Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've been trying get get a reread going both in anticipation of the series and because I haven't read these books since high school and fell off before the last few books came out. I vaguely remember all this awesome stuff you guys talk about happening later on but these early chapters in the two rivers are really difficult for me to get through. I don't think I want to skip ahead, but I just wanted to air this complaint to help me get over the hump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Continuing on my reread, I finally got over the hump of the first few chapters of the Eye of the World and tore through the rest of it and the Great Hunt over the course of a week. It was really cool seeing all the examples of Rand channeling without knowing it and suffering all the effects of untrained use that Moirane tells Egwene and Nynaeve about, that all completely flew over my head when I read it as a teen. Nynaeve and Lan's true love at first sight is pretty creepy, dude's way too old for her. I'm a few chapters into book 3 and I'm already getting annoyed at how stubborn and uncommunicative all the characters are, and I know that that's only going to get worse as things go along but overall I still really enjoy these books. Probably a lot of nostalgia goggles at play. The sheer amount of things I remember from later books being set up so early is amazing to see.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I was surprised by how much I liked Hurin when I was reading through the great hunt last week, all I remembered about him was the swordbreaker which was cool but the sniffer thing is a cool fantasy power and he's just such a Dude. I could definitely see a lot of his plot points being rolled into the more primary characters in a show, economy of characters is always a concern in adaptations of sprawling tales like this and I'm usually in favor of streamlining where it's possible. That said I'd love to see him in a show, the way he changes his behavior towards Rand over the course of events is a great way to get Rand from goony shepherd to crazy leader of men in a show not tell kind of way.

I didn't remember Ingtar at all but I'm kinda glad I didn't. I figured he was just obsessed with the horn, like some characters hinted happens to people, but the twist and his last stand had me legit tearing up when I read it. I'm a real sucker for that kind of story, and it was probably the highlight of the events in Falme for me this time through. The heist to get Egwene out of Seanchan hands was pretty great too. I don't know if I really got how truly detestable the Seanchan were when I was reading through as a teen, I mostly remembered them as fantasy Japanese people with southern U.S. accents. I'm now not sure that that's the accent as described in the text but I'm going to keep rolling with that understanding.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Caf posted:

I think Ingtar's obsession with finding the horn was because he saw it as his only chance at retuning to the light and finding salvation for his time as a darkfriend. Pretty sure he says something to that effect as they are fleeing Falme.

Yeah he pretty much straight up said that to Rand as he urged them to leave him behind. He was the one to let in whoever took that bow shot at Rand when he was next to the Amyrlin on their way out of Shienar. I love a good redemption tale.

I've definitely been surprised at how graphic a lot of the violence has been described. The scenes they find as they follow Fain are particularly gnarly. I first read through these first couple of books when I was 12 or 13, iirc. I was a pretty sheltered kid aside from fantasy books, so I'm kind of learning where some recurring nightmares I had came from lol. I also read the Sword of Truth novels pretty young, and those are even worse, particularly in terms of sexual violence and bad political allegory.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts concerning these books? There's a lot of them, ha. I'm resigning myself to this being my fixation for the next few months, and quarantine has me all caught up on my podcasts as well.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm getting close to halfway through the fires of heaven and it feels like pretty much every chapter so far has been either Elayne or Nynaeve and I'm starting to pull my hair out. I

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Man Elayne loving sucks

I've found myself enjoying a lot of the characters that I found boring or aggravating back when I first read this in high school, even Nynaeve. But holy moly Elayne is just the worst.

I remember really liking Gawyn but hahahahahaha he's almost as bad. How the heck did Galad end up being the cool one out of those three?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Crossroads is book ten, right? I just finished my sprint through the books so I'm a little fuzzy on which is which but I remembered liking 10 waaaay more than 9, generally, despite everyone saying 10 is the worst of the series. Maybe it's the low expectations that salvaged it for me.

Also, I found that I mostly really enjoyed Faile this time through which shocked me. Mostly I hated Perrin moping about her getting captured but even that didn't last for the three books that I vaguely remembered it taking to resolve. Low expectations saving the actual experience again, I guess.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I remember reading that it was intentionally like that, because that was the only way to get those type of fantasy novels published at the time. I don't know how true that is but it shows.

Also there's a ridiculous amount of exposition in the first book. By sticking to a familiar story structure it's a bit easier to digest all the names and histories and such that are getting thrown out.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Asmodean really knocked it out of the park by putting those tats on Couladin. The sheer amount of chaos that resulted from that relatively minor act might be the most effective action any of the Forsaken had taken up until that point.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Rand and Mat's little exchange over who had done the most impressively heroic things was probably the high point of the series for me, I wish there had been a lot more bro moments like that.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Gwaihir posted:

Gaul complimenting Perrin on his mighty victory in response to him eating a breakfast ham solo is peak Aiel.

Gaul is pure gold in general, he really stood out to me in my recent reread as just a really great dude

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

silvergoose posted:

The funny story about an aiel almost having to take his own mother in law or wife gaishain was frankly really funny and Egwene not seeing why was silly.

Two Rivers folks have a really dumb sense of humor, though, it's canon. I forget which book it was but there was one time the Aiel chided Rand for not having a sense of humor so he told them a godawful shaggy dog joke, unintentionally proving them right.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Honestly with how much time we spend in the characters heads, it might be better to just lean into it and go full Legion with psychedelic dance numbers in the mindscape. I may be alone in this, but I feel like the worst thing they could do with this show would be to tone down the weird taveren and magic stuff.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

aparmenideanmonad posted:

And while I would love for someone else to use Legion's treatment of invisible mind magic duels as inspiration, I also think it's really unlikely we'll get that. I assume it's going to be closer to Star Wars force powers, with gestures accompanying effects and no other visible signs of power, at least until they want to blow some CGI budget to show a channeler's perspective.

I've already made peace with the fact that whatever they do for channeling is never going to be as cool as what I imagine from reading, but I'm still holding out hope that it's gonna be at the least a fresh take. I might be overly optimistic.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I actually really, really enjoyed Egwene's story on my way through the series this time but holy poo poo Aes Sedai are the most useless bunch of busybodies in fantasy literature. I know that Ishamael has been subverting them for basically ever but they don't even really do anything except give the various nations a common enemy. They don't even really do anything with their magic, they just hang out in their sweet tower all day and bicker. Even Discworld wizards did more useful stuff.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

silvergoose posted:

Well, canonically he has no interest in marrying again, I don't think the text says anything specific about whether he has had any sex since.

People don't have sex without marriage in the two rivers, get outta here with your depraved taren ferry ideas

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Loveshaft posted:

I’m 20 chapters into the Eye of the World so far, and I love it. The attention to detail in the world-building is incredible. The Fades & Shadar Logoth were creepy as hell. Looking forward to finishing it in the next few days, and onto the Great Hunt! :D

Feel welcome to post impressions as you go through, I love hearing what new readers have to say about things

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I would be very, very surprised to see any tertiary characters like Hurin make anything more than a token appearance. If we were getting old school 20+ episode seasons, maybe, but if they're cramming 2 books into 10-13 episodes we'll be lucky to see many characters beyond our heroes at all. I'm pretty interested to see what a streamlined tv plot of the books is going to look like, but it's probably not going to cover anything beyond the high points. I'm cool with that, but I'm already bracing for the backlash that is going to burst out. The fact that people actually got mad about Thom playing a guitar instead of a harp does not bode well for how fans are going to handle the adaptation process.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Legion did a really good job of displaying internal issues of mental health and psychic powers, I really hope the show cribs a few notes from how they portrayed such things with how they handle Rand.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Vavrek posted:

Seriously. Someone in this thread (you?) mentioned that they could take inspiration from Legion's fight scenes and the more I thought about it the more I decided Legion should serve as a major inspiration overall.

Ha, it was me. Totally forgot I'd chipped in the same response to basically the same discussion earlier, lol. There's a wheel of time analogy in there, somewhere.

Still, that scene is 100% how the battle in the sky above Falme should look

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 18, 2021

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's an 8 volume New Spring and a 6 volume Eye of the World, but I don't think there's anything else or plans for anything else.

I've resigned myself to the show being disappointing, to one degree or another. I hope it's good, but I just don't know how a live action prestige drama can fit all of the best stuff about the series into it. That said, I'm really hoping it leads to a revival of public interest in WoT media so that we could get some cool graphic novels or animated series or something out of it.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

An assassin's creed-esque game set during the Aiel war would be super fun. Getting the chance to kill Laman would be great

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I was surprised by how relatively painless book 10 was in my recent big reread compared to my memories of it back when it came out. I remembered a lot of its content stretching on a lot longer than it actually did

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

These teasers continue to be really weak, imo. I'm not angry about the guitar or the way the dagger looks but this show is supposed to be coming out this year, right? Surely they have something more than 2 seconds of footage with vo to show off by now

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Soysaucebeast posted:

I've been reading that tumblr page that got linked here. I only read a handful of pages when it's slow at work and I'm still halfway through Knife of Dreams.

I've really enjoyed her analysis of the series, it's remarkable how she calls pretty much every twist ahead of time through breaking everything down so thoroughly. Her whole thing about dialogue tags and how they relate to identities was something I'd never really consciously noticed but is super cool in retrospect.

Also her Thing with Lan is very funny and I enjoy it greatly

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Given how few episodes a season there are, the source material is going to be more condensed than a black hole. Anyone that's expecting anything but the broadest strokes of the story to be included are just setting themselves up for disappointment, imo

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Anias posted:

Literally every single episode can end with mat kicking gawyn and galad's rear end with a quarterstaff and it will be must watch tv.

:same:

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I kinda think we missed out on an opportunity to see how destructive men who could channel who've gone insane really were. Everyone seems to be kind of terrified of them, at least until the asha'man come about. They broke the world, though that was all of them going insane over roughly the same period, and there are tales of tons of horrible things men who can channel have done.

However, we never really see that happen on screen. I think the Asha'man are really a missed opportunity for making Rand into "The Lord of Chaos".

There was that one Asha'man (Hopwil?) that went nuts when Taim's dudes attacked Rand in Cairhien. He was taking blocks out of the walls of the castle and stacking them up for fun. We only hear about it from Min after the fact, though

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Skyl3lazer posted:

Do people not look the same between reincarnations? That's the sense I got because of the heroes of the horn stuff. Why wouldn't LTT just be Rand's actor?

Nope, new life new body. LTT is specifically called out as being dark haired and different looking a couple of times when Rand's having identity crises throughout the series. It's not really clear what determines the Heroes' "default" appearance and names in t'a'r, but they also have different names and looks with each iteration.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Well yeah height and physical attractiveness are directly proportional to strength in the Power

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The Rand doll erupts into unsettling, bitter laughter every 20 minutes or so

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I reckon we'd have had a trailer a lot earlier, but the production of the show got loving wrecked by the 'rona. I'd wager the post production crew is scrambling hard to get this thing chopped and screwed together in time for November, and the relative lack of promotional material is a result of that. Shooting got shut down, what, twice? Three times? That's got to be a mess to edit together.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I always heard it was going to be Dannil Lewin, he ends up being one of Perrin's go to two rivers guys.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Joey Steel posted:

I mean, there was discussion back in the 90s that we use big nasty looking spikes to mark nuclear waste burial sites. I always assumed it was a reference to that.

I always assumed it was some kinda mega satellite dish putting out microwave radiation or something

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The important thing is that Mat's clothes are properly rumpled, and Perrin certainly comes across as a mack truck of a man. Lan looks great. I love how colorful everything is, I really hope they avoid the trap of vague grey fantasy.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

There's an awful lot of horrific violence, torture, and (mostly implied) sexual assault in the books, I've never quite understood the 'Wheel of Time is a kid friendly series' mentality. I don't want them to be as horny as game of thrones was, but a lot of these folks wanting to watch the show with their small children clearly don't have great reading comprehension

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I love that it looks super bright and colorful. That fade looked awesome. The magic doesn't look as cool as I'd like but looks better than I'd feared.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm not sold on the Aes Sedai dressing like power rangers, yet. I guess it simplifies things a lot by tying ajah into the visual language but ehhhhhh.

Otherwise I'm extremely pleased with what I'm seeing. Gonna go watch it another five times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Barreft posted:

Who's the guy in the trailer that's holding an Aes Sedai ring and crying?

He's the warder with the goofy axes, presumably his Aes Sedai dies in the confrontation with Logain