Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I don't think channeling being locked into binary genders is actually reflective of the real working the WoT cosmology. Whether channeling is even possible doesn't seem to be fixed across different ages, and there's indications that it's essentially a crutch when dreaming, completely meaningless in the face of someone that can control the dream. None of that sounds like it's actually a fundamental metaphysical force, or if it is its definitely subordinate to other powers, like how Rand lights his pipe in the end by staring at it with his Sharingan even though he can't channel at all any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

If we're going to get into "The First Age" business... Jesus of Nazareth is the Dragon Reborn, right?
Age numbering isn't actually fixed, though there's only one scene that shows this. Remember that the books are supposed to be constructed as a record by someone from "the fourth age" only because the narrator (presumably Lolial) says that the events occurred during "the third age" and it wouldn't make any sense given the cosmology and how history is supposed to fade from memory as ages pass for it be from any other time period.

But then we have a scene from when Rand visits one of his academies and the dude he talked to wondered out loud if people during the age of legends referred to their own timer period as "the third age". The implication is that every age is the fourth age since that's the midpoint of the wheel, if causality is cyclical there's no way to order a historical period in an absolute manner, which also mirrors why it's only "called the third age by some".

Algid fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 23, 2019

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

It failed artistically. If we take commercial success as a proper measurement, then Eragon is 10 times better than the Wizard of Earthsea.
How do you actually measure how something "failed artistically"? I mean WoT is way better than Lord of the Rings imo, but apparently some people actually like LotR for reasons I can't fathom, its commercialized products are hugely successful, and it inspired a huge quantity of works that followed after. I wouldn't say it's an artistic failure just because I personally don't like it at all.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

An artefact from bygone ages.
I can believe that a Nokia 3310 survived 2 apocalypses, the Garfield phone just keep turning up because of that lost shipping container in France making GBS threads them out with the tides.