Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mad Hamish posted:

I cannot for the life of me recall them being mentioned save for the prologue in one of the books.

It's the prologue of the titular book, even! Definitely the worst title of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atlas Hugged posted:

Does Nynaeve's ability to sense people close by who she has healed ever get referenced outside of book 1? It's a minor plot point but I can't remember it ever coming up again.

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cryptoclastic posted:

I’ve been listening to the podcast that was posted earlier in the thread (thanks!) and they talk about this. I’m sort of amazed that Jordan had all of this stuff mapped out so early.

Yes, very weird that in a book based on the cyclical nature of history as a cosmic fact and with characters obviously named after Arthurian heroes and Norse gods that one of them was already patterned after Odin.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Lord Bude posted:

Whitecloaks are worse. The Seanchan are an awful, twisted culture, albeit not without similarities to real world historical societies, but the Whitecloaks hit closer to home - They are essentially a stand in for the Christian fundamentalists that are a very real, very ugly threat that we can see existing around us in the world today. They represent hatred, intolerance and bigotry in a way that none of the other antagonists do; and that has a stronger impact than traditional 'fantasy villain' archetypes.

What weird land do you live in where Christian fundamentalists are a real threat? I confess I don't understand the point of reading fantasy when you're living one.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trasson posted:

Well, there's that obscure hellhole known as the USA...

What threat do "Christian fundamentalists" pose there?

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inspector 34 posted:

BTW, I'm really glad this thread is here! I started reading WOT when I first found the previous book thread and was kind of following along with it for a while but by the time I had anything to contribute it had been closed. I'm about a quarter of the way through book 9 on my reread now.

Just LOL if you aren’t a named contributor in an early version (say the first four or six books) rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan FAQ.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eke out posted:

yeah if Shohreh Aghdashloo doesn't get one of the big older female channeler roles, they hosed up

Age is wrong, but Siuane Sanche. Boats instead of profanity.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sab669 posted:

I'm lukewarm on the books, but very excited for the TV series and yea, I hope it does well so that Amazon funds the poo poo out of it. Lots of stuff will translate very well to the screen.

What was the book where Rand is in the box and then the Ashaman break him out, I think, and then they just make like a giant circle of explosions that just chunk every body coming up at them? That will be so goddamn :black101: and I'd love to see it.

Lord of Chaos.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mat Cauthon posted:

The Boys, Marvelous Ms Maisel, a couple of others. Isn't the Expanse an Amazon show now too?

I’ve never heard of The Boys, I’m not sure Maisel’s quality and Emmy buzz translates to viewers, and the Expanse is such a big hit that it was cancelled and picked up as Bezos’ vanity project. None are big hits in a GoT sense, certainly.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also two books per season seems totally absurd.

For real, book 10 is one episode, tops.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 18, 2019

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How mad do gender theorists get about Newtonian physics? Same energy.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I do like how flawed all of the Forsaken are, and the only one that learns a drat thing is Demandred. Instead of just being mad at Lews Therin he goes and gets the biggest army and learns to be the best fighter. The rest, to one degree or another, die because they are at each other's throats.

Well, not Ishamael. He knew all the infighting was pointless no matter how it turned out, boy just wanted some honest, principled cosmic nihilism.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RC Cola posted:

I read it as LTT giving them honors, but more of a "here is the second place Nobel Peace Prize. I would give you the first but I already won it. But you still did pretty good champ."

They wouldn’t get the Peace Prize until after they’d gone over to the Shadow and conducted some atrocities, though.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

loving lost it at those faces

The only thing that saves this from trash somehow elevates it to perfection.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

buffalo all day posted:

Enough people were hung up on the scarves thing that it got its own entry in the WOTFAQ!

click here to be taken back to pure 90s Internet gold

I see that my name has survived in the contributors section.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Huh I could've sworn there was a h5 thing, but hi fellow contributor!

Please tell me you're Timothy Bruening and it was all one huge troll.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's hilarious to compare ASoFaI fandom's problems, perpetual yearly hope for a book that will never come out, to old Jordan fandom problems, several books in a row released yearly or nearly so like clockwork but with nothing happening and crap like the Faile kidnapping lingering forever.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The very strong case for Elayne's place in the cellar is that of the terrible characters she has a lot of pages but very few redeeming scenes. The other baddies at least have a bright spot or two or don't inflict pain for as long.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1192124485022863361

Well, GoT didn't get him type cast as a bad guy, at least.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fan fiction is extremely cringe.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It is not a thing I am interested in but fan fiction is a way for people to be creative using characters and ideas they're familiar with. Lots of successful people got their start exploring their creativity by imitation and using elements of things they love.

Yes, and it's extremely cringe. Like anime and Christian rock.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

That kinda goes to what gets my hackles up about Rand, where even if we accept that he's an insane megalomaniac with schizophrenic delusions and all that, he's still presented for the bulk of the series as this superman who picks up ninja swordfighting skills in like two months and can do everything from naval tactics to grain distribution to remaking the social order of multiple kingdoms that put him on the throne (never mind being the Best Channeler Ever) because he's just so awesome. Like a kid's idea of a superhero who has ALL the powers, bigger and better than the powers his little brother is pretending to have. He goes straight from 18-year-old sheepherder who doesn't even wonder about the outside world to World Bestriding Gold Plated Hero in what I can only read as some kind of wish fulfillment for a certain kind of reader for whom the "everyman who saves the world" trope isn't fundamentally about the everyman succeeding despite being unsuited to the task, but rather that it proves that any everyman can be a galactic emperor if he just bootstraps his poo poo up and climbs the drat obstacle course wall.

E: but this is off the "artistic merit" topic and just my personal hobby-horse, so pay no mind

Weird that fate didn't choose someone other than a freak genetic superman to play the most important role in recurring world history and his birth parents weren't some randos. Probably didn't hurt that he may have subconsciously (and later consciously) benefited from the knowledge of a hundreds of years old world class expert on the same.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I always just thought it was a slightly modified form of Ygraine / Igraine.

The full name is the relevant reference, Egwene Al'Vere is definitely Guinevere. The first name might have some some additional tweaking to make it match something else, but that's secondary.

Or he literally just added an E, a space, and an apostrophe.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always remember the two Aes Sedai pulling on Mat's arms in the Tarasin Palace and him interrupting with a "ladies, there's no need to fight, there's plenty of me to go around." I definitely found that chuckle worthy at the time, especially since one of them was that Illianer red ajah one.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silvergoose posted:

As I mentioned, that's gotta be the longest, stupidest mystery I've ever seen in a book.

In case people don't recall, there's an inn in illian called easing the badger, mentioned in book 2 as "no one, even the innkeeper, knows what it means".

Then in, what, book 11? 12? The book where mat meets up with Perrin after going to the tower. Something like mat captures a badger in a bag, and then at the end of the chapter, Perrin laughs and eases the badger.

That's it.

It was treated as a masturbation joke on rev.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan for years and years after the first reference (one guy got it as his parenthetical nom de guerre in the FAQ), and group members brought it up regularly with Harriet and RJ in correspondence, signings, and similar encounters.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cultureulterior posted:

Rasfwrj! I hung out there!

I posted way too much there in college.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ulmont posted:

:same: I even went to a meetup. I regret most things about that.

I went to several. I picked up a girlfriend for a while, but the group was mostly cringe.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but that's not how the "wyn" in Gawyn would be pronounced

Is it?

Am I going crazy

No, you're right. There's no way to get a Dwayne rhyme out of this.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How are u posted:

The Witcher was just Xena with a big budget and a production team that clearly really cared about nailing the tone and while it wasn't revolutionary it was really fun and good.

e: also, in re-reading it is insane how many paragraphs upon paragraphs are spent describing cloths, buildings, rooms, and furniture. It's loving nuts. In the show its going to just be...a dress. Or a table. Even if the costumes and props are 100% hand crafted recreations of their book descriptions spare no expense they're still just going to be a minor and unremarkable thing in the show.

Give me two episodes wholly devoted to Elaida’s figurines and the history of the Amyrlin triptych or give this show an early death.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silvergoose posted:

Shadar Logoth is such a great part of the first book, so many creepy setpieces and stuff.

Where else can you meet a guy named Deathdeath.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

They can blast dark friends iirc

The issue is “what’s a Darkfriend.” A white Ajah Aes Sedai subject to this oath can’t hurt random Whitecloaks, the average Whitecloak bound by this oath could slash up every Aes Sedai he meets with no problem, just like your average SA poster subject to a “only kill Nazis” oath would be able to chop up any Republican and be confused why others with functioning brains subject to the same oath can’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inspector 34 posted:

Good of the oaths to recognize the desperate situation the world was in.

Lord, bind me to this oath, but not if inconvenient.