Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Have you guys seen his really early video series Alantutorial?

Yes, the original series was his ticket into adultswim, by now he's partially doing it along with adult Swim stuff by weaving it together, which results in hosed up pants.

i flunked out posted:

is anyone going to see it 2?

Yes! The first one was far from perfect, but I like the book and I did like the movie in general, although I do have my doubts if they manage to properly make it happen. Either way, I like the story and their approach to visualize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

Manifisto posted:

until you realize that it's largely a joke, and the joke is that the only thing frightening you is you

that's an oversimplification, of course

I like your point about "deconstructing deconstructionism," it does feel like part of the point is to show you that chasing rabbits down holes can both illuminate things but also obscure things in a "forest for the trees" kind of way. so it's provocative yes, but (arguably) provocative for a reason. I mean, we're talking about "rabbits and holes," I remember being given "the annotated alice" as a youngster and being really fascinated at the things that people saw in the apparent childish nonsense.

I feel like one could draw a parallel to the childish gambino "this is america" video, which is extremely provocative and, I think, very clever. what you ultimately get out of it (if anything) is more powerful because you're doing the work of unpacking it.

So you want a scary story huh? Well let me tell you the harrowing tale of.... The Death of the Author! *noises that are spooky if you interpret them a certain way*

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

So you want a scary story huh? Well let me tell you the harrowing tale of.... The Death of the Author! *noises that are spooky if you interpret them a certain way*

got scared shitless by the sequel, night of the living author

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

The English director/self proclaimed "media terrorist" Chris Morris made a radio program called Blue Jam, which was later adapted for television as Jam. The series REALLY rides the line between disturbing horror, comedy, and absurdism. Chris Morris is great. He's the man responsible for The Day Today, Brass Eye, and Four Lions. He often works closely with Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge) and Armando Iannucci (In the Loop, The Thick Of It, VEEP).

Morris always tends towards the bizarre/disturbing but Jam and especially Blue Jam are the works where I think he pushes these qualities to their most extreme. I enjoyed the series but watching it was also a fairly disturbing experience. Some sketches are pretty much straight horror.

The radio show is a series of bizarre sketches, some with reoccurring characters. Every episode features a monologue by Chris Morris as a man who is clearly going insane. All of these are stitched together by sound collages. It ran for three series and several episodes are available on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/BUePblNU860

Jam is 6 episodes long and is based on a sketch format. It was/is extremely polarizing and I do completely understand why people might not like it. But even then it's structure and editing are both extremely interesting and contribute to the visceral reaction to the show as much as the soundtrack. Dialogue is suddenly and unexpectedly distorted temporarily, smooth video suddenly transitions to a series of pictures like a slide show, and scenes are shot in bizarre color filters with strange lighting.

https://youtu.be/9ZsEdWdo_gY

Fun fact: Chris Morris can take a joke and included a sketch made by other comedians spoofing this show in the extras of the DVD.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I tend to like more psychological/surrealist horror than jump scares and such things so I'll throw in a few recommendations along those lines:

Dust Devil (1992) is a really weird slow burn horror flick about a lady getting mixed up in some weird poo poo in the Australian Outback. Very slow-paced but hypnotically shot.

Berberian Sound Studio (2012) is about a sound designer's decent into madness while trying to score a Giallo-type film. A nice quasi-tribute to Italo-horror ala Argento, Bava ect.

Beyond The Black Rainbow (2012) is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. A girl with psychic powers tries to escape a labyrinthine laboratory disguised as a new-age retreat. Incredible cinematography.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Escape From Noise

Spider Baby or, The Maddest Story Ever Told is a great black comedy/horror finished in 1964 but not released until 1967 due to the producers going bankrupt. It's a really odd piece of film about the last generation of a family with a rare degenerative disease that causes them to become cannibals and their caretaker. Really campy and fun. Released in black and white after most films of the day were color. The theme song is also an absolute banger (later covered by Mike Patton's band Fantomas). And the best part? The whole thing is on YouTube for FREE, my dudes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTrpFBWZM0

Bonus Fantomas cover of the theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGjbDsjuoA8

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 7, 2019

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

nut

if ur into slasher flicks check out this spree

Goons Are Gifts

Kill beell

Manifisto

bump

- signed, a monster who goes bump in the night

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Jolo posted:

I've watched a couple of horror movies this week, one was a lot of fun, the other was no fun at all.

The Banana Splits Movie - based on a Hannah Barbara kids show from the late 60's, is about killer animatronic robots menacing people after a show taping. Uh, the characters were all bland or aggressively awful, the story was incredibly straightforward and didn't really raise the stakes or do anything beyond continuing until the abrupt ending, the jokes weren't funny, the kills were mostly bland. It felt like a movie made by someone who didn't know how movies work. It just felt fundamentally off.

Child's Play (2019) - was a lot of fun! The movie is a significant departure from the old Child's Play movies. The characters were fun, the jokes landed, the kills were inventive. Mark Hamill voices Chucky. I liked it from start to finish and recommend it if you want a horror movie that's not all that scary but is plenty goofy and gory. There's a scene where a kid teaches Chucky how to stab something while saying "This is for Tupac." I recommend it.

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

Just don't watch Terror Toons. A friend and fellow goon and I did so years ago. We thought it'd be like funny or something to joke about. It was not.

Escape From Noise

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra is fun.

Edit: or I remember it being fun. I dunno. Reviews ain't great.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 13, 2019

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

thanks friend, I meant to do this

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Stoner Sloth

I'm sure everyone's seen it... but if they haven't - I recommend 'Fido' as the best zombie movie + Billy Connelly

e: okay it's not exactly scary, but it is awesome

e2: not the teeth tammy, not the teeth

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 13, 2019

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Jolo

Last October I watched a whole bunch of horror movies and I plan on doing the same again this year.

Some of my favorites:

Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3 - I believe these are available on Amazon Prime if you have that. The original Sleepaway Camp is good, but way more of a horror movie than the two sequels. I like it, but the two sequels are more comedy than horror and they're pretty fun movies. One of the problems with talking about these independently is that they feature a large spoiler from the first movie. If you haven't seen Sleepaway Camp and think you'd like to, please watch it before reading the spoiler text. Sleepaway Camp 2 tells the story of Angela, a camp counselor who just wants the kids to behave and act nice. She's ready to murder anyone who steps out of line, and one of the highlights of this movie is just how easy it is to cross the line from good camper to camper who must be murdered as soon as possible. I think Angela decides to kill one of the campers for chewing gum. She then has to continually make up stories to the remaining campers about how the missing campers had to be sent home or decided to leave camp early. The tone of the whole movie is very silly. There are points where Angela kind of rolls her eyes at how many people she has to kill like, "ugh, I'm exhausted, but this killing has to be done and I'm the only one who can do it." It's really Angela's whole character that makes the movie. Not really a horror movie, but more of a weird comedy with the plot of a slasher movie.

Here's a clip from it that kind of showcases the absurdity of the whole thing:
https://youtu.be/kzxz5xezOAI

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Goons Are Gifts

So apparently the guys who made Hereditary also made a new horror film named Midsommar that I accidentally ended up in just today. It's about Nordic culture and holy poo poo.

It's nothing like hereditary (so if you didn't like that one, check it out anyways), but i don't think I can let my pillow down tonight.

Help

Jolo

Goons Are Great posted:

So apparently the guys who made Hereditary also made a new horror film named Midsommar that I accidentally ended up in just today. It's about Nordic culture and holy poo poo.

It's nothing like hereditary (so if you didn't like that one, check it out anyways), but i don't think I can let my pillow down tonight.

Help

Is this out on vid/streaming or did you go see it in a theater? I wanna see it.

magic cactus

edit: I am a moron who cannot read thread titles.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 18, 2019

Jolo

magic cactus posted:

Hello BYOB how is my favorite sub-forum doing today?

ya dun goofed, now you have to watch a spooky movie and tell the thread about it

Goons Are Gifts

Jolo posted:

Is this out on vid/streaming or did you go see it in a theater? I wanna see it.

It's a fully fledged theater movie.
It came out in July in the US and will come out in two weeks here, so I ended up seeing it in a theater preview by surprise and was absolutely not prepared for this.

Goons Are Gifts

Jolo posted:

ya dun goofed, now you have to watch a spooky movie and tell the thread about it

magic cactus

Jolo posted:

fair enough. I accept the challenge.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
In 1974 I was at Mountain Lakes Sleepaway Camp in upstate New York. We had an overnight campout on the other side of the main camp, far away from civilization and right in the middle of New York wilderness near the end of Summer. At the end of the day, after nightfall and while the large campfire we were all sitting around the camp counselors began telling ghost stories to set the mood. Some of them were the usual ones you tend to hear, and were met with groans and eye rolls and exclamations of "yeah, right!".

One of the senior counselors came forward and, seeing the looks of disappointment on all of our faces, knew we had to be sold on a REAL ghost story, one that we couldn't dispute and one we would be sure to keep in the back of our minds later that night, when the fire went out and darkness blanketed your sight.

We were told about the Hemlock Hurdler.

The Hemlock Hurdler was set about 200 years in the past, when a blacksmith in the area was asked to shoe the hooves of a nasty black horse named Nightmare. It was said that Nightmare was unshoeable, and unbreakable- it would be best to just put him down, but the blacksmith wasn't scared. He'd been around horses all his life, and this ornery one wasn't about to stop him. So he set about his task to shoe that horse.

He fired up his forge, getting it good and hot, and began heating up the horseshoe. Once it was red hot, he held it in the tongs he was using and was ready to start shoeing Nightmare.

The blacksmith approached Nightmare slowly, and Nightmare stood still and warily watched the blacksmith. Suddenly, Nightmare turned and kicked the blacksmith in the head, splitting the blacksmith nearly in half! The blacksmith, whether through some reflexive action jumped onto Nightmare, and the blood and gore made im stick to the horse's body as he ran off into the woods.

Many nights afterwards, the legends say- on the night of the full moon you could hear the sound of a horse neighing, and the anguished cries of a man suffering, and the distinct sound that this monstrosity makes when it is coming your way.

Thud, thud, thud, draaag... as Nightmare, his leg broken when he kicked the blacksmith, and the blacksmith's bloodied body, now stuck to Nightmare's- drags along.

"Thud, thud, thud, drag..." the Senior counselor repeated. "THUD, THUD, THUD, DRAG!" and on the last thud and coinciding with the "drag", a bunch of the other counselors jumped out from the shadows yelling "BOO!" making our little hearts skip beats and scram out in fear.

We laughed and giggled and pointed fingers and made fun of the most scared out of us, and eventually we went to sleep.

I woke up a few hours later, the fire went out and the smoke awakened me. I got up to take a leak, and settled back into my sleeping bag. Then I saw it.

I was certain at the time that I saw, through the moonlight and the night mists that were floating around, the Hemlock Hurdler.

So I started screaming. So did a few others, because they woke up and saw what I was looking at.

Then the whole camp was awake, and the look on the camp counselor's faces as they saw the real panic in our eyes had real concern in them because WE were all convinced we saw the Hemlock Hurdler.

By this time whatever we saw was long gone, and everyone had a laugh at it (2 or 3 of the other kids came up to me later on and said they saw it too, to reassure me that we saw SOMETHING anyway) but that's my ghost story.

I'm not gonna tell you I saw the Hemlock Hurdler that night, but I WILL say I most likely saw a horse. The camp had a riding course and many horses so one could have gotten out.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Goons Are Gifts

:ohdear:

magic cactus

magic cactus posted:

fair enough. I accept the challenge.

Have not forgotten about this, just been busy. Still, no time like the present. So I watched David Cronenberg's 1978 film The Brood not too long ago. I'm generally a fan of Cronenberg but had not seen this one yet, so I jumped at the chance to see it in a local theater. Critics call this his "masterpiece". I'm not entirely sure I'd agree. It's a good film don't get me wrong, and it's probably the closest Cronenberg's early films get to "psychological horror" as opposed to the body horror of stuff like Videodrome or Scanners, but I found the plots of those two (however fragmentary) to be more engaging than the plot of The Brood. The story concerns an ex-husband's quest to get his kid away from the custody of his mentally unstable ex-wife who is undergoing a radical type of therapy under the supervision of a nefarious doctor type with *hidden motives*. There's a bit of a slasher-flick sensibility to this one for reasons I'm not going to spoil, so it's interesting to see Cronenberg try to mix two different types of horror here. What body horror there is is surprisingly tame. There was only one shot that gave me a sense of mild disgust. Like I said, this appears to be Cronenberg's most straightforwardly psychological film, and raises some interesting questions vis-a-vis motherhood and female agency. I'd recommend for a first timer to Cronenberg, as it displays pretty nicely his thematic preoccupations without relying too hard on explicit shock/body horror so it's a good litmus test if you want to dive into his works.

Stay spooky friends!

Dungeon Ecology

i am at a showing of the blair witch project at the theater.

i am so scared right now

also bumping Midsommar. super creepy but in a surreal/psychedelic kind of way

nut

i saw and rly liked midsommar especially for being visually so bright and cheery throughout

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

i saw and rly liked midsommar especially for being visually so bright and cheery throughout

that dudes first short film stopped me from watching anything he made but midsommar seems very much my jam

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

Stay spooky friends!

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Jolo posted:

Last October I watched a whole bunch of horror movies and I plan on doing the same again this year.

Some of my favorites:

Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3

Gonna caution my trans siblings to consider skipping these if they've never seen them before.

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

Jolo

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Gonna caution my trans siblings to consider skipping these if they've never seen them before.

Fortunately the sequels completely ignore that part of the first movie, unless I'm forgetting something in them.

A lot of folks (including me) in the October movie watch thread in Cinema Discusso have enjoyed "One Cut of the Dead" available streaming on Shudder. It's a Japanese film that is funny and charming and has zombies. The less you know going in the better. It's one of my favorites this year.

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The sequels do bring it up a few times with some pretty demeaning language iirc. It added to my own poor self image as a kid in a similar way to how rocky horror did.

Fun fact: Angela Baker is played by Bruce springsteen's sister in the sequels. They made one about 10 years ago too for whatever the gently caress reason.

szkud

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Halloween_Tree_(film) Hanna-Barbera made a Ray Bradbury movie narrated by Ray Bradbury and starring Leonard Nimoy. I always thought that everyone knew about this

~(‾▿‾)~

Escape From Noise

Not a horror movie really but would the 1984 movie Repo Man starring Emilio Estivez and beloved character actor Harry Dean Stanton fit? It has aliens and government conspiracies.

nut

friday the 13th is the best scary series it start as a good classic with spooks and fear and over the course of each instalment becomes dumb and amazing and friday the 13th 3 is worth watching (not in 3d just at home w popcorn) just to see how much they tried to focus on 3d gags and hang on them for a dumb amount of time

but what if ur scare easy then watch halloweentown duhhhhh maybe halloweentown II but i don't remember if the second one also has the skeleton taxi driver so don't u scare bear fright down 5 4 3 2 1

nut

then watch jason x for the dumb sleeping bag scene

Heather Papps

hello friend

i was asked to watch Martyrs so i tried but holy loving poo poo i had to stop part way thru and read the plot to make sure i could handle it and the answer was no, buddy, you can't handle it so don't watch it.

very rough stuff but if you are okay with ultraviolence go ahead it's visually stunning.

something about stuff like this i find hard to deal with in real time. i can read junji ito so easily, or text stuff, but i can like, see the page coming and take it at my pace, but if a movie is going to depict extreme violence it comes at it's speed, not yours.

i did like dogtooth tho' but that is maybe not "horror" in the truest sense but it has a overpowering sense of menace.

gonna watch some evil deads today and tomorrow i think!

nut

Heather Papps posted:

i was asked to watch Martyrs so i tried but holy loving poo poo i had to stop part way thru and read the plot to make sure i could handle it and the answer was no, buddy, you can't handle it so don't watch it.

very rough stuff but if you are okay with ultraviolence go ahead it's visually stunning.

something about stuff like this i find hard to deal with in real time. i can read junji ito so easily, or text stuff, but i can like, see the page coming and take it at my pace, but if a movie is going to depict extreme violence it comes at it's speed, not yours.

i did like dogtooth tho' but that is maybe not "horror" in the truest sense but it has a overpowering sense of menace.

gonna watch some evil deads today and tomorrow i think!

if u dunno if u can watch martyrs then i implore u to look at someone peeling open a grilled cheese sandwich and if think that's gross then there is at least one part u might want 2 skp

Heather Papps

hello friend

if the grilled cheese was screaming i don't think i could pull it apart to watch the cheesystringiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death sext

alright folks this is every movie I watched every night this month. if you don't see your favorite spooker on this list It's probably because I watched it last year!

1. Night of the Lepus
2. The changeling (w George c Scott not the other one)
3. Suspiria
4. New suspiria
5. Pumpkinhead
5.1. Prophecy (watched two movies that night)
6. Horrors of spider island
7. c.h.u.d.
8. The gate
9. Zombie nightmare
10. A girl walks home alone at night
11. Friday the 13th
12. Parts: a clonus horror
13. Under the shadow
14. The killer shrews
15. The babysitter
16. Chucky
17. Hell house llc