Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I thought rand was gonna seal the D.O. but Padan Fain would survive. I still think that might have been the originally intended ending.

Yeah that's definitely what I was expecting, and fits with a lot of the Daoist symbology that was being used (I.e. the ancient symbol of the Aes Sedai, the Dragon's Fang and the Flame of Tar Valon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

RC Cola posted:

Major spoilers for the wheel of time.
Mentors Rand and Mat, sacrifice to eyeless helps motivate Rand. Teaches Matt and Rand gleeman stuff that they use, kills king of Cairhein, goes with Matt to rescue the super girls, goes with super girls to Tanchico, saves girls from forkroot. Is Elyane's father figure and helps her character growth move on from spoiled brat. Goes to Ebou Dar and helps Mat escape after the Seanchan show up. He is the one everyone assumes is the great general which i always find hilarious. He saves Moiraine, he protects Moiraine/Nynaeve/Rand during the last battle.

He is too good of a character to get rid of imo.

There's some fuckery with Elaida and while Morgase is getting mindfucked by one of the Forsaken too, right? I know Thom and Morgase having a history is a big part of the story at times

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Yeah. I think Jordan acknowledged that and said he wanted the opening sequence to feel familiar to fantasy readers.

I think the Prologue saves it. It lets you know this thing is going places Tolkien didn't.

He explicitly wanted to copy it from what I remember. Like his goal was to do "Tolkien, but women are in power" and see what was different.

Turns out making Gandalf into a woman doesn't change the Fellowship much :shrug:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah I think a lot of his problems would have been resolved by a more impartial editor. The first three books are tightly plotted and written. The middle really needs someone willing to cut out the fat

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

What threat do "Christian fundamentalists" pose there?

*gestures vaguely at, well, everything*

We're about one court case away from losing abortion rights, there have already been rulings protecting homophobia and transphobia, several sects have been implicated in covering up pedophilia and using the shelter of the cloth to avoid investigations, and many churches are now openly using themselves as political action centers despite their tax exempt status

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Spek posted:

That was the Battle of Dumai's Wells in Lord of Chaos, Book6. I very much doubt the series will last that long honestly but it'd be pretty awesome to see if it does.

Anyone have any thoughts on what they'll do regarding the ageless look of Aes Sedai? It seems like it'd be pretty difficult to accomplish with as many women as they'd need to so I expect they'll just drop it but I do wonder if they'll replace it with some other visual cue. As characters being able to identify an Aes Sedai on sight is often very important.

Honestly a bit of CGI might be the way to do it. Bonus being even if it's not a great effect it's still an identifier. Just de-age older actors and maybe add a little to younger ones

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It's actually pretty loving funny that RJ managed to plot these things all together for Perrin to take care of at once:

Shaido
Masema
"Maighdin"
Working with the Corenne as a partner/ally instead of as a subject nation

DIRECTLY following which he:

Resolves his wolfbrother issues
Forges his hammer
Takes over the Children of the Light

Now that you put it like that, it makes me think it was all deliberate and it just never came across like RJ intended. Perrin was always the slow, methodical one, that people mistook as stupid, And if I remember right his internal monologue was that he compared his problems to a blacksmith's puzzle: lots of moving parts that seemed impossible, and then you find the trick that solves everything simultaneously.

Like, it's agonizingly slow and tedious reading through it, but i can see how from the outside people underestimate him and think he's stumbling but then solves five or more problems with a single blow, so then they think he's a genius at Daes Dae Mar

With a bit more editing that could come through more obviously, and been brilliant writing. It also mirrors how Mat just kind of chaos-dunks his way through life, putting no planning into things but still doing the right (and moral) thing anyway

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

i'm expecting Mashadar and the Black Wind to be mashed together

Yeah, that's definitely something that could get smooshed into a single entity. Shadar Logoth with mashadar, and then have the Entrance to the Ways be how they escape it only for it to follow/find them there

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

seaborgium posted:

It always bugged me though, I've never seen anyone do that in real life. Pulling your hair must hurt like a motherfucker, and she does it constantly.

I'm just hoping for a background tapestry that looks suspiciously like that gif of the entire plot of WoT, with Nynaeve and Egwene tugging braids and smoothing dresses, then Rand runs by in the background with his hair on fire and Mat runs by screaming about dice. Give away the whole plot in the first episode or two just for shits and giggles.

I read it more as stroking, like playing with her hair more than as a yanking motion

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, even with characters like Hasima, who are literally transgender, since it's the male Forsaken Bel'al(? that, or Aginor) dumped into a woman's body, and the narration was basically that his debauched tastes hadn't changed, just grown with the new body

It was an advance of the state of the art at the time, and it's also 30 years old so it's got a lot of rough bits.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That was more how I read it, yeah. It was mentioned Lanfear was thirsty for power at all costs, so I can see that being her motivation above all else.

As for the gender stuff, well, RJ fought in Nam, he was a product of his time. The points raised are interesting enough, but to be honest I dont see his views costing the show any significant amount of viewers. Now if Rand gets shown to be THE ONE MAN WHO KNOWS ALL AND PROVES ALL WOMEN WRONG, welp.

Yeah, one of the things about Mierin was that she was super ambitious, but still never managed a third name and lost Lews Therin's love because he suspected she didn't love him, just the prestige of being with him. There's also the stuff about her wanting to overthrow the Creator AND the Dark One.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Basileus777 posted:

Even Demandred loses with an overwhelming advantage because he's an idiot who thinks only someone from his own age could match him and that Rand must be pretending to be Mat.

Yeah Demandred clearly thought only Lews Therin could compete with him as a general and that Lews' pride would prevent him from letting anyone else lead, completely ignoring that Rand wasn't Lews Therin.

He couldn't even conceive of a world where he'd just get completely ignored by him, it was great

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

RC Cola posted:

I read it as LTT giving them honors, but more of a "here is the second place Nobel Peace Prize. I would give you the first but I already won it. But you still did pretty good champ."

Yeah you can give accolades and still be poo poo at it, where the award is essentially an insult

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

In the same way that Mat is Odin and Perrin is Thor, yeah

Or whoever the parallels are with, it's been a while

That's them. Rand has parallels with Tyr too I think. And then of course there's the parallels with Arthurian legend.

Part of why Wheel of Time feels so rich is because so much real world stuff is layered on them. It's not a simple 1:1, there's overlap between characters, cultures, and stories.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ChubbyChecker posted:

Are there any other parallels with Tyr than the lost hand?

Mostly the hero/ sacrifice bit and dying at Ragnarok

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Democratic Pirate posted:

Willem Defoe needs to be a scene chewer

A good Ishamael candidate imo

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Yeah, that's the key to Mat's character, that I'm not sure Sanderson ever fully picked up on. Mat doesn't want to be responsible but when the chips are down he is.

The scenes in Book 5 or so where Mat starts leading the Band during the Seige of Cairhien are some of the best in the book for exactly that reason. It's the Prince Hal fantasy.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

In fairness to Sanderson, Mat was transitioning to doing his unbeatable TV luck + old general knowledge combo on purpose all throughout book 11, which is the last one RJ did alone. I do agree that Sanderson didn't really seem to get Mat, but I think trying to write him at the the tail end of this long-time-coming genuine character development was a big ask.

Where Sanderson did do well was Talmanes. He loving called it with how he basically called Mat out. He was constantly lying to himself about who he was, not wanting to be an authority or responsible one.

But earlier there was the thing where Mat wins a battle just because he was trying to keep his soldiers from getting killed, where an actually irresponsible fellow would have just slunk away.

Jordan did a good job with unreliable narrators. See also Rand and his madness, Elayne and her snobbishness, and Elaida and her... everything.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

Tam shoulda been tagalong to Rand, how does he manage to be Perrins surrogate father instead? Kinda a weird choice but definitely not one that I would have thought of unless he’s around a lot more in later books I haven’t gotten to.

Rand losing all his surrogate parents and getting completely untethered is part of his character arc though.

It was also Rand's conscious decision to cut all ties to his home as his way of protecting them. He knew if he showed attachment to the Two Rivers that would be used against him (and they would suffer for it) so he pretended he didn't give a poo poo (while quietly asking Perrin to look after it). He loved his home so much that the only thing he could do was pretend it meant nothing.

Tam is the perfect intersection between Rand and Perrin for that to play out

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

How are u posted:

Now that's a sexy Thom.

oops for the new page

Yeah, I can buy that guy as Thom if he can sport the big ol mustaches

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

RJ had already confirmed that at least Moiraine got her three wishes, so fans speculated that Lanfear might have gotten hers, too. And used one to kill Asmodean. Some even thought Moiraine might have used one of hers to off him.

Did they ever say what moiraines wishes were?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SerSpook posted:

and now we discuss how to sheathe the sword

Well how else is your kid gonna be a diademed battle lord of the malkieri? :colbert:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

Did he ever say that or is it just all y'all guessing?

I believe some original drafts showed Taim being Demandred, and there might be a comment someone heard about RJ being salty that it was guessed so soon

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Galad = goody good that turns out to actually be good

Gawyn = supposedly good but a moran

Galahad was the super good guy in Arthurian legend who eventually got the Holy Grail. He was the son of Lancelot from an affair he had with a woman who seriously loved him and died when he didn't return it.

Gawain was a knight of the round table but a bit rough and a braggart. One of the stories is how he agreed to a challenge where he got to deal the first blow as long as he let the challenger do the same in one year's time. Gawain chops the guys head off :smuggo: only for him to pick it up and tell him to meet him in a year. :stonk:

In T.H. White's Once and Future King, everybody hated Galahad because he was such a goody two shoes and a pain in the rear end to be around, while Gawain was the crazy brawling drunken uncle but everyone liked him because he was fun to be around (just don't get him mad because he would straight up try to kill you)

It's a great read on Arthurian legend, it's also funny how people keep dunking on Arthur because they don't understand what he's trying to accomplish

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

Wait, Gawyn isn't pronounced Ga-wain? Which would rhyme with Dwayne?

*checks glossary*

gently caress. I've been pronouncing this wrong for like twenty drat years.

:same:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Naw, it was perfectly in character for Emonds Field. They flipped straight from “We don’t need a Lord” to “gently caress your filthy foreign lord, we got our own Lord and he’s the lordiest Lord that ever lorded. He wears a crown and eats off doilies and poo poo!”

“but I don’t want to eat off doilies “

“gently caress you, sir, You will eat off doilies and love it, your majesty!”

I’ve known tons of country people like that. It’s all very Granny Weatherwax.

There's definitely a bit of headology going on in that whole situation :unsmith:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Duh, everyone knows that silk grows on trees :rolleye:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Dark One reached through the hole in his prison and told Elan Morin: "All you can eat lobster on Tuesdays, forever"

"Are you a lobster?"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

LANA ILYENA!!

danger zone

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Johnny Joestar posted:

something about the aiel in general has always been great to me and i don't know how exactly robert jordan pulled it off where most other series try to do something similar and either have it come off as awful at worst in some way or another but only boring and plodding at best

I was just thinking the same thing. The line with Perrin and breakfast being a mighty victory, and "aiel humor" being weird but, over time, you start to get and see it as funny... I don't know how you do that.

Jordan was amazing at making different cultures feel distinct without being tedious, and making unreliable narrators seem so sincere and believable that you don't even notice Rand being crazy, or Perrin being a leader, or Mat being a good person and general.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah that's one of the cases where Jordan's ability to make different cultures and mindsets fell down hard. Like it makes sense now that it was a culture clash of "never ever hurt a woman" and "only words said in violence can be trusted" and it was a comedy of errors between them, but it was so poorly executed (much like Winter's Heart in general)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

bloom posted:

I'm curious to see how they'll do grey men in the show. I always liked the way they were casually written into background descriptions in the books, it'll be interesting to see how they adapt that on screen.

It'd be pretty neat if they're just always a little out of the preferred focal plane. They're just blurry all the time because you just naturally don't focus on them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

RC Cola posted:

Yeah. Males heal females fully and vice versa

I think they describe it as "the left hand healing the right, versus the right healing the right" or something like that. Makes sense that you can't fix it with what was damaged in the first place, and with needing saidar to cleanse saidin.

The theme has always been cooperation is stronger than individual effort

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

rndmnmbr posted:

See, none of what I said was bullshit. Hell, it's barely exaggerated. Mat does have the knowledge of at least hundreds of Great Generals crammed in his brain, and has become a Great General himself. He did command the most public part of the Last Battle while Rand was otherwise occupied. He does crush his enemies with smoke and fire (the dragons). His exceptional luck is his stated superpower. He did technically steal Tuon, he did technically capture his own damane, he did technically blow the Horn. He has a rather obvious strangulation mark from where he was hanged, but he's still very much alive. There were questions asked about his status as one of the heroes of the Horn, and he did politely request Hawkwing to have a chat with Tuon. It does not take much for a few misinformed soldiers to jumble up some causes and effects and get some wild rumors.

He also had that ruby hilted dagger he stole from Mordeth, and it's believable to me that elements of that story get garbled and mixed in with all the other unbelievable stuff he does

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Brolander posted:

yeah honestly it's probably this. not SUPER GRAND EPIC but very satisfying, everyone loves seeing rich kids lose. Mat is still only like halfway recovered during this too, if that. because of this scene it's also my belief that quarterstaff>swords

You're not far wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afqhBODc_8U

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Huh. Never occurred to me.

Also nominate your favourite series moments

Mine has to be Rand yelling at clouds after that one dude catches fire

There's too many to pick, but I'm rereading The Great Hunt and Rand saying literally the worst things to piss off Selene i.e. asking Mierin, who turned to the Shadow and choosing to become Lanfear when she was passed over for Aes Sedai and the Third Name asking over and over if she's actually Aes Sedai is hilarious.

Also him being so prudish and stubborn he resists her attempts to manipulate him with weaves

Drone Jett posted:

Nynaeve dropping Lan at the wrong end of the Borderlands.

But this is probably it, along with her making him promise to accept everyone that wanted to come along

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Let's not forget how everything involving Hinderstap was

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sang real = old French for the Holy Grail

Slight correction, sang real is "royal blood", san greal is "holy grail" or sacred cup

So an'greal and san'greal are definitely going after those references

Tar Valon is Avalon, and then Arthur/Uther Paendrag

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Glumslinger posted:

"I tell you hwat, that prince of the ravens ain't right"

"Saidar burns with a clean, white flame. Not dirty like that Saidin, or that bastard weave of True Power"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

One of my favorite scenes in The Eye of the World. First we learn that Tam isn't Rand's biological father, setting up the reveal of his birth on Dragonmount. But it also gives a really early introduction to the Aiel, and it makes much more sense (and is more awesome) on a reread.

Also it basically spells out that the Aiel have Avendesora:

Rand to Loial when they meet in Caemlyn:

Rand and the Green Man:

Just started a reread and all this stuff is so satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Just finished Great Hunt, and I think much like Moiraine tracking people she'd healed, Jordan ended up dropping Rand's taveren senses. I forgot at Falme he could actually feel people and feel he needed them (and they needed him)

I know it reappears but generally it's in a lesser format, if I remember right, and more of the other boys feeling him tug them