Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't know any of those actors but the only one that really clashes with the vision in my head is Nynaeve, and that's only because she doesn't have an enormous braid.

Beefcake Lan is extremely correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

"What do you call a group of warders playing video games? A Lan party" :rimshot:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
He starts one chapter with the scarf thing, then flashes back in time and spends like 2 chapters catching up to that moment again. It's extra confusing because they get rides from like 3-4 different farmers in those chapters but only one of them is handing out scarves.

I guess he wanted to mix up the monotony of "R+M arrive in village, play music, get hassled by darkfriends and move to the next village".

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I reread the series a couple of years ago and skipped Nynaeve/Elayne chapters that didn't feature Mat, all Egwene chapters after she got to the rebel Aes Sedai and all of the Faile hunt.

Sure there's a few important things that happen in there but it's just unbearable to read for a second time.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
To be fair desperately running from monsters that he until very recently thought were fairytales is probably not the sort of adventure he'd been daydreaming about.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The VVheel of Time

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

RC Cola posted:

Do you remember his 3 answers? It's been foreshadowed since book 4.

Since book 1 actually. Unless I'm remembering it wrong Min's initial vision about Mat was an eye on a scale.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
There's also the aiel sauna tents which are supposedly co-ed but only seem to include women.

Also I think the third book has a scene where Perrin walks in on Moiraine just chilling naked for some reason. I can't be arsed to look it up and maybe it made more sense but I recall it being a bit of a "wait what?" moment.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I have a feeling they'll make Thom younger than he is in the books. An elderly acrobat/pop star/assassin seems like it'd come across as silly on screen, and having him be the love interest of a much younger looking woman would be weird.

Make him middle aged instead of white-haired old and it'll play better.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm still a fan of Semirhage being all staunch and stoic and not being able to deal with being treated like a child.

That would have been cool if it hadn't come down to spanking. Jordan you drat perv.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
In one of the later books someone makes the point that the oath about not lying actually makes people more suspicious about Aes Sedai. Like everyone always assumes they're doing some wordplay pseudo-lying even if they're just trying to tell the truth.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The Two Rivers should have led Andor and the world in a workers' revolution

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
My right nut is better than Goodkind.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Fighting Ishamael in the sky is sort of a swordfight. Also doesn't he fight Belal for a bit before Moiraine backstabs him with balefire?

Other than that I think he just chops up the occasional shadowspawn with his fire sword.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah she's only like 99,5% awful until that point.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

bloom posted:

I have a feeling they'll make Thom younger than he is in the books.
:smug:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I am still holding out hope for Billy Zane as Ishamael, not gonna lie.

Same tbh. He was the one good thing about Winter Dragon

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Didn't Sanderson break the traveling limitation by going "hey I'll just make a gateway right next to me so I immediately know the area"?

It must be really fun to play any kinda rpg with that guy.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I feel like Jordan took Aes Sedai incompetence a bit too far. I get that they're stuck in a "this is how we've always done it" mindset and that Ishamael and the black ajah have been loving with them, but it gets a bit silly considering the massive amount of discoveries the wonder girls end up making.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Did anyone in the series ever use a shield?

e: as in an actual physical piece of wood to stop sharp bits of metal from going into their body

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
A buckler isn't a real shield :colbert:

Yeah, somehow I forgot all about the aiel. It's still kinda silly that the most noteworthy shield users are the people who fight as skirmishers instead of in formation.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
That never quite sat right with me. Especially considering that LT was paranoid as hell about them.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The main Taimandred thing for me was always the "so called aiel" line.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Moiraine just intended to call them a bunch of loving hicks.

Out of curiosity, can someone who has the ebooks handy tell me if the word "district" gets used past the early chapters?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
He can also explode you with his mind so what are you gonna do?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I tend to give various fantasy names and words their Finnish pronounciation since I have no idea how they'd sound in English.

It works out pretty well since so much fantasy apes Tolkien and Finnish was apparently a big influence on his made up languages.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Also the queen hadn't tried to exert power over the Two Rivers for generations.

I might be wrong about the time but it had been a while anyway.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
When I first properly read the series(not counting reading the first few books as a kid) Winter's Heart was the latest book out. I waited like 1½ years for Crossroads of Twilight.

I was not happy with it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Thinking that "the primitives" couldn't possibly come up with anything new was like the main weakness all the forsaken had. That and constant infighting.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I like the idea of the forsaken failing because of their colossal arrogance but the books did kinda go too far with it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Did Ishamael originally join up because he wanted to end existence or was that something that he came up with as a forsaken?

It's still pretty nutty but at least you could sort of see it from a philosophical point of view.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I wonder if the design of the dragon changes with the ages.

Would really suck to be in the age after the modern day age and have your personal banner be a big titty anime dragon.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The Lord Bude posted:

In 2002 they decided to attract younger readers to the series by putting out a new edition where they split the first (and possibly the second?) book into 2 books to make them less intimidating, and they added a second prologue to the first of these new books, where are much younger Egwene sits down to listen to someone tell the story of the dragon reborn and the breaking. I don't believe that addition was ever added to any subsequent printing of tEotW as a single volume. Also I'm pretty sure the divided books were only ever released in Britain.

The Finnish translations of the books were published divided back in the 90s. I was like 10 when I read them though so I don't recall if that extra prologue was there.

e: I got curious and looked it up. Books 1-3 were split into two parts, 4-6 into three parts, 7-11 into two parts again and apparently the last three were never translated. The translated names are mostly what you'd expect.

bloom fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 9, 2020

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The Glumslinger posted:

Just show the Billy Zane prologue

Winter Dragon was hilariously low budget and scummy but Billy Zane was great and the guy playing Lews Therin wasn't terrible either.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

DarkHorse posted:

danger zone

A bunch of nobles keeping up fragile smiles as Rand yells this at no one

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Lews Therin should be there as a cartoony dragon that only Rand can see.

Happy! meets WoT

I'm down

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It would make sense as a nightmare with one of Thom's stories setting up some of the background so it doesn't feel too infodumpy

Billy Zane should still be there though

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
They dumped the new season of The Expanse at once but The Grand Tour is apparently coming out one episode at a time so I don't think they have consistent model for releasing shows.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't know if I'd read that as an example of Rand being nuts yet. It's more that he has barely any control over the power at that point so him messing with that sa'angreal could go really badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Probably true, but to an observer it amounts to the same thing

To most observers yes, but from what I recall Lanfear has a good grasp on how little about the power Rand knows. She's worried because it's like being in a room with a toddler playing with matches and a box of dynamite.