Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I picked up the first book on sale a few months ago I got to about book 8 or 9 when I was young I fell off it cause he was still writing them slowly at the time. I will say the first 5 books hold up especially the first couple but I also remember they start to slow way the hell down and sure enough I’m on book 6 and it’s already starting. There probably should be an abridged version that cuts out like a million words that don’t need to be written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She hasn’t bothered me too much in my reread so far. In general the women chapters just get less of the real good bits unlike the boys. That first books tone is fuckin wild compared to the proceeding books. It’s like a horror movie. The braid poo poo is loving awful though, I think everyone agrees there.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I got the first one on sale a few months back but none of the rest have gone on sale. Sometimes you get a google play offer or a buy 20 bucks worth get 4 dollars off next deal for kindle but it’s hard to get deals on specific things. But considering the TV show is in production I bet they’ll start throwing them on sale for hype.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the first book takes a while to get going but it’s fun when it does. I have a feeling the books have too much magic to be a good real life tv show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wait till they start releasing them before you say that. At least Wheel of Time is finished.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Has any Amazon show become a huge hit?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We’ll see, every ancillary project associated with the books has failed. Remember the couple games that were supposed to come out based on the books? Yea nobody does. The show has been in production hell forever too hasn’t it? I vaguely remember hearing rumors about it a long time ago.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t think the fireballs and stuff will be hard. I think the constant squinting with elemental magic weaving that only certain people can see will be hard.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Better be a shitload of braid pulling otherwise what the gently caress is the point?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That would be weird since she’s gone for large chunks of plot.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I get that but she’s physically not part of huge swathes of the story. Unless they just go by hearsay like they do in the books. That’s one of the things I appreciate even if it’s frustrating for me. Nobody knows poo poo unless they actually did it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Don’t kink shame.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wonder why he used it so much. You’d think an editor would be like, Hey only one or two braid pulls a book please.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I don’t see it as all that bad, most of the main powerful characters are women even if Mr Dragon himself has to save every woman cause he’s a big strong man.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Besides some of the obvious things why is it not great on a macro level? How about compared to most fantasy in general? I truly like to read about it cause I’m dense as poo poo when it comes to these things.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I never did get to the Sanderson books, I’ve heard they end pretty alright but how is actually reading them, is it jarring?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well that’s good and kind of impressive to be honest.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can a mod just imbed that into the thread title?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it’s weird, he probably needed some transition to those and the dream sequences. They just kinda happen and you have to orient yourself to going with it till he decides when to explain it. You get used to it but it’s very jarring and if it isn’t interesting to read will drag a bit.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t even remember that one specifically and I read it recently. I just know whenever I’m confused the most with his writing is when he just time travels/dream prophecies all of a sudden. It might also be cause I’m reading on kindle but there has been a couple times he switches perspectives without a break and it takes like 3 paragraphs before you can figure that out.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s weird mine still shows the other covers.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Even moraine was like don’t trust any of them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I really don’t mind any of the girls, they just have less fun stuff to do, which is a shame. Besides the obvious incessant ticks he decided to burden them with for no real reason.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m on book 6 and it’s been like three weeks or something since the events of the first book, how long does the series cover?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Tam shoulda been tagalong to Rand, how does he manage to be Perrins surrogate father instead? Kinda a weird choice but definitely not one that I would have thought of unless he’s around a lot more in later books I haven’t gotten to.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sometimes I think I care about spoilers then I remember I don’t remember poo poo so do what you will.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Those are good points and I would have never thought that had you not said it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He’s Mormon so that’s probably true.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The one thing I dislike the most in these books is how much of a prude everyone is. I don’t need sex and rape every other chapter like GRRM. But non stop ewww cleavage is tiring.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

silvergoose posted:

But a bunch of people are like whatever mixed baths, that butt is great, those legs, etc

I dunno.

All the main characters spend at least once every chapter talking about how low cut a dress is and will blush profusely over a little side boob. I get it, but they do it A LOT.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Failed artistically is a phrase that seems very interpretive.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

EoTW was kinda good in that regard. Except for the forsaken bit at the end, Rand got his poo poo kicked in for most of the book. He had this master sword he couldn’t use and everyone rightfully mocked him for having it. Then the second book he’s Superman. It’s fine but I could have used more of poo poo kicked in.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I forgot I till I reread the book but I was so totally ready for Rand and Asmodean to become buds. What a let down.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He thinks he’s a simpleton but you wouldn’t think that if you were now would you Perrin? Though I do rather like that each boy thinks the other is good with women when none of them are.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Under my testicles.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

No it was a Bart Simpson doll.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Good loving luck getting through it in a month.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh yea by the end of 2020 I misread. Still could be hard depending on how much you read.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just look at this gates’ girth Rand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Are there any official images of the way the armor and stuff is supposed to look from the books?