Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

everything about randland is perfectly normal what do you mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Levitate posted:

pardon for jumping into this thread but re-reading the books again for the first time in awhile and it's really fuckin' weird to me that Jordan has this thing that women are powerful and competent and important in his world but at the same time the men/women dynamics and everything are so weirdly 50's conservative gender roles or whatever you want to call it.

For the most part they aren't. The closest is in the Two Rivers, but even there it isn't a great fit. Just about the only area you see "traditional" gender roles play out is in clothing. Other than that, every culture group has an individual set of gender roles, none of which closely align with "50s conservative".

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Gnoman posted:

For the most part they aren't. The closest is in the Two Rivers, but even there it isn't a great fit. Just about the only area you see "traditional" gender roles play out is in clothing. Other than that, every culture group has an individual set of gender roles, none of which closely align with "50s conservative".

Eh I think I chose my words on that poorly but I think there's an overarching interaction between women and men in the book that is very "women are like and men are like this and they interact this way" that is touched up on the surface between the different groups but still underlies things

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Levitate posted:

Eh I think I chose my words on that poorly but I think there's an overarching interaction between women and men in the book that is very "women are like and men are like this and they interact this way" that is touched up on the surface between the different groups but still underlies things

Look at this a bit deeper. RJ spends a lot of time highlighting how sapient beings find patterns and draw erroneous conclusions.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Levitate posted:

Anias has the right of it. THe vast majority of the "Men are X" or "Women are X" comments come from a character who very soon does the same thing they are criticizing the opposite sex for.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

"Men are so violent, I should beat some sense into them." - Nynaeve probably.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cool posted:

"Men are so violent, I should beat some sense into them." - Nynaeve probably.

Nynaeve contradicts herself in the course of a single sentence sometimes. One of the times I remember she thinks it was a bad idea to tell Thom and Juilin what they were doing, and literally seconds later thinks she always thought they should have told them everything from the beginning

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Gnoman posted:

On the other hand, RJ does make gender a nonfluid construct, assigned and identified at birth among channelers. The only time we see what could be approaching trans folks (at least as far as Source usage) it is two reborn Forsaken in opposite gendered bodies.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Synastren posted:

On the other hand, RJ does make gender a nonfluid construct, assigned and identified at birth among channelers. The only time we see what could be approaching trans folks (at least as far as Source usage) it is two reborn Forsaken in opposite gendered bodies.

Only one, not two. That's a legitimate criticism, and it is an artifact of Jordan writing in an era where trans folk were a great big joke if they were acknowledged to exist at all.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Gnoman posted:

Only one, not two. That's a legitimate criticism, and it is an artifact of Jordan writing in an era where trans folk were a great big joke if they were acknowledged to exist at all.

Yeah. Part of me wonders if he would have made a change to that (at least in an interview or something if not in the text) had he lived longer. He's pretty progressive for a southern fantasy writer of his generation. And I'm sure it's something neither Brandon nor Harriet want to make a comment about now either.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
I think it's also that Jordan was operating in the context of second-wave feminism, which was a lot more essentialist about gender/sex/sexuality than modern feminism. So some of this is stuff that was progressive according to the understanding of the time, even though nowadays we see those blind spots and have moved past them.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I was thinking of that a couple days ago; how the male and female halves of the source are so codified in the lore and are such a fundamental piece of the world you've built. How would you even begin to introduce doubt into that structure without immediately shattering your world?

I wound up convincing myself the True Power was actually the non-binary solution for the world but Randland just wasn't ready for it from a societal standpoint. I'm also ignoring that it seems to be sourced literally from the devil.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

I was thinking of that a couple days ago; how the male and female halves of the source are so codified in the lore and are such a fundamental piece of the world you've built. How would you even begin to introduce doubt into that structure without immediately shattering your world?

I wound up convincing myself the True Power was actually the non-binary solution for the world but Randland just wasn't ready for it from a societal standpoint. I'm also ignoring that it seems to be sourced literally from the devil.

The researchers in the age of legends believed that, and that it was a great thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've rread these books multiple times and you cant argue that Jordan doesnt rely on stock women with roller pin type stereotypes to pad some of his comedic scenes.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Gnoman posted:

I don't see why it's a criticism. 1 Trans character is still infinitely more Trans characters than any of the successful IPs that have made it to TV or Movie like MCU, LOTR, GoT, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.

Shageletic posted:

I've rread these books multiple times and you cant argue that Jordan doesnt rely on stock women with roller pin type stereotypes to pad some of his comedic scenes.
Jordan is very guilty of this.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

th3t00t posted:

I don't see why it's a criticism. 1 Trans character is still infinitely more Trans characters than any of the successful IPs that have made it to TV or Movie like MCU, LOTR, GoT, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.
Jordan is very guilty of this.

but it's not 1 trans character it's "1 character made trans as punishment by the Devil," and it's not exactly used to explore gender essentialism or anything

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, it's not. good. i would have rather it not be a thing.

then again that also sums up a few other things in the series.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Today I learned that Aviendha lost some toe in the Last Battle.

How did I not catch that pun?!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DarkHorse posted:

Today I learned that Aviendha lost some toe in the Last Battle.

How did I not catch that pun?!

Min even foreshadows it so maybe she saw it in a vision.

Well, makes the toes toh joke.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 15, 2021

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

th3t00t posted:

the entire situation with Aran'gar is a mess and honestly i don't really know how to start fixing it

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just cut it entirely. It's a dead plotline that can simply not exist, and you lose nothing from the story. It does show that TDO can bring people back in new bodies at whim if they haven't been balefired, but you don't really need more examples of that past Ishamael and Lanfear, both of whom are vastly more integral to the plot. Aran'gar's total plot contribution amounts to: "give egwene headaches, free Moghedien, and get chumped by Graendal". The first part is irrelevant/doesn't need to exist, the second part can be done by Delanna or Shaidar Haran, and the third part is also kinda irrelevant. It's part of Moridin's reasoning for executing Graendal, but he doesn't exactly need more reason there.

There is a world where a team of new writers could continue WoT in to the 4th age and explore more about the workings of the pattern, how fallible or not it is, and produce a good plotline about a misplaced soul that ended up in the wrong body (and don't get me wrong I'd fuckin KILL for more in the WoT universe), but this isn't that story and trying to make that work in this established universe would end up a gigantic mess that no one would be happy with. Odds are far better that we'd get a Game of Thrones S8 vs anything actually competently told.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Just cut it entirely. It's a dead plotline that can simply not exist, and you lose nothing from the story. It does show that TDO can bring people back in new bodies at whim if they haven't been balefired, but you don't really need more examples of that past Ishamael and Lanfear, both of whom are vastly more integral to the plot. Aran'gar's total plot contribution amounts to: "give egwene headaches, free Moghedien, and get chumped by Graendal". The first part is irrelevant/doesn't need to exist, the second part can be done by Delanna or Shaidar Haran, and the third part is also kinda irrelevant. It's part of Moridin's reasoning for executing Graendal, but he doesn't exactly need more reason there.

There is a world where a team of new writers could continue WoT in to the 4th age and explore more about the workings of the pattern, how fallible or not it is, and produce a good plotline about a misplaced soul that ended up in the wrong body (and don't get me wrong I'd fuckin KILL for more in the WoT universe), but this isn't that story and trying to make that work in this established universe would end up a gigantic mess that no one would be happy with. Odds are far better that we'd get a Game of Thrones S8 vs anything actually competently told.

:emptyquote:

as you say, you could try to do a plotline with a good trans channeler right, but it would require actively changing canon and there is really no reason to think the writers would handle it well. best to just remove the bad poo poo

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

They don't even need it to be someone channeling saidin because they can just say they inverted their weaves

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

like i get that some people will flip their poo poo if anything at all is touched in the source material instead of just translating it 1:1 for the show, but i have pretty much always been an ardent believer that there are some things that just suck and contribute nothing positive. and given that this is a goofy fantasy tv show we're talking about and not like historical event documentation, well, i won't really shed a tear if it gets removed.

that said none of us have any idea of what all they're going to inevitably change for the show and for all we know some of this poo poo will just be removed due to being irrelevant enough without even considering that it sucks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I thought we already knew they were gonna condense some forsaken and aes sedai and such. Whatever. As long as it's enjoyable and hits some of the beats that make the series enjoyable to me I'll be happy?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i think there was some interview linked a while ago where one of the big showrunners pretty much just says that inevitably some condensing will have to happen. it'll be interesting to see how that manifests and if it makes things weirdly busy or not.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Even the most ardent superfan has got to concede that like, the book 7-11 range has MEGA room for a ton of plot line consolidation and trimming.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Just waste Balthamel in the first season and don't even bring him back as anyone since he was really inconsequential in the overall plot. The only real standout moment I can recall is freeing Moghedien from the a'dam and getting blasted by Rand when he balefires the fortress in Knife of Dreams.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Given how few episodes a season there are, the source material is going to be more condensed than a black hole. Anyone that's expecting anything but the broadest strokes of the story to be included are just setting themselves up for disappointment, imo

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

CainsDescendant posted:

Given how few episodes a season there are, the source material is going to be more condensed than a black hole. Anyone that's expecting anything but the broadest strokes of the story to be included are just setting themselves up for disappointment, imo

Literally every single episode can end with mat kicking gawyn and galad's rear end with a quarterstaff and it will be must watch tv.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah. I mean, for sure, the books are hugely descriptive and a ton of that raw wordcount gets pared down, along with character's internal thoughts, but even still. I'm expecting at least one or two major book plotlines to just get 100% zapped. (Please let it be Perrin's dumb + bad stuff chasing faile).

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Anias posted:

Literally every single episode can end with mat kicking gawyn and galad's rear end with a quarterstaff and it will be must watch tv.

:same:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gwaihir posted:

Even the most ardent superfan has got to concede that like, the book 7-11 range has MEGA room for a ton of plot line consolidation and trimming.

Look if we don't get at least one full episode that's just Elayne taking a bath, they just aren't being faithful to the source material

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hygiene is very important

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Don’t worry I’d be pleasantly surprised if we even get to the chasing Faile for the next forever arc.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Is the reason the Aran’gar thing is bad because of the implication that it’s a punishment from the Dark One? Couldn’t they just frame it as a gift for their servitude like something Aran’gar specifically asked for somehow?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

latinotwink1997 posted:

Is the reason the Aran’gar thing is bad because of the implication that it’s a punishment from the Dark One? Couldn’t they just frame it as a gift for their servitude like something Aran’gar specifically asked for somehow?

That doesn't strike me as a very "Dark One" thing to do. Giving gifts that people ask nicely for, and stuff.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

How are u posted:

That doesn't strike me as a very "Dark One" thing to do. Giving gifts that people ask nicely for, and stuff.

What if there never was a Balthamel and instead it’s another female Forsaken that gets owned at the Eye and brought back but instead can channel Saidin? The DO did it on purpose so they increase chaos. Or are people just gonna see this as “trans are evil” and there’s really no way around it?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably not without establishing that the different forces are not tied to gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Ah well, I tried. I liked the concept of Aran’gar as another errant force like Slayer that no one really knows about, but as people have mentioned not inherently necessary for the story.