Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

How mad do gender theorists get about Newtonian physics? Same energy.

What is a gender theorist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mark Hamill. Not because Skywalker, because of his Joker.

Jim Carrey

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah he didn't like get to meet with Jordan or anything either it was all decided post death.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Kate Reading and Michael Kramer (also husband and wife, weirdly enough) are absolutely pro tier audiobook narrators, and the decision to go with dual male/female narrators really helps keep a sprawling cast manageable.

Wheel of Time was such a good audiobook series it was also my first and when I started to do stuff not done by them I was horribly disappointed. I am glad Sanderson likes them a bunch and tries to get them for most of his books.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CharlesThunder posted:

that, then the next chapter about the nation of people that are all really handsome and deadly warriors but also super smart, then the next chapter about the captain who goes around saving wayward recruits by enlisting them in his elite squad, and never loses, just like... Come on.

what rj does well for the most part is show rather than tell personality traits. the exception that comes immediately to mind is Galad. even then, characters say galad is "good to a fault" and you think what could that even possibly mean? then he goes and immediately tattles to morgase and it makes sense kind of.

It's like you never even finished that one chapter about the wayward recruits or you are going out of your way to misrepresent what's going on.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Prairie Bus posted:

So does the Liandrin casting confirm they’re doing Book 2 in the first season, or was she in NS? Kerene was from NS.

^^^ She is a couple years older.

e: also how the heck do you cast Liandrin before Elayne?

Imagine how much fat you could trim from the series if Elayne didn't exist.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

But think about all of the regional variation in cleavage

I'm sure there was a useful chart or two in Jordan's things.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've been in the room when people have asked Sanderson about this more then once, he always tries to sidestep the poo poo out of it though.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

How are u posted:

What is there to answer? The world is as the world was written. That it doesn't comport with the evolution of 21st century social norms is just a fact. There's nothing to do other than accept it or reject it if that's a huge issue for somebody.

Oh I agree but I just don't think he wants to be the one to put a word one way or another, especially as people have gotten on him in the past for poor LGBT representation.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

th3t00t posted:

I think the concerns over gender essentialism and lack of LGBT representation while valid, are “very online” concerns and won’t matter at all to the general public. And will have little to no impact one way or the other on the success of this show.

GOT, The MCU, Harry Potter, Star Wars, (just about every major IP), etc. basically ignore LGBT. And that doesn’t seem to have impacted their success in a negative way at all.

None of those shows core tenant was "women are like this 100%" and "men are like this 100%" which can get messy for some people.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The thing about gateways was they existed for a long time but the main characters would go like 10 books without interacting.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm reading Sanderson's Stormlight Archive right now and I'm really enjoying it. It's making me think of going back to Wheel of Time, which I started in high school (over a decade ago) and quit after the first book. Not because I didn't like it, but I just didn't feel compelled to continue. I'm interested especially in the Sanderson finale of WoT, but I'm also interested in checking this prodigious series off my list since it's the only one if its stature that I haven't read. Two questions before I get into it:

1. Do I have to re-read The Eye of the World? I've already read it (albeit very long ago) and if I could find a detailed summary I'd feel fine about just reading that as a refresher.
2. Do the things that I remember as shortcomings (one-dimensional characters, especially female characters, and a feeling that it was all a bit too derivative of Lord of the Rings) recede as the series progresses? The drat thing is 14 books or whatever, so I assume Jordan probably developed as a writer. Can I look forward to certain improvements in his storytelling?

Yes it gets better and it gets very much less LOTRy

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Data Graham posted:

67-page epic spanking montage becomes 3-episode epic spanking montage

Just do a split screen for a few episodes where some part of the screen is always showing her getting spanked while other characters do things, it's what Jordan would of wanted.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

How are u posted:

Eh im just not into animation since I hit my 20s.

This is a weird punch to throw in a fantasy book thread.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

Bug my Traids!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Screw those other recommendations, dive into Sanderson straight away, I suggest starting with "Emperor's Soul" it's real short, self contained and gives you a good idea of what he's about.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Harton posted:

He was always the best at everything, reminded me of that Sanderson trash way of kings.

I read 2 of those, did they get any better?

I'm not sure you read any of them if that's what you took from it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Harton posted:

He’s just always doing the right thing and the most perfect moral person. At least from what I remember. Maybe I’ll read the whole thing over again when it’s actually finished but he was so loving boring as a character. I didn’t even read them that long ago and I can’t remember a single other character from either book.

I bounced off the whole thing pretty hard.

Sanderson is just too clean for me. Like a hospital room all white and sanitized.

Yeah you must of really skimmed like 99% of it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

My impression of book Lan is entirely based on the audiobook reader's line delivery on sheepherder it's fantastic.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hexel posted:

But he does a lot of it therefore the normies think he's the greatest author of this generation.

Imagine throwing stones at other fantasy readers in the Wheel of Time thread come on dude try to not live up to the stereotypes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

th3t00t posted:

Not trying to single you out, but I hate this excuse for the show, and I'm tired of seeing it everywhere among the fandom.

I think the WOT show is more like the 1978 Ralph Bashki Lord of the Rings. A drastically underfunded attempt at a really ambitious project.

And Maybe 20-25 years later we can hope for a worthy adaption of WoT, akin to Peter Jackson's LOTR coming 20-25 years after Baski's attempt.

I don't think the funding is the problem, the main thing I wanted is more characters sitting around and interacting so we can get a chance to get their characters/relationships right before they all split up.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

pik_d posted:

I recently started reading Sanderson's Cosmere. I've only read some of them (Elantris, it's associated short stories, and three of the Mistborn books).

The first Mistborn book, The Final Empire, is the book that convinced Harriet to have him complete the series and is a great entry point. That book and the next two Mistborn books are a trilogy and are a great read.

The Brandon Sanderson thread here is safe for new readers since they tag spoilers if you want to ask more.

Edit: I'd like to add that The Emperor's Soul was a really beautiful novella that I feel could be read whenever, if you want a small taste of what he can do. You don't need to read Elantris to understand it.

Emperor's Soul is a great short starting point to see if you will click with Sanderon's style.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

DTurtle posted:

A lot of people - including non-book readers - have Mat as one of their favorite characters. Not saying that his storyline is perfect or anything, but your opinion is not one I have run into a lot.

I don't get this, he's barely had any screentime and barely done anything beyond a quip or two.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This show is not good enough to need people to be so hostile defending it in the freaking chill rear end book barn of all places.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

I see some "it is better than season 1" comments which is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

We're about to watch the season 2 finale. If the show hasn't found its stride by now, it won't.

This is where I am, the Forsaken/Seanchan/Wonder girl stuff is all good. Mat barely exists or does anything of note, Perins stuff is whatever the same level of boring as the books but putting him with the Aiel is helping, the Moirainne/Lan plots take up way too much screen time for how boring/repeat they have been feeling. My biggest issue is Rand, he mostly seems to mope/wonder about while things happen around him, I have no idea what is character really is beyond "wants to protect friends" which is the most generic thing imaginable. I'm not saying I want Darth Rand now, I want more regular rand to compare him vs Darth Rand later.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Shut up or I'll burn the threads

And another darkfriend is born of the obsession to undo the threads the wheel is spinning.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Valentin posted:

uh, yeah, most stories are about character's emotional journeys, wheel of time is not remotely unique in that lol. I mean in the context of an adaptation, where a character is emotionally in the books has no relation to whether their emotional journey as depicted in the adaptation is compelling.

Yeah the show needs to present these characters and stand on it's own.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I weirdly hope this show gets it's budget cut next season, give me a bottle episode of Rand alone in a room talking to Lews in his head with a B plot of watching Mat play a single poker game.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The issue to me is the first season is the only real way to show the Two Rivers folk as "normal" before the crazy poo poo really starts happening to them, we should of had way more episodes of all that. We should have good idea of most of their personalities and convictions by then, instead of them mostly standing around gawking at things happening around them, looking at you Rand/Perrin.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I feel like there needs to be an annotated version of the last books to mark what was Jordan and what was Sanderson because I think he gets blamed for what is a lot of first pass Jordan work that he didn't want to touch (I could see both sides if doing that was the right choice)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

You know I just realized Lanfear probably pretended to be a Tavern Owner/Worker because that is what Egwene was at the start of the series when she and Rand were hooking up.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I really wanted to like Stormlight but stopped after two and a half books since I didn't really think the magic swords and armor were all that interesting, and the series really leans on them being interesting.

Seems odd it really doesn't focus on them as much as you would expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

This is an insane take in a thread that has really seen Some poo poo, god drat. "Little interest in telling any of the ta'veren's stories" lol man cmon.

Yeah the characters need more screentime but it feels like but people forget how little some of the characters did in the first book or two.