Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vavrek posted:

Oh wow, yeah. His professional headshot made me think "Huh, okay, that could work." (This is my reaction so far to basically all the actors revealed.) Then I pull up this

and I can see him as Fain perfectly.

fake edit:

:same:
I'm looking forward to his cloak.

Honestly excited as hell to see this dude as Fain

e:

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Getting serious Jorah Mormont vibes from the Thom casting

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

mossyfisk posted:

Honestly I'd just have Lews on-screen for when he's talking. It gives you more options for performance and lets you do the classic "cut to a bystander's perspective where he's shouting at nothing" trick.

I really liked Holden and Miller, so it could work, maybe not all the time.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Just make all the magic stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP13Vd4fIoY

Then we good.

Yes, musical numbers must be included.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Barreft posted:

Just make all the magic stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP13Vd4fIoY

Then we good.

Yes, musical numbers must be included.

Rand vs Moridin, S8, E9.

e: shameless self quote, page snipe

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

eke out posted:

yep that looks exactly like liandrin should lol

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I completely forgot Roose Bolton is Tam al'Thor.

And does anyone have the pics of the Fain actor looking insane? There were a few but I'm not finding them.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ba'alzamon serves that pretty well in the first book at least

E: oh I know what you mean now. But I hope they still all get the Ishamael dream fucks. Doubting it though.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 6, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Nah at first Ishamael is going into all their dreams. I don't think Lanfear is even out in book 1 yet.

Not posting this as a gotcha, I just love remembering and talking wot stuff:

"Ishamael begins to haunt the dreams of Rand, Perrin, and Mat, knowing that one of them is the Dragon Reborn. In these dreams, he rants about the fight they've had time and time again. He claims that the Aes Sedai are setting him - whichever boy he appears to - up to be a false Dragon. His aim in these confrontations is to turn the Dragon Reborn to the side of the Dark One. In these dreams, he calls himself Ba'alzamon exclusively, acting as the Dark One. It is here that his eyes and mouth begin shifting into caverns of flame."

E: jesus I can't believe I didn't recognize the joke

Barreft fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 6, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

e: was totally reading aran'gar as aginor, whoops

Barreft fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 18, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

JOHN SKELETON posted:

All three prologue scenes from the last three books with random new characters are great, they set the tone amazingly well. It's really surprising how well Sanderson can do dark, foreboding tone like that when you compare to some of the non-WoT books of his I've read.

Here's a dumb thing that's been bugging me about AMoL now that I think about it: Throughout the Last Battle, Egwene and all the Aes Sedai are just blasting the gently caress out of the Sharan army. I don't think there's a single mention of the three vows in the entire book. At some point Egwene even has to collateral damage some civilians with lightning for whatever reason. Is this a plot hole or are we to assume the Aes Sedai were constantly considering their life in danger?

I haven't read further cause I go for the just post mentality. But from what I remember, the random farmers bit, the tower soldiers son, and isam at the town were all RJ written for the prologue.

E: also it was the literal Last Battle in their minds. So yes they thought they were in danger. Also they were being killed so yes in their minds they were in danger because they were bring shot at and killed. Yes.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 7, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Anyone got a good image for an ebook of A Memory of Light? I hate the dumb pic of Rand with the sword. I need a good one for my TGS+TOM in timeline order plus AMOL.

I've just used: https://i.imgur.com/x9kDaxb.jpg

But now seeing it again just right there I really like it still so I'll probably keep it.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 7, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I just can't believe people are still listening to GRRM in any way.

He's not writing anything. He doesn't give a poo poo, if he did this situation never would have happened. He just can't say that publicly.

If anything his balls are filled to capacity as he's waiting for Cons to open up again.

e: oh poo poo wrong thread lol

Barreft fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 3, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Armauk posted:

It was a teaser. Though, a proper teaser would have shots from the actual show, with, you know, people, even for a few seconds.

Yeah. They've done nothing to hype anyone.

Everyone already hates GOT so that's not a catch anymore to watch a new fantasy.

Whatever. I'm accepting the WOT fps tower defense game as the best thing made for it ever

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

At this point I'm 50/50 on this being an elaborate joke from Bezos who wanted to one up Star Citizen in showing nothing but getting people excited.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

seaborgium posted:

Except functionally it wasn't part of her country. She can claim it on a hundred year old map all she wants, but my point is she and all the queens before her abandoned it. Famine? Two Rivers better find some food Queen's busy playing politics. Trollocs? gently caress that, she's busy getting her bodyguards killed. Bandits? Best form their own militia, no way is she going to help them. Better not have a flag though, she'll hang them for that. She can't say Saldea or Amadicia is in rebellion against her because they have a flag and banded together for their own defense. She doesn't collect taxes from the Two Rivers or help them in any way, shape, or form. They owe her nothing.

They're on their own, and the Queens of Andor made it that way. They aren't part of Andor whatever she says, and antagonizing an area known for it's insane archery and ability to hide in the woods with fanatical devotion to a noble who actually gives a poo poo about them, that just recently became a massive industrial powerhouse, is in a perfect geographical position to cut off her access to Andor's mining industry, with ties to not only a major Borderland crown but has another nation's queen as a sworn vassal seems like an idiotic way to handle the whole situation.

Anyone who gave a poo poo about their people would have owned up to the fact he brought her a giant gift on a plate, and if she'd had half a brain would have realized if he was really rebelling there's no way she could have stopped him. Hell, have Faile spread rumors that they were in contact with her the whole time as a ploy to bring the Two Rivers closer to the crown. Bam, rebellion rumors squashed, she looks good and everyone comes away happy and rich.

Rand hung a dude because of his decrees because he owns up to what he's doing. He's paying for his actions. She just gets other people killed and thinks it's because they owe her.

My main point, though, is that she keeps saying fealty is a two way street followed by promptly ignoring a good chunk of her realm that needs her. The ta'varen needed to learn to let people risk their lives for them, she needed to learn they are actually people. That's why she annoys me so much.

I only read the first 2 sentences. Have you not lived long enough or what

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's weird, but we are so loving lucky to have an ending to the story that I don't see the point to criticize, cause no one ever could have done the job.

Everything coulda been better. But 14 years later at least we have an ending. RJ could be like GRRM and still be alive and just laughing at his fans from his own literal castle. We got it alright.

E: skin crawling is kinda weird to say but w/e

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Invalid Validation posted:

You’re way more optimistic than I am about not showing anything with 4 months to go.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

BigHead posted:

We should spend literally seven thousand pages discussing Perrin seeing that one outcast weirdo, just like Jordan spent literally seven thousand pages telling us about Perrin thinking about that one outcast weirdo.

Aram?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vavrek posted:

When it came out, I was salty about Crossroads of Twilight being the last book I'd read (and it was out before I found the series, so I'd never had to wait for a book before), and wanted actual plot progression. Hearing that the next book was a prequel, well. Prequels aren't plot progression! So I skipped it, until I revisited the series a decade later to read the entire thing.

Moiraine understands a very important loophole in the Three Oaths: :ese:

It's been a long time I forget, what's the loophole?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

His Memory of Light rough draft is still the best

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainsDescendant posted:

I always heard it was going to be Dannil Lewin, he ends up being one of Perrin's go to two rivers guys.

Yeah Dannil was supposed to be the fourth.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Selene

E: didn't read the article, yeah prolly Elayne more than Lanfear

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 14, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Those are rad as hell, awesome sense for character design

I wish Mesaana was that cool

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

We can argue forever but the guy's been dead for 14 years, we'll never know his intent.

But continue on I guess

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Who's the guy in the trailer that's holding an Aes Sedai ring and crying?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

Probably Lews Therin, with his ring of office?

I watched Greene's thing on youtube, and he says according to IMDB it's a warder to some Aes Sedai we know. But I only briefly scanned IMDB and didn't see anything. I thought LTT as well at first.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Really curious how they fit in Thom, Fain, Min, Loial etc who are already cast.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Chomposaur posted:

God I am so excited for this poo poo now, seeing the poo poo I read when I was eight realized in a decent way is just ugh

I'm hoping with them bringing in Logain early they're able to really evoke how terrifying male channelers are in this world cause imo it never really came through with Rand as a PoV character

I guess up until Dumai's Wells at least

I really hope so, look at this fucker:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I figure the night time Logain scene was a flashback of him breaking free, and then gets captured again like in the books.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm lost on the colors complaint.

Ajahs, Tinkers, Gleeman's patchwork cloaks, etc. The series is *very* colorful. If anything it's toned down since it doesn't look like weave's have their own colors.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I didn't even notice the shot of Egwene coming out of the color water had 2 people in the background.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Min is the best

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainsDescendant posted:

Aviendha's literally a Maiden, Elayne is pregnant for a bunch of books, and Min is a seer and all wrapped up in seeing fate happen, it's a pretty clear maiden/mother/crone tripartite thing going on. Someone who knows more about the origins of that trope could probably say more about it

Legion ruled.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CainsDescendant posted:

It had its warts but overall it's probably my favorite bit of "superhero media". I wish more shows just swung for the fences like it did. I also hope Rand vs. Ba'alzamon in the clouds over Falme is exactly like that David vs Farouk fight

Yeah, I want them to show flows of weaves using the colors but people are already complaining it's so colorful.

for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r5jqMfbSx8

That's pretty much how magic in WOT works. A big part was two of the strongest channelers just staring at eachother and try to fight and to everyone else they were just standing there.

e: oh this is the spoiler thread my bad

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 4, 2021

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

I can't believe this is actually happening.

Agreed, I started reading in the 90s, really incredible.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

the discourse on this series is going to be intolerable

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/75056-what-are-mythological-parallels-for-rand-having-3-wives/

quote:

Question

I was wondering, can you talk about how your lead character would have not one but three true loves, and how does your wife feel about that?

Robert Jordan

Um, when I was much younger, before I met Harriet, I had two girlfriends simultaneously, who arranged my dating schedule between them, who was going to date me on which night. They chipped in together to buy me birthday presents and Christmas presents. You know, they just sort of shared me between them, you know. And they had been friends before, and I am not quite sure whether or not they made the decision they were both going to date me or not, on their own, before they first met me, it just came about. But I figured if I could manage two, surely Rand could manage three. Besides there are mythological reasons to have these three women involved with him.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Can't wait for when people realize Tar Valon is a literal vagina design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Male captains constantly unable to find the Northharbor and pressuring the guard to let them into the Southharbor