Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m going almost done with ToM now and while I like Perrin it’s taken what like 7 books for him to do something? Jesus Christ it feels like an eternity of just sitting around doing nothing. I swear you could make the whole series in 7 books or so if they cut all the boring stuff out. I know, real hot take here.

I just finished a TSR reread and he gets a great ending in that book. Saves the Two Rivers, gets declared Lord despite his protests, rides off to bang his wife to raucous cheers and applause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m going almost done with ToM now and while I like Perrin it’s taken what like 7 books for him to do something? Jesus Christ it feels like an eternity of just sitting around doing nothing. I swear you could make the whole series in 7 books or so if they cut all the boring stuff out. I know, real hot take here.

Cut out every inn where the innkeeper is described as “bustling” and you could get it down to six

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Data Graham posted:

Cut out every inn where the innkeeper is described as “bustling” and you could get it down to six

I laugh every time I read it thinking of some new character playing with overly ridiculous skirts, like the pattern refuses to let them stay in an inn without a woman needing help keeping her skirt up. (I know the intended meaning, but just imagining it as fussing with clothes fits so well with the flavor of rj’s writing.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay look the one that makes Siuan show certain things was amazing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Having watched Gone Girl a second time, Pike is gonna be incredible. She does that cold-blooded stare so well, and is fantastic at putting a hint of a threat behind otherwise benign words

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So balefire. It's been a long while since I did a thorough reread of the later books, but I remember a theory at one point suggesting that the bubbles of evil and the weird town where people couldn't die weren't actually the Dark One's touch but were the result of balefire. Was there anything to that theory or did balefire have some other affect in the books that I can't remember?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

No, those were just the Dark One's touch causing the fabric of the world to warp in strange ways.

The other effect of balefire is that it it unweaves threads from the pattern, and the pattern can only be woven and unwoven so many times, so if you use balefire too much reality starts to literally come apart at the seams. which is why in the Last battle when balefiire gets tossed around like candy at Halloween, there are literal cracks in the ground leading to an unending black void.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you’re reading on kindle you can see the sentences people highlight the most and it’s always some cheesy rear end line you would hear in a self help seminar.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

If you’re reading on kindle you can see the sentences people highlight the most and it’s always some cheesy rear end line you would hear in a self help seminar.

That's basically all Kindle books.

Though, to be fair, that's how sentiments get to be trite.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I have to find out where they moved that drat setting every time the app updates or I replace my reading device, so I can turn it off again. So distracting!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

So balefire. It's been a long while since I did a thorough reread of the later books, but I remember a theory at one point suggesting that the bubbles of evil and the weird town where people couldn't die weren't actually the Dark One's touch but were the result of balefire. Was there anything to that theory or did balefire have some other affect in the books that I can't remember?

it's also implied that during Rand's crazy reality bending fight with the dark one he sets a few off too

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Atlas Hugged posted:

So balefire.

One thing about balefire which I learned from author comments, since there was a common fan interpretation (which I held) that made it seem more of a problem than he intended it to be:

The Dark One cannot resurrect someone who has been killed by balefire. One interpretation of this, along with the fear that everyone displays about using it, threat to the pattern, etc., is that threads touched by balefire have been straight-up eliminated. Those killed by balefire are never reborn and the pattern is forever lessened. This is not what RJ intended, and his explanation of it was that the Dark One, when grasping someone to force their reincarnation, takes hold in something like the instant after death. But since balefire kills you ten minutes ago, you're already dead, gone, and past the Dark One's grasp once you're hit with it.

So what I'm saying is, here's yet another advantage of using balefire.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean, does Rand free his mom, or whatever the gently caress happened at the end of the first book, with the stuff? I forget/couldn't tell.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah it's obvious that there's a certain "conservation of souls" logic going on, like a Law of Soulsmodynamics. If souls are the threads that are woven into these patterns in the tapestry and each soul is a single thread, it basically has to be the case that the spools can neither be created nor destroyed.

e: like, when we were told to understand that all the wolf souls were being destroyed by Slayer, but instead they were only being sent back further to some kind of wolfhalla to come back with the Heroes

silvergoose posted:

I mean, does Rand free his mom, or whatever the gently caress happened at the end of the first book, with the stuff? I forget/couldn't tell.

It's probably only dreaming, tbqh.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 16, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah it's obvious that there's a certain "conservation of souls" logic going on, like a Law of Soulsmodynamics. If souls are the threads that are woven into these patterns in the tapestry and each soul is a single thread, it basically has to be the case that the spools can neither be created nor destroyed.

e: like, when we were told to understand that all the wolf souls were being destroyed by Slayer, but instead they were only being sent back to some kind of further wolfhalla to come back with the Heroes

It's probably only dreaming, tbqh.

That conservation of souls reminds me of the lovely author Piers Anthony's incarnations of immortality series, the third one about the fates.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Your edit though, no, those wolves are summoned directly from the world of dreams, so explicitly the ones he didn't get

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Uh I thought the dream was Valhalla. Killed from the dream is more permanent then balefjre apparently. The summoning i don't recall was explicitly hopper or otherwise known souls

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's a bit muddied though, since Birgitte is dragged from the dream and killed irl, then comes back as a hero. The heroes make mention that if they get badly hosed up they have to go rest, so maybe it's that?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I always thought she was sorta a gotcha. Im a hero but moral so the latter rules. The loss of memories supports.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I just want to express strong appreciation for 'wolfhalla'. That is all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vavrek posted:

I just want to express strong appreciation for 'wolfhalla'. That is all.

Still laughing about it hours later ngl

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Ok thanks for the clarification. I had forgotten that little detail about the Last Battle.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ok got to the Thom and Moiraine relationship reveal and let me just say: What the gently caress ever Jordan/Sanderson.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ok got to the Thom and Moiraine relationship reveal and let me just say: What the gently caress ever Jordan/Sanderson.

Wait what's wrong with it, and what was surprising about it? Unless you're talking the very strong hints in the first few books. No, you said Sanderson...

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

It's actually nicely foreshadowed back in The Shadow Rising and The Fires of Heaven.

fake edit: Uh, note for those reading the series for the first time. While I'm quoting from books 4 and 5, these are effectively spoilers for a surprise at the end of Towers of Midnight, book 13. (I think?)

In TSR:
“Have you ever been in love, Moiraine?”

What a startling question. Elayne could not imagine the Aes Sedai in love. Moiraine was Blue Ajah, and it was said Blue sisters gave all their passions to causes.

The slender woman was not at all taken aback. For a long moment she looked levelly at the pair of them, each with an arm around the other. Finally she said, “I could wager I know the face of the man I will marry better than either of you knows that of your future husband.”

Egwene gaped in surprise.

“Who?” Elayne gasped.

The Aes Sedai appeared regretful of having spoken. “Perhaps I only meant we share an ignorance. Do not read too much into a few words.” She looked at Nynaeve consideringly. “Should I ever choose a man—should, I say—it will not be Lan. That much I will say.”

This one is kind of dubious but the Kuleshov effect made me think it was involved when listening to the book:
Thom seemed to vanish by sleight of hand; Mat had no idea what occupied the gleeman, but he was seldom to be found, day or night. Moiraine,

Moiraine to Thom, getting him to go with Elayne and Nynaeve:
"And I will see you again. You will survive Tarabon."

Why exactly does she know this so well that she can speak it as plain truth? What did Moiraine ask the aelfinn?

Then, in The Fires of Heaven, after bodychecking Lanfear in what remains my favorite example of dealing with a Forsaken, who is her second letter for? Thom.

I think it's even called out by her at the time of the proper reveal. Sometimes things develop behind the scenes and your focus wasn't on them, and so they come as a surprise even if they were long in the coming.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Those are such small hints they might as well be the outrigger in Lost. Even Mat is our surrogate and is like what the gently caress?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Uh I thought the dream was Valhalla. Killed from the dream is more permanent then balefjre apparently. The summoning i don't recall was explicitly hopper or otherwise known souls

Yeah, I had assumed that killed in the Dream was final death, permanently, which is what *really* pissed me off, motherfucker killed Hopper twice, what the gently caress

What's the argument that Hopper isn't permanently dead i need this

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hard same. Never made any sense to me. Completely falls flat.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

silvergoose posted:

Wait what's wrong with it, and what was surprising about it? Unless you're talking the very strong hints in the first few books. No, you said Sanderson...

It feels extremely forced even if it is a nice :unsmith: moment. I guess we're supposed to see it as really romantic that Thom gets over his hatred of Aes Sedai and Moiraine connects to another human being without manipulation or detachment but there's the barest minimum of set up for it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I caught it. Seemed fine to me.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I caught it. Seemed fine to me.

I didn't catch it on the first time through but on a reread it's definitely there.

In addition to the quotes given, Thom is constantly asking after where Moiraine is, what she's doing, if she's safe. At the time you can assume it's just because he hates Aes Sedai, but the context definitely shows personal concern for her specifically and he doesn't do it for any of the other Aes Sedai

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DarkHorse posted:

I didn't catch it on the first time through but on a reread it's definitely there.

In addition to the quotes given, Thom is constantly asking after where Moiraine is, what she's doing, if she's safe. At the time you can assume it's just because he hates Aes Sedai, but the context definitely shows personal concern for her specifically and he doesn't do it for any of the other Aes Sedai

Also, they clearly *respect* each other from the very start.

Often in the way you respect a rattlesnake but still

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sorry, he didn’t earn that reveal. Specially when his idea of foreshadowing is when every prophecy mentioned comes true. Bout as subtle as a brick to the face.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

I’m sorry, he didn’t earn that reveal. Specially when his idea of foreshadowing is when every prophecy mentioned comes true. Bout as subtle as a brick to the face.

Earned in the sense that anything else in the books is earned, then?

Also there's a difference between prophecy and foreshadowing. Prophecy is flat out telling you something will happen (even if not exactly in the way you would have understood it), and is diegetic. Foreshadowing is just leaving little hints here and there about things, often times in only ways only the reader will understand.

For example, "I would sooner cut off an arm than to hurt you" is foreshadowing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 17, 2020

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I had assumed that killed in the Dream was final death, permanently, which is what *really* pissed me off, motherfucker killed Hopper twice, what the gently caress

What's the argument that Hopper isn't permanently dead i need this

Basically an offshoot of the idea that final death is in-universe a flawed understanding of the metaphysics of the setting since logically there is no final death in the wheel or the pattern unless the Dark One breaks the wheel (in which case all bets are off).

I call it the Theory of the Conservation of Souls, souls are neither created nor destroyed. The pattern is how the soul experiences things and the pattern can be damaged or the soul removed from the pattern, or captured by the Dark One, but that is always temporary. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that a soul can be forever removed from the wheel and the pattern besides what characters claim happen, in-universe, and the only people who might know better, the Heroes of the Horn, dont appear to believe in anything like that while in their dream selves.

If it is so for people who die and go to the dream, why not then for the wolves who are apparently equally special?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You'll probably find on a reread that it's more obvious. I certainly did. It's written in such a way that it's just hinted at because, bluntly, it's none of the main character's business, and all of them had bigger things to worry about anyway.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You'll probably find on a reread that it's more obvious. I certainly did. It's written in such a way that it's just hinted at because, bluntly, it's none of the main character's business, and all of them had bigger things to worry about anyway.

Yeah, there's tons of stuff setting it up, even back in the first book. Thom constantly catches himself thinking that Morraine is a pretty woman, and Morraine drops multiple hints that indicate that she has prophetic knowledge that Thom can't possibly have been killed by that Fade after talking to Min. Later on, she's equally sure that he won't die in Tarabon, There are other hints; foretellings that Thom and Mat will go into the Tower of Ghenji together ("Courage to strengthen, fire to blind, music to dazzle, iron to bind") to rescue someone, who could it possibly be? etc.

Also, frankly, ““I could wager I know the face of the man I will marry better than either of you knows that of your future husband....perhaps I only meant we share an ignorance. Do not read too much into a few words.” is the single most obviously weasel-wordy Aes Sedai thing Morraine in the entire series, which is a dead giveaway.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it was very definitely built up to over the course of the series, this poo poo wasn't out of nowhere.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It just isn't front and centre, because it isn't that important to the main characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
it's also subtle because the characters involved are elegant and sophisticated courtiers and not thirsty teenagers