Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Been waiting for this thread to pop up. I don't know about this Rafe guy. Casting is fine, it was funny to see, almost invariably, some Slavic-sounding last name dude bemoaning the Forced Diversification. There are a couple of physical things other than skin color that don't feel right to me, but they are minor. I have a pretty strong emotional connection to these books and characters, so I at least hope we get something adequate if not spectacular. I was always on the "Make it an Epic Anime " train.

Mostly I just hope the Seanchan sound like Texans and not the weird thing the (very good) audiobooks did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

drat, it's impossible to like more than one kind of thing, you've really opened my eyes

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I feel like book 10 was a just an experiment that failed, hard. Rather than some sort of con

Sab669 posted:

Also I feel like even with audio books, one can't "breeze" through those middle bad ones. But I'm also a slow reader so...

Yeah, a lot of peoples' complaints about bloating don't really bother me since I've always been on the quicker side. Which isn't superior or anything, I miss poo poo all the time. Although at this point in rereads there are parts I gloss over, if not entirely skip

Brolander fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 5, 2019

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

ulmont posted:

The Simpsons takes 6-8 months. South Park takes 1 week.

Laughing imagining an enormously long animated Wheel of Time series in lovely south park style

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i love the audiobooks. but man, in the first book, they're all over the place. pronouncing loial differently in the same paragraph etc.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

The Lord Bude posted:

It really makes me nervous when they say stuff like 'we're going to focus the story on Moriane more.' Please don't gently caress this up, random Survivor Alumni dude.

but they posted lots of pictures of dogeared copies of Eye of the World!!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
If you didn't pay attention you might think he was an orphan for how much he quotes the Luhanns.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 26, 2019

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Which makes a kind of sense for a live-in apprenticeship like that.

True, but did he start it when he was like, 4 years old?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Mat Cauthon posted:

Kids that got shipped off for medieval-type apprenticeships weren't much older than that, yeah.

Sure, but this just seemed like a different situation, it being a small village they never really left. A little googling backs you up, and also shows other readers did think he was an orphan

"..and in Faile's arms, Perrin broke down. 'I sort of knew them!!!i look like them!! they didn't really teach me anything about life or raise me but they're gone!! im pretty sad!!!! "

Brolander fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 27, 2019

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
wonder if we'll have to have a spoiler free thread and an anything goes thread like with GoT

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

That's going to be a fun B plot of an episode when Lan makes him behave like a Lord of the borderlands to screw with Moiraine and the Shienarans.

Assuming it doesn't get cut.

Three drops!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i for one look forward to like 45 seconds of inner machinations overdubbed in the time between a question being asked and answered

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Diaphanous. Diaphanous. DIAPHANOUS

The smile did. Not. Touch. His eyes. Then his face was carved from stone. Or wood. Carved from wooden stone.

If you haven’t read Isam’s summaries somehow, google it. The original forum posts are dead and it’s kind of scattered around now

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
RE: Egwene and That Scene:

Egwene is trying to impart upon Nyn that if she dies In The Ma'tri'x she dies in real life; Nyn as usual will not just shut the gently caress up and listen, so Egwene conjures something to scare the poo poo out of her. Possibly from Nynaeve's own psyche. And she actually learned the lesson. Regardless of Egwene's other motives for doing this, it's not like she was just being a sadist. Even if she was self satisfied after, it has to feel good to own Nynaeve if you have to spend any time around her and grew up more or less under her thumb.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

RC Cola posted:

Yeah, its her job to do that. She knows all about listening to people who know better. Its why she obeyed the wise ones telling her to not be in the world of the dreams at the time she was teaching Nynaeve why to listen about not going in the world of dreams.

Google why is Egwene the worst. There are some comprehensive lists that have been gathered over the last 29 years.

Wait are you telling me a character in the Wheel of Time is a hypocrite

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I agree that Egwene is morally reprehensible but a good character in the sense that the story, especially the plot, greatly benefits from having her do what she does.

good old Great vs. Good

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
One thing I caught on this listenthrough that I don't remember noticing before was Olver "Setting a great store by his promises", i.e. he absorbed one of Mat's few redeeming qualities, not just the Horny Pervert stuff

It's, again, the difference between the POV internal narrative of these characters and what they actually do. For an entire readthrough, when you get to any Rand/Mat/Perrin POV, try to completely ignore their internal musing and parse for what's actually happening and what the other characters' reactions to them are.

For Mat it's harder because before he (and everyone) accepts that he's going to be one of the great generals of the age and nothing will change that, he does try to avoid taking *overall* responsibility in a battle.

I think my favorite example of this is "slow, careful thinking is best" Perrin constantly realizing that he's shouting at people

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i mean like, by the standards of the people around him who aren't birgitte or the band or whatever. trust me i love mat like a good wheel of time fan

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Uh yeah, he likes to "snuggle", disgusting

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Krazyface posted:

where, specifically, are your arms crossed?

beneath my considerable bosom

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Considerable? Not formidable?

It's ample, im talking major fuckin' tits. they are a symbol of my dominance and power

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
no i have an angreal that is a tiny garfield

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
"Did Mosk and Merk really fight with spears of fire, and were they even giants?"

"Did Garf really get so hungry he ate the first day of the week?"

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

What about saidin? I'm guessing it resides in well turned calves.

honestly the women's POVs should describe the mens' packages, "a considerable bulge", etc

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Lol

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I burn through like 7.5-8 hours of WoT time at work every day, so it doesn't take me too long.

If I were Mat or someone who hung around the Core Group a lot I would piss off the uncrowned King of Malkier by always calling him "Land"

Which is an idea I think would be good in a "Bored of The Rings" style Lampooning of WoT. Not just one book. I'm talking all 15(well 14 and 1 normal size) thick novels parodied

Brolander fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 1, 2019

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Lots of casting news today.

https://twitter.com/wotonprime/status/1202258062515429377

https://twitter.com/wotonprime/status/1202256801539883009

https://twitter.com/wotonprime/status/1202256602117443585

https://twitter.com/wotonprime/status/1202256358470385664

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Yeah the general response has been positive, i dont know much of any of these actors but aesthetically they seem spot on or close

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Dude has a good voice for Thom. Cant find it now but someone posted a pic of him with facial hair, definitely looks old enough to me

Glad it’s not Sam Elliot like all the borings wanted.

https://vimeo.com/149956339

he doesn't really show it but you can hear the reserves of Bass

Brolander fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 4, 2019

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Thom actor has a legit moustache and beard in The Last Kingdom (in which he's a viking rear end in a top hat). I actually didn't recognize him clean shaven.

Loial actor is 6'3" so not tiny, but it's gonna be CGI/camera perspective shenanigans to make him look right. He's apparently a pretty decent physical comedy guy so hopefully that translates to the role in a good way - super large dude interacting with tiny furniture and table settings etc.

as long as they give his coat Capacious Pockets!!!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

silvergoose posted:

"Moiraine tried to put on a chastened face, as if she had endured one of the Amyrlin's infamous upbraidings but the expression was foreign to her. She looked more angry than anything else"

I do love this line ever so much.

this was in my relisten today, and made me chuckle

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Welp it got dusty as gently caress at the end of gathering storm

not the end but today for me it was nyn defending Mat's honor at the meeting with tuon

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
read it to the baby. hook em young

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
listen kid. duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather. it is important you understand this before you can tie your shoes

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

SerSpook posted:

and now we discuss how to sheathe the sword

son, sheathing your sword is completely natural. there's just a time and a place

As I've said I love the audiobooks, but the way Kate Reading pronounces "patina" bothers the hell out of me. Also once she says "secreted" in the way that does not mean "hid"

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Artonos posted:

There are definitely some weird and inconsistent pronunciations during the audiobooks. I would love if they'd go back and fix some of it. But they probably never will re-record the books because of the length and expense.

Moiraine/Moirenne, I remember in book 10 somewhere I think the normal Padan Fain-Fahn in the same sentence. what a hell of a gig though. "Sal-dayyyyyyyyah"

It'd be cool if there was some sort of voice over featuring MKKR on the show, if it's not Loial.

As far as Seanchan I for sure want them to sound like Deep Texans on the show, but I imagine when they went to try it for the audiobooks they couldn't stop laughing. I've tried it out loud in the car and it's real hard not to put the Music Of Dixie in that accent

Brolander fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 9, 2019

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Lews Therin and The Bad Hole

‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ by

Dafydd ab Hugh

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
A touch of grey means youre old as hell, looking like a straight up old woman means you're older than hell and dirt

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
let's say you were trying to create a religion around these "sacred texts". how would you arrange them? would you treat the sanderson books as apocrypha and excise them, rewrite the ending to your own..ends? is he another Prophet like Jordan, or was The Creator's spirit in him? I guess you could do The Book of Mat, etc. and cobble together narratives for each major and semimajor figure so the good people can read the stories and learn the lessons. it would be cool poetry of fate if a set of the WoT books survived some sort of global catastrophe and became the holy texts for the world's new religion.

Brolander fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

The Lord Bude posted:

They've certainly got the 'spare the rod...' part down.

And lo, did Mat basically become a sexual slave for a Powerful MILF. It seemed bad at the time but late after she was brutally murdered he realized it was super awesome.