Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have won again, Lews Therin.

The reader slayed this scene in the audiobooks, it was excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Cause I mean the drivers have different names, their circumstances/geographical locations are described in detail... I don't know.

I mean it's not like that thing in Book 2 where he gets stuck in that literally copy-pasted hallucination loop with the kitchen and rotting food

The time loop in the traveling stone scene was amazing though, made up for the creepy kitchen bigtime.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

\
Note that when Mat fights the Gholam he literally forces it back into a burning building.

Son of a bitch

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Honestly the worst part of the audiobooks is getting into the middle of someone's super twisting inner monologue that can run on for half an hour of reading, and then get to work. When you continue it may be hard to remember just who the hell is thinking right now.

That said, I've run through the WoT audibooks twice in the last few years. It really is perfect for making commutes fly by. The first time I listened (had any exposure to, actually. I thought a 24hr audiobook would be the best choice for a solo roadtrip so EoTW it was) I was driving through remote Western Colorado as the party fled across the world, and it fit so well its like I was there.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bloom posted:

Did anyone in the series ever use a shield?

e: as in an actual physical piece of wood to stop sharp bits of metal from going into their body

Like, every Aiel warrior runs around with a hide buckler and their brace of short spears.

I think some of the Seanchan legions have big ole shields, too.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The legion of the dragon is expressly trained with pavise and crossbow.

drat how did I forget them. Being that it was Mat's idea, I think some units of the Band of the Red Hand did the same.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The prologue to EotW is legit one of the best out there, I can't imagine they wouldn't string everyone in with it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Aviendha killed him after Graendal hit him with Compulsion to worship her.

I hated that bit. Those folks got done so dirty.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Man all that old art is so bad. Like the newer kindle art is so much better.

I updated the Audible app recently and all the books went from glorious terrible 90's cover art to the new minimalist ebook covers. I was very disappointed.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'll always be a fan of the rapid portal stone adventure.

*flash* wut
*flash* :(
*flash* :aaa:
*flash :gonk:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I dunno, the seeing a rainbow flash of colors and a brief insight into what the others are doing continues to be a thing for a long, long time. Rand even wises up and uses that to gather some intel later on, IIRC.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

He often thinks he's still in the Third Age and that Rand is a voice in his head (which, given that time is a Wheel, may be true).

:aaaaa:

Too bad rand never had any crazy visions or dreams of being in the age long past, beyond going through columns and so on. That would be so dope.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I still think the crystal pillars, both backward and forward, are some of the best, most important, and stirring writing of the entire series.

These and the portal stones sequence were amazing bits of writing.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gnoman posted:

True, but it specifically comes up with the Children of The Light, who know full well that Trollocs are real. It is what led to Perrin being declared a Darkfriend in the first book.

Also Perrin kinda went berserk and murdered the poo poo out of a couple Whitecloaks after they killed his wolf friend(s), Trollocs didn't so much come up at first.

E: Super beaten drat I didn't notice how many new posts there were.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Liandrin's casting is spot on.

And Siuan pretty closely fits my mind's eye image i've had for folk from Tear, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

All WoT characters are pretty. Like maybe an innkeeper and Tarmon are the only people described as ugly. It’s like a CW show in them books.

Man I just finished TDR and there was a character definitely described as not being hot as balls, I was gonna post about it but plum forgot.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

There are no beginnings or endings to the discourse of the Mat/Tylin relationship and it's presentation. In one iteration of the conversation, called the 638th discussion by some, a discussion long past, a discussion yet to come, the horse continued being beaten to death. It was not the beginning of the conversation, for there are no beginnings to the turning of the wheel of time, but it was a beginning.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Pleads posted:

I'm on my nth re-listen of the series and either paying more attention or noticing more foreshadowing things, but one of the weirder ones I just realized: in Shadow Rising, when we meet Egeanin in Tanchico, she's dealing with Floran Gelb. He's the dude who gets all the poo poo for letting Rand/Mat/Thom/Trollocs sneak up on Bayle Domon's ship outside Shadar Logoth.

Mother fucker! I knew the name was familiar but I hadn't connected the dots. :doh: Just finished TSR in my own reread. The Aiel history in the crystal pillars always rocks so hard.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You've convinced me that we need a Bayle speak plugin akin to CloudButt.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I was like :raise: on my reread when she first showed up in Book 3 as a Hunter for the Horn, after the whole Great Hunt was over in the previous book. Like ... did he forget to put her in in time

I mean, like a dozen people know the horn has been found and over a thousand signed the pledge of the hunt before setting out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

You sure about that?

Break it break it break it break it break it break it break it

God I hope they do that scene justice.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Agreed. If we don’t get a FLICKER FLICKER I WIN AGAIN LEWS THERIN I’ll be super bummed. The washed out alternate world can be cut.

It would sap a lot of enthusiasm that I have for the show, tbh. I love that flicker flicker sequence so much.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

The dark one won in those visions so if they were real wouldn't that mean he destroyed the wheel? Are alternate timelines a part of the wheel or do they have their own wheel?

It was Ishy's voice taunting Lews Therin in the visions, so there is no true determination that it's the dark one winning in finality. For all we know Logain or another 'false' candidate is selected to take the mantle by the wheel and goes on to pull off a buzzer beater, prophecy be damned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

Twitter threads don't exist for people who don't have Twitter accounts, so posts like this are kind of useless.

Oh that's a conscious choice? I had just been assuming more poo poo broke.