Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Torrannor posted:

It's the chapter Swovan Night in The Crown of Swords, and it's one of my all time favorite chapters in WoT. It's the chapter where Mat realizes that Birgitte is really the Birgitte, where she tricks him into revealing he speaks the Old Tongue, and where they seal a kind of mutual pact of secrecy. "What language do we speak, Hornsounder?" is a truly great moment. And Elayne and Nynaeve get some long overdue pushback for treating Mat like an infant.

Oh yeah, that's a great chapter

Pleads posted:

It's Moridin, he pulls Rand into a dream shard in ToM/AMoL (either the end of ToM or start of AMoL) and it's explicitly stated. They have a conversation about it and everything.

That was a great scene too. None of the usual scenery chewing and trying to intimidate each other like in previous dream meetings, it's just Rand and Moridin sick of all the poo poo going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Vavrek posted:

Seriously, Perrin? For the Light's sake, Perrin?
On my first read-through of the series, Perrin was my favorite character from book 3 to just before Faile is capture or so. I think I identified with his awkwardness.

Lan was my favorite in books 1 & 2 because he's a bad-rear end. After Perrin was Mat for a while, then Egwene from when she's captured by the White Tower up to the end.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

The Rhuidean sequence with Rand was some solid "oh. Oh. Oh. Oh" writing

I kinda regret reading Shadow Rising in middle school because I think I was too young and stupid to really appreciate the significance of that section. It didn't help that my mom (who was also reading the series at the time but was a book or two ahead of me) had complained to me about that part, saying it was a bunch of confusing flashbacks from random unknown characters, so that tainted my opinion of it ahead of time. :smith:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Show runners with cabin (or real) fever so now they're talking about how they're doing the show.

https://www.wotseries.com/2020/03/22/show-runner-rafe-judkins-does-an-ama-on-instagram/

Awww, I was really excited about Lucy Lawless until he said that was for another show :( I really want her on the show now. She'd be a perfect Aes Sedai since she doesn't age irl

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

it's actually not as bad as you remember, because you can smash through it and get to the next book instead of waiting 8 years

It still drags a ton. During my full-series re-read last year, each book took me about a week to finish on average except CoT, which took closer to two months. I felt like I was having to force myself to read it at times. I'm stubborn though and read the whole thing instead of skipping chunks and reading chapter summaries online.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

I haven't seen anything Alexandre Willaume is in, but his face is almost perfectly how I imagined Thom's, even if he may not be the "right age".

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

enigma105 posted:

Ok, but what if one of them was so good at hiding she nicknamed herself "The Spider"? No poisoning or anything, but she has lots of plans she calls webs. They all suck too, like a spider sucks goo out of the fly. Also she holds grudges. Oh, and is a coward. Maybe giving herself a nickname was more of a red flag.

This made me remember a moment I love from the series: when Nynaeve is dueling with her and worrying "At any moment she could unleash her full power, I'll be dead or enslaved in no time, what will I do!?" but then realizes Moghedien already *is* putting all of her power into the fight and that her own ability with the Power is on-par with one of the Forsaken.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Well I guess it was nice chatting about my favorite piece of fiction with y'all.

My first message board experience was actually a Wheel of Time fan site, wotmania. I posted there waaaaay back in high school. It shut down years ago, some of the posters there started a new site, readandfindout.com, but it never really took off. I had moved on to SA by then anyways. I actually discovered this site thanks to a photoshop with an SA watermark somebody had linked in their profile on that site.

Apparently readandfindout is still around, but looks like it gets next to no traffic.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

bloom posted:

Anyway before we all go under the waves let me just say one thing: gently caress Gawyn

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Long time since I've had occasion to open the Big Book of Bad Art (and, jeez, some of this art is really bad).

The WOT tabletop RPG rulebooks had some cool art, they used multiple artists (I think the same ones that did the illustrations for D&D 3e)

I was disappointed, though, to see that myrddraal had hair, I always pictured them as being bald/hairless. And Google shows I'm not the only one, there's some fan-art that's a lot closer to how I pictured them in my head.

edit: for example, art from the RPG

The bowl haircut makes it look like a huge dork (almost literally), takes away from it's aura of fear

This fan-art, for example, is quite a bit scarier and closer to how I pictured them (except possibly the mouth):

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 3, 2021

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Libluini posted:

I disagree, that fanart looks dumb and boring. At least for me, the horror of a Myrddral comes from looking almost Human, but not quite.

This thing looks like a reject from Doom. I'm sorry, but I cannot take something seriously which looks like something the Doom Marine would eat for breakfast.

You know, the more I look at that particular fan-art, the more I agree with you. There's probably better examples of hairless myrddraal, something more human looking, I'm too lazy to look at the moment. But I'm sticking with my main point, myrddraal look dumb with hair, especially with bowl haircuts/bangs.

Brolander posted:

we must consult the Big Book of Very Accurate and High Quality Art. They have Pete Wentz hair

Further evidence.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

I thought about it some more, and I don't really like the fan-art I posted, not a very good example of how I imagine them. For some reason, a bunch of fan-art give them hosed up mouths so I'm having troubles finding one I like.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

My impression of fades was always similar to the pale man from Pan's Labyrinth, so, hairless.
The way I picture them is if you took Voldemort, swapped out the eyes for a nose, and added a Ring Wraith cloak (though I started reading WoT before reading/watching either of those)

edit: Or take Gordon from Agents of Shield and give him a bald cap and some makeup to male him pale

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Except that those are not trollocs on the cover of The Great Hunt.
Maybe they're supposed to be Seanchan?