Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Enough people were hung up on the scarves thing that it got its own entry in the WOTFAQ!

click here to be taken back to pure 90s Internet gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Vavrek posted:

I have the following complaint, I am sure shared by all other audiobook listeners:

Bayle Domon, Arad Doman, the Domani, the damane.

:argh:

We don’t tolerate Beidomon erasure in this thread.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Torrannor posted:

Also, as was pointed out in the thread earlier, RJ introduced the Kinwoman who was unusually good at making shields long before Sanderson got the reins, so I don't know what's so bad about Androl.

It wasn’t the talent that was annoying it was the way that Sanderson made everything he did seem like an exploit by a rules lawyer who played too much Portal. Like...you can do gateways from anywhere eh? Here’s one from the center of the earth and it’s sideways so all the lava pours on you!!! maybe infinite vertical gateways to get you to terminal velocity and then squish!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

One thing that I think is a constant in facile criticism of WoT is "women aren't allowed to do that", so factor in that "can't rape a guy" and "women aren't allowed to do X" and there's probably a ton of dissonance in how those sequences are viewed.

I would love to read a comparison of WoT's treatment of gender vs Naomi Alderman's The Power (two books I had never thought to compare before this moment).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I’ve read all these books a couple times through but not for 20 years or so (other than the new releases). I have been listening to great hunt on audio and it’s such a different experience it’s almost like going through everything for the first time. I also speed read so being forced to go through everything slowly is a big difference as well. Listening to Nynaeves accepted test was really harrowing in a way that reading wasn’t.

It’s been really fun but I cannot imagine trying to get through the Salidar / white tower plot lines again on audio. Goongrats to anyone who was able to do that.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

If anything I'd be more afraid of missing nuances and details in an audiobook. I read extremely quickly but I don't skip or use speedreading hacks.

I haven’t ever had an audiobook like TGH. The readers are really spectacular, they bring different energy to all the characters such that you can really fall into the drama. I totally get the praise others have given them itt. Really great stuff.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

rndmnmbr posted:

I can't do audio books for the same reason I can't do podcasts: I will inevitably start reading something and tune out on the audio.

I’ve been listening on long runs and while driving, otherwise I am the same.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

socialsecurity posted:

It's like you never even finished that one chapter about the wayward recruits or you are going out of your way to misrepresent what's going on.

he might be exaggerating to comic effect (another thing BS can’t do because he has no sense of humor)

was listening to the TGH chapter of rand at the Cairhein cocktail party and laughing out loud as he stumbles through getting hit on by multiple scheming noblewomen and saying way more than he intended. Subtle but hilarious.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

silvergoose posted:

I mean, look, people in real life have similar or identical names, I've really not understood this complaint.

people also take dumps but it would be weird if RJ spent a lot of time describing bowel movements. books aren't real life

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

nice catch, honestly between that and the ceaseless insane psychological and physical torture it’s pretty incredible she wasn’t completely insane at the end of the book

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Now listening through Dragon Reborn for the first time and being forced to take it slowly rather than speeding through, and I’m realizing what an absolute clinic it is in establishing Mat as a character.

Up to this point he’s basically an anonymous ticking clock who liked pranks and is defined mostly as being more skeptical of Rand than Perrin is. But here, the first scene with him conscious is the legendary “eats a whole chicken and a pitcher of wine” scene while he thinks (again, incredible that it’s a legendary scene where it’s just one character pacing around and thinking and eating). Then you have his chat with the Amyrlin and Lanfear, and immediately following it’s him getting shut down by fake-Else and whooping Galad and Gawyn with a stick. Maybe three chapters with no wasted moments that completely define his character, establish his key traits, and put the reader squarely in his corner.

Really great stuff.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ConfusedUs posted:

I posted my thoughts on my re-read last winter/spring

yeah and i've been posting thoughts on relistening to the audiobooks...content is content

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Almost done with book 4 and it is hugely noticeable how much more the man/woman relationship stuff ramps up from book 3. The plot is so satisfying and the high moments are so high but they just keep hitting the same beats. The other major flaw is the Tanchico plot is so obviously unnecessary.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Gonna be really upset if we don’t get the Perrin Goldeneyes in the Two Rivers plotline. Just listened to the battle chapter and it’s so good.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

One thing I hadn’t thought about or picked up on was the extent to which rands weird guilt about women dying is linked to LTT’s memories / personality bleeding through. It makes a lot more sense if you recall that the dominant memory of his past self is brutally massacring all the women (and men) in his household...

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I’d argue TGH is the most SF influenced - there are like 3 separate explorations of parallel worlds - the portal stone flickering, the entire interlude in the empty world, and the accepted tests that occur, which definitely is unusual in a fantasy book like this.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Age long past! Age yet to come! Age long past! Age yet to come!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Would surprise me if Julin makes it in. I skipped books 7-10 in my listening tour of the books but in 1-6 and KoD so far Julin doesn’t do anything interesting other than be backup for better characters. They could just have Mat go into the Stone alone and Thom do everything with Nynaeve and Elayne. Hurin at least has the interesting sniffing talent to distinguish him.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

jng2058 posted:

Ultimately, for someone like Juilin you probably need to either write him out after his big betrayal/redemption arc in The Dragon Reborn or you need to increase his role somehow. That's what they seem to be doing with Logain....increasing his role in the first season, at least.

His arc is that he gets mind controlled and then decides to help mat because he feels bad approximately 10 pages later. Agree that the wise woman works perfectly well (or just have the BA wait in their room at some inn).

I think RJ just liked writing about his conical hat.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

:dafuq:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It might be kiwi slang, its the female equivalent of a hard-on

:dafuq:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

in crossroads of twilight there's a chapter where they turn hairdressers to the shadow through a 12x12 circle so that lil myrdraal can get their haircuts

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

It's very weird how specific and descriptive this guy got writing about people blinded by the literal light.

He's one of the best authors in SF and well worth reading!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

No, like, super fixated with the specific, excessive, unnecessary physiological changes instead of just having like, burnt out eye sockets.

Also posting in the RJ thread about authors being super fixated on specific, excessive and unnecessary things ftw.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

wtf who gave everyone power level numbers

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Data Graham posted:

I guess all credit to him for not putting it in the text.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this why you need to put in your will to burn your notes

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Gnoman posted:

The power levels really feel like something that only existed as an author aid, and should not have been made public.

just picturing the asha'man hanging around a table talking about how they only date 6's or better

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

DarkHorse posted:

This is what makes the books so rich to me, and I'm doing consciously with my reread. Everyone being an unreliable narrator is a recurring theme though some characters are more obvious than others

This really stuck out to me when I listened to the books last year. Nynaeve is so constantly emphasized as unreliable - she's constantly reassuring herself that she's being reasonable, doing the right thing, etc., as people all around her are just gaping at her. Ditto Rand - to echo what VoM said, Rand's actions that seem to us as normal might seem very different to someone who's raised and educated to believe that men need to defer to women and to Aes Sedai in particular. So Rand asserting himself as a person capable of his own agency to Moiraine, in Egwene's eyes, is shocking egotism.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1372228757323276289

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

What you said but more so. I think you can guess a lot from them casting Rosamund Pike -- make this GOT except all the in-Westeros anti-woman stuff is directed at men in WoT. Deemphasize the rigid binary construct and emphasize the fact that women are in charge and how that impacts society and you still have something relatively fresh, especially for TV.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

DarkHorse posted:

The Golden Crane flies to Tarmon Gai'don!

absolutely the loving best

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

rip to a true #girlboss

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1387451712584052738

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just want to say how much better that read through is than goddamn Leigh Butler's.

perhaps this tvtropes link will convince you otherwise? *bangs head against desk*

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

this is a universe where there is a creator (who has actual speaking lines) and a real live evil one, i thought the last time we had this debate the most satisfying resolution (without commenting on whether or not its offensive on its own) was that the creator/dark one assign people to bodies that match the gender they identify with and therefore you don't have people identifying as male born into female bodies. the only time this varies is where the dark one is explicitly messing around with his own servant.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

eke out posted:

i mean I think this is the root of HA's concern, that "a world where trans people don't exist because otherwise it would literally be a mistake made by God" probably will attract the wrong people's interest

Definitely down with banning such people with extreme prejudice if they wander into the thread looking for a place to get excited about that sort of thing.

I also am genuinely curious as to how trans people view a fictional universe where God exists and perfectly sorts people, before birth, into the body that matches their gender identity.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Johnny Joestar posted:

literally the only actual end result of whatever the show does and/or whatever discussions people get into because of it is that trans people are more or less going to get walked all over and ignored in regards to anything anyone has to say, because that's just how it ends up going in every single situation where this ends up being a 'thing'

it's more or less expected at this point

It would be really cool if this thread isn't like that !

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

i've been (and remain) pretty agnostic on the tv series although i like the cast, but this tagline is hilarious

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1410266689510416385?s=20

i don't have the series committed to memory or anything but THERE ARE NEITHER BEGINNINGS NOR ENDINGS TO THE WHEEL OF TIME

(ok nice to confirm that it's coming this year...)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

bloom posted:

Why wouldn't legends have a beginning? I don't get it.

drat you bloom, i had to go back and look and i guess RJ says the wind was a beginning, even though the WoT has neither endings nor beginnings...fine!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

How are u posted:

The show is saved.

:worship: