Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
She was working with Mat against the empire's return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember with Asmodean it was between Lanfear's reincarnation and Graendal on who killed him, but Graendal just says it outright in a Sanders book.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there was a limitation in traveling where you had to be familiar with where you were traveling to, while skimming was where you were traveling from. Skimming was also more hazy in wher the gate landed. Asha'man dude had a talent that he didn't really need that.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It was when Rand was threatening Far Madding.

They changed the definition of traveling and skimming. One used to be familiarity with traveling to and the other was traveling from, but they changed it sometime before RJ got really sick.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought easing the badger was about coaxing a woman to bed, like taming of the shrew. The sign has a man dancing with a badger.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The madness idea was also pretty vague to know if the black tower was a good idea. It's kinda all over the place in the series to know how or when it will hit, and how dangerous it would be.

It's kind of hard to imagine them being strong enough to "break the world", even though they were all learning to channel at the same time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The real reveal that Demandred was Bao the Wild from Shara almost is hand wavey out of nowhere. Yeah, that mysterious people who we've never explored in any of the core material? Well now bad guys are from there.

Even the forsaken that got Bale-fired in the Stone had a better backstory.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Daughter-spare.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That’s their thing, though. The guide goes even further to say that the shadow in the AOL could have always conquered the light, but they would always attack each other instead. The dark one feeds in treachery itself, not meritocracy.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Aiel call themselves The People of the Dragon. I think they know that the tattoos are dragons, unless there's a verse I've forgotten.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

In Australia the books were black with a WoT logo on the front in a different colour on each book. Much classier than the godawful US cover art.

I really liked the art they commissioned for the Ebooks though - they got a different artist for each one and TSR in particular was great.
The cover:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The guide basically states that even the "best" of the forsaken still controlled cities that rounded up non-dark friends and fed them to Trollocs.

It also says that the forsaken we know are just the remaining forsaken that were trapped with the dark one. There were forsaken that came before them that just didn't survive until the sealing of the DO's prison. Shame we never got to hear about them.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought the transition to Sanderson was extremely jarring and very obvious.

There's what was said about him just having dialogue go back and forth without renaming the speaker.

What's far more jarring was while Jordan used dramatic irony all the freaking time, Sanderson just kinda smashed through it. You could say this needed to happen to end the books, but one of the reoccurring themes in the entire series is that if everyone just sat down and were honest about what they intend to do and what they're feeling, then all of their problems would pretty much go away.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Huh. That applies doubly to the Forsaken, too. They would have won by about the start of The Great Hunt if they'd done that.

True, but that's also a characteristic of them. They fight against each other. In The Guide, they made it really clear the Shadow had the more powerful forces in the War of Power, but they spent their efforts attacking each other instead of collaborating. The Dark One even went the extra mile to reward treachery, as long as it furthered the Shadow.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Just got to the part where Nynaeve heals stilling.

God, the Aes Sedai are just totally insufferable, aren't they? It's amazing to think how many problems they face throughout the series that could be solved if for one second any single one of them would just stop being absolute assholes to literally everyone.

I've posted it before, and I'll post it again, everything in the series could be solved by people just sitting down in a group therapy and being honest with each other. It's practically a premise of the series until Sanders takes over.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, he was Osan'Gar, who was the re-homed soul of that Forsaken that got wasted in Eye of the World. Bethamel, I think?

Aran'Gar was Halima, who was Aginor, whose soul got stuck in a female body. He also got wasted in EotW.

Other way around. Aginor was the super educated one who made most of the shadow spawn. Bethamel was the carouser who was a hedonist.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

rndmnmbr posted:

And all of that because Basically Satan values being a selfish dickhead over things like intelligence and competence.

I picked up more that he feeds on treachery than victory. He's completely deceptive to everyone. The only reason Ishmael is the favorite is he guessed the DO's motives and took part in drilling the hole in the pattern in the first place.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Basileus777 posted:

On rereads I always thought the idea of dark hounds running from the blight to Illian in TDR to be pretty silly.

One of the brown sisters documents that there are packs of them running around outside of the blight. I think there were six packs that basically show up to take out high priority individuals when a grey man won't do.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

I kind of assume if Jordan hadn’t died he would have shown how the corruption worked eventually but Sanderson didn’t want to deal with it when he needed the time for the big parts. It’s just kind of hand waved away in the second to last or last book, whichever one it was.

So I guess going into dreamland physically doesn’t really corrupt you like everyone keeps saying throughout the books.

Jordan actually did do a "word from God" clarification. It's dangerous, but not evil. The Wise Ones were being superstitious, the same way they talked about men entering the dreaming.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Perrin going DBZ and magically jumping around TAN Is one of my least favorite parts of the series.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
there are to events that stop the famine. the first is the bowl of the winds. the second is the land mirrors rands mental health. the land springs back before the last battle

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Basileus777 posted:

No, the black ajah have a set of unique 3 oaths they swear on the oath rod that other darkfriends don't have.

One of them is something like can't reveal their involvement until the hour of their death. Are the other 2 ever revealed?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Think people would be pissed if they knew that during the whole last battle with thousands of people being put through the meat grinder, Rand was just chilling out having a philosophical argument with the devil?

He's basically magical Jesus in the end and everyone loves him.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

TBF the book as written has more depth than just that, mostly because men actually did gently caress up, badly, so they aren't letting men be wizards for good reason, not just prejudice.

It also wasn't just a "they hosed up thing". NOT Gentling a man was dangerous, and harboring one could get you killed in most of the world. Remember what happened with Thom's nephew. And his wife.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It also helps that his popularity is, to everyone, posthumous.

Not really in the Sanderson books. He's "the only hope" for much of it

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

related, it really sucks on reread that while Jordan has lesbian relationships in his books, it seems to still be written as bored teenagers experimenting, rather then as bi or lesbian. I wish he did more to explore Siuan and Moiraine's relationship.

That may have been the case with Siuan and Moiraine's relationship, but both he and Sanderson show that there are both gay and lesbian relationships in the world, they just aren't seen as marriages.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah I work retail and there are people who keep telling me it's fake. Three people that work at my store have died from covid so far

woah, how many people work at your store?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

To me it's a strength of the series that characters act within the confines of the institutions they're in, notable exception being obvious. My favorite example right now is Carridin. He has realistic motivations, acts in a way that seems rational to achieve his goals, and winds up being forced to make decisions that seem irrational but are really his only choices given the available options. Elaida isn't going to reach out to rand and try to help him, not because it's irrational, but because it's not what the white tower and especially her red ajah would do as an organization. Many characters talk about duty and expectations being a burden that prevents them from doing what they think is right (or in some cases easy.) I think this is an underanalyzed aspect of the series that helps to set it above most other fantasy series and fiction in general.

it’s this.

honestly, if you expect anything other than this in anything Jordan was writing, you should probably read a different series.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Anias posted:

That scene made me go reread the prologue of EotW.

Jordan's word of God is that it was not balefire.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Moraine suspects he can channel when she checks Bela and finds she doesn't need to relieved of her endurance pain. It's early in the first book.

Don't remember when she tells him this.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bloom posted:

... but I struggle to understand people who say they don't notice the difference in the Sanderson books.

Definitely this. Sanderson pushes the plot forward in leaps and bounds while Jordan creates atmospheres and scenes. Far more text in the Sanderson books was actual dialogue.

If you don't like Dramatic irony, you will not like the WoT series, and Jordan used it extensively, while Sanders only played with a few tidbits.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

DarkHorse posted:

Gaul going with Perrin right at the start, and asks him where they're going. Perrin tells him into the Ways and risking Machin Shin

And Gaul just goes welp ok then

Another thing to think of from Gaul's perspective: Perrin's not just saving his life. If he viewed wet-landers as one monolithic entity, he's betraying his comrades to help him. In the waste, that'd get you tortured to death or made Da'tsang. So he's doing more than just saving him, he's putting himself at great risk to do so.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

th3t00t posted:

The largest difference I notice between RJ and BS is how they write conversations. Jordan would have a character say a sentence out loud, then he would have a paragraph of the characters internal thoughts about the conversation, then another sentence out loud. Whereas with BS the conversations goes back and forth multiple times with no internal thoughts on the page.

It's like you're inside the head of the pov character during a conversation written by Jordan, and you're someone witnessing a conversation between characters when BS writes it.

Pretty much. Minimal subterfuge.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there ever any canon source on what the purpose of the True Blood society was for? I always thought it was implied they were Dark Friend hunters, but I'm not sure if I read it in some non-main-book source or just came up with it in my head years ago.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I say they keep the idea of the ethnically separated setting and just change the back story for the characters. It's not like Min's parents ever show up in the series. She's also living with her aunts, just have her family be from up north.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Being able to tell where someone is from based on how they look is an undercurrent for the entire setting. It puts an otherness to all of the other cultures, and in addition to making the Seanchan more distinct because they are a unified multi-ethnic empire.

If anything, Min's background needs more filling out because what does she really have going on besides aura seeing, throwing knives, and not wearing skirts.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Apparently they work at his fortress in the blight, which shows up in the prologue to TGS and then I don’t think ever again.

All the Forsakens’ behavior is off key in the prologue: Mesaana begs Moridin for help in rescuing Semhirage, Grendael thinks of herself as explicitly evil when before all the forsaken viewed their actions as essentially pragmatic, etc. Its fairly jarring although the characterization gets better as the book goes on.

Yeah, the portrayal of Mesanna made no sense in that they are all competing against each other and are not at all friends.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
She probably thinks of them as yokels. It's never directly addressed in her thoughts, but she did grow up noble, and they've never done anything to "prove" themselves, i.e. Siuan.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Syncopated posted:

I don’t see how they could change the duality of the magic system, it’s an overarcing theme through the whole story. It will be interesting too see how they deal with the whole ’men are from Mars, women are from Venus’ thing, if they follow through with it like the books it could be a really weird feel.

This is actually the reason I found it odd they're making the show to begin with. It probably started with looking at those GoT dollars and not really thinking it through.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
That better not be LAN. He needs to wear the armor from the cover of book one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

rndmnmbr posted:

I always took it as fantasy Japan, crossed with late medieval heavy cavalry, and as such they would be wearing a Japanese-inspired take on heavy plate.

It's this. Jordan tried to set up all of his cultures as a mish-mash of historical/modern cultures.