Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

IceAgeComing posted:

I have decided that to build it up they'd do an eight-person tag match with Suzuki teaming with the Up Up Girls against Itoh, Chris Brookes and two other people I don't know yet since this is a work in progress

Aussie Open since they've apparently helped Brookes with the Schaeunfreude shows or Lucky Kid and Gresham since they are a part of CCK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

frankenfreak posted:

Given how much he was (is?) on TV, he pretty much did.

NXT UK is a black hole

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

NXT UK is a black hole

That's just where they run shows.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I may be trying to do something like this

does this look like the right bracket?

I don't want to spam this thread with gifs but I've been slowly running this tournament and Orange Cassidy vs PAC ended in the most OC way possible. He got KO'ed, kicked out at one and then lost because he wouldn't get up. Also he managed to put on his sunglasses while kicking out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Game broken, Red Shoes wouldn't stop a match unless the babyface is actually dead.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hell yeah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I don't want to spam this thread with gifs

These own, feel free to keep posting!

poo poo got busy these last couple of days but I will get the stats together eventually I promise!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I don't want to spam this thread with gifs but I've been slowly running this tournament and Orange Cassidy vs PAC ended in the most OC way possible. He got KO'ed, kicked out at one and then lost because he wouldn't get up. Also he managed to put on his sunglasses while kicking out.

What game is this out of curiosity? Some kind of fire pro?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

What game is this out of curiosity? Some kind of fire pro?

the newish Fire Pro Wrestling World. There's a version on PS4 and Steam, both have a bunch of online creation databases, but Steams is much easier to use and bigger.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I should point out that I'm using the official wrestlers when available and downloaded wrestlers when they aren't available, and some of those may be built with either way too many points or way too few, we'll see! Whoever programmed Okada's CPU logic did great, he attempted the rainmaker about 16 times and was countered every time. Never tried to pin Darby once, which almost cost him the match until he locked in a submission and beat him. Orange Cassidy's CPU logic seems to be 75% loving around, which is great.

Samoa Joe choked out Will Ospreay with a sub out of nowhere.

I just figured out how to record my screen so I don't accidentally miss out on stuff with gifcam so I'll hopefully have some slightly better gifs for the rest of the tournament.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Can you post a link to the Orange Cassidy you grabbed (I assume it was just the first result but man an Orange Cassidy with proper loving around AI would be great)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I would loving love to see a write-up with gifs of the matches, either here or in its own thread, this looks loving awesome :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The official Okada is set up to be more fixated on that stupid cobra clutch than the rainmaker.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

He's wearing long boys in his default attire so it makes sense that he would have poor decision making skills in his CPU logic.

edit: this is the OC I've been using https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1770023850&searchtext=orange+cassidy

CHaKKaWaKka fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 6, 2019

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When's the last time Okada even used that move in real life?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lmao at all the clowns in this thread that didnt have darby allin at #1

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

:siren: The tournament continues :siren:

Maki Itoh vs Minoru Suzuki
The world's cutest wrestler vs the man with the worst personality in the world.
Maki Itoh Respect Army please don't look. It's a very bad time to wear red and white around Minoru Suzuki. I'm not even sure he noticed he wasn't fighting Liger. Maki Itoh did manage a few body slams but otherwise it was all Suzuki until he forced the tap with the octopus stretch.

Toru Yano vs Chris Jericho
The Sublime Master Thief vs The Guy Who Got His Belt Stolen.
This was an all out war on testicles. Red Shoes decided to allow YTR to repeatedly strike Jericho in the balls as revenge for what he did to his son, but then Chris Jericho turned the tables and took his own revenge one testicle at a time. From the beginning of the match it was clear that Jericho was the better wrestler, hitting a frankensteiner and a big tiger suplex on the outside, but YTR almost got the better of him multiple times with rollups. In the end YTR's cardio failed him, as he couldn't get up after a pin attempt which gave Jericho enough time to get YTR in the Walls of Jericho and force the tap.

Naito vs SANADA
The guy who yells tranquilo vs the guy who is tranquilo.
Please do not read the spoilers unless you are extremely tough & hard mentally. This was a very short match, in which SANADA performed well until Naito broke his neck and then decided to go full tranquilo on him. I'm sorry, I wish there was more to say about this match. Rest in peace SANADA.

'Switchblade' Jay White vs Zack Saber Jr.
The guy who counters every move into the Bladerunner vs The guy who counters every move into a different submission
ZSJ showed his technical prowess early on in the match, getting the better of White in most exchanges, tripping him up and setting up submission holds. Jay White eventually gained control of the match after hitting ZSJ with a chair and then hitting a Blade Runner on top of said chair. He decided that ZSJ needed more punishment and didn't go for the pin, hitting ZSJ with some big moves and finishing the match with a uranage that folded ZSJ in half.

By the way, is there a way to embed anything other than gifs in a thread? These gif filesizes seem way too big so let me know if there's a better way to do this.

CHaKKaWaKka fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 12, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thank you CHaKKaWaKka. achaKKaWaKkakakaKa. I am mad about the results of every match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

These are awesome.

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

By the way, is there a way to embed anything other than gifs in a thread? These gif filesizes seem way too big so let me know if there's a better way to do this.

Currently I believe (I've asked for further clarification from the the admins) you can put in thumbnails for webms and gifvs but they'll only show a thumbnail you have to click to play, but mp4s will only show up as clickable urls.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Good to see that FPW match ratings are not trying to emulate Meltzer. :v:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I can't believe SANADA is loving dead :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I've been informed mp4s, gifvs and webms can all be embedded, they just don't show up as anything but links in the preview panel.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can I get that Sanada/Naito match tattooed on my chest?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Benne posted:

I can't believe SANADA is loving dead :gonk:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Todo es destino

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So.... stats!

Let's start with the easy stuff. 114 Goons posted lists of their Top 10 Favorite Active Pro-Wrestlers over three weeks, which resulted in 202 individual wrestlers being selected. Of those 202 wrestlers, 46 were female and 157 male, with 24 specific promotions listed as well as a number of independent/freelance wrestlers.

The Others categories includes the above mentioned freelancers, but also AAA, All Japan, Big Japan, CMLL, IMPACT, Pro-Wrestling Freedoms, Pro Wrestling Noah, WWN, and Zero1, all of which were below the cutoff threshold of 5 wrestlers I chose to keep the chart from being too packed. Others (Joshi) includes Diana, Gatoh Move, Marvelous, Oz Academy, Pro-Wrestling Wave, Sendai Girls and Tokyo Joshi Pro.

I was unable to get a complete listing of ages for all of the submitted wrestlers, so the following data is not necessarily accurate:
  • The youngest wrestler submitted was Mikoto Shindo, at 18 years.
  • The oldest wrestler submitted was Jushin Liger, at 54 years old.
  • The average age was 32.8, roughly the age of BIG E, Chad Gable, Charlotte Flair, Chuck Taylor, Dalton Castle, Jon Moxley, Kzy, Matt Riddle, Nyla Rose, PAC, Seth Rollins & Slex
  • The youngest male was Jimmy Lloyd, at 21 years.
  • The oldest female was Aja Kong at 48.

As I mentioned often during the course of people submitting their lists, the weighting given to the placement of your picks in the Top 10 had a large influence. The following is a breakdown of how the wrestlers did on each of the ten spots on the list, with each result giving a very different picture than the eventual overall top ten.

The following is a visual breakdown of the Top 10's votes, which gives a fairly strong indication of just how enormous Tomohiro Ishii's lead in the #1 spot on everybody's picks was, despite coming second overall.

The following pretty much nails it down as to why Okada was able to not only beat Ishii in the end but by a significant margin. While Ishii trounced Okada in the #1 picks, Okada beat him in the #2 - #4 spots handily, and those added up. The #2 picks in particular really spelled Ishii's doom, as added to the #1 picks they kept Okada ahead of Ishii who did better numbers lower in the ranks where the points weren't as heavily weighted.

This was a lot of fun, if a lot of work, and I hope these stats add some interest to the final results as well. We now know who Rowdy Ringsports' favorite pro-wrestlers are, and now that AEW is upon us and the likes of NWA Powerrr is getting a lot of buzz, it will be really interesting to see how if at all this changes in, oh let's say a year from now? Certainly faster than the 12 years between this thread and the one about our favorite wrestlers of all time, anyway!

Finally, purely for interest's sake, here is a complete ranked listing of every vote made. Thank God for Excel and automated counting:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 14, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But wait... there's more! We all predicted and got a consensus view as a result, but who is the most (and least) in tune with the Rowdy Ringsports mindset? I kept track of all of your Top Ten Lists and compared them to our final results. For every wrestler in a goon's top ten who ended up in the overall top ten, I gave that poster 1 point. For every wrestler in a goon's top ten who ended up in the EXACT place as they did on the overall top ten, I gave that poster 2 points (thus a perfect match to the overall top ten would be worth 20 points).

So who knows us better than we know ourselves? SatoshiMiwa and GlenMR, that's who! With 10 points each, SatoshiMiwa technically places first as they correctly listed Okada, Moxley and Omega's places on the poll as well as including Ibushi, Ospreay, Ishii and Jericho. GlenMR "only" picked Bryan and Moxley exactly, but had Ishii, Ibushi, Omega, Jericho, Suzuki and Ospreay on their list to bring them up to equal standing. Artelier did a solid job picking Okada, Bryan and Jericho in the exact right spots but only got Moxley, Ishii and Suzuki on their lists, and Jaragoh got Jericho and Omega exactly right with another 5 wrestlers from the overall top ten in theirs. Kim Justice got a phenomenal 8 spots on the list right but only put Ishii in the right place.

GEORGE W BUSHI, Sticky Nate, Venomous, IceAgeComing and stab all had lists completely at odds with the overall Top 10, but of course this was a list of their personal favorites and they can like whoever the hell they want!

code:
SatoshiMiwa	 	10
GlenMR		 	10
Artelier	 	9
Kim Justice	 	9
Jaragoh		 	9
Jerusalem	 	8
Benne		 	8
remusclaw	 	8
Hellblazer187	 	8
Baron La Croix	 	8
Dell_Zincht	 	7
Fauxhawk Express 	7
Yaramund	 	7
Incessant Excess 	7
El Generico	 	7
mary had a little clam	7
Jesus WEP		7
harperdc		7
UnlimitedSpessmans	6
RealFoxy		6
ShadowedFlames		6
Defiance Industries	6
Punch McLightning	6
Seams			6
Gaz-L			6
SalTheBard		6
CHaKKaWaKka		6
Takuan			6
Accident Underwater	6
BodyMassageMachine	6
JUNGLE BOY		6
Borrowed Ladder		6
Helicity		6
The Berzerker		6
Psycho Mantits		6
Adaptabullshit		6
AlmightyPants		6
Netsky			6
Grant DaNasty		5
Veryslightlymad		5
Huntman			5
Fentry			5
DLC Inc			5
Schneider Heim		5
Kevino07		5
Chinston Wurchill	5
SamuraiFoochs		5
chirico cuvie		5
Dacap			5
naM sdrawkcaB		5
Anders			5
Suplex Liberace		5
Bard Maddox		5
Mjeff			5
STONE COLD 64		4
The Kingslayer		4
The Croc		4
forkboy84		4
Cavauro			4
John Dudebro		4
TTBF			4
ThePariah		4
Low Desert Punk		4
lost my old email	4
extradite THIS!		4
NienNunb		4
Dimebags Brain		4
Saul Goode		4
Drew McIntyre		4
boytree			4
Lead Pipe Cinch		4
fadmonkey		4
TriffTshngo		4
Pinwiz11		4
is pepsi ok		4
Eat My Fuc		4
frankenfreak		4
TV Zombie		4
SG Bamboo		3
insertnamehere31	3
Thauros			3
beggar			3
TheJunkyardGod		3
Male. Bi. Unix.		3
Power Windows		3	
I Before E		3
try the new taco place	3
Jordan7hm		3
Queer Salutations	3
karmicknight		2
Mr. Swoon		2
Gumball Gumption	2
CombineThresher		2
super macho dude	2
spamman			2
PublicOpinion		2
DeathChicken		2
Conrad_Birdie		2
Draxion			2
Cruiserweight		2
Rarity			2
Beef Jerky Robot	2
DarkstarIV		2
WatermelonGun		1
Super No Vacancy	1
Kungfu Grip		1
SLUM KING		1
Big Dave		1
Stone Pitbull 141	1
GEORGE W BUSHI		0
Sticky Nate		0
Venomous		0
IceAgeComing		0
stab			0

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 13, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

drat, absolutely 0 of my guys made the top 10? My hipster cred is restored.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

This was very cool, thank you for doing this.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I skipped out of this thread once I realized I had become so jaded on wrestling I could no long manufacture a top 5 list, must less a top 10.
My big takeaway was...
"Wait, isn't Minoru Suzuki the Mecha Mummy match guy?"

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Big Tam Tomohiro Ishii Stone Pitbull 141 Tough & Hard Bite You is Big In Rowdy Ringsports (& America)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ChrisBTY posted:

I skipped out of this thread once I realized I had become so jaded on wrestling I could no long manufacture a top 5 list, must less a top 10.
My big takeaway was...
"Wait, isn't Minoru Suzuki the Mecha Mummy match guy?"

Yes, yes he was. He was also a founding member of Pancrase, the MMA/worked shoot group where Ken & Frank Shamrock and Bas Rutten made their name before UFC. And he did mocap for Tekken's King character. And he's 51 years old. And he's one of the best wrestlers around today.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Minoru Suzuki has like one of the greatest hero's journeys of all of wrestling.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Wow, branded as a wrestling hipster, smh

Of course, this means my wrestling opinions are automatically much more Good and Correct than all yours, so you're clearly all a bunch of marks for voting for Okada :smug:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Venomous posted:

this means my wrestling opinions are automatically much more Good and Correct than all yours

Taichi at 2nd, quote checks out

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thank you so much for the wonderful tournament and writeup J-Ru! I thoroughly enjoyed all the writeups and the stats updates, and am pleasantly surprised I got true joint third place!

Just for fun, I counted up Okada's total number votes, and he placed 63 times in the top 10, which is 55% of the total voting population! And of those 63, a good 45 of those votes were for top 3.

Ishii got 56 votes total, 49%, just shy of half, but only 35 were for top 3.

And it's dinnertime so I stopped there. I was just curious about the exact numbers since I don't think J-Ru mentioned the total, but I might have skimmed them. Thank you again for all your hard work, this is a blast, and I can't wait to play again if it ever comes round.

PS - That GameFAQs like quiz-menu a few pages back was also great. I did it at a family dinner and forgot to screencap, but I do remember that my top 4 was in the exact same order but everything else was messed up from then on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks, and also for the neat percentages, that's pretty cool :)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

This is fantastic work, thanks for putting it together!

Cementing my legacy as "somewhat popular, if safe, opinions on wrestling".

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

lmao at all the clowns in this thread that didnt have darby allin at #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

:siren: The tournament resumes :siren:

I'm going to try to embed these mp4s but you might have to click on them if you want to view the absolute best count out tease in the history of this thread.
Edit: I tried but they didn't show up

First up is Velveteen Dream vs Kota Ibushi,
The guy who tweets to defend Vince McMahon vs The guy who doesn't know who Vince McMahon is

This was a pretty back and forth match, with Ibushi going for big strikes and Dream dropping elbows and doing body slams. It turned into an extended false finish sequence about 10 minutes in after Kota hit two Kami Goye's and then got hit with a Purple Rainmaker. He briefly came back but got hit with another Purple Rainmaker and that was it for Ibushi.

Aja Kong vs Tomohiro Ishii
The Brainbusting Brawler VS The Brainbusting Brawler
It's Aja Kong vs Tomohiro Ishii. Despite being complete opposites, these two are very similar in terms of wrestling style, which is to say any wrestler getting in the ring with either of them finds themselves in a desperate struggle for survival. This was the longest match of the tournament so far at just over 30 minutes, and it was probably the best match of the tournament as well, because Ishii is the best wrestler in the world. Ishii and Kong just went to town on each other's skulls with brainbusters and piledrivers for half an hour. Ishii almost won by count out after hitting a Steiner Screwdriver outside of the ring, but Aja got back in the ring at 19, bringing a chair with her. She struck Ishii with the chair but then he got back up, dropped her on her head, headbutted her and hit a lariat for the victory.

Cody Rhodes vs Nick Gage
Wrestling Royalty VS The King, or "I also just got zelda's horse with the royal bridle/saddle." VS "What is this poo poo supposed to be you guys are hosed up is that an alien"

At 30:34 this is the second longest match of the tournament so far which is exceptional considering Nick Gage was exhausted 3 minutes in. This was another brutal match, although it did not devolve into a death match and there were no weapons used. Nick Gage dropped Cody on his neck multiple times but his lack of conditioning meant that he was never able to capitalize and go for a pin. Also he's got the slowest walk speed in the game and it's hilarious when he's running the ropes. Anyway, after half an hour, Cody hit the Cross Rhodes and then a reverse figure 4 for the tap.