Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Uhhh.... help me out here?

merlin -> marlin -> fish guts -> siuan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Khizan posted:

That's why I always found it so frustrating that Egwene insisted that the Aes Sedai continue taking the Three Oaths, even after it's well established that the Three Oaths do not help the Aes Sedai in any way. Since they're only bound to the exact wording of the Oaths, the oaths are almost completely useless. All they really do is continually remind people that they should not be trusted, because why would a trustworthy person have to be bound in such a manner?

Also, the Aes Sedai parts are terrible because they focus so heavily on Egwene, and Egwene is the worst character in the series. She's even worse than Elayne.

actually, nobody is worse than elayne, not even faile

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Dyelin Should Be Queen

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
its like a full book of "and then everyone stood up and clapped"

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

KOD
Ok, gently caress Elayne. I had forgotten just how blatantly loving obvious the trap was, and that literally everyone tried to talk her out of it.
jesus christ.

elayne sucks without redemption
dyelin should be queen

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Elayne is usually a better character than Nynaeve until near the end of the series

yeah thats fair, elayne only becomes absolutely 100% awful from when she gets back to camelyn

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Also a forsaken getting captured by the ajah thats like 75% darkfriends would be like...not a problem. it wouldnt be a problem.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
she is convinced she has plot armour and she is right except the plot armour is other peoples bodies

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Lord Bude posted:

Am I the only one who likes Elayne's PoV chapters from the book 7 to book 11 portion of the series?

yes

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
What number was the one with the mat/tuon bit where he meets back up with the army? The mat bits of those books were good

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Lord Awkward posted:

Yeah, I really got the impression that the first Aes Sedai to take the oaths were looking for exploitable loopholes about 5 minutes after their skin stopped tingling, and that tradition just kept on for the next several thousand years.

Mostly because of interpretations like:
"Look, I clearly, as Aes Sedai, know what's best for you but also actually everyone, and it's a shame that you disagree. Now, fun fact, gagging and restraining someone with The Power is actually not using it as a weapon, and also fun fact two, this extremely heavy hairbrush was made by a silversmith and not with The Power, and there is, fact three, absolutely nothing binding me from whipping the absolute poo poo out of you with the brush until you agree that I know what's best and to cooperate fully (also, there's no oath about run-on sentences). Nod once if you understand me."

looking at you, Cadsuane
from a distance and hopefully safely out of her sight

Speaking of, how come perrins hammer didn’t violate the oath to not make a weapon?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

It literally would, and was done via a circle of ashaman and wise ones. This is exactly the kind of weapon they were banning.

Ooh, so they linked in the wise ones not the aes sedai, that’s what I was misremembering

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
given the potential permutations of corrupted names and the ambiguity in descriptions of the legends you can just imagine they mean anything

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
it's also subtle because the characters involved are elegant and sophisticated courtiers and not thirsty teenagers

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

Speaking of Egwene and Gawyn, there's that bit in Lord of Chaos (ch.14) where she gets sucked into his dreams and keeps trying, and failing, to escape, until she just gives in and stays there the rest of the night. Thing is, she seems more and more affectionate towards them each time she fails to escape, and the Wise Ones did warn her that if you got caught in a person's dreams they could remake you if you stayed too long.

Am I the only one who thinks that Egwene's love for Gawyn is entirely because she failed to heed the Wise Ones and got warped by Gawyn's dreams about her into a woman who actually loved him?

yeah everyone else just thinks they were getting mad rutty

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
gotta wonder why they didnt teach the warders to use quarterstaves

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
im just saying that if the warden trainer is willing to take a bet on rando farmer with qs vs 2x v.good warden trainees w/ swords, EITHER warden training should be literally farming or they should be arming them with quarterstaves

seaborgium posted:

They don't have Heron marked quarterstaves.
lol

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

As for the reason warders didn't walk around with quarterstaves: you try walking around the halls of the White Tower with a seven foot long stick day in and day out and see how long it takes you to get tired of it.

all you ever hear about the white tower is that its made for zillions of people and now its empty (aside from all the assassins and corpses). There's plenty of opportunity for a young man to swing his staff around

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
now if it had been FARMERS guarding him...

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Vavrek posted:

One thing I picked up somewhere, maybe in this thread, that never occurred to me and which I love for post-AMoL theorizing: [spoiler]Nynaeve will be Amyrlin at some point, not simply because of Aes Sedai deference to strength, but because she's a healer and the Tower really needs healing.[spoiler]

when I think canny political operator I think nynaeve

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I wonder if it’s a coincidence that tar valon looks like a vagina in the maps

e: I’m desperately trying to find a description of the black tower as eg having a long rectangular field with two circular courtyards at one end

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 10, 2020

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

To be fair to Perrin, Faile was a little unhelpful with what she wanted, Faile's parents were a little nuts, and Elyas was a dude who escaped as a Warder and lived in the woods talking to wolves.
and to bring us full circle, even though he escaped, his bond wasnt released

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

One thing that strikes me in the early books is the number of times that "being chased by Trollocs" is given as reason for suspicion. Ignoring the entire "my enemy is hunting this guy, therefore he must be working with my enemy" logic bomb, Trollocs eat people, so them chasing someone could easily just mean the Trollocs are hungry.
same but wolves
its as if the whitecloaks are just looking for an excuse to lynch people

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
also it's extremely important for elayne that nobody in andor starts thinking that leadership qualities, rather than bloodline, should determine rulers

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

at the end of knife of dreams and i'm sad to reach the end of jordan's books :smith:
yeah, the stuff other people are posting about as "it pays off in the sanderson books" I read as "sanderson couldn't write hte existing characters so wrote completely different ones instead". mat and talmanes are the most egregious examples but...yeah. I'm glad the books got finished, but I don't particularly enjoy reading sanderson's bit.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Prairie Bus posted:

e: also how the heck do you cast Liandrin before Elayne?

hell yeah ALL ABOARD THE NO-ELAYNE TRAIN! TOOT TOOT MOTHERFUCKERS

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
if he cant teach two dudes with swords how to beat one guy fresh from his sickbed, he deserves what he got
i firmly believe the reason the younglings won the tower battle was because they were getting some training on the sly from someone who had actually seen a sword before

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

The warders probably weren't trying to kill their students at first and were preoccupied with the Aes Sedai freaking out, while the Younglings probably knew if they went after them they'd have to go all out, so the warders eventually losing seemed possible to me

Also spears and staves are always superior to swords, even without taking Mat's ridiculous luck into account. Two on one is unlikely but far more so than if the weapons had been reversed.
im just saying anyone who bets against two of his best students and on some random dude he's literally never met before doesn't have a lot of confidence in his own teaching ability
(but that is a fair point about the swords, and the battle)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also it seems likely that he wouldn't normally have bet on a man he knew nothing about if that person didn't bend chance and circumstance to benefit his narrative.

If the pattern decided that galad and gawyn needed the poo poo beaten out of them, I can accept it

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Syncopated posted:

That would have been so sick.

the whole thing would have just irritated me because the whole time they would have insisted on having stupid new names

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

rndmnmbr posted:

*sigh* I hate to be one of those guys, but this is starting to look like it's going to land firmly in my "insufficiently accurate to source material" reject pile.

That’s a super dumb reason to reject something, who cares if it’s telling a different story as long as that story is good

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

rndmnmbr posted:

Yeah, yeah, I've had this discussion before. And everyone generally lands opposite of me on this, that the fine details aren't as important as general tone and plot and quality of production, so I can admit I am that guy and should just deal.

But goddamnit I don't want a different story, I want *thumps the spine of EoTW* this on *thumps television* this. There's a right way to do a book adaptation (The Expanse, Good Omens, the first four seasons of GoT) and a wrong way (Preacher, American Gods, the last four seasons of GoT). Adapting the source material to be watchable is acceptable. Adapting to put the showrunner's own unique twist on it is not acceptable. I want to watch the book on TV, not the showrunner's AU fanfic thereof.

I'll shut up about it now, because I know I'm about to get hit by a bunch of backlash because popular opinion says I'm wrong and dumb and have bad opinions. But what I've seen is telling me I'm not going to be pleasantly surprised by WoT the series.

i dont think there's anything dumb in wanting the books exactly, i would be pretty hype for that. but i think its dumb to reject a series without watching it just because it isnt the series exactly, because it might be good on its own merits

(i mean, spoiler, it's not gonna be good, but i'm talking hypothetically here)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It's very weird how specific and descriptive this guy got writing about people blinded by the literal light.

not really. the point of the story is to bring into the concrete what it would be like to live in a sort of old testament biblical situation, and he chose to do that by being painfully detailed about eg what being blinded by the light could mean. the good news is that he's also painfully detailed about a bunch of other weird poo poo, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
she lucks into the role but earns the power (at least until she gets to the tower again, once she gets there it's just that everyone thinks shes awesome and cool with her superpower of being stubborn)