Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know which franchise could stand to use the funko "look" and make next to nothing on the designs? The Mother/EarthBound franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Xelkelvos posted:

That's practically all Funkos

yeah give you that

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Nick Rekieta is planning on filing an amicus brief (and yes the deadline for filing briefs has passed.) If you don't know what that means the replies to the tweet should provide ample context.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1308431730475438083

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did it ever come out how much law Nick actually practiced? I know he had his office in the strip mall, but it seemed to be very hard to get actual results of the stuff he'd done in court.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone who's way more plugged into this can probably confirm this, but Nick is a real estate lawyer.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Did it ever come out how much law Nick actually practiced? I know he had his office in the strip mall, but it seemed to be very hard to get actual results of the stuff he'd done in court.

His court record was posted in the threadnaught a long while back. He had 8 that went to trial over a 3 year period. Most of the cases were traffic tickets. lol

Wark Say posted:

Someone who's way more plugged into this can probably confirm this, but Nick is a real estate lawyer.

That's Vic's main lawyer Ty Beard.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo: I forgot. Two real winners, for realsies.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Estates as in trust funds, not real estate (properties)

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The amicus brief was filed.

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1310759486701948929

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

So Ty's incompetence is recorded for all time and now so is Nick's. Unless the court just tosses it out for being late. Nice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This was Nick's master stroke, right? Not mentioning something every lawyer knows about thinking if he didn't mention it they would all forget they could do it, except clearly nobody thought they needed to do it because honestly look at this case.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Correct on all points. *Effort* for literally nothing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Forge posted:

Correct on all points. *Effort* for literally nothing.
Billable hours tho? :thunk:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I mean, Nick has got to realize that even, if by the grace of God, the Appeals courts punts it back down to the District Court to decide the sole issue raised in his brief on the worth of the 2nd Amended Petition, he... has to realize that he even admitted the Amended Petition has no new information to consider really.

So cool, you sent it back down to the lower court just so Chupp can render the exact same judgment as before and probably have a good reason for quadrupling the fees and penalties Vic is on the hook for to get him the gently caress out of court with this nonsense

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MechaX posted:

I mean, Nick has got to realize that even, if by the grace of God, the Appeals courts punts it back down to the District Court to decide the sole issue raised in his brief on the worth of the 2nd Amended Petition, he... has to realize that he even admitted the Amended Petition has no new information to consider really.

So cool, you sent it back down to the lower court just so Chupp can render the exact same judgment as before and probably have a good reason for quadrupling the fees and penalties Vic is on the hook for to get him the gently caress out of court with this nonsense

Self reflection is not a vaunted quality in the conservative sphere. Self reflection = weakness. It is possible that he has never been forced to actually examine his actions and their potential consequences because he has never faced consequences. Toxic masculinity is a motherfucker.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mallratcal posted:

His court record was posted in the threadnaught a long while back. He had 8 that went to trial over a 3 year period. Most of the cases were traffic tickets. lol

Not to defend anyone involved in this (because lol), but unless someone's a criminal lawyer most lawyers spend very, very little time in trial.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Skwirl posted:

Not to defend anyone involved in this (because lol), but unless someone's a criminal lawyer most lawyers spend very, very little time in trial.

yeah but Rekieta is a crimnal, lawyer

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Piell posted:

I wonder if in his town he has billboard advertisements with things like "Fell 'cause the floor too slick? Make the first number you call Lawyer Nick!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Piell posted:

oh, nevermind.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
his amicus brief was probably not that great an idea either.

Somehow he found one of the few options that would both let him file his useless brief and also be an instance of unlicensed practice of law

Because Amicus is Rekieta Media, a texas based company, and Rekieta is the attorney for Rekieta Media filing this amicus brief in Texas...without being a licensed lawyer in Texas. Good job, rekieta.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Self reflection is not a vaunted quality in the conservative sphere. Self reflection = weakness. It is possible that he has never been forced to actually examine his actions and their potential consequences because he has never faced consequences. Toxic masculinity is a motherfucker.

I dunno why I'm reeling from this particular form of legal incompetence given that I see it frequently with much bigger ramifications for their clients on a daily basis, but this is just... fascinating to me that he's even doing any of this.

Like, notwithstanding the damage he does to himself by filing this brief at all (last I checked, pro hac vic is something that requires a process in every state simply so the Bar can actually be able to keep tabs on you and hold you accountable if you put the client in a worse situation, and Nick has not done any of this, and this is a legit ethical problem across two State bars and something that should have been drilled into him for his MPREs, and Nick saying he's a Texas LLC is essentially submitting to personal jurisdiction in loving Texas for no reason), it is pretty loving depressing that he hasn't even thought through the damage that this would do to the person he's trying to protect even if he's successful (him being successful in his argument doesn't magically make the proceedings skip a step; it bunts it back down to the lower court to consider the arguments he says the district court Judge missed in the 2nd petition; it's not going to suddenly revive all of Vic's causes of action, and I know if this does get reversed on a technicality that a superfluous petition should have been explicitly considered, that Judge is going to be pissed).

The grift-urge is just too powerful

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 1, 2020

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

and it's gooooooooooooone:
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1311678668738093057

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

We have not reached the bottom yet

Nick is going to have Ty file the brief

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

We have them where we want them! We are going to totally own the libs! But we can't do it, without your support! Please send more cash!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nice

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Its back on!
https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1311735714003013632?s=20

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

How dumb can you be?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Covok posted:

How dumb can you be?
[Ron Howard narration] Covok regretted asking that question almost right away.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ty Beard: "Late Fourth Quarter, down 66-0. 16 to first down."

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Earlier today I was polishing off the cannabis collection and I had a random thought:

When these legal shenanigans are over I could totally see Vic pulling an OJ Simpson and going off getting himself into major trouble again years down the line. Like he opens his own recording studio as someone speculated, and sooner or later young ladies come in, Vic sees them around his place, one thing leads to another...prison!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agent Escalus posted:

Earlier today I was polishing off the cannabis collection and I had a random thought:

When these legal shenanigans are over I could totally see Vic pulling an OJ Simpson and going off getting himself into major trouble again years down the line. Like he opens his own recording studio as someone speculated, and sooner or later young ladies come in, Vic sees them around his place, one thing leads to another...prison!

Nah, he's totally gonna pull a gun on some hapless dude that bought his prototype bootleg Funko in some Vegas hotel room.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
So when does this end and how much harder can the courts smack them?

They lost a SLAPP motion right? I thought that ended things pretty quick, but I guess the appeals process is as slow as they say.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Stalin posted:

They lost a SLAPP motion right? I thought that ended things pretty quick, but I guess the appeals process is as slow as they say.

i think it all depends on how many times they appeal. this nonsense is almost certainly going to bring attourney fees/sanctions past a mil.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I'm just waiting for Rekieta to make the claim they're taking this to the Supreme Court

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Agent Escalus posted:

How? I would like to note for the record that Vic has zero business skills, he's too lazy to learn, he didn't even spearhead his even legal proceedings, he did his own thing and let a bunch of internet jackasses take over it to prosecute the kulturkampf.

He's not a uniquely marketable product, and no one wants to buy his poo poo. Suing his previous employer has made him toxic in the eyes of everyone who would otherwise work with him.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If he’s bored and still has access to mommy’s money then he could conceivably try to do something besides lie low after the current legal engagements conclude. I don’t have any idea what he would do.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

In case anybody missed it Nicky got thrown out for the second time today for violating Rule 19
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1311772628810637312?s=20

Kinda mystifying that Beard and Nick don't know any other TX lawyers to sponsor the PHV or file Nick's garbage for him so he can get thrown out for lateness but I guess I can understand not wanting to touch this ridiculous mess.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 2, 2020

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

oh there's plenty of texas barred lawyers willing to file it on his behalf...

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Captain Stalin posted:

The anti-SLAPP motions came down in July '19.
The hearing on those motions was september '19.
The order dismissing all claims was october '19.

Since then we've been in appeals, because unlike an anti-slapp motion which does indeed end things pretty quick, appeals are slooooow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

Exercu posted:

The anti-SLAPP motions came down in July '19.
The hearing on those motions was september '19.
The order dismissing all claims was october '19.

Since then we've been in appeals, because unlike an anti-slapp motion which does indeed end things pretty quick, appeals are slooooow.

Yea, I just feel bad for those defendants who're having this nightmare dragged out.

Hopefully it does get kicked back down so the fees and penalties can be adjusted up.