Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I stumbled across this thread and remembered that the WoT TV show was going to be a thing and figured I could kill some time and see if there was any news about it. Then I saw the podcast someone mentioned upthread and thought that would be a good way to catch up since it's been about 5 years since I've read the books and I only finished the series the one time (I tried reading them back in the day but gave up halfway through Crossroads of Twilight). The podcast was talking about stuff I had zero memory of, so I figured I may as well start a re-read and just listen to the podcast as I go. So thanks for making me start this behemoth of a series again y'all. If I burn out halfway through again I'm blaming all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Dankzilla posted:

The books have little symbols at the start of chapters that clue you in on what going to happen in that chapter. Haven't read them in forever but I don't remember struggling with that at all. Not sure if the kindle version keeps those in.

It does. I've got them all on Kindle and have been rereading them along with that WoT Spoilers podcast posted upthread.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Soysaucebeast posted:

It does. I've got them all on Kindle and have been rereading them along with that WoT Spoilers podcast posted upthread.

Speaking of, Amazon just changed three of the book covers in the series and now I'm unreasonably mad about it. I really like the art they had (and still do for the other books) and hope they don't change all of them over to the boring new covers. I have Calibre and know I could just change them back with that, but if I do I won't be able to keep everything synced between my Kindle, my phone, and my work computer. This is so dumb and I hate it.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Apparently this has already been renewed for a season two?

https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1194733505328173057

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait, there's a show of that now too?

Yep. HBO is making it. The second episode aired yesterday. I watched the first one and it actually seems pretty good? It's been forever since I read the books, but so far it seems way better than the movie that was made about 10 years or so ago.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

Yea Jordan’s a good writer too. He’s a little long winded but descriptions are good. Honestly, he’s got a knack for character names. There’s a few people I can’t keep track of who they are but most character names are very easy and distinct. Like keeping track of every person in GoT is miserable.

I think the only two I legitimately have issues keeping straight are Galad and Gawyn. I can keep the two characters separate in my head, I just can never remember which one is which.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Vavrek posted:

18-19, I think. Maybe 20ish? I think about 20. I remember consistently underestimating the ages of the characters, except for Nynaeve, because I assumed that Egwene started braiding her hair at like 16. And that Nynaeve was unusually young as a 30something Wisdom who looked like she was in her mid-20s, not a 26 year old who looked like she had just started braiding her hair.

Y'all've reminded me of one of my favorite scenes that involve visions and callbacks.
Sharina, Sharina, oh she was mentioned in passing last book, but Nynaeve wasn't there ...

Ten years earlier, RJ plants a name.

poo poo like this is why I'm enjoying doing a re-read while listening along to that WoT Spoilers Podcast. They usually stop and talk about stuff like that as they go and it's amazing how much stuff is telegraphed years in advance. I've read the entire series twice, but I'm notoriously bad about keeping details like that in my head so it's nice having it brought to my attention. I just got to their episodes on Rand's visions in Rhuidean and it's crazy all the stuff packed into there.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I don't know the name at all. What can I watch her in that shows off her ability?

I think the big one is Gone Girl.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

I've been ordering the books 3 at a time via the "premium edition mass market pb" box sets. The quality of the books is good but... they all have the same variation of the WOT logo on the cover, and the backs literally all have the same text. :(

Anyway, I'm like 60% done with The Great Hunt, and it's good as hell. Thom :neckbeard:

Those are the same covers the ebook versions all got switched to, too. It makes me sad because they previously had the second run off covers for the full-size paperbacks, and those were legit beautiful.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

If that’s subconscious that’s funny, if it’s deliberate, that’s kinda creepy.

It's absolutely on purpose. If you look at the map Tar'valon is anatomically correct with a clit, labia, vaginal opening, and anus. And it's arguably the center of female power on the continent. I have less evidence that the Dragonmount is a big ol dick, but knowing Jordan it absolutely is. He likes his symbolism like that.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

For any women itt

When you cross your arms, do you specifically cross them beneath your breasts? Or do you just... cross them.

Where else are you going to cross them?I had a friend say it's like saying a dude crossed his arms above his dick. Ever since they said that my brain auto substitutes one for the other and it's hilarious.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I saw that earlier, but didn't get a chance to watch it until just now. That is a really lame teaser. Hopefully the actual trailers will be a lot more engaging when they come out.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

All the three wives should have probably been combined. Having a harem is always weird to me cause it’s always a man who writes it and they have very little internal conflict to accepting it. Usually you have to be on a secluded compound in the middle of a Utah desert to get that kinda brainwashing.

That cracks me up because Jordan was in a poly relationship at one point, just with two women. He figured if he could handle two women then Rand could handle three. Here's the exact quote on it:

Robert Jordan posted:

Q: I was wondering, can you talk about how your lead character would have not one but three true loves, and how does your wife feel about that?

RJ: Um, when I was much younger, before I met Harriet, I had two girlfriends simultaneously, who arranged my dating schedule between them, who was going to date me on which night. They chipped in together to buy me birthday presents Christmas presents. You know, they just sort of shared me between them, you know. And they had been friends before, and I am not quite sure whether or not they made the decision they were both going to date me or not, on their own, before they first met me, it just came about. But I figured if I could manage two, surely Rand could manage three. Besides there are mythological reasons to have these three women involved with him. As far as my view on this, with Harriet, I have many more than three women, there are so many facets to her personality she quite often makes me dizzy, I am quite satisfied there. About how she feels about this, I suspect you want her answer, I seem to remember her saying to me, you do remember this is fantasy right? And I think it was an accident she was holding a carving knife to me throat, just coincidence, but I am not sure.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

The actor that plays Thom is also Flynn Ryder in the Danish version of Rapunzel, if anyone wants to actually hear him singing. It'd expect Thom to be a bit more gruff/weathered, but it's not bad at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tdwySjgTc

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Somewhat more importantly, there's a Q&A with Rafe:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1341862273153810432

...in which the guitar question is addressed, though not the beer one.

Oh, I hadn't seen that Q&A. The fact that they're making Thom "younger and gritter" is a little disquieting, but I've heard good things from basically everyone about Rafe (and just found out he was on Survivor when I googled him) so I'll withhold judgement. Here's the specific answer if anyone else was curious.

https://twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1341858583680483328

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I'm quoting this so I can find it later, but I'm only a few chapters into this and I love it so far.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

th3t00t posted:

She hasn't posted an update in 5 months? I need closure!

Oh don't tell me that! I just got through her reading the Rhuidean chapters and was looking forward to get take on some of the later books.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, we will deal with that when it happens. I assume there will be a tv/iv thread and someone might make a read along thread. Or maybe we will revisit spoilers generally. Good call to start thinking about it but we've got some time.

I would really enjoy a spoiler free read along thread. I've really gotten into read along podcasts, and my most favorite ones are where one person has read the whole series and their cohost(s) are going in completely blind. Nexue is scratching that itch for me too, but a goon thread would be fantastic.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

calandryll posted:

The Gathering Storm is great because it's like Rand yelling at the clouds.

The eBook covers came out pretty awesome, specially Lord of Chaos.

They used to be awesome. Amazon changed them all to these ones a while ago. There not bad, but they're trying a little too hard to be modern and minimalist in my opinion. The artistic covers from a few years ago were way better in my opinion.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

passionatebeaver posted:

They were actually! I'm not sure about out of the US availability, but if you look for the paperback (not mass market paperback) editions, they use that art.

Here's the book 4 one for example: https://bookshop.org/books/the-shadow-rising-book-four-of-the-wheel-of-time/9780765334671

I was looking for years after spotting them in a local book store a while ago and finally figured out the right edition and got the set this past summer:

Yea, I worked at a book store years ago when all those came out. I really debated getting the entire set, but at that point I was in the middle of converting my collection from physical to digital and didn't want to spend the money. The art for those covers is easily my favorite though, and I wish I could convert my ebook covers to those. Amazon doesn't let you swap out covers though.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to go in very open minded. TV as a medium just works differently than books. There will be big changes necessary just because of that. Internal monologues, and especially Rand's internal dialogues are a big part of the series, and even if you try to convey them on screen, it won't work like it does in a book.

"They will pay", Lews Therin growled. "I am the Lord of the Morning".

How do you do that line justice on TV?

There's got to be some sort of voiceover work done for Rand's/Lews' whole thing. I really can't see any way they can do that without having something like a voiceover or an actor onscreen that everyone else can't see or something. There is absolutely no way to convey that via Rand's actor just acting. Depending on how it's done it could come off as cheesy as hell, but I am willing to reserve judgement on this one.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I think the big issue between WoT and GoT/MCU/Harry Potter/etc is that they don't bring up the "inherentness" (I can't think of a better word) of gender like WoT does. Like in WoT if you're born a woman, then you use this magic, and you're stronger at this type of thing and can't sense this sort of weaves, etc. In Harry Potter everything is literally the same between genders aside from the biases that exist in the real world that people frequently ignore anyway. It's an out of sight out of mind sort of thing. In WoT it's no longer out of sight, it is a major plot point and basically rubbed in your face every other page. Women do this and men do that. The difference of abilities that the genders have being so blatant is going to invite discussion, and then that will transfer over to criticism unless it is handled incredibly well (which personally, I doubt, but we'll see). That's not even bringing up the fact that like other people here have said, all the stuff a trans person would encounter in universe feeds right into transphobic rhetoric (AMAB people still have to use the male half of the power, so see, they're not really women at all! They're just men in dresses trying to invade female space!). That's not even getting into the LGBT issues, what with 'pillow friends' being a thing and all. That goes along the homophobic lines too (well, yea, they had lesbian relationships in college but they were just going through a phase! Once they meet a good man they'll go back to being a good straight woman again!).

I'll grant you that the discussion won't happen among every group of watchers, but it is going to be a significant jump up from say, the percent of GoT fans who discuss trans issues. I can't use Harry Potter as an analogy there because loving TERFy JK Rowling and all. But yea, every group of people who even tangentially know a LGBTQ+ person is going to notice the issues, because they are right up in your face.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 18, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Mentioned this before but they’re going to have to cut shitloads of characters. Unless they’re planning on casting and paying scale for hundreds of one-offs

I have no idea what you're talking about. There's only 2782 (holy poo poo dude) named characters!

Edit: Whoops, that's what I get for leaving the tab open.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 18, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I've been reading that tumblr page that got linked here. I only read a handful of pages when it's slow at work and I'm still halfway through Knife of Dreams.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

You have the Sandman series casting list specifically giving pronouns, it's not a thing you can shove back into obscurity.

Speaking of, for people that think the gender issue won't be a thing, there's a character in Sandman named Desire. They are literally the personification of Desire and show up as both a man and a woman throughout the comics ('cause different people desire different genders). The actor they have playing said character uses they/them pronouns and people are FLIPPING OUT about it. Like one, it literally should not matter what someone's pronouns are when they're playing a character, and two the actor's pronouns match in this case. And it's not just far right groups flipping their poo poo, there are random people on Twitter and Reddit getting in on the action. And while Twitter/Reddit are not exactly liberal bastions, and the people flipping out are getting shouted down for the most part, it is happening in a very public sphere so random people will at least catch wind of what's going on.

And as much as I love Sandman, that production is not going to generate nearly as much attention as WoT will. WoT is just spending too much money, there are too many book nerds talking about it (as opposed to comic nerds who are seen as super weirdos to the average person), and there are going to be a bunch of people who give it a shot while browsing Prime's listings. AND the gender issues are much more front and center in WoT. So it absolutely is going to become a discussion point at the absolute minimum. It's basically inevitable with this body of work and the "political climate" (ugh) today.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I can't speak for Amazon, but I know Netflix has said that they make more money by creating a show, airing two seasons, then canceling it. Apparently they get a lot of money from people signing up to watch it, and a good chunk of those people don't unsubscribe after it's cancelled. I'm hoping WoT becomes enough of a thing that Amazon keeps it going, but the cynical part of me keeps remembering Netflix and GoT. I think a decent chunk of people are going to be a little gun-shy about a sprawling fantasy epic after that.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CainsDescendant posted:

Utopian sci-fi future but instead of fusion and solar running everything it's clean-burning one power. I'd love to see a glimpse of flying cars and fantastical cities in the show, particularly if it's as they catch fire and burn down from the Breaking.

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself but I'm really wondering how they're going to handle the Rhuidean sequence

loving carefully if they know what's good for them. Rhuidean is in my top five moments for the entire series and part of that is because it's told backwards. I know that's going to be hard as hell to portray backwards on TV, but if it's told chronologically it loses some of the magic. It's going to be extremely difficult but hopefully they'll have a few seasons to work it out.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Barreft posted:

Can't wait for when people realize Tar Valon is a literal vagina design

I showed the map to my husband a while ago and he thought that I was just being a big ol' pervert when I said it was a vagina. He was all "sure, it's an oval with tapered ends, but you're reading way too much into it." Then I pointed out all the "anatomical" bits and he about died laughing.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

How are u posted:

I enjoy hearing a new reader's perspective as they get into the series, but I'll come out and say that I find the whole "I'm going to intentionally misname all the characters with my personal pet nicknames because that's funny and random" thing to be a little dumb and it gets old.

I intentionally misname characters all the drat time. It actually makes it easier for me to remember a huge cast of characters like this, and I find it hilarious (I'm sure my husband disagrees). So I was really glad to hear the people in this podcast do that too, because it meant I wasn't the only one lol.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

RC Cola posted:

What wheel of time podcast?

Edit: there are a lot and I would like to goon endorsed one

The one we've been talking about lately is called Wheel Takes. It's pretty good!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

CainsDescendant posted:

I just couldn't acclimate to WoT Spoilers having rotating hosts after the one guy left the show. I'd have been fine if he'd been replaced by someone consistent, but every episode having random people (usually with bad mics) was too much for me.

Yea, I quit listening to them when he left because he was my favorite of the two. It sucks that instead of a replacement host they've just got a bunch of people rotating in. That would drive me nuts too.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jedit posted:

Aviendha doesn't hate Rand. She hates that the Wise Ones are throwing her at him. She feels that a relationship won't be her choice, and there's still a big part of her not being willing to give up the spear.

Well that, and she's extremely frustrated because she promised Elayne to make sure he stayed loyal and Aviendha has a lot of feelings for the woolhead. Really, she has a lot going on in her life and the Aiel's honor system is making it all even more complicated for her. I totally get why all of that mixed together would result in her projecting all of that onto Rand as his fault (if it weren't for Rand, I wouldn't feel this shame/have to give up the spear/etc) and making him think that she hates him. She doesn't hate him as a person, but for a while she absolutely hates what he represents and what turmoil he's causing her. After the igloo she gets out of her own head a bit and everything goes a bit smoother, and then it gets better again once she confronts Elayne afterwards.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 30, 2021

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

They are, which is why they're getting a much more charismatic actor for him in season 2 to pretend like it's a different character altogether.

Edit: Just to be clear, this is intended to be read as a joke. I don't think we have any idea why they replaced the actor.

We sort of do. There were some hints during the recent interviews, but nothing was said outright. Basically Mat's actor is (allegedly) a colossal rear end in a top hat who did not meld with the rest of the team, did not have a good handle on who the characters were/their motivations in general, and I saw someone say he had a bit of a coke problem. We don't know if that's true for sure or not, but it melds with everything else.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The big one is

There are others later but that's the big hint. It's all fairly low key because they're both types that hide their romantic emotions and we don't see much from their viewpoints in the first book.

Yea, that's obvious for Nynaeve crushing on Lan, but on a re-read people notice that that's when Lan kinda-sorta starts crushing on Nynaeve too. He really digs her tracking and survivalist skills and it just flows from there.

I really love those two as a couple, I think they're my favorite in the whole series aside from Rand and Min.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Rarity posted:

Berelain/Galad ftw

I always forget that they get together. In my mind all she does is harass Perrin and all he does is be weirdly legit good Whitecloak.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Regarding 1, I think this is pretty clear. The whole "older women don't like/respect me because I look young" thing is code for the trope that women hate other women who are better looking than them. This is a widely disparaged trope for good reason, but it was a very prevalent male attitude at the time of writing and still persists today.

There's also the fact that a lot of older women don't like having to defer to a younger one, and that can make younger women in power defensive. It's the whole "respect your elders" thing turned up to 11.

Yes, I had to manage a 50-something year old woman when I was 19. Yes, she was hell to work with, and made it explicit that it was an age thing.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hooplah posted:

i was actually thinking about elyas recently and how unlikely it is that two wolfbrothers just happen to be born right after each other when they apparently hadn't been around since... who knows? before the AoL? taveren/pattern-forcing deus ex machina seems flimsy for this level of seemingly inconsequential coincidence.

Three. Don't forget the one guy who goes completely feral whose name I can't remember right now.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Why can't Perrin/Thor be the dragon next time :c00lbert:

It's always Tyr this and Jesus that... When will Thor get to be the dragon and try to drink an ocean?!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

It would make sense too, why her mask is down. She could be taking a breather because she's about to give drat birth, and if the dude snuck up on her (because, again, distracted by being in labor) she wouldn't have time to veil before killing him. Add in the fact that it's not as important to veil before killing for Tigrane as it would be for any other Aiel, and I think it makes perfect sense.

Ardlen posted:

So Moiraine is Rand's kinda-sorta aunt? Weird.

I saw some Reddit post that said she's basically related to like half the cast one way or another. I wish I could find it, it was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

WOT series and Cowboy Bebop live action series both out this friday.

real Nerd Holiday vibes

I am super hesitant after that Cowboy Bebop opening they released. It looks... I don't know. Just not good. And apparently they cut Ed entirely for some reason.