Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Welcome to the thread for anime fans who also enjoy legal trainwrecks.

If you aren't familiar with why Vic Mignogna is suing several VAs and Funimation, here's the short version: https://twitter.com/tznkai/status/1168218668746051589
edit: Please read the tweet series above for the TL;DR.

If you feel like going through all the legal documents, they're here. For an update on what happened over the long weekend, there's this article from ANN.

On Friday, September 6th, there's a hearing at 10AM. It will not be livetweeted (as per court rules), but expect to see many things posted during the breaks. The usual suspects (https://twitter.com/greg_doucette, https://twitter.com/questauthority) are your best bets for finding the retweets. Vic was subpoenaed on Thursday, but there's a motion to squash the subpoena and he's supposed to be in CA tomorrow, so :shrug:

If I've missed something that really should be in the post, please tell me and I'll add it.

Friday morning edit: https://twitter.com/LizaGaines/lists/threadnought-hearing is your best bet for news during the day. One of the people sitting in (a lawyer) got to keep her phone on.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The whole thing has been an incredible train wreck. Vic's lawyer now forging signatures has to be the dumbest thing to happen in a case that is overflowing with stupid.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kick Vic in the dick

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I. M. Gei posted:

Kick Vic in the dick
SLAPP Vic, surely

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nessus posted:

SLAPP Vic, surely

porque no los dos?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Just because I came across this poo poo elsewhere and we should probably put a stake in the ground on it.

The law does not care in this case if Rael's interactions with Mignogna reach the legal definition of rape! Rael is a defendant, and doesn't have to prove anything. Furthermore, as long as Rael believes she was raped, and was not lying about being raped, it doesn't really matter whether what happened is an prosecution-able rape.

Also, the case is not exactly about one incident. Vic can't keep his loving hands off children, including back when he was 27 and a youth minister or w/e and invited a 16 year old over to pray at a tiny white idol.

It doesn't matter what you think of "cancel culture" or whatever dozens of women have credible accusations against Vic, even before he was Ed. That's all that matters here. If he doesn't want people to call him a pedo he should've loving kept his hands off of children.

(It also doesn't really matter at the base of it if Funimation was a cool place to work or not. Taking part in harassment in the workplace is still harassment. That is so tangential I have no idea.)

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Can someone TL;DR this for me?

Why is this Vic Mignogia guy suing others (Aside from the hope for an easy payoff)? Like, what's his rationale behinds the cases? Is he trying to deflect attention from poo poo or what? I'm having a slightly tough time from the links provided getting a clear picture here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

khy posted:

Why is this Vic Mignogia guy suing others (Aside from the hope for an easy payoff)? Like, what's his rationale behinds the cases? Is he trying to deflect attention from poo poo or what? I'm having a slightly tough time from the links provided getting a clear picture here.

The twitter thread in the OP is probably the closest you'll get to succinct yet detailed explanation. I honestly have no idea why he thought filing a lawsuit would help in in any way aside from him getting very bad legal advice from very bad lawyers.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

khy posted:

Obviously not trying to be super unbiased:

Vic is a voice actor. He famously has played Ed in Full Metal Alchemist, and Broly in DBZ movie (and other poo poo, look it up I guess). Recently Funimation, Rooster Teeth, etc. has said they won't work with him anymore, and in addition several cons have started uninviting him because he keeps trying to corner young ladies into uncomfortable situations. If you care for details you can read here: https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-anime-s-biggest-voices-accused-of-sexual-harassm-1832390505 (but warning it's loving full of descriptions of him forcing himself on people).

Someone started a #kickvic hashtag to get him kicked out of the industry. Chud-mongers started a legal defense fund for Vic milking anime fans like this is their Gamers Gate. This lawsuit is the first of the Defend Vic Legal Fund.

He's butthurt cause people are speaking out against him being an rear end, so he sues an easy target and Funimation. Presumably to prevent others from coming out from fear of reprisal.

The case has been a laughable series of gently caress ups even beyond trying to sue people for libel when you're basically libelproof, such as incorrect filings, late filings, forging notary. It's hard to document it all.

There is (ostensibly) a hearing tomorrow.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

mallratcal posted:

The whole thing has been an incredible train wreck. Vic's lawyer now forging signatures has to be the dumbest thing to happen in a case that is overflowing with stupid.

https://twitter.com/HaygoodLaw/status/1169704145554722817

So, Ty didn't know this, which was why he forged their signatures and fraudulently claimed himself as notary. He could have just had them sign it themselves without notarizing (thus no crimes) or just forged their signatures without notarizing (fewer crimes).

Someone started a thread for people who will be attending tomorrow, so hopefully people will post to it. https://twitter.com/LizaGaines/lists/threadnought-hearing

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

mallratcal posted:

Vic's lawyer now forging signatures

Wait what

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Lemme pull up the filing.

ETA: You want DEFENDANTS JOINT RESPONSE AND CROSS MOTION within the "New" folder at https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1AGmCBHzPvitIw7PDjBSCVPJUzQ2oJern.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 6, 2019

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

https://twitter.com/HaygoodLaw/status/1169704145554722817

So, Ty didn't know this, which was why he forged their signatures and fraudulently claimed himself as notary. He could have just had them sign it themselves without notarizing (thus no crimes) or just forged their signatures without notarizing (fewer crimes).

Someone started a thread for people who will be attending tomorrow, so hopefully people will post to it. https://twitter.com/LizaGaines/lists/threadnought-hearing

Jesus it's even dumber now.

Edit: Greg (the main twitter lawyer who has been chronicling this) now thinks the hearing tomorrow will be all about untangling Ty's bad lawyering. So the hearing on whether the case should be dismissed will end up getting rescheduled.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 6, 2019

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Hope he get's a nice beat down in court. Several years ago when I use to do convention work in larger cons we'd get him in often. We made sure that there was never a situation where he was alone with a woman of any age (we called it a Code Vic) due to all the complaints. But because he brought in a poo poo ton of revenue due to fans wanting to meet him higher staff never really bothered to confront him about the complaints from staff and attendees. Slimey rear end in a top hat, gently caress him. He got away with so much poo poo because of his semi-stardom and size of his fan base.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

subs not dubs

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
gently caress that rapist piece of poo poo. I hope he lives just long enough while rotting in his jail cell, to see everything he owns and his entire legacy go down in flames (as literally as possible).

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I don't know who that is, but all english voice actors belong in jail, for obvious reasons.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I remember reading Vic Stories from con staff here on SA in an Ask/Tell thread about anime conventions years ago, and that definitely wasn’t the last time I heard about his behavior. I thought it was fairly common knowledge so when this whole debacle started I was a bit baffled that suddenly the popular narrative was that Rial et al was making that poo poo up to frame him for (insert reason here). But thinking about it, it’s no wonder that it caught on in the current social climate, just as it’s no wonder that the accusations blew up on Twitter.

It’s become a rallying cry for the usual anti-SJW crowd and those worried that their precious anime is under attack, and that’s the kind of content that makes for popular YouTube videos and gets people fired up.

Add in the lawyers taking advantage of that and you’ve got a massive group of people that see them as heroes protecting the underdog that is Vic, fighting as a resistance against this SJW culture that is trying to ruin their society/their hobby/whatever. This case is the current battleground but once it’s over the war will continue.

I’ve been keeping up with the case and it really is fascinating to see the how the ISWV people view how events are unfolding compared to everyone else. It’s basically the Wimp-Lo scene from Kung Pow on a massive level.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1169688629003862016
https://twitter.com/noctass/status/1169695286668578816

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I remember reading Vic Stories from con staff here on SA in an Ask/Tell thread about anime conventions years ago, and that definitely wasn’t the last time I heard about his behavior. I thought it was fairly common knowledge so when this whole debacle started I was a bit baffled that suddenly the popular narrative was that Rial et al was making that poo poo up to frame him for (insert reason here). But thinking about it, it’s no wonder that it caught on in the current social climate, just as it’s no wonder that the accusations blew up on Twitter.

I remember Vic stories when Livejournal was a going concern.

What's funny is he went after Marchi and Rial when it from the way he talks about them and how Chuck Huber's affidavit (which has now been recalled after Nick touted it as a magic bullet) went on about them he really should have gone after Sabat and Schemmel, but they're men so.

Another fun fact is Beard was not Vic's first stop lawyer shopping. At least two other firms who have litigated defamation cases before told him 'thanks but nah.'

Also for funsies, here's a thread looking at stuff that Nick "Blackface Lawyer" Rekieta has said about the ongoing process:

https://twitter.com/Halfcockedlaw/status/1169925330456522752

(At least one sidenote, 'Mars girl' is MarzGurl, YouTuber and former Channel Awesome contributor who started the #KickVic hashtag which has gotten her as much crap as you think it has.)

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 6, 2019

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CommissarMega posted:

gently caress that rapist piece of poo poo. I hope he lives just long enough while rotting in his jail cell, to see everything he owns and his entire legacy go down in flames (as literally as possible).

Has anyone been locked up for this kinda thing so far? And by that I mean #metoo era outings of sex pests/criminals with mild-to-high levels of influence and celebrity

My knowledge isn't exactly robusto, but it sure don't seem like it. I've never heard of much being done beyond successful civil suits and censure from within their industry.

maybe that differs here since he was creeping on underage girls, but that Senator dude in Alabama sure as poo poo seems to be doing fine

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

a fuller summary of the first half of the events is at animenewsnetwork. presumably everyone else will notice soon. unless you read lawtwitter regularly, but let's keep it briefer

going to provide a quick summary of events since last week that took this case from "nonsense defamation demanding anti-slapp" to "well he used to be a lawyer". standard disclaimer: not a lawyer, going off of memory for the dumbest things, it's been chaotic so there's more than these gems that others have noted, copy this into op or that idc

preface:
this case has been going on for a while, to the point that Ty Beard, presumed layer of Vic, got a month extension to respond to the anti-slapp filings. this extension gave him until august 30th to file a motion to strike. aka. "provide evidence that anti-slapp isn't relevant specifically for every point of claim". every point they didn't answer goes through, there's high standards for this, law twitter figured a couple would make it past it even given Beard's history

timeline via: Beard: Motion to Leave

08/31 12:00am: nothing appears on the docket, defending party counsel starts asking questions. (gather it isn't a great sign if they presume you won't hit a deadline after an extension so stayed up to detail it all)
08/31 12:08am: defending counsel Lemoine emails Beard, states they're late and they'll move to strike if anything is filed
08/31 12:10am: plaintiff counsel Bullock emails Lemione, mentions technical difficulties efiling due to file size, not our fault, sweet dreams
08/31 12:17am: plaintiff counsel Bullock emails Lemione, forwarding submisison failure email. has Date/Time Submitted as 8/31/2019 12:15AM CST. Reason: Secured by security restrictions, please remove password protection and resubmit.
08/31 12:27am: The Filing is filed at the court

chaos reigns. the resposne is 37MB and insanely bad. i mean every lawyer involved had lowered expectations and this managed to missed that bar. lawyer thread ripping it apart: https://twitter.com/fsckemall/status/1168036821651087361

Wednesday:

at this point everyone has fun over the long weekend and notes a couple of Unusual Issues as has been mentioned before. namely the 3 notarised affidavits dated 08/30 - the day it should have been filed.

as a quick explanation of an affidavit: file out a document explaining a situation, lawyer check it over to clean up wording, you all agree on the contents. then you sign it and (normally) a third-party notary stamps it to assert that the person signing a) is who they said they are, b) read the document, c) was there at the time

the 3 people's listed residences are: 125, 141 and 454 miles from Beard's office, but they all appeared before him and it got signed and stamped that day. Beard was in his office the entire time and very public about it, but Slatosch was at a convention in San Antonio that day - 5h drive one-way

no one's buying it to the point that denfending counsel file a joint response to The Filing. it's a quick read with in-line images for all of the fuckups. sanctions are mentioned and Friday 10am looks like it'll be more about Beard's license than the TCPA really

then the real storm happens The Filing is being superseded by a Secondary Filing that looks to have more of the footnotes complete, but the affidavits are gone. instead they're replaced with identical documents as declarations with the notary stamps gone. strange

Thursday:

everyone starts to refocus on the declarations as filings appear by the dozen. there was artefacting around the signatures to start with, but given the amount of times the document was processed no one dug into it. then it became apparent they weren't the same as the original filing, but are oddly similar

top: unsworn declaration, bottom: affidavit Beard notarised
https://twitter.com/levi2150/status/1169678496924393473

https://twitter.com/TheBrownFolder/status/1169700666786353152

current theory is full legal name required for the notarised signature. but where did the rest of the signature come from? meet the BlackJack font

https://twitter.com/TheBrownFolder/status/1169706100465291267

Oh.

things then get stranger as a new lawyer appears on Vic's side. theories abound: are they there to defend the firm from Beard? strange their background is guns and family law, not defamation or anything to do with a conflict counsel.

and then the defending counsel requests a subpoena for Vic to attend the hearing today (Friday 10am). then the plaintiff attempts to quash it, no formal response yet, will he appear?

now i have an hour to catch up to yesterday's events before the hearing starts. lawtwitter is trying to make sure the transcript is public by the weekend as well. this post would be a lot cleaner if i wasn't condensing a week of insanity in half an hour

as noted the filings are generally held here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15oy4VANDr2UMN15dvlfqiM_1Qob3Jpc4

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

current theory is full legal name required for the notarised signature. but where did the rest of the signature come from?
Turns out that isn't true in Texas, but I can't dig through that many tweets to find the one Texas lawyer post.

ETA: Stumbled across it while looking for something else.
https://twitter.com/HaygoodLaw/status/1169710737507438593

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 6, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Turns out that isn't true in Texas, but I can't dig through that many tweets to find the one Texas lawyer post.
it's the strangest decision as it's not hard to find one of his signatures. or get his own client to sign a document. or sign it on his behalf as a declaration (someone mentioned this being fine as well). or just remotely notarise it

a slide that may appear in the court:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Best bet to get updates is to keep https://twitter.com/LizaGaines/lists/threadnought-hearing open.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

IIRC, someone on Twitter told their experience of having Vic in cons and as part of the staff, they had to move Mari Iijima to a different room because Vic was stalking her in the con.

Heckie Holmes
Jul 31, 2008

I've got a long time friend of mine who's been taking Vic's side in this. He'd already been getting very Comicsgate-y over the last year and a half, and I now I find that the people defending Vic are cut from that same Comicsgate cloth. I can't say I'm surprised.

He was telling me that if they are going to fire Vic for what he did, then the Funimation staff should also be fired for those outtakes that had been making the rounds lately. When I told him that's comparing apples and oranges, he just started shouting.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

so i had checked the hearing calendar for the courthouse to get an idea of how long this could go on: https://www.tarrantcounty.com/content/dam/main/civil-courts/DistrictCourts/Dockets/141st-CDC-Dockets/141hearc.htm

quote:

code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Hearing Calendar In The 141st Judicial District Court
                              Starting 09/02/2019 through 09/09/2019
                                   For The  Day Of 09/06/2019
                              Updated September 04, 2019 at 8:32AM
                                                                                       Page:   5
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  09:30AM                                                                                       
  141-302268-18   DENISE D. STEEVES                 CARLOS A FERNANDEZ             (214)333-3333
                  VS                        08/26/2019 DEFN CREST ASSET MGMT INC'S OPPOSED                        
                                            MTN FOR SEV                                                           
                  STEPHANIE JONES, ET AL            SCOTT B PREWETT                (214)800-2863

10:00AM                                                                                       
  141-307474-19   VICTOR MIGNOGNA                   TY BEARD                       (903)509-4900
                                                    JIM E BULLOCK*                 (903)509-4900
                  VS                        VARIOUS MOTIONS                                                       
                  FUNIMATION PRODUCTIONS, LLC,                                                  
                  ET AL                             JOHN VOLNEY                    (214)981-3800
                                                    SAMUEL H JOHNSON               (972)918-5274
                                                    CASEY S ERICK                  (214)672-2138
                                                    J SEAN LEMOINE                 (214)692-6200

01:30PM                                                                                       
  141-290444-17   D. S., ET AL                      DANIEL P SULLIVAN              (817)276-6000
                                                    STEPHEN C MAXWELL*             (817)276-6000
                  VS                        07/22/2019 PLTF E S MTN TO QUASH DEPO BY WRITTEN                      
                                            QUESTIONS OF COLLEYVILLE HERITAGE HIGH SCHOOL AND                     
                                            MTN FOR PROTECTION FROM DISC SUBPOENA                                 
                  USA VOLLEYBALL, ET AL             JAY R DOWNS                    (214)748-7900
                                                    RODNEY M PATTERSON             (214)748-7900
                                                    DIANA COCHRANE                 (214)748-7900
                                                    PRO SE-MERRICK, DAMIAN         (   )   -    

but rumour is it'll be the only case today now, so prepare yourselves

https://twitter.com/HerExcell/status/1169982752600612868

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

things then get stranger as a new lawyer appears on Vic's side. theories abound: are they there to defend the firm from Beard? strange their background is guns and family law, not defamation or anything to do with a conflict counsel.

The prevailing theory is apparently he's there to minimize damages... to Beard's law firm, which makes it doubly hilarious that Vic stans assume he's been brought in as some sort of hired gun to bust the case wide open.

Edit: In case folks wonder who Grisby is, she's a reporter who wrote an article that didn't condem Vic but instead laid out all the facts and those condemned Vic instead so the Vic stans swarmed her and the paper to protest in their own inimitable fashion.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 6, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

so i had checked the hearing calendar for the courthouse to get an idea of how long this could go on: https://www.tarrantcounty.com/content/dam/main/civil-courts/DistrictCourts/Dockets/141st-CDC-Dockets/141hearc.htm

but rumour is it'll be the only case today now, so prepare yourselves

https://twitter.com/HerExcell/status/1169982752600612868

:stare:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Vic stans think Phoenix Wright is a documentary

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

It is extremely shocking to see how many of them think that Vic is the defendant.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

i mean not for the reasons they think it is
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1169989789506035714
i'm hoping papers for a federal case are served immediately

and no objections to the press being there, very common for a private figure in a pre-trial hearing

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i mean not for the reasons they think it is
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1169989789506035714
i'm hoping papers for a federal case are served immediately

and no objections to the press being there, very common for a private figure in a pre-trial hearing

:same:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

oh dear
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1169991257038426113
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1169991626342768640

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1169991626342768640

This is already gold.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Not going well for Vic's side

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the judge may not be in a good mood right now

e: it begins
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1169993396494184454

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 6, 2019

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1169994659994775552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1169997799599030273