Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I lost my softcover books (1-9 I think) so I'm on that audiobook life, and I'm trucking along well into the Dragon Reborn now. Glad the news of the show being made got me to go through the series again.

Also learning that Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are married was a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It's gotta be longer, Rand loses "months" on the first portal stone to Falme, and there's more weeks/months implied after between books 2 and 3.

I googled and the deep wikis say 2-3 years.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Gnoman posted:

Checking the wiki, the series starts on March 27, 998 and the Third Age ends somewhere halfway through the year 1000, with a ~100-day timeskip from Rand. So you're right, it is 2-3 years. Still an extremely short period of time, and quite a bit of it seems to be brushed over.

Yeah I was surprised looking it up, too, since those early glossed over times basically mean the last 10 books take place over the course of like a year.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but he can write dialogue that does not span multiple pages of unbroken paragraphs.

I was noticing that through an audiobook re-read, a lot of times someone enters a conversation and just blasts for like 30 seconds of speech before even introducing themselves.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I always thought that the Dark One putting his taint on the male half of the source snapped everyone crazy basically instantly, so there wasn't a slow build like we see with Rand or the Asha'man.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ruby Rhod for Amyrlin Seat

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm nearing the end of Lord of Chaos, and Sulin as a palace servant is just a great little side-story that pops up at perfect times throughout the book.

Shame the end of the book starts to drag with Perrin's "durr why wife mad" chapters.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That's great.

Just finished Lord of Chaos and I forgot how much of a tone shift Dumai's Wells indicates, hot diggity.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

These audiobooks are so very good. Not a whole lot seems to happen in Crown of Swords (so far) but Michael Kramer and Kate Reading give a lot of scenes some life they didn't have when I last read through the series. It's a low-event book with a lot of fun scenes.

Kramer especially makes things really good, maybe because he always gets the Mat POVs. Every time he busts into his "random old man bumpkin answering a question of m'lord" voice I laugh, it's such a good voice.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Moghedien is like the biggest example, I think they use 3 different pronunciations and often within the same book.

One thing I've noticed now that I'm into book 10 is that the accents of the various nations have developed heavily vs what they were in the first few volumes in the audiobooks. In the first handful, there's some speech pattern differences but the general accents are the same, and now it's like... Illianers are Scottish, and it's kind of weird. Taraboners have a weird accent like they're ESL students almost?

The Seanchan slur is consistent, at least.

Still very much love (and prefer?) the audiobooks though.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Verin is such a good character, goddamn. The amazing ways Jordan compares her to a fat little bird in every single scene is hilarious, and nobody knows what to think about her except "she's way smarter than she lets on, maybe?".

I also lost it at the way Michael Kramer reads the following random intro for a manor servant:

One of the twinned doors creaked open to admit a white-haired man in a worn yellow coat trimmed with red and blue that hung loosely on his bony frame. His bow was halting, a fault of his joints rather than disrespect. "My Lord Dragon," he said in a voice nearly as creaky as the hinges, "Lord Logain has returned."

It's a total nothing paragraph except it dunks on this bony old man and Kramer gives him such a perfect voice for it. I love "a voice as creaky as the hinges" as a description.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

TGS Chapter 39:

Verin :unsmith:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm into the Brandon Sanderson books in these audiobooks and some of the dialogue scenes feel extremely jarring when read out loud. Stuff like this:

quote:

"Something something," he said.
"Something else and such," she said.
"More words I like ale," he said.
"You're an oaf you idiot," she said

When you're reading it yourself you basically gloss over the he said/she said words while it informs you of who is talking, but when they're read aloud as part of a conversation they stand out so much.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Vavrek posted:

Are you a regular audiobook listener, or are you trying out The Wheel of Time audiobooks on thread recommendation? I've been listening to audiobooks for, I guess, 25+ years now (my dad liked them and so I grew up with them) and I think hearing a narrator say "he said" is skipped over in my brain about as easily as when I read it on the page.

First time, and I only started to notice it in the Sanderson books. Either I'm only just now noticing it or Jordan took effort to avoid those exchanges/switch up the words.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

silvergoose posted:

And of course Aviendha picking apart a portal and aes sedai screaming "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING OH MY GOD FFFFFFFF" I love that scene :3:

Followed by like a year of the Seanchan going "gently caress when are they going to bust out that ungodly weapon again..."

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mat's conversation with Setalle Anan in Towers of Midnight: Chapter 52 (Boots) is loving fantastic, goddamnit.

He describes boots for like 8 paragraphs and then she drops some high-level political analysis on him that fits perfectly and he's just like, "What? No, just boots, woman!"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Soonmot posted:

Who was Ishemael's ressurection body, Moridin or Shadar Haran?

It's Moridin, he pulls Rand into a dream shard in ToM/AMoL (either the end of ToM or start of AMoL) and it's explicitly stated. They have a conversation about it and everything.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 5, 2020

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Nobody knows what the gently caress about the Aiel either.

Yeah nobody talks with the Aiel and they're probably just like "Rhuidean really hosed up these snakes, oh well"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah sorry, I meant the Aiel are the ones going "these snakes, man"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mat's interactions with the Seanchan Blood in AMoL are very entertaining, he just fucks up the protocol of every interaction he has with them and yet by the end has ingratiated himself with almost everyone.

Tuon just kinda watches like, "yep that's my idiot husband."

quote:

“I name you Knotai, for you are a bringer of destruction to the Empire’s enemies. Let your new name only be spoken from now into eternity, Knotai. I proclaim that Knotai, Prince of the Ravens, is to be given the rank of Rodholder in our armies. Let it be published as my will.”

“Knotai?” Knotai said.

She glared at him. Keep your tongue, for once, she thought at him. Please.

“I kind of like it,” Knotai said, turning his horse and trotting away.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jesus christ this chapter is 9 hours long in the audiobook??? AMoL: The Last Battle

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm so very much on the "Mat is the best character" train now, everything he does in AMoL is hilarious slapstick that also happens to be the best possible move/luckiest thing possible.

Everyone just tolerates him and shakes their head and follows orders.

quote:

"Cauthon lives," Arganda said. "And that’s bloody amazing, considering that someone blew up his command post, set fire to his tent, killed a bunch of his damane, and chased off his wife. Cauthon crawled out of it somehow."

"Ha!" Abell Cauthon said. "That’s my boy."

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mat and Tuon have become my favourite scenes this time through, it's a pretty good dynamic that shifts over time and has some very good jokes.

I think the last time I read through I also didn't get Aiel humour but this time around I very much appreciate it.

Towers of Midnight:

quote:

(Perrin is eating a gigantic cut of ham for breakfast. Literally only a ham, nothing else.)

"Perrin Aybara," a voice called from outside his tent. "Do you give me leave to enter?"
"Come in, Gaul," he called. "My shade is yours."
The tall Aiel strode in. "Thank you, Perrin Aybara," he said, glancing at the ham. "Quite a feast. Do you celebrate?"
"Nothing besides breakfast."
"A mighty victory," Gaul said, laughing.

I laughed for a while at that one, it's so simple and good.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mat deserves much better than Elayne. Tuon is much better than Elayne.

Also having remembered not liking Perrin/Faile, on this last time through I definitely realized it was just the whole Shaido storyline, not the characters, that made me tired of them. It just drags forever and Perrin is mopey for like, 3 books.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Pretty sure it's Mat (or someone else, but not Perrin)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

tbh I'd just think it's from Emond's Field on Winternight after the Trolloc attack.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I always liked how Tam came out of that one meeting with Rand. "What the gently caress did you do to my son," at the Aes Sedai instead of being angry at Rand himself.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Rand in the sky at Falme but it's funkpops

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I like most of the way the Game of Houses plays out with the boys involved, they're all such total rubes that they talk straightforward and the schemers all go, "ahh poo poo what's he trying to hide here," and wind themselves up. I think at a few points someone even explicitly points it out, but it's a solid and good throughline until Rand wisens up and starts actually scheming himself.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Doing a re-listen of the audiobooks, puttering around the house in the evening letting Lord of Chaos roll in the background.

Michal Reading posted:

Chapter 55. The final chapter.

Dumai's Wells.

*record scratch* time to get a drink and sit down.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I was thinking of that a couple days ago; how the male and female halves of the source are so codified in the lore and are such a fundamental piece of the world you've built. How would you even begin to introduce doubt into that structure without immediately shattering your world?

I wound up convincing myself the True Power was actually the non-binary solution for the world but Randland just wasn't ready for it from a societal standpoint. I'm also ignoring that it seems to be sourced literally from the devil.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I've listened to the audiobooks so much it'll be jarring not to have everyone sound like Michael Kramer and Kate Reading.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm into A Memory of Light in my audiobook re-listen and I very much appreciate the random mentions of Demandred just raving about Lews Therin over the various battlefields as the final fights go on.

Everyone is so dismissive of it because nobody cares and has bigger worries. It's real good.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If he wants the Pattern to end so badly why wasn't Moridin just running around balefiring 24/7 until everything cracked apart?

Really makes you question his dedication to the end of all things.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Last Battle Chat:

Gawyn is such a fuckin failson dipshit. "Can't risk the Amyrlin so I, her Warder, will go get myself killed instead so she... gets herself killed." Every time he comes up the other characters go, "Yeah him rushing off on some spoiled selfish quest sure sounds like Gawyn." What a miserable character, makes GoT Joffrey look sympathetic.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

She's gonna have a heck of a time with his actions in the final book.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Vavrek posted:

It makes a lot of sense. It's a terrible decision. It ruins his life.
For sure he messes up with a decent enough reason when forced to that decision, and he's still got a chance of being a sympathetic character or even turning it around and serving as he always claims he means to. There's a huge setup for a redemption arc.

Then Galad steals that arc, and Gawyn decides to run headfirst into the Wall of Stupid Dumb Choices over and over in the last few books and then dies a chump and takes a great character down with him at a key point.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Taim culled any Asha'man who were going insane and nobody had the kind of experience and fully-realized power that the male Aes Sedai would have had from the Age of Legends, so a full Breakening2: Electric Boogaloo wasn't in the cards. By the time the Black Tower was producing enough raw numbers, the taint was cleansed and it wasn't a concern anymore.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

BigHead posted:

One of my favorite forgotten things in the series is that Nynaeve actually cured insanity in male channelers.

That's one of those things that would have been neat to see addressed in the books, but absolutely would be something post-story that I'd want to read some more about. Curing insanity, and Healing severed channelers.

There's 2 of those last group specifically, Setalle Anan and Annoura, who would be interesting. The first has dealt with her grief and would be a real interesting study in bringing someone back into the fold, the second would take some punch out of an emotional sacrifice during the Last Battle.

I guess they never did say whether someone burning themselves out was Healable the same way a gentled/stilled person was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

silvergoose posted:

I suspect the literal century between the bore and the war of power was full of stuff happening, tbh; it might not have been open Chosen waging war, but presumably trollocs started appearing with the experiments going on, they started ravaging, etc.

I've been listening to the audiobook version of The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time and it addresses this (just going off memory since I don't have a text version).

There was a definite gap between the bore opening and the War of Power, there's a decent amount of description as society literally begins to crumble because it was not built to deal with the sort of corruption and violence that began to crop up after the Dark One started being able to influence events. There was a slow trickle of people (more and more powerful) publicly converting to the Shadow before everything really began to pop off.

Last night I actually listened to the section that deals with the 3 adopted calendars but it was in an insomnia-driven delirium so I don't remember exact details. FY 1135 is given as a change-point specifically, iirc, and mentions that FY 1115-1119 was the range of estimates for when the War of the Hundred Years ended.

That stuff is buried somewhere in Section III, first in the little forward of the section and then interspersed through the following chapters.