Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

Should the White Tower have been written as incompetent as it was? When I first started the books it was a neat idea, a tower of mysterious lady wizards manipulating the world. It turning out to be a bumbling fiasco when we got more acquainted with it was kind of a let down.

Catching up with the thread and reading the last couple of pages I'm struck at the similarity of the Tower's faults and the morass, cruelty, and incompetence of any elite political institution, most especially the one centered around D.C. (pre Trump of course).

Just a bunch of ppl who walk on air separated from everybody always getting things wrong to no apparent effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I was thinking more the consulting class, the wealthy failson and daughters that populate every campaign and think tank. Live in million dollar townhouses they own in Georgetown while pontificating about that lower class America really needs to start within their means.

Just a combination of obliviousness/somewhat good intentions/ineptitude/and arrogance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Forsaken have at least 3 dudes that can't get Rand out of their mind.

e: like a republican being obsessed with AOC

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Torrannor posted:

That's the first I heard of this. Looking it up, these fact came to light in 2014, long after I last read the books. And long after Robert Jordan died. So I'm sad to learn of this, but it has obviously no impact on my question.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure about that taint. It's not like MBZ is alive to profit from any money somebody paid for any of her books now.

at least things have improved for victims

quote:

She hailed the "outpouring of love and support" which has followed her revelations. "What has happened in the past 20 years, apparently, is that rape, child abuse and incest have been enough in the public eye for them to be accepted, and victims and survivors to routinely be believed now, and there are so many survivors among my mother's fans, as well as supporters of survivors and decent people who care about the truth that my mother is now being held to the very standards she wrote about," her email continued.

A little ray of hope in the current hell times.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jordan never got the chance to edit his own stuff. Shame, nothings ever good before an edit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

While her appearance is pretty good, im gonna need to see a hard stare and a dressing down before I can get on board the Sophie train.
Can anyone help me out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viedYUe85E0

starts around the 1 minute mark

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lets be honest Robert Jordan was a horndog, but in a very old timey awooga-ing at women displaying their ankles way

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I only had Book 5 for the longest time when I was 11. I read that thing like 3 times before going onto Lord of Chaos.

I really really loved it, but man oh man did my imagination fill in the spaces. Like I thiught Rand fought God in Heaven in the earlier books lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Perrin tried to keep Rand's kidnapping a secret, but he was not that successful. Everybody in Cairhien knew what was up when the Dragon Reborn vanished, the Aes Sedai left, and then Rand's childhood buddy, his Ogier friend, his biggest supporter among the Cairhienin nobility, plus an Aiel clan chief with a host of Aiel suddenly left the city as well. It's why Colavere was able to get herself crowned queen after all, and as Dobraine noticed, she didn't waste much time after Perrin and co. went away. And the Aes Sedai in fact encouraged Colavere to take the crown, and definitely whispered to other Caerhienin nobles about Rand "not being a problem anymore", or something like that, which helped Colavere getting the critical mass of support (or at least not opposition) to make her queen. Even the politically not that savvy Aiel figured out what was up, with the Bleakness returning in force to claim a lot of them, and the clan chiefs either speaking of returning to the Three-Fold Land, or staging an assault on the White Tower to free Rand. And we know Taim had his eyes and ears in Caemlyn, keeping tabs on what's happening there, so it's quite reasonable to assume he had some in Caerhien as well, given that Rand spent basically all his time in one of those two cities. As others have said, he had his channeler detection squads already use traveling to scout, it wouldn't be that hard to follow Perrin's trail and find out where Rand was. And the Pattern likely encouraged those efforts, since it went to the extreme lengths to prod Perrin into leaving the Two Rivers to be by Rand's side already.

And of course there's the possibility that Taim got this info through his darfriend connections as well. The more interesting question is why he would decide to free Rand in the first place. Fear of losing his protection, of Rand's amnesty for male channelers becoming invalid? A desire to take some revenge on the Aes Sedai who captured him? Perhaps he wanted to take this opportunity to take the White Tower down a peg, he probably saw it as long term the only real rival to "his" Black Tower, and giving them a bloody nose this early could only help tilt the scales in the Black Tower's favor. I kinda don't think the Shadow itself wanted Rand's kidnapping stopped, it was after all organized by one of the Forsaken. That does not necessarily mean that the Dark One wouldn't undermine one of his Chosen in their plots, as he gave Semirhage the order to send some Trollocs to Tear to fight those sent by Sammael to kill Rand, as the Shadow very much does not want Rand dead at this point. But Rand being under the control of the Black Ajah was imho far less dangerous, since even the Reds acknowledged that the Dragon Reborn mustn't die before the Last Battle. They probably could have arranged for Rand to be forcibly turned to the Shadow, through the 13+13 trick. But maybe this wouldn't have helped the Dark One? The series ending is a bit ambiguous about that all. Or perhaps the Shadow figured that the important damage had already been done, seeing what it did to Rand's psyche.

this made me read up this recap because I plum forgot about Colavere, and gently caress its making me want to re-read the series, its such a good scene: https://www.tor.com/2009/12/18/the-wheel-of-time-re-read-a-crown-of-swords-part-4/

there really isn't anything out there on that level of cathartic fantasy politicking

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Am I remembering wrong, but didn't Elaida not even intend on finding black sisters, but just sisters she hated and the hunt was actually a miscommunication?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Same. Like a creepy tall dude, that then turns around and has no orbital sockets

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress Aran'gar is problematic. Scheming new lady using her sexy wiles to trick people. It's hosed up!

I'm gonna go read The Left Hand of Darkness again.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think ppl are going the wrong way in regards to thinking about which Forsaken would be cut for time. You can keep all of the them in here, but the stories around them will be cut for time.

Like blasting Belal takes a moment, his buildup is a natural way to build up the plot of an episode. TV shows are starved for natural one and done antagonists, and the Forsaken are perfect for that, bubbling up in random eps to exude menace and exchange banter to eat up mins when something that actually needs alot of direction gets delayed.

That's what was responsible for alot of the banter scenes in GOT, because that shot is extremely easy and cheap to shoot.

What is problematic is how much of the actual protagonists arcs are gonna gave to be sheared off. Alot I'd guess. And there's other stuff, the problematic gender essentials, how much money the production design is gonna get, the background and exp of the exec producers and writers, and how the hell do they make magic interesting on the screen, something that has never really been successfully cracked, tho Dr Strange got alot of the way there

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Libluini posted:

Nah, the attack was planned because of this, but the empress wasn't sure about the risks until good old Rand scared her to death when he went Nega-Taveren that one time

Only after that incident did she give the go-ahead, thinking peace was now impossible

It's been a while since I read it, nega Taverning is Rand beating the Seanchan in combat while also blowing up his own people?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nah that reads as an open bi marriage potentially receptive to a polycule with sub implications

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've rread these books multiple times and you cant argue that Jordan doesnt rely on stock women with roller pin type stereotypes to pad some of his comedic scenes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

there is presumably a level at which everyone would agree you are a blademaster, otherwise the alternative method of becoming a blademaster doesnt make sense.

Its all a bit silly. Being good at anything is never as clean cut as being designated a class in DnD.

Professional basketball players can be beat if they're having a bad day and they're facing somone young and athletic.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good point, the three women thing would work a lot better, if it works at all, with the women being into each other and then letting in Rand, or whatever. Still a man's fantasy but a little more easier to swallow

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lebanese civil war lasted in its mosr brutal phase for a decade and that was plenty of time to create child soldiers. Wars in West Africa took a lot shorter. War fucks things up incredibly quick

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I move Mat Rand and Perrin around my dinner table and I keep pushing them together

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rand, now with women name's muttering action

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

calandryll posted:

I wonder if they'll show what easing the badger is.

Honestly always thought it was just a fancy way of describing getting your junk out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol im reading one of the interviews with those clowns

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188190209583800326

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188191274773426176

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188193290295885824

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188194068116979713

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188195843159015424

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188198257207468033

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188198873195601920

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188199326150995968

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

From facebook looks like theres alot of ppl excited by the WoT TV show. I think its gonna get alot of eyeballs

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Seems alittle young and waifish for Brigitte

when i think of Brigitte I think of Brigitte Nielssen lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rand's New Groove is what I thought when I saw that

The ultimate canon picture of Mat is the one found on the kindle version tho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Libluini posted:

as an Atheist, I chose to believe it means no-one is actually baptized and 100% of all Christians will end up in Hell

and as a satanist, we don't want these hokey a-holes in here, get them out

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Love the use of real life locations.

Emailing ppl I lost track with years ago to share this teaser who used to read this poo poo with me as kids. Lol, its bringing ppl together.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

silvergoose posted:

I have no idea what the difference between ya fiction and giant fantasy series is, can you elaborate?

Interesting question, esp since they usually star kids in the outset

I'd say the amount of lore but most importantly, shifts in perspective. YA runs on protagonist identification, and breaking the ficus of the usually purpiseful bkand central character destroys that illusion

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Interesting. Does YA tend towards first person perspectives, few if any different POV switches, that sort of thing? Thanks for answering!

Id say so, yeah. Its why Id consider something like The Hazelwood YA instead of straight fantasy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's no hard and fast rule, fantasy and young adult and half a dozen other genres bleed into each other. Like how old is Pug in Rift Wars in the first book? Tropes are a good sign post, and a narrowing of perspective, love interest, staying in the head of the protagonist versus lore...I dunno, its why I tended to read fantasy rather than YA as a kid. Maybe I'm not the best judge of it then.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anias posted:

Please stop using the internet. Entirely. Do something else. Your online persona is atrocious and this is actively bad for you.

The books go on and on about consent. It’s literally hundreds of pages.

Its some of the worse tendencies found in the politics forums bleeding in.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lord of Chaos is Rand tho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

God its so funny, and so badass. That never happens.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lord Awkward posted:

Mat gets on his horse to leave, and then condense his entire Escape From Cairhien heroic victory to a few minutes at 8x speed and overlaid with him continuously cursing oh no oh bloody ashes oh flaming light.

Hard stop with him sitting at the fire looking dazed with everyone cheering and Couladin's head on the pole.

but this is probably best

lolling at it being like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yNlAHXVzQ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

It's kind of hard to blame the Aes Sedai for being ineffectual as an institution when they were so hopelessly compromised by Darkfriends.

Aes Sedai were def a pointed critique of powerful bureaucracies tho. It was one of the best things about the seris. The fact that the Aes Sedai literally bound themselves by magic to not lie, and everyone els being weirded out that theres a group of powerful wizards weird enough to do that

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think the other view is right. It seperated thems from average ppl. They literally live in a marble tower

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LegoMan posted:

totally an expression that exists

Seems like everyone in Randland is suffering from methadone/colloidal silver poisoning, the Dark One getting real

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

seaborgium posted:

I always assumed that was the Pattern forcing the knowledge needed to get to the next age back in. Sometimes people have weird ideas and try them out and they work in real life, so I just figured there's no reason channeling would be different.

It'd be a lot cooler if progress was written a little more realistically, based on collaboration and general societal developments and advances. But then again ppl shooting fire and shepherds being kings, I guess that's a little too much here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TheFluff posted:

While complex systems are appealing to nerds, I honestly think rationalizing magic too much takes away from the narrative. It's magic, it doesn't have to make sense. If you lean too heavily into the rules approach you end up with poo poo like DBZ power levels, and if you go even further you finally you end up in the ninth circle of hell - the LitRPG.

Maybe this is revealing me as a hyper nerd but I love it when writers go into the weeds regarding magic poo poo. Saying boom this is magic I find uninteresting.

It having rules, structures, hacks, or even better, a thematic expression of what the book is trying to express, ala Earthsea, is def my poo poo.

Hell a somewhat mediocre series that builds itself on an inventive and interesting expression of the harsh world its depicting, like that series I can't remember where magic users directly get their advanced abilities from tattooing and maiming others they collect so that other magic users won't kill them and make them impotent, makes them interesting in turn

E: it's loving Runelords

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 18, 2021