Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So when Androl pulls the lava from below Dragonmount what are the symbolic associations :thunk:

Magma is stored in the balls.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh come on, I think you're reading a bit much into this. There's just no way he'd be so blatant about

Welp.
Which harbor did Egwene close off, again? What's the Ogier Grover represent?

It's also a pretty common island formation in rivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

How are u posted:

It's the first I've ever heard of it and yeah, loving this. Everything gets stupid with numbers tacked on.

The d20 rpg doesn't even mention innate power cap levels. That just uses caster level plus int and wis bonus.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Game of Thrones introduced instant travel without magic, with some pretty terrible results.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Spek posted:

They explicitly said that a weave unravelling like that has unpredictable effects. I think we can probably infer that they wouldn't be able to reproduce it exactly.

Did we ever learn for sure if it was the gateway bomb or the bowl of the winds that caused the power to feel weird in the area for a few weeks(months?) afterwards?

I figured it was from the gateway collapse, that the power oddity was the equivalent of a nuclear bomb leaving fallout all over. But I don't remember any real details from those scenes anymore.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Also destroy the dark one AND the Creator and also have the most powerful man in the world enthralled by her

It's good to have goals.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

Content: show looks aesthetic as hell, much more Tolkien than GRRM (which matches it's inspiration I guess :sun: )

Yeah, I'm getting a lot of LOTR vibes from the trailer, especially the Emond field's scenes. Which fits the book 1 aesthetic just fine.

It looks like the show is using the Aes Sedai ceremonial dress for everything so far? Makes sense for the scenes we've seen so far, except for capturing Logain. Meeting the Amyrlin Seat in the White Tower would be be using ceremonial outfits, the same way military, religious, and political organizations do now. Same for doing a public parade of a captured Logain, they're showing off. Doesn't make as much sense tromping through the woods or capturing Logain, but considering how often aes sedai did flaunt their ajah colors in the book, and which ajah are being shown, I'm willing to give them this.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Barreft posted:

Yeah, I want them to show flows of weaves using the colors but people are already complaining it's so colorful.

I was disappointed by the weaves not being colored, too. I wanted to see strands and weaves, not just magic smoke flowing around.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Torrannor posted:

I think both heavily explained magic, as well as more "mysterious" magic can work very well. But they must fit the story. Magic being something unexplained that just some wizards did works very well in Lord of the Rings and the First Law books, for example. Thoroughly explained magic makes some of the plot twist in Brandon Sanderson's books obvious in hindsight, but still mindblowing when you first read them.

"Technobabble" overexplained magic fails in the Sword of Truth books (like so many else in the series), while Rothfuss writes books that have both detailed explanation (Sympathy) and work in the classical mystical way (Naming), and he falls flat with both.

WoT I think necessitates going from a fairly unexplained magic system to becoming quite a bit more technical once our PoV characters reach the relevant stages in their lives. First they were outsiders seeing the Aes Sedai (and Forsaken) do amazing stuff, then they became the mages themselves and obviously had very different internal thoughts about channeling.

In WoT, magic is a part of the world, and is used by characters as a tool to accomplish goals. The text tells us about that tool, and how it's used, and we learn from character what the experience of using that tool is like. We see new uses of it as finding new ways to use an existing tool, like chainsaws being used to make sculptures instead of just chopping down trees. The possibility was always there, but someone was the first to do it, and afterwards, it becomes another task that tool can accomplish.

In the Sword of Truth series, magic is deux ex machina. It simply does what is necessary for the plot. There's no connection to previous uses, no growth or consistent restrictions. Just the need for something to be solved by magic allows magic to solve that problem.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Amazon has a merch store up but it's mostly kinda lame

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/0BC43353-8250-4BAF-88F9-93C728F3EE38

No rings, no swords, no tainted daggers that will drive you mad

Those are some really lovely designs.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Something interesting that I don't think I've seen anyone comment on but seems pretty significant: Liandrin's statement that "when men touch the Power, they make it filthy"

Is that a reimagining of how the Taint works, or a misconception on Liandrin's part? Either way it's a pretty big head-fake to throw out as literally the first piece of worldbuilding a viewer gets.

A character saying something does not make it true.

Or you fell for the classic Aes Sedai trap of hearing what they expect, not what the said. Liandrin has no real knowledge of how the taint works on the source (almost no one does), and she did not say men cause the taint. She said they made it filthy. She could think anything men touch is filthy, and that being filthy is not the taint, just a derogatory way of describing something unsavory.

Maybe she does believe it, maybe in the red ajah notes and musing on the insane men they've been fighting for thousands of years, there's a theory that the power is pure until a man touches it. Making men the source of the taint. The equivalent of geocentric planetary models looking at the same patterns, and coming up with the insane interpretation as an explanation.

Or it's a slightly glib, but Aes Sedia workable comment that lets the viewer understand both Liandrin's views on men, and that them channeling causes the insanity we just saw in that scene. All that in a few efficient words, without worrying about technical details, because it's going into the short cold open scene. Not into a encyclopedia.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

seaborgium posted:

Those are all good scenes.

For Mat being good with a quarterstaff, there's no reason they couldn't have still had yearly quarterstaff contests he was good at. Play it off as the one thing his dad taught him when he was younger. Plus they still haven't done any of the Lan teaching the boys how to fight yet, they kind of skipped it so having a bit in the Borderlands would work well.

One of the extra scenes in xray is about the best warder being beaten by a farmer with a quarterstaff. So I'd say there's a pretty good chance that we're going to see Mat beat some rear end.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I think maybe my favourite youtube video of all time (I think I am slightly distressed to discover that I have) was this one where a guy does a teardown on one of those fancy juicero juice presses or whatever it is. Money shot: he finally gets to the gear train, opens it up to discover these MASSIVE, pristine slabs of metal, these enormous, beautiful gears in there. Incredibly overbuilt.

You could probably call that a reaction video, I guess.

He turned out to be a bit of a chud, but that's AvE, the video's title is "BOLTR: Juicero, Cold Press Juicer for Rich Weirdos". He used to do some really good tear down videos, with nice information about the materials and design process. And yeah, the Juicero is an amazing machine. Actual super high quality parts for some juice bags you could squeeze with your hands, lol.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

i definitely agree that they might touch on channeling sickness in next episode. this one was kind of light on content with rand so there wasn't much opportunity to throw in anything for him, so next week's might go into that. also you have to consider that him bashing down the door was relatively small in the grand scheme of things. with nynaeve i definitely feel like some poo poo is going to go down if she went through that of all things.

I think they're gonna keep it a mystery by having a few of the characters get some kind of sickness in the next episode.

Rand and Nynaeve get channeling sickness, Mat has dagger sickness, and Perrin has his wound. Egwene, I dunno. Rand is probably going to blame it on being scared shitless and running for his life from a fade.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

cailleask posted:

Of the two ter’angreal paintings, one is of a woman in the white tower and the other is of what looks like a river in Tear. So I’d buy that they’re meant to be literally for Traveling between those two locations.

Haven't both the making of ter'angreal and gateways been lost the whole time the tower existed?

Or did Moiraine put a sticker on the cool love shack artifact? I'd guess this one, since linked gateway artifacts fit with other misc AoL toys we see throughout the books.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Hollismason posted:

How long does the Faile kidnapping last because I'm already tired of it.

About 47 books.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Brolander posted:

“They would not survive the ways”

(Cut to horses in the ways, under attack by machin shin)

YOU ARE A BAD HORSE
YOU ARE SLOW
YOU THREW THAT LITTLE BOY ON PURPOSE

ANTS

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well that one green Aes Sedai sister and her wardens were not monogamous.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why was LTT the Dragon Reborn as well? Shouldn't he just be the Dragon.

Every Dragon is also the Dragon Reborn as long as there's a memory of the Dragon left.

Intruder posted:

Finally getting around to watching. Maybe I'm crazy but I absolutely do not remember in the books anyone predicting that sealing the dark one would taint saidin prior to creating the seals. Also in his time I thought LTT was the dragon, not the dragon reborn

Yeah, that felt extremely wrong to me. It's not a surprise apocalyptic retaliation to punish desperate hubris if you knew it was going to happen, the it's a choice to start that apocalypse out of desperation.

I was expecting that whole cold open to transition to the book 1 prologue at some point, so just getting what we got was disappointing. I bet the book prologue is being saved for when we're shown that Ishmael isn't the dark one. Because it would give the game away to have the same actor teasing an insane LTT after we're seen him pretending to be the dark one. The show still has to pretend that he's the the personification of the TDO for a bit longer. We'll probably get some LTT flash backs, including the strike at shayol ghoul spread out over a few seasons before showing him and LTT together when we find out that he's just a forsaken working his plans to reunite the Dragon and TDO.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Harton posted:

Yeah I figure the wheel has to turn a bunch again until someone wants to “drill for power into this weird bore thingy”

6 ages. It's opened towards the end of the 2nd age, patched, then sealed correctly at the end of the 3rd age. Somewhere in between the 4th and 2nd ages, magic is lost, our age comes and goes, and magic is rediscovered before it's used to punch a hole in that almost perfectly sealed bore again.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The timeline I think about from our world is how we remember the tale of Sodom destroyed by god's wrath compared to finding a bronze age city that was destroyed by a meteor air burst 3600 years ago. There's at least 2 ages (ours and AoL) that do scientific exploration and archeology, so there has to be enough time and disruption between those that we're not finding AoL cities under 2ft of dirt. That timeline of ages lasting 1700 or 300 years is just too short, roughly 3000+ years per an age makes way more sense in keeping them distinct and far enough apart to forget everything, even when we're looking for the past.

Edit: with probably one long primitive age after humans really gently caress things up more than usual.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 3, 2022

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Stuff like the breaking of the world would absolutely trash paleontology and geology unless they also have billions of years to repeat the time before humans.

Yeah, but there needs to be another one between the 3rd age and our age, so we're not finding ancient cities on the top of mountains.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Zore posted:

Yeah, Dragonmount alone would be a completely out of context problem. Mountains do not naturally form solo with hundreds of miles of relatively flat plains surrounding them.

Except when they do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutter_Buttes

quote:

The Sutter Buttes (Maidu: Histum Yani or Esto Yamani, Wintun: Olonai-Tol, Nisenan: Estom Yanim) are a small circular complex of eroded volcanic lava domes which rise as buttes above the flat plains of the Sacramento Valley in Sutter County, Northern California. They are situated just outside Yuba City in the northern part of the state's Central Valley.

Referred to as the world's smallest mountain range,[2] the Sutter Buttes has as its highest point the summit of South Butte, at 2,122 ft (647 m), which is also the highest point in Sutter County.[3]

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Remember how a bunch of countries pretended COVID wasn’t a thing for months? It’s like that.

Or how states in severe danger from climate change forbid the mention of it in official documents?

Or how every police dept and police union denies the existence of white supremacists groups within their ranks?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pleads posted:

In New Spring Moiraine explicitly knows the Black Ajah has been killing people and it still only freshly dawns on her that it means they must have gotten around the three oaths. Like it comes as a huge revelation that Black sisters can lie.

The institutional naivety (further fostered I'm sure by actual Black Ajah prerogatives) is a big thing in the White Tower.

Plus it's not like there aren't countless modern institutions known to ignore inconvenient truths that might damage their reputation if its seen as something that would cause "undue" burden on the institution or its members.

Yeah, every loving institution that's filled with racists, rapists, murders, pedos, or whatever runs the same strategy of denying the existence of any of those in its ranks. And if any ARE caught, those were the only bad ones that existed, and now they're caught, so everyone can stop looking.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

the sisters all believe they would be able to spot a darkfriend while living in such close proximity to them. 25% is such a comically ridiculous figure. it would have been staggering at 10% but 1/4 sisters being aes Sedai you'd figure a few would get caught.

it sounded like 90% of the black ajah actions were to bicker and spread discontent within the white tower.

which was also 90% of what every other aes sedai does

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Doesn't seem to have Healing or See Ta'veren or whatever

Dude maxed out his channelling stat but didn't take any feats.

He has a bunch of meta-magic feats to do more pew pew.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The extremely dorky and not canon answer from the rpg book's version of balefire says that Rand using one of his higher spell slots, plus overchanneling, plus his angrael gets 2 hours to 1 day of backburn on Rahvin. LTT overchanneling himself to death (plus an angrael of some sort, I'd assume) would have backburned himself days with enough balefire to spawn a mountain.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

For a low budget infomercial level production, this is actually good, imo. The worst part is when they try to use special effects, and it could use some editing to tighten it up a bit.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

ChubbyChecker posted:

the battle in the sky is cooler so they should keep it

And Ishamael is not the important or exciting part of the battle for the Stone.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Oh, I know friend. I know. Even as a child I was like "EVERY TIME IS AFTER MIDNIGHT YOU DUMBASS!"

It's like liquor laws. Everyone knows the 'no selling alcohol after midnight or 2pm" part, but when that restriction wears off isn't nearly as important, because most people wait till a sane hour, like 8am or 10am to start buying alcohol again.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

bio347 posted:

To me, the thing is that if the Real World is an age, or several, it can't really be the Fourth Age. The Third Age could reasonably transition into modern society, maybe, but where's all the stuff that comes before that? Where's the hunter-gatherers and the ancient empires and Jesus and the medieval stuff?

There's legends from our age in the 3rd/4th ages, so it hasn't been long enough for memories of our age to fade to nothing yet. Our age would be 7th or 1st. Magic would have to lost by the start of our age, and refound before the start of the 2nd age. Plus some sort of cataclysm with a lot of time to bury ruins and artifacts from AoL and the 3rd/4th age so we can't find them with technology. AoL can find our artifacts, and build off them, but there needs to be a long period of peace during or before the end of the AoL for them to forget war strategy.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Test Pattern posted:

Jordan's description (from his notes) of how the 1st age ended ended is pretty brutal:

Oh, yeah. That sounds like our age for sure.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Gully Foyle posted:

It also just takes way too much book space for the arcs. If Faile had been captured at the end of one book and the Battle of Malden had been at the end of the next book, it would have been fine. Instead the arc lasts from the end of book 8 to the end of book 11 (or beginning of book 12 if you count Faile ganking Masema). 3 full books, and the Perrin/Faile plot had a large chunk of each of those books.

The Faile sequence feels like it was 10 books long. And I can't even remember what happens during it

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Rarity posted:

Is it even a Wheel of Time if Asmodean doesn't get merked by a mystery killer and you don't found out whodunnit until a random aside 4 seasons later?

Revealed in the credits of s08e05, not even on screen.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

WoT being a 200 episode show would be more appropriate and fitting for the feel of the books.

The Faile kidnapping arc needs at least 7x 1 hour episodes to truly capture the experience of reading it in the books.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 25, 2024

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

one episode per a season dedicated to going through rand's entire list of dead women.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

There also technically a limited about of mana/spell slots per a day for each channeler. But no one talks about using up all of that each day.

It's more along the lines of spending your time and energy to grow a purely decorative plant in the middle of winter/hell drought instead anything useful.

Shageletic posted:

Imagine the Age of Legends era chat thread constantly talking about Peak One Power

Excuse me. SOMEONE put a lot of effort into solving that, and never got ANY thanks for her work.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Gully Foyle posted:

Yes and no. One farm worth of extra food will save a few people from starving, but the appearance of normalcy for visitors to the palace (things are fine, look at the flowers!) might have way more value in terms of stability, preventing riots/rebellion/civil war, and all that might cause way more death and starvation than one farm would prevent.

Morgase probably would have asked Elaida to help with the food if she didn't agree.

Found the darkfriend.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Couladin getting chumped off screen is one of my favorite parts of the series. Jordan's battle scenes have such a wonderful chaotic flow to them where details and information aren't given by importance. It makes them feel like an actual fight with fog of war and strange fixations on small detail being remembered.

I know it's from his combat experience, and it's so much better than fights that get written out like a d&d game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

The ward limit gets mentioned and is obeyed later in the series. I want to say there's an attack by dark friends that bypasses a ward for shadowspawn, maybe the one as they leave the wastes? And how Sammy wards up his city.