Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't think Faile ever does anything mind bendingly stupid just because Min has said she will live to give birth to twins

Faile is a decent character IMHO she's just stuck in an interminable plotline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RC Cola posted:

You misspelled Elaida

Elaida exists to be hated and does that job well though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Well poo poo, I just found this thread thanks to someone linking it elsewhere and wow, they're actually filming a Wheel of Time thing? I don't think I'll believe it's actually happening until the first episodes are available for streaming.

Also even then is there any reason to think this isn't going to be mediocre crap? :smith: There's a billion TV shows produced these days since everyone wants their own streaming platform with original content, and only a small percentage of that is anywhere near quality.

Don't care, Tits & Trollocs

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Wanna see that doom wad throne room from the Ba'alzamon dream scenes in book 1

All skulls and monster faces and NIN logos

It's sometimes amazing how nineties the Wheel of Time is

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Most of the way through Winter's Heart, and I'm really enjoying how Mat only does things because there is no one else to do them. Accidental hero? Unintentional? Unwilling?

Yeah, that's the key to Mat's character, that I'm not sure Sanderson ever fully picked up on. Mat doesn't want to be responsible but when the chips are down he is.

The scenes in Book 5 or so where Mat starts leading the Band during the Seige of Cairhien are some of the best in the book for exactly that reason. It's the Prince Hal fantasy.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 6, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Interesting thing about Tam is, he was the original Rand in Jordans first draft.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

How are u posted:

WoT is canceled for being insufficiently Marxist.

There's a weird line in book 12 about how Aes Sedai healing should be free to all, in priority order based on need

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Im up to the Sanderson books in my reread. Its really sad how easy it is to tell which sections are by which author because Sanderson keeps making subjunctive mood errors and using anachronistic phrases like "tavern punk".

I mean, he did a. . . .fine . . . job. It's. . . fine. But it's not the same.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, Sanderson was probably the best possible choice onxe Jordan had passed. Still, sadness, though.

I think Jordan would have finished the series as quickly if he'd lived. Book 11 showed he was over his hump, and the parts of the final books that were Jordan-written are excellent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's interesting that the major drop of quality also happened after LoC. He had probably by then mostly ran out of the original material he had thought up in the 70s and 80s, but didn't want to finish his series yet.

I think it was more that he was rushing his work while the project simultaneously got more and more complicated. He wrote himself into some holes that he had to dig out of as a result.

From what I recall most of the last few books had been plotted out, at least the high points. Jordan knew point A and point Z he just had a hard time figuring out the lmnop part I think.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bloom posted:

My right nut is better than Goodkind.

I have a copy of a book of Terry Goodkind short stories that was literally printed with "copyright 2001 Robert Jordan" on the copyright page.

I don't think it was a mistake. I think someone at Tor was loving with Goodkind.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, friend.

Sorry got the year wrong, it was 1998.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOR-Terry-Goodkind-DEBT-OF-BONES-1st-Edition-Paperback-JORDAN-MISPRINT-/193090494316

Tor actually did a recall but there's still plenty of copies lying around.

I don't think there's any way at all that happens without someone at Tor deliberately loving with the printing process.

edit: since it's top of the thread, here's (someone else's) photo of the copyright page in question:

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 12, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Witcher series just got renewed for a second season also. 1st season premiers in December.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The prologue works really well for a lot of reasons. It's very high concept, high fantasy, high magic, and throws the central hook of the series at you right away in a really dramatic fashion. It's high drama. It has lots of subtle touches and ambiguities that aren't answered for books and books and books (do we ever find out what or who the nine rods of Dominion are?). It lets you know right from the start that there is more going on here than just another farmboy fantasy.

Then the next chapter is farmboy fantasy and a three thousand year timeskip that isn't explained for hundreds of pages. It gives the reader immediate whiplash and makes them read to find out how the gently caress that connects with that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

silvergoose posted:

It's bad, despite having a few decent chapters, and "I can skim it" is definitely not an excuse, especially given audiobooks now...

At some point someone will need to go through and make an abridged version of WoT that cuts books 7,8,9, and 10 down to one volume.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I don't know what "failed" means in this context

Artistically it's a mixed result but a great one, a deeply flawed masterpiece.

Commercially and in popular culture though it was a *huge* success. Jordan was the jacket quote that launched Game of Thrones. Estimates are 90 million books sold worldwide. You didnt see many fantasy novels in airport bookshelves in the 1990's.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Like, I talked about how I'm unimpressed with Jordan's word choice in my earlier carping about "going insane", and also the way he repeatedly describes the ourobouros as "eating its own tail". Like... "eating"? That's the most evocative and poetic word you could think of for a heraldic symbol? Not "devouring", or "swallowing", or ... anything?

But word choice and language are my jam, and I know it's not what everyone goes in for in a fantasy series. I know where to go if that's what I want.

You can tell there are parts where Jordan was really working on his word choices, and there are other sections where he's just copy/pasting from earlier books so people who jump in at book five won't be confused.

I think there's general agreement even among his critics that his combat scenes are excellent, for example.

Sab669 posted:

I never thought about it, but that is kind of funny.

Now I'm going to picture a little serpent with a bib holding a fork and knife (somehow) while it prepares for a nice meal of its own tail

The worm uwu-boros

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sab669 posted:

I actually stand that whole, "He counters with Bull Charges The Mountain and follows up with Cherry Blossom and blah blah blah" style of writing. I know he's not the only one who does it, but ugh I do not like it at all.

I meant more the actual battle scenes. Most fantasy writers write combat scenes like something out of one of the lord of the rings movies or a RTS video game -- big camera angles, troop movements, etc. Sanderson's particularly bad about this.

Jordan writes his battle scenes in a very gritty, first person, flashforward/flashback disconnected style that's pretty unique among fantasy writers and extremely evocative. Full Metal Jacket vs. Lord of the Rings.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 19, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah I think the implication is that Rand is drawing on LTT's sword skills.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ChubbyChecker posted:

The premise of the series was that a random guy finds out that he's the reborn Messiah, though for marketing reasons it was changed to a kid that the guy found. The superhero protagonist stuff is what the series is about.

Mat Cauthon posted:

the point is clearly that having all the advantages in the world means very little if you fall prey to pride and madness and self-doubt while distancing yourself from everything and everyone that you're supposed to be caring about in the first place.

In short, being an American soldier in Viet Nam was a horrible mistake, and please can we have a do-over.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
A lot of the Salidar plotline could be cut but Egwene as a character has a few genuinely neat plot points, and the "Fount of the Power" chapter in book 14 or whatever is one of the series high points.

Gawaine, Galad, and Elayne. . . yeaaah. I think they're just another idea that didn't work out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Also I wondered whether I was supposed to be reading her coup over the Tower leadership as analogous to Hitler wrangling a majority and seizing emergency powers

Look, say what you will about Egwene, she made the white tower trains run on time

I mean, that's actually the best defense of her character. She's lovely in more than one way but she gets poo poo done when it matters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Also Egwene "trained" under the Seanchan so it's not unreasonable to think she would be good at blowing poo poo up with the Power

More importantly, she knows how to fight them intelligently (link circles and disconnect the leashes).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gnoman posted:

"Egwinna" is one Latinized rendering of the Welsh "Ecgwynn", which was allegedly the name of an early king of England's mother.

I always just thought it was a slightly modified form of Ygraine / Igraine.

quote:

In the Matter of Britain, Igraine (i:'ɡreɪn) is the mother of King Arthur. She is also known in Latin as Igerna, in Welsh as Eigr (Middle Welsh Eigyr), in French as Ygraine (Old French Ygerne or Igerne), in Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur as Ygrayne—often modernised as Igraine or Igreine—and in Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival as Arnive. She becomes the wife of Uther Pendragon, but her first husband was Gorlois; her daughters by Gorlois are Elaine, Morgause and Morgan le Fay.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

seaborgium posted:

If I remember correctly, they did say which parts were written before Sanderson took over. I think it was mostly the Mat stuff that Jordan had already written, but I could be wrong, so any weird inconsistencies I figured were just where Sanderson had to insert a chapter or two somewhere.

Basically Jordan wrote the good parts / high points and Sanderson connected them up. I think some of those parts, such as the Tower of Ghenji, were rougher drafts than others though.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 22, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Mat is more ha-ha funny in the later books but Sanderson never really grasps the layabout/oh goddammit I have to help those people tension that's the center of Mat's character. Mat is kind of like Galad in that he always does the right thing no matter the risk, but he always hates doing it and he always gets away with it, barely.

Mat is the prince Hal fantasy -- sure I'm a lazy drunk but if it *really* counted and all the chips were down, I could do the right thing and pull it off and save the day. Sanderson never sells that part of the character in the way Jordan managed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sab669 posted:

What? 1/2 to 3/4 of the series he's trying to run away from any sort of responsibility. He's not "Ugh fine I'll do it", he's "Let's go in the opposite directio- OH GOD I DID A THING"

Right, exactly. He's trying to run away, but he never actually runs away. It's conflict between his inner narrative and conscious desires, and his actions that makes the character. The reluctant hero.

There are a lot of great examples but the best is probably the battle of Cairhien. He's literally on a horse running away but if he leaves those men will get killed, ok, dammit, I'll help just this once (ends up personally winning battle).

Other examples include: overhearing Gaebril, the Stone of Tear, etc.

See, e.g.,

quote:

The Amyrlin gave an exasperated sigh. “You remind me of my uncle Huan. No one could ever pin him down. He liked to gamble, too, and he’d much rather have fun than work. He died pulling children out of a burning house. He wouldn’t stop going back as long as there was one left inside. Are you like him, Mat? Will you be there when the flames are high?”

That passage is the key to Mat's character. He's *thinking* "I want to be drunk and in trouble* but what he's *doing* is saving the day.

Note that when Mat fights the Gholam he literally forces it back into a burning building.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 22, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

silvergoose posted:

As I mentioned, that's gotta be the longest, stupidest mystery I've ever seen in a book.

In case people don't recall, there's an inn in illian called easing the badger, mentioned in book 2 as "no one, even the innkeeper, knows what it means".

Then in, what, book 11? 12? The book where mat meets up with Perrin after going to the tower. Something like mat captures a badger in a bag, and then at the end of the chapter, Perrin laughs and eases the badger.

That's it.

I think that's just Sanderson's desperate need to answer everything. I doubt Jordan would have ever closed that loop. He wanted to leave some questions unanswered so that the story wouldn't be perfectly tidy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
http://www.valyriansteel.com/2019/12/13/new-license-for-the-wheel-of-time/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Invalid Validation posted:

Are there any official images of the way the armor and stuff is supposed to look from the books?

If you can find photos of the old Museum Replicas swords etc., those were Jordan approved. There were a lot of heron mark blades sold but there were also models for perrins'axe and mate's dagger.

Edit found a link : https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/wheel-of-time-props.155977/post-2393520

That said, I think of the dagger has having much more of a curve, almost circular, like the chapter icon.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 14, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The legion of the dragon is expressly trained with pavise and crossbow.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah I almost think that whole sequence is just there to show how leadership failures happen. You ignore a problem for reasons and it gets worse.

Also yeah Taim was demandred and it got preemptively retconned.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

JOHN SKELETON posted:

In the show, they should just come up with a Star Trek technobabble equivalent for why Traveling to Perrin or w/e can't happen right now.

My Lord Dragon, the Pattern is too weak around <area> to Travel without all channelers in <large radius> knowing it!!!! Or whatever. Just like there's constant excuses around channeling itself.

There is a bit of that in the books. At a couple points perrins'channelers can't weave gateways for *reasons*.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I just realized

Gonna be a shitload of wheel of time memes aren't there

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I really really hope they don't cut the prologue in the show.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I just have a hard time believing wot can succeed as a show.

I've long had a theory that doorstopper fantasy like wot became popular due to the rise of television; if you wanted something long and immersive, something that took a month rather than a few hours, you needed a book, not a TV show or movie.

I feel like so much of the value of wot comes from things that will be hard to bring to the screen; the huge depth, the details, the internal monologues, etc. Things like Mat shifting his word choice when speaking in the Old Tongue without realizing it, etc.

I am *probably * wrong. But my fear is that if you strip out the text and leave just the story, all you have is a fairly generic fantasy bildungsroman, Hercules or Xena with "trollocs". And if that's all there is, it won't be good.

OTOH this would be a great time for "are we the baddies?: fantasy version" to get some traction. If they get that WoT is a post Vietnam narrative and develop it with that consciousness then it has a chance to be genuinely good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I can't help but feel the ending would have been slightly different without Sanderson, yeah, though I can't support that. I feel like Fain might have survived, for example.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1217520372725297152?s=19

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

4 episodes for tbhe entirety of book 1 means lots of cut time tbh

My guess is they're cutting everything from shadar logoth to the Ways, then doing Fal Dara from the 2nd book as a denouement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
My favorite wot joke is and remains

Ta'veren: in the Old Tongue, "Protagonist".