Tomas/Ashen-Shugar and Midkemia was certainly still selling books into the 90s while WoT was growing.

Did Tomas have conversations with Ashen-Shugar? I can't really remember that, he mostly just spoke as if he was Ashen-Shugar whenever he remembered something from the time of the Chaos Wars, but that's because he had Ashen-Shugar's memories.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Anias posted:

I haven't read that.

To be clear, I'm not calling the concept itself silly, just the idea that it was a good explanation for what we were seeing in WoT. The main thing about it was that if it's true that would mean that just as Rand has knowledge of the past, LTT would have knowledge of the future. Some folks took that idea and ran with it. It led to fan theories like the Breaking was just a step in the Dragon's cross age grand plan to defeat the Shadow.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Did Tomas have conversations with Ashen-Shugar? I can't really remember that, he mostly just spoke as if he was Ashen-Shugar whenever he remembered something from the time of the Chaos Wars, but that's because he had Ashen-Shugar's memories.

Yep!

FeistMagicianMasterPg287-290 posted:

Ashen-Shugar looked across the desolation of the plains, dry cracked lands devoid of moisture save for bubbling aka,i pots that spewed foul odors into the air. Aloud, to his unseen companion, he said, “It has been some time since last we spoke.”
Tathar and the others seek to keep us apart. You are often forgotten.
The fetid winds blew from the north, cold but cloying. The smell of decay was everywhere, and in the residue of the mighty madness that had gripped the universe around, only faint stirrings of life reasserting itself were felt.
“No matter. We are together again.”
What is this place?

Etc...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

seaborgium posted:

Really it would be all of them, they just wouldn't say it out loud. It would just be assumed that the highest powered one gets first pick of spot, followed by the second, and so on down the line until the weakest is being used as a chair or something equally stupid. Anyone who argued would get sniffed at and given lovely jobs.

I can totally see this in my mind now. At least three rows of women, all of mixed heights, causing random Aes Sedai to be hidden from view completely.

A total mess of a picture is the result

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Libluini posted:

I can totally see this in my mind now. At least three rows of women, all of mixed heights, causing random Aes Sedai to be hidden from view completely.

A total mess of a picture is the result

Simple solution, make the most powerful Aes Sedai the photographer, ordering them into each position.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
For some reason this discussion reminds me of that photo that came out a few years ago of "important" people and everyone is very carefully placed to balance the photo while no one is over shadowed except Elon Musk who clearly said gently caress it and chose his own place to stand, ruining the photo.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Atlas Hugged posted:

For some reason this discussion reminds me of that photo that came out a few years ago of "important" people and everyone is very carefully placed to balance the photo while no one is over shadowed except Elon Musk who clearly said gently caress it and chose his own place to stand, ruining the photo.

He's... he's on the counter. WHY IS HE STANDING ON THE COUNTER?