Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

oh god, do I have to do an effortpost for the op? well anyway we started on horror movie/video chat in the welcome hello & chat thread and I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread. suggestions for things to watch as halloween approaches are certainly welcome, but feel free to discuss whatever vaguely horror-related thing you like, including literature etc.

around this time of year I start looking at the various "top horror films of 2019" lists and there are some intriguing entries I haven't seen. but feel free to discuss/recommend older stuff, and suggestions for shorts/youtube videos are great.

I guess spoiler alerts/tags are probably called for, especially with this genre. but obviously if its something like the sixth sense where at this point everybody on the planet knows that the psychologist protagonist is actually played by bruce willis maybe it's not so crucial? use your judgement & try not to be a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

watch friday the 13th movies and do not stop til jason comes and makes u stop

nut

watch alien but this time treat it more horror than sci-fi and realize it is the best movie of the world

nut

when it's still light out just watch halloweentown unabashedly on the family channel does the family channel still exist

nut

if u were never sure on nightmare on elm street and decide this is the year to dip into one, start with nightmare on elm street 3: dream warriors for a powerfully yob experience

Manifisto

this year I will probably pull "don't look now" off the shelf for a rewatch. atmospheric and enigmatic work well for me; I think one might say that hereditary did a similar slow-burn thing for quite a while, although it ultimately resolves into a much more coherent storyline.

it took me a while to see "get out" despite everyone raving about it, but it was at least as good as everyone said it was. the ending I think is interestingly open to interpretation . . . although maybe not, maybe there's only one reasonable way to see it. did anyone else find it at least arguably ambiguous?

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Goons Are Gifts

I said it before, but if you can and feel strong enough and you are ready (you're not) watch hereditary

Manifisto

kinda interested to check out: High Life, The Perfection, Velvet Buzzsaw, Tigers are Not Afraid, The Hole In The Ground, Hagazussa: A Heathen's Curse, Climax, Darlin'. reactions to any of these, preferably non-spoilery?

ty nesamdoom!

Ceilingfan

Dapperpus
I’ve got a scary story from the rez I do archaeology at

someone told me while we were doing field excavation that nearby last yr they found a prehistoric individual inhumed face down(unusual) with several large flagstones covering them (had to be brought from far away) with no grave goods and the HEAD was missing (very unusual)

the streets on the rez are mostly named after things associated w that region in oral history and the street nearby was “witch st” in the native language

there’s a geoglyph less than a km away that is a witch symbol w the head disconnected(!)

I asked one of my native coworkers and he said that his grandma used to tell him stories about the witch and about how she used to steal away children who wandered too far from the fire at night and cut off their fingers to decorate her furniture because she liked the way the fingernails sparkled

everyone thinks that may have been who they exhumed. the pelvis had female pelvic characteristics. like the flagstones were stacked up in a “aaaaaah STAY dead” kind of scenario.

Manifisto

Ceilingfan posted:

I’ve got a scary story from the rez I do archaeology at

someone told me while we were doing field excavation that nearby last yr they found a prehistoric individual inhumed face down(unusual) with several large flagstones covering them (had to be brought from far away) with no grave goods and the HEAD was missing (very unusual)

the streets on the rez are mostly named after things associated w that region in oral history and the street nearby was “witch st” in the native language

there’s a geoglyph less than a km away that is a witch symbol w the head disconnected(!)

I asked one of my native coworkers and he said that his grandma used to tell him stories about the witch and about how she used to steal away children who wandered too far from the fire at night and cut off their fingers to decorate her furniture because she liked the way the fingernails sparkled

everyone thinks that may have been who they exhumed. the pelvis had female pelvic characteristics. like the flagstones were stacked up in a “aaaaaah STAY dead” kind of scenario.

that's a good story

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

kinda interested to check out: High Life, The Perfection, Velvet Buzzsaw, Tigers are Not Afraid, The Hole In The Ground, Hagazussa: A Heathen's Curse, Climax, Darlin'. reactions to any of these, preferably non-spoilery?

Already mentioned the hole in the ground which I recommend, although it does have some weaknesses. It counters it a lot with being very intense imo, but I can see if someone else might see it differently.
The Perfection is surprisingly nice. Both movies are very intense and focus on the inner life of how people perceive the horror they are experiencing, which either is additionally exciting or rather boring, depending on how big you are into psycho horror and whether or not you demand some action.

Climax also is exciting, however a bit weird. The story is creative, definitely, and there are a lot of very special camera moves and film tricks involved that make it feel super innovative, but I find it somewhat weak on the horror in general. I can say as much, if you consider Requiem for a Dream as horror, then you will also do it here. If not, you may feel like you are watching a psycho thriller or something, which is another tough ride for sure, but not as strong on the emotions and especially the fear.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Riposte:

The Abyss is the greatest film ever made. :colbert:

Goons Are Gifts

hamjobs posted:

Riposte:

Shall I watch it right now? Elaborate please, I'm already hooked

lost my old email

Goons Are Great posted:

Shall I watch it right now? Elaborate please, I'm already hooked

it is the one with the pink fluid

woooooo tiny shout out to deaf sex woooooooo it is spooky and i should have slept more posting up a storm this night wooooooooooooo i say. tiny shout out to mocking quantum also that guy rules. whoooooooooooo

Goons Are Gifts

Does that count as horror? I mean, it's a Cameron but

Manifisto

hamjobs posted:

Riposte:

is that the movie where aliens use a giant water penis to spy on people?

if so . . . yeah I guess you're right

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

oh poo poo spoilers

I mean, is it the movie where aliens use a giant water penis to do . . . stuff . . . to, uh . . . not . . . aliens?

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

Adult Swim also has some super hosed up poo poo but that's well documented by now. If you ever played the full this house has people in it augmented reality game you come out as a different person

thank you, I think, GAG for mentioning this. I went to watch this house has people in it and realized I'd seen it before, but I guess I hadn't given it that much thought. it didn't stick with me like too many cooks and unedited footage of a bear, and I guess I wasn't intrigued enough by it to do the poking and delving that some people did, resulting in . . . well . . . I'm only starting to learn what exactly

I'm not sure how far I'll chase the rabbit down the hole, but it's pretty cool to know about

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

thank you, I think, GAG for mentioning this. I went to watch this house has people in it and realized I'd seen it before, but I guess I hadn't given it that much thought. it didn't stick with me like too many cooks and unedited footage of a bear, and I guess I wasn't intrigued enough by it to do the poking and delving that some people did, resulting in . . . well . . . I'm only starting to learn what exactly

I'm not sure how far I'll chase the rabbit down the hole, but it's pretty cool to know about

Every single one of these is hosed up deep and I am partly glad that they actually went through the thousands of work hours to make this happen. Bear was a fun starter, too many cooks did a step further, but the house is, ugh.

Took me like 3 days to get into it and a lot longer to digest.

nut

Manifisto posted:

this house has people in it was my first dip into all of it and i was wildly active in its arg scene for a while until i hit the brick wall of being technologically incompetent but i love wham city

Goons Are Gifts

While we are at it, this one is creepy, but at least linkable. If you don't know this stuff yet, this served quite well as an entry before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgxSIFcTvLo

nut

Also, alantutorial owns and is his first dip into it all but also very accessible while remaining creepy and weird

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

While we are at it, this one is creepy, but at least linkable. If you don't know this stuff yet, this served quite well as an entry before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgxSIFcTvLo

yeah, okay. I hadn't seen this one before but it's got a . . . hmm, there's structure to it that I think I recognize, that I tend to view a certain way, rightly or wrongly. a don't hug me I'm scared type of thing, among others (and not just youtube videos). it is definitely framed in a very creepy and off-kilter way, although that's maybe not the only way to frame it.

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

It's all somewhat connected to each other, both thematically as well as plotwise, as much as you can talk about a plot in general, plus some extras that are just a thing. In those I think they try to test the waters and see what they can do with this. Either way, surrealism and creepy horror is what comes out of this. Like, Eric Andre is the comedy end, this is the horror end of the same spectrum and I do enjoy it, but it really is not what you can eat up at any time. It's not the ghosts and skeletons that scare you, it's somehow scaring you from inside your own skull and that makes it into one hell of a ride

I honestly wish that they never make an actual movie out of this, because that may have serious impact on innocent horror watchers.

Escape From Noise

I'm all about that Evil Dead trilogy.

Escape From Noise

Happy Halloween from the always fabulous Shaye Saint John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1cafMFIHQ

Escape From Noise

Sorry to post three in a row but the 1977 Japanese horror comedy House is also excellent as heck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Yo06kIIA

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

Every single one of these is hosed up deep and I am partly glad that they actually went through the thousands of work hours to make this happen. Bear was a fun starter, too many cooks did a step further, but the house is, ugh.

Took me like 3 days to get into it and a lot longer to digest.

discussing this stuff in detail is probably not a good idea for this thread, the discussion could spiral way out of control and probably alienate people who aren't interested or haven't dipped their toes in the water. but I'll make a general observation that I think ties this type of thing into other works of art, and horror stories in particular. to what extent do you think the crazy lengths you have to go to to understand the context of what's in the video itself is kind of . . . a primer on deconstructionism? encouraging detail-oriented or puzzle-minded people to chase slight clues and rewarding them for doing so, and thereby implicitly suggesting that lots of other media, actually things of all sorts, can be approached in a similar manner?

ty nesamdoom!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
If you haven't seen Cabin in the Woods yet and you like horror movies, please see it.

Please also see House and House II starring the Greatest American Hero's William Katt in the first one and a cameo appearance in House 2 by Cliff Clavin.

April Fool's Day is also a nice one to watch.

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

discussing this stuff in detail is probably not a good idea for this thread, the discussion could spiral way out of control and probably alienate people who aren't interested or haven't dipped their toes in the water. but I'll make a general observation that I think ties this type of thing into other works of art, and horror stories in particular. to what extent do you think the crazy lengths you have to go to to understand the context of what's in the video itself is kind of . . . a primer on deconstructionism? encouraging detail-oriented or puzzle-minded people to chase slight clues and rewarding them for doing so, and thereby implicitly suggesting that lots of other media, actually things of all sorts, can be approached in a similar manner?

To not get too distracted from the horror movie thread, I'll keep it short.
This kind of stuff in general and especially Alan Resnick in particular as a dedicated surrealist artist is incredibly complicated and deep, but I don't really think to encourage anyone to dive into it, but rather to shoo them away of doing exactly that. Any of these videos can technically be watched on their own, most people will be creeped out, think "what in the living gently caress" and let it be. However, a certain percentage of people will always try to interpret the poo poo out of it. I've seen people interpreting the bear as super political whatever and there are youtubers propagating that or in general trying to analyze it bit by bit to get some sort of meaning out of it. This kind of behavior however robs the surrealistic nature of what is creeping us out there from its core, by stripping some more or less regular thing to it.
Especially Resnick tries to explicitly provoke us to do so, just so he then can shatter it later by going in the exact opposite direction, as seen when he is furiously commenting below famous youtube analyses, writing a bunch of nonsense that seems to entirely deconstruct everything the Youtuber tried to establish. As such, I'd say he and probably surreal art in general is trying to lure us into this rabbit hole to then prove their point of deconstructing deconstructionism. You dive deep and spend several, horrible, creepy as gently caress days to get into this and it all just gets worse and worse until you are scared of your own interpretation.

Especially the house does this. It wasn't even the super hosed up crap that you find when you try to bomb your way through the days of video and audio footage that made me go nuts over it, it was me trying to understand what I was seeing from so many possible angles and sources. I didn't really want to find out anymore after a certain point, but I was and still am deeply fascinated by it.

Psychological horror in general tries to alienate you from yourself and scare you from within, this type of interactive psychological horror takes it to a step further and lures you as the consumer into a terrible void that is infinitely adaptable and thus horrible to understand and your attempt to do so anyways is what really gets you.

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

To not get too distracted from the horror movie thread, I'll keep it short.
This kind of stuff in general and especially Alan Resnick in particular as a dedicated surrealist artist is incredibly complicated and deep, but I don't really think to encourage anyone to dive into it, but rather to shoo them away of doing exactly that. Any of these videos can technically be watched on their own, most people will be creeped out, think "what in the living gently caress" and let it be. However, a certain percentage of people will always try to interpret the poo poo out of it. I've seen people interpreting the bear as super political whatever and there are youtubers propagating that or in general trying to analyze it bit by bit to get some sort of meaning out of it. This kind of behavior however robs the surrealistic nature of what is creeping us out there from its core, by stripping some more or less regular thing to it.
Especially Resnick tries to explicitly provoke us to do so, just so he then can shatter it later by going in the exact opposite direction, as seen when he is furiously commenting below famous youtube analyses, writing a bunch of nonsense that seems to entirely deconstruct everything the Youtuber tried to establish. As such, I'd say he and probably surreal art in general is trying to lure us into this rabbit hole to then prove their point of deconstructing deconstructionism. You dive deep and spend several, horrible, creepy as gently caress days to get into this and it all just gets worse and worse until you are scared of your own interpretation.

Especially the house does this. It wasn't even the super hosed up crap that you find when you try to bomb your way through the days of video and audio footage that made me go nuts over it, it was me trying to understand what I was seeing from so many possible angles and sources. I didn't really want to find out anymore after a certain point, but I was and still am deeply fascinated by it.

Psychological horror in general tries to alienate you from yourself and scare you from within, this type of interactive psychological horror takes it to a step further and lures you as the consumer into a terrible void that is infinitely adaptable and thus horrible to understand and your attempt to do so anyways is what really gets you.

until you realize that it's largely a joke, and the joke is that the only thing frightening you is you

that's an oversimplification, of course

I like your point about "deconstructing deconstructionism," it does feel like part of the point is to show you that chasing rabbits down holes can both illuminate things but also obscure things in a "forest for the trees" kind of way. so it's provocative yes, but (arguably) provocative for a reason. I mean, we're talking about "rabbits and holes," I remember being given "the annotated alice" as a youngster and being really fascinated at the things that people saw in the apparent childish nonsense.

I feel like one could draw a parallel to the childish gambino "this is america" video, which is extremely provocative and, I think, very clever. what you ultimately get out of it (if anything) is more powerful because you're doing the work of unpacking it.

ty nesamdoom!

the unabonger
i greatly enjoy both the old version of suspiria and the new interpretation of suspiria. for pretty different reasons too.

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

until you realize that it's largely a joke, and the joke is that the only thing frightening you is you

that's an oversimplification, of course

I like your point about "deconstructing deconstructionism," it does feel like part of the point is to show you that chasing rabbits down holes can both illuminate things but also obscure things in a "forest for the trees" kind of way. so it's provocative yes, but (arguably) provocative for a reason. I mean, we're talking about "rabbits and holes," I remember being given "the annotated alice" as a youngster and being really fascinated at the things that people saw in the apparent childish nonsense.

I feel like one could draw a parallel to the childish gambino "this is america" video, which is extremely provocative and, I think, very clever. what you ultimately get out of it (if anything) is more powerful because you're doing the work of unpacking it.

Yes! Absolutely. I'm not saying they are not of any message or void of interpretation, actually I did nothing else but interpret the things right up there and the lack of something would still lead to something.

I rather think that we tend to put a lot of stuff into something by analyzing it bit by bit and try to find out what they mean, which often works but here it's kinda mocked by an entire horror genre set up to scare you as soon as you try.

Also it's super loving scary holy poo poo I just rewatched some clips and that's blatant horror in there.

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

Also it's super loving scary holy poo poo I just rewatched some clips and that's blatant horror in there.

I like the bit in "may I please enter" where there's just a ton of tension about the guy being invited in and stepping over the threshold, and then . . . he's just in, nbd

it seems to be playing on the horror trope (speaking of literature) of bad things, vampires in particular, needing to be invited into your home.

one of my freshman lit courses talked about "dracula" particularly through the lens of "reverse imperialism" but also as commentary on multimedia. I wasn't entirely sure what to make of it all at the time because a lot of those concepts were pretty new to me, but it's a really interesting take in retrospect, and cool to think that a number of the ideas resnick is playing with were prefigured such a long time ago.

but then again, going back even further, you've got buddha inviting the demon god mara to tea . . .

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

Have you guys seen his really early video series Alantutorial?

the unabonger
is anyone going to see it 2?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

i flunked out posted:

is anyone going to see it 2?

I read the book forever ago and watched the tv series with John Boy in it and Tim Curry as the Bad Guy so I held off on the movie, because I knew it was going to be a 2 parter.

What I'm saying is I will wait until 2 comes out on Netflix etc. and I will then watch the FIRST one and then the second one.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

the unabonger

Splatmaster posted:

I read the book forever ago and watched the tv series with John Boy in it and Tim Curry as the Bad Guy so I held off on the movie, because I knew it was going to be a 2 parter.

What I'm saying is I will wait until 2 comes out on Netflix etc. and I will then watch the FIRST one and then the second one.

that is honestly a much better way than what I did, which is watch the classic it when I was much younger, get partway through the book and then have a tragedy occur and never continue reading it, and then watch the first of the first recent it on a plane half asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
I enjoy playing the spooked podcast from time to time in my class because the kids love it and are always way more interested in listening to those stories than reading or listening to the "spooky" stories that our textbook has.