Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Nihilarian posted:

I have never seen any actual evidence that Jordan actually intended Taim as Demandred, just nerds crying "retcon!"

I feel like there's a bunch of clues pointing in that direction that put a lot of people in the mindset that Jordan decided to change it because everyone had guessed that twist and he wasn't so far down that road he couldn't pull out.

I also think there was something linked a few pages back on Jordan's original concepts for the book which outright said he was that. Someone else might be able to link it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Rand definitely should have loving levelled Falme when they didn't agree to peace. Man I thought on this reread it would be a little different but I still hate the Seanchan

Things that are different than when I first read the series years ago:I don't dislike perrin chapters as much, Rand is so clearly mad that it's comical imagining everyone riding around following him as he stops, stares into the distance, has a conversation with himself, then looks at them and says, "I'm not mad yet". Just thinking about that makes me laugh.

I disliked egwene on my first read but now she's one of my favorite characters. All the wide ones are great. Knowing what's happening with Verin makes me appreciate her a lot.

Mats still the best character though

Perrin is the best character, the only one that treats his love interest like an independent loving person and has some of the best stories (besides waiting around in the snow for like 3 books).

To be fair to the people following Rand, everyone is well aware he's insane so I think it's more of a "oh god, just humour him he's the only person who can stop the world from ending"

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Zore posted:

Huh, I totally thought he had one or two early ones.

I didn't realize Rand and Perrin were so far above everyone else in total PoVs across the series either.

Guess all those hanging out in the snow doing nothing chapters really made up the numbers for Perrin.

Also, there was a second prologue for Eye of the World in later editions? Worth reading?

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

From memory he's against it but willing to accept it while they are fighting for the literal survival of humanity

He does send Hawkwing to talk to them about it though

hrmmm so Mat, overtime, might have convinced the Seanchan to do away with enslaving women with A'dam ultimately freeing and unleashing Moghedien on the world.

That really does seem very Mat

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Assuming he survived the Seanchan campaign, since iirc the failure of that adventure and the death of Tuon is one of the conditions for the future Aviendha saw

Geez, I'd forgotten about that.

Those Mat and Perrin books sure would have been swell.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Sandersons Perrin was way better than Jordans Perrin tbh

If we're talking general averages maybe but book 4 Perrin is the best Perrin

Perrin was my fave. I feel like Perrin and Faile have pretty much the only adult relationship in the whole book as well.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Not with that ridiculous jealousy of Faile's.

Yeah I'll give you that but I don't know, they seem to be the only ones that have problems and deal with it together as partners/equals.

Also to be fair to Faile, she was actually dead on about Berelain trying to crack on Perrin while Perrin spent the vast percentage of the time being like "what? No! That's crazy talk." which must have been infuriating as hell for her.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Soonmot posted:

"well he hasn't screamed at me or tried to hit me yet, so he must be lying".

Yeah okay fair cop. That stuff is so loving stupid I forgot it existed.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Hey weird book question that's not really related to anything we're talking about now

Was it ever actually explained what was going on with the power decrease following Nynaeve unstilling Suin and Leane but there being no decrease for Logain (as far as I remember), I figured it was some weird magical rule where it was better to have a lady heal a man and vice versa (I think I remember an Ashaman also healed an Aes Sedai and no power decrease was mentioned) than it be the same sex but I don't remember if the books ever really went into any detail of why that might have been the case. Anyone remember if it actually gets addressed at any point?

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Spek posted:

I have a very vague memory of reading an interview with Jordan once where he said something along the lines of intending to make the entire book be everyone's reaction to the climactic and world changing event at the end of Winters Heart but realized like 1/2 to 3/4ths of the way through that it wasn't working and rather than rewriting it just kinda pushed through and finished it. Which is I guess better than George RR Martin's strategy of realizing his 5 year gap wasn't working and just imploding.

It's always annoyed me that Rand, Cadsuane, Nyneave or loving anyone else there didn't choose to send out messengers to tell the world what just happened. Like sure most wouldn't believe it right away but you need to plant those seeds and the earlier the better. It most likely would have made CoT way better and it just would have made sense. Having the characters debating whether or not the news is true and what they can/should do about it if it is true would likely have actually been able to fill most of a book entertainingly. Having 300 different characters just go "big power? wuh happened" one after the other after the other on the other hand gets real old real quick.

I agree with what you're suggesting but I do think there were some really good scenes of Aes Sedai that were hanging out with various character not with Rand stopping dead mid conversation to scream at the massive power they were feeling 300 miles away. Those bits were rad as hell

Edit: You know actually thinking about it, maybe that didn't even happen in the book and some character (Perrin maybe) was recalling it after the fact? It's been a long time since I read these books.

The Neal! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 7, 2020

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Oh those definitely happened.

"We have to go the other way. No really. NO REALLY HOLY gently caress THERE'S LIKE TEN BILLION FORSAKEN THAT WAY."

Yeah!

That bit was cool :coolfish:

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Spek posted:

Oh yeah those were some great scenes and I hope the show gets that far. I could see any number of neat ways to handle that. A montage of channelers we've known from around the continent each doing their own version of just suddenly staring off into the distance in awe starting the episode after it happens could be great.

But it should have followed up with them receiving the news of what actually went down a week or two after. Rand had no issue getting his message out about the amnesty on men who could channel so I'll never understand why he didn't do the same after the events of Winter's Heart.

I don't remember precisely but wasn't Rand unconscious right after (like days maybe?) and then he decided to lie real low for awhile? Maybe he didn't want people tracing the message back to where he was or some other similar convenient plot decision?

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

It was rough, especially since it was the reunion I'd been waiting for since Rand left Edmond's Field.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Patrat posted:

It always bemused me a little that various characters took longer to realize the significance of Tam, especially given that he was probably somebody a lot of the people in power had legitimately heard of before. He had been second in command of one of the elite formations during the last big war and was a blademaster with a power wrought blade.

I suspect if people had known who Rand's father was in the early books they would have reacted to him very differently.

I dunno, a big theme in Wheel of Time is a lot of the people in power are super incompetent unless you live in Caemlyn and your name isn't Elayne. Not like Trump would be able to name any generals from 20 years ago.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

EvilTaytoMan posted:

But Elaida lived in Caemyln for some time????

Also Gawyn etc. etc

Good point. Everyone is dumb and out of touch except for like one or two kings or queens that come once every 1000 years and likely have really dumb kids.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

I'm rereading all of Robin Hobb at the moment (which is great!) and I've been considering doing a reread of Jordan after. Seriously considering just reading to Dumai's Wells and then just skipping to Knife of Dreams or something. I know I'll be missing some cool stuff but I just don't think I can deal with that meandering middle section of the series again.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I'm up to end of Fires of Heaven in my re-read and I'm wondering, is there a single boring Rand chapter in the whole series? Like for example Nynaeve as a whole is good, but some of these chapters while they're on the run, about being snippy at Elayne and angry at men and furious at low-cut cleavages are just ugh. Rand never stops doing interesting poo poo as far as I can remember.

Maybe at some point where he's hanging out at that manor house for what seems like 3 books?

Also, I always feel like they threw in an ineffective Trolloc army getting massacred during that section of the series just to give him something to do (I know it explored a bit of his rivalry with Logain and made it more clear that Lews wasn't necessarily just madness because Lews was then doing stuff with the power Rand had never thought of but it was still felt really out of nowhere that this army had just showed up at his doorstep to get murdered).

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

calandryll posted:

Is this the soundtrack? Apparently, I bought this back in 2003. :lol:

oh my gosh, it's on spotify and now I'm listening to it and it is AWFUL. Loving it.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it was his wife's illness that he purportedly extended the series' length for.

Jesus, how is their a single person in the US that doesn't support medicare for all? The whole country seems insane to me.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Torrannor posted:

No. I do, too. The chapters I don't like are the Faile chapters in the later books.

I really liked the Faile chapters but wasn't on board for most of the Perrin ones during that arc.

Can someone refresh my memory on the two monumental gently caress ups Elayne made that you guys were talking about? I must have blocked them right out.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah but Galad and Gawyn kill him a book later

Gawyn does, Galad nopes the gently caress out of there to join the KKK for awhile

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Yeah, it would have been cool if there was like some faction that was religiously into hunting Darkfriends. I bet that would have caused some issues for our plucky heroes!!!

To be fair they were so ineffective as a threat to the heroes after the first book I'm not surprised they got forgotten. Even in the 4th book the best the White Cloaks can do to Perrin is scowl at him.

Edit: I guess the hunt for the Black Ajah in the white tower was a bit of a literal witch hunt though, particularly since it ends in mass executions

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Anias posted:

She swore herself to the dark for knowledge/power, which given the way the dark is entirely agnostic during the final battle, is arguably as valid as any of the other power-using darkfriends. The dark one doesn't mind a world where all the darkfriends are gone. That's as much a win as any other end to the cycle. Darkfriends are essentially entropists. Lots of them want to be the one true king/queen of randland forever and ever, and that's fine with the dark one since that means the cycle of the wheel is broken. Others want to defeat the dark one forever, and again that's fine with the dark one since that also means the wheel is broken.

Satan is just tired of talking to Rand every thousand years, and can you blame him? There's probably a win for the dark one where he gets an impenetrable prison that can never be opened ever.

I might be wrong but I remember it being that Verin was investigating the Black Ajah (not necessarily for the greater good but more because she was just curious about poo poo) got caught and was offered a choice, join or die. So chose to join but used the fact that she joined as an opportunity to root them all out and then, at the moment before her death, destroy them

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

I was thinking more as in a social phenomena similar to the European witch hysteria, unrelated to the useless Whitecloaks. I'm just shocked we never see some power-hungry town alderman or something accuse the richest merchant in town of being a Darkfriend, that kind of thing.

I think it's absolutely reasonable for the boys to mistrust Aes Sedai, considering the kind of stories they were raised on. Seeing what Aes Sedai are actually like I'd say mistrust is absolutely warranted, it'd be like hearing stories about Jedi all your life and when you finally see one he mind-rapes a dude and then lops a drunkard's arm off for the crime of being aggressively drunk.

That's a good point, the only explanations I can up with to explain why we don't see it in the book is either:

1. It happens all the time and we just don't hear about it

or

2. Given there's a tangible correlation between saying the Dark Ones name and bad poo poo happening to you, people are just so poo poo scared of this that nobody is willing to use false Darkfriends accusations to their advantage unless they're a religious zealot.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

silvergoose posted:

They legit mention "someone always scrawls the dragon's fang on their neighbor's door to settle a grudge, and I'm sure we snap up all the real darkfriends along with them" in one of the whitecloak internal monologues.

oh right, well there you go.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Oh jesus,

all this time when you guys were talking about numbered books I thought the one after Winter's Heart was Knife of Dreams and I kept thinking "these guys are weird, knife of dreams is way less of a slog than winter's heart, surely that's not the one to skip"

I think I deleted Crossroads from my brain. Christ that book was bad.

Good luck dude!

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Thom is definitely in my top 3 favorite characters for this reason alone. In any other story or any other Age he'd be a Hero in his own right.

Lucky he can't channel, that's a textbook 'why I became forsaken' backstory

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Ungratek posted:

I never thought it was hard to figure out. There were barely anyone who it even could have been.

I dunno, seemed to me like it could have been literally any of the surviving forsaken?

Not that it really matters, they've all got the same goal so who cares which one of them killed him exactly.

And Demandred was ABSOLUTELY Taim at first but I kind of like how it all turned out.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Darkhounds can come back together as liquid like the T-1000 so maybe they can zoom around in liquid form like Alex Mack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Sanderson did an amazing job, with the obvious exceptions of a really bad monologue from Mat in TGS that just plain sucks and his annoying habit of tying up loose ends when they didn't really need it in extremely unsubtle almost 4th wall breaking ways (so many times characters would suddenly say/think something like "Oh so that thing in book 3 was because of THIS")

Aside from that I actually prefer his faster paced 3 books to the later novels from Jordan in the series.