Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

No no it’s their aura that’s dark, not their skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Have they announced casting for Galad, the most handsome man in all the land?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Willem Defoe needs to be a scene chewer

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

OB_Juan posted:

Double points if we can get Robert Pattinson another role hanging out with him.

He’s got the mustache, we just need to dye Pattinson’s hair white and throw some wrinkles on him...

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

My personal headcannon is that Aes Sedai all look like Joan Rivers.

Joan Rivers and Dolly Parton

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What if someone talks about Saidar being good?

We ask them politely yet firmly to leave.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Up to The Shadow Rising on my reread. I like how Moiraine/other Aes Sedai manipulate Rand and Perrin into being lords just by listening to them, which makes others do the same.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m going almost done with ToM now and while I like Perrin it’s taken what like 7 books for him to do something? Jesus Christ it feels like an eternity of just sitting around doing nothing. I swear you could make the whole series in 7 books or so if they cut all the boring stuff out. I know, real hot take here.

I just finished a TSR reread and he gets a great ending in that book. Saves the Two Rivers, gets declared Lord despite his protests, rides off to bang his wife to raucous cheers and applause

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mat’s sections of The Shadow Rising are so good. It’s like this clip, but the chores are all the battles to fight before he can run away.

https://youtu.be/AbSehcT19u0

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I always wondered how long a sword could last in a battle hitting shields and armor until it changes from something that effortlessly glides through a grown man’s leg to a blunt metal stick with a sharp point.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I just got to the point in the reread where Perrin flips the switch and turns into a dude who constantly pisses off his wife despite clear cultural instructions and the magic ability to read emotions :(

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My brain always reads Seanchan as “See-ahn-chan,” but google says it’s actually “Shawn-chan”. That’ll be way more fun to say with a lazy southern drawl.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 13, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Basileus777 posted:

Jordan really nails the pettiness of politics and institutions. It strikes true way more than the grand plans driven by mastermind plotters than you tend to see in genre fiction.

Well Thom is in the background weaving his webs of intrigue.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Up to POD on a reread. Love to see Elyas giving Perrin the coursebook for Saldean wife 101 and Perrin deciding to ignore him.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

bell jar posted:

"Perrin, do you yell at your wife?"
"Of course not, I love her!"
"You don't love your wife if you don't yell at her, Perrin"

Perrin:
“I can’t trust Elyas, that dude is crazy!”
“I can’t trust Faile’s parents, Saldeans are crazy!”
“I can’t trust my superhuman nose that smells Faile’s emotions, women are crazy!”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That’s true, men are only useful after they cleanse their taint

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

eke out posted:

i got to the point in the reread where they fight the Shaido for Cairhien and i'd basically forgotten about the whole sequence and it totally rules

especially the (relatively) fast cuts between Rand and Mat as both plunge into the thick of it, then the hard cut to the battle being over with each in a total daze, barely aware of the time that's passed or who they killed.

and Jordan loving has Mat kill Couladin offscreen like an absolute loving chump lmao

the entire end of this book would be the most incredible tv, especially because after the huge setpiece for Cairhien you think that the climax is over, then things get buckwild between moiraine/lanfear and the sudden teleport assault on Caemlyn

They’re going to need to give Mat a companion to talk to during his planned escape from the Aiel camp so we can hear Mat’s train of thought. I loved how Mat’s tactical superpowers clearly laid out what each step in the battle would be, and that he could either go do the obvious moves (that hardly anyone else saw) to avoid a mass slaughter at no small danger to himself, or slip away like a little baby.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tormund from GoT should be cast as an Aiel clan chief though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

He'd be a cool Rhuarc or Bael or Gaul for sure, but they're clean shaven right? Have you seen what he looks like without a beard? Dude is basically a loving Disney prince, he'd be better suited to playing Galad.

Or Gareth or Logain or Furyk Karede, since he's probably a little old to be Galad.

Hot drat that is the face of a Disney prince

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Zore posted:

Yeah, honestly way more is made about how people dress and accents than skin color in the books.

And “how people dress” is really just how much cleavage/leg is shown

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

wondering how the tv is going to convey to me that someone has a well-turned calf

A strange amount of shots will be of a person walking down the stairs in tight breeches, then a cut to a woman raising an eyebrow in approval.

The shots of Perrin working the forge while Faile tries to implement a lordship in Edmond’s Field will be incredibly horny.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This show can be filmed with telenovela-level posing and longing, lust filled gazes and stay pretty true to the spirit of the books.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hope they have Aes Sedai running around doing full “lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!” a la:

https://youtu.be/j_ekugPKqFw

Whereas the Forsaken or Damane cause 10x more damage without lifting a finger.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

By the middle of the series, there were simply too many PoV characters. Every additional PoV took up "screen time" that could have been spent on the others. The seeds for this were laid very early (I started noticing it around book 4), started to impact the pacing around book 7, and became drat near unforgivable by book 10. You can spend 600 pages where almost nothing happens because the author visited 50 different characters and each one only moved their plot a small amount.

I'm sure there's a term for this, and it's killed more than one major series that I loved. A Song of Ice and Fire is probably the biggest and most current example.

Anyway, back to Wheel of Time. A huge portion of Knife of Dreams is dedicated to chopping off these excess PoVs. Characters start to congregate, allowing for consolidated viewpoints. Other plots get killed (some of them literally) in a rather unceremonious fashion. More than a few were ignored.

And it still took three more books for Sanderson to wrap everything up.

It’s the corporate training effect. The first morning of any extended training is usually taken up by an introduction exercise. “Stand up and tel us your name, hometown, role, and something interesting about yourself” passes by quickly with 5 people, but groups of 25+ means you’ll be doing introductions until drat near lunch.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is there an actor for Gawyn yet? Does he have a dumb stupid face that thinks a farm boy with a staff is easy pickings?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bruceski posted:

My only worry is that without Gawyn someone else will be the Worst Person in the Story, and if we keep trimming those it'll eventually hit someone actually likeable.

I’m hoping they clean up the plot line, but Perrin’s teenage relationship angst could pick up that mantle pretty quickly.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

N’thing that this blog is super compelling. It’s also made me realize I need to be better about more thoughtful reading - she’s called a bunch of plot points very early on that I missed while skimming.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Keep the forsaken in there, but just to show up in the early seasons to announce themselves before Moiraine dunks on them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Made it through the most recent chapter of that WoT liveblog. This past year has been rough for everyone, but hopefully she gets the blog going again. She’s has a ton of spot on predictions, and makes a case for Egwene being a better character than I remember, but brought down by the absolute cesspit of suck that is Gawyn.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

<insert Brad Pitt from fight club picture here>

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There better be some female gaze shots of Perrin, given part of Faile’s political strategy in the Two Rivers was “call my hot sweaty husband in and watch the Women’s Circle’s brains short circuit.”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Souls bound to the horn hang out in the world of dreams, right? Did they have an exclusive club where they hung out that was nigh impossible to find? Because with how many people get into the world of dreams, you’d think someone would be like “hey there are a bunch of legendary souls around here somewhere, let’s find them and (seek their guidance, for protagonists) or (murder them from existence, for antagonists).”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They can hide from people. When Brigitte shows up in TAR and is warning Egwane of danger (I think, might be Nynaeve) Gaidal starts to get on her case about being seen and interfering with events but the other person can't hear or see anyone that Brigitte is responding to, other than a glimpse of a shadow with two swords strapped on their back.

Yeah that makes sense, I just think if someone like Verin found out that those heroes were hanging around Tel’aran’rhiod, she would’ve worked until she figured out a way to uncover them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Despite a recent reread, I’m going to feel like an unspoiled first time watcher when this show debuts out given to the sheer number of words and names in this world that I’ve been pronouncing incorrectly in my head. The Amyrlin Seat has been “Amy + Rillin” for years now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ask him what the front gates of Jordan's house look like.

Actually wait I guess that's a fairly easy google

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It would necessitate revamping a whole lot of plot, but I could see Perrin’s leadership snowballing after the Shapiro are spread across the continent and he ends up unifying the bulk of the nations for Rand just by going around convincing generals to work with him.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Perrin: “I have the ability to smell exactly what anyone is feeling at any given time, including my mercurial wife”

also Perrin: “I will not actively use this knowledge to my political advantage, except to note how well being honest and buff as hell throws politicians off their game. Being only 18, I will definitely not use my ability to better communicate with my wife.”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Those are rad as hell, awesome sense for character design

You know what the best one is?

No Gawyn.

but really Siuan.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Looks like some stout two rivers wool clothing.

I’m okay with Perrin being gigantic, though Moiraine is taller than I thought based on the text describing her as a tiny little lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

After a certain point, you've gotta let some of the book details go to get the best actors for the job, ya know? It's like the thing with Thom playing guitar on the show instead of a harp. Why? Because the actor who plays Thom can actually play guitar but can't play a harp, so it makes more sense to have him actually play the instrument for his scenes than fake it with the harp. And you know what? I'm fine with that. We all need to take a deep breath and accept that this is another turning of the Wheel than the one we read about, so there are going to be a lot of differences.

For sure, it’s not a big deal. I just liked the image of one of the most influential figures in the world frustratedly trying to jostle her way through a crowd because she’s too short to see what Rand is doing.