Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It's a safe bet that Jordan had something in mind for Fain though, at least originally. Could be an idea he had that never got developed further, but there was no reason to have Fain hang around as long as he did just for a completely pointless minor role in the Last Battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mmmm. AMOL:
I never really thought about the similarity between Egwene's and whatever the Queen of Manetheren's name was deaths. Both avenging their Warder, both through overuse of the One Power, and both Warders gone to fight an impossible battle. I might have to look through the series for any other historical similarities.

Main difference being that Egwene's warder was a massive idiot

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
What does jealousy smell of anyway? Does Faile just smell like heinous egg farts to Perrin all the time while she demands he beat the poo poo out of her?

Faile might actually be worse than Elayne, hard as that is to believe.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Anyone who ever had to deal with one banging babe

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The hay cart rides are pointless in themselves but you gotta spend some time setting up Mat and the dagger and Rand's early channelling surely?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It did but that seems like the sort of thing that's more easily communicated in a book than a show. Also the odds of the show getting that far before being cancelled are not great.

bloom fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 23, 2020

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm curious to see how they'll do grey men in the show. I always liked the way they were casually written into background descriptions in the books, it'll be interesting to see how they adapt that on screen.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
A wise old wizard picks up a bunch of hicks from a tiny village and takes them on an adventure because their simple rural nature makes them uniquely suited to surviving a bunch of orcs and beating the big bad who lives in a mountain.

I think there might be some similarities.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Libluini posted:

The only wizard I remember is Moiraine, and she is only in a very technically sense "old". (I always imagined her to look like, super hot, so I didn't ever make the Merlin/Gandalf connection. :v: )

I know Moiraine falls in the "technically 5000 years old" category(although iirc she's not actually that old for an aes sedai) but she is very much the archetypal wizard character in the first book.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Spek posted:

Having 300 different characters just go "big power? wuh happened" one after the other after the other on the other hand gets real old real quick.

CoT was the first book in the series I actually had to wait for and the thing I was most expecting were the reactions to this world-changing event. Having it just be this was disappointing as hell.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't much like Sanderson as a writer and his WoT books have their flaws but he did a decent job of it. Considering what a tough job it must have been to pick up such a long running series from another author you can't really complain much.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I hate that I know this from the rpg but yeah it was specifically an illusion weave. “Spinning the Mosts and Mirrors” or something similar. I think it’s main use later is as a means of public address. It’s probably also technically what Rand and Ishy use when battling in the sky at Falme.

The Tower ambassadors in LoC try to impress Rand with it and LTT just laughs at them in his head.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I played a WoT MUD imaginatively named Wheel of Time MUD for a short while but it was a bit too dense for young me to get into. The one character I kinda got off the ground got murdered in a pvp trolloc raid which was cool but also made it clear just how much time I would have to put into it to get to the cool stuff.

Apparently it's still online and has at least some kind of a playerbase.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

COOL CORN posted:

- Mat: But now in TGH the dagger is gone and he's back to being just... a normal guy? Dunno at all where his story is going. He seems to be the least interesting of the Three Amigos.
What's Mat going to do being a milquetoast sidekick?

:allears:

Please post more as you progress with the series. As someone who's been familiar with it for over two decades at this point I always enjoy an opportunity to see it through fresh eyes.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It's fortunate that Jordan wasn't into anything weirder than spanking.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Arad Doman Domani dominated by damane from Toman Head.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just realized: he's definitely gonna bang lanfear in the TV show, isn't he

It'll be a dream scene and we'll spend multiple pages arguing if it was tel'aran'rhiod

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Let's just say that booze cruises with topless waitresses were a huge hit in the 4th age.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

RJ is very deliberately trying to make sure that nothing in his word choice violates the "willing suspension of disbelief" -- everything is being written in third person limited, theoretically from a given character's viewpoint. Matrim Cauthon doesn't know the word "politics" because it isn't a word in his world because his world isn't a democracy. He knows the phrase "game of houses" instead because it's a game played by houses not by cities or peoples -- no polis here.

Sanderson just misses the cue.

"He shook his head. Politics did not interest him."

"Mat shook his head. "I do not care about politics, Master Gill. It's Gaebril I want to know about.""

From The Dragon Reborn :eng101:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Most also have warders following them around. You know, fanatically loyal, best warriors in the world and not bound by any rules.

Lan frequently lies for Moiraine in the early books and has definitely shanked some inconvenient people for her in the past.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of the hammer, the whole "axe = weapon" thing always bugged me slightly when axes have plenty of uses as tools. Sure the one Perrin has is a fighting axe but it still doesn't quite fit the aiel sword logic.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Khizan posted:

I hate Egwene the most.

Sure, Elayne is objectively the worst. No argument there. But at least she's always around Birgitte and Aviendha, and the Aiel Wise Ones, and Dyelin. Egwene, while less terrible, has a worse supporting cast and she has that "proves her worthiness for the Amyrlin Seat because she can withstand repeated spankings" bullshit going on and I just can't loving stand her.

Despite all their flaws Egwene and Elayne both have one big thing going for them:

They're not Gawyn

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Khizan posted:

Gawyn is a big part of why Egwene is my least favorite.

I've been on and off listening to the wot spoilers podcast linked near the beginning of this thread and an interesting idea they float is that Jordan's original plan was to have Egwene hook up with Galad rather than Gawyn. Would have made for a better relationship imho.

Gawyn is just the worst

Johnny Joestar posted:

a small detail i constantly enjoy is the fact that two rivers bows are apparently loving monstrous and i can imagine one of them splitting through a dude's armor easily

The gently caress do they hunt in the Two Rivers anyway? They have insanely powerful long bows despite not having been involved in a war since Manetheren days. Pretty sure Eye of the World mentions that bears are fairly rare so the bows are serious overkill for whatever they usually shoot.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Johnny Joestar posted:

imagine trying to be the person telling everyone with bows that are taller than they are that maybe they don't need those bows that are taller than they are anymore

I liked the bit in The Great Hunt where some shienarans mock Rand's bow like "dude are you gonna hunt rabbits by hitting them over the head with that giant club?"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I always thought it was a riff on the english longbow, since the two rivers seemed very quaint English farming land-y

Going by my extremely shaky knowledge of history there used to be a law in England saying that people(or at least some % of people) had to train with longbows. Two Rivers folks just do it for funsies.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Make it a cuendillar skillet that doesn't transfer any heat for something even more useless

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The way Sanderson writes combat generally isn't a great fit for WoT. Dude loves powergaming way too much.

Perrin is the one exception since the world of dreams is pretty much built for that kind of stuff.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I think Sanderson did as fine a job as could be expected for the most part. The difference in combat depictions is just one of those things that always stood out for me. That and Mat of course.

Admittedly I'm not a fan of Sanderson so the difference might be more jarring to me than some others.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought she gave them the ol' spicy frying pan

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Do darkhounds and grey men have some way to fast travel?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Man every one of my regular read threads is like people on a sinking ship with no lifeboats

Anyway before we all go under the waves let me just say one thing: gently caress Gawyn

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Vavrek posted:

We were talking a while ago about favorite moments and I mentioned Mat with the lemon, but this one is really good:

That was a great way to show that a blademaster is A Big Deal. Kinda like trollocs and myrddraal being a threat it's one of those things that got lost when fighting became focused mostly on channeling and large scale battles.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Prairie Bus posted:

Forkroot affects both men and women, so I’d assume they’d start dosing every man in their domain and then summarily execute any man who reacted to it

That would still leave them without a force of trained male channelers, which other nations would presumably get once they got over the taboo of men channeling.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Spek posted:

Agreed

This mostly bugged me cuz I always wanted to see Perrin bump into Egwene in T'A'R and have her start teaching him. Or even have her direct him to the Wise Ones who have to figure out how to fit a man who can dreamwalk into their teaching hierarchy. That could have been real fun.
Especially with the books having a bit of a "what if matriarchy instead of patriarchy?" theme. Having the first woman in a traditionally male dominated profession is a common enough story archetype, it would have been neat flip that and would have worked well in WoT I think.

Instead he does nothing of relevance or interest for 5 or so books then becomes the worlds best dreamwalker in what feels like an afternoon. Which was doubly annoying because the stuff we see him and Slayer doing makes their interactions from the Two Rivers story arch seem really inconsistent in retrospect. Slayer should have utterly destroyed Perrin back then based on what we see him able to do.

I'd admit "it's only a weave" was really good though.

I don't know how much Egwene could have really taught Perrin though. His understand of TAR is very instinctual and combat-focused, and he is pretty much the most powerful combat dreamer as early as Shadow Rising(other than Slayer). Egwene could never have done "it's only a weave" because she views things from the perspective of a channeler so to her balefire is the ultimate weapon. The Wise Ones could own him but that's because they wouldn't fight fair.

What Egwene could have helped him with is the TAR-adjacent stuff like interpreting dreams and visions, but none of that is ever that important to Perrin. Also I agree that Slayer should have easily wrecked Perrin in Shadow Rising but that can be attributed to Sanderson doing his thing in the later books.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

UltraRed posted:

until the hour of their death.

Was there ever an explanation for why they included that bit in the oaths?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I always felt it was at least implied, but Masema was definitely being influenced by one of the Forsaken, right?

The spoilers podcast dudes have a theory that one of them is loving with his dreams. Something about a bright light claiming to be the Dragon telling him what to do, I forget the details

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The Glumslinger posted:

I thought he had been driven insane by his time guarding Paden Faine in Fal Dara

I don't think he was guarding Fain. It was two other guys who's behavior Egwene mentions changing, iirc they get chopped up and used to decorate the walls when Fain is rescued

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
You can see how growing up with Galad as a brother could be annoying, but he's cool. Plus with Elayne and Gawyn being the idiots they are, Galad probably had to snitch on them to stop them from jumping off the castle walls or repeatedly sticking their hands into fires.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
To be fair to the fantasy inquisition they're up against actual witches, a significant portion of who are actual devil worshippers. Where they go wrong is messing with regular people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Invalid Validation posted:

Lanfear aided Rand and wanted to replace the Creator. That’s like capital T treason and she got to come back. But I guess he was severed from the DO so maybe that’s the reason.

Did the DO know that about her though? It's not omniscient is it?