Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
1)Tomohiro Ishii
What a revelation. Eye popping matches across the board, absolutely what I want in a pro wrestler. He's tough and hard, picking exactly the right pace with when to completely no-sell offense. I think my favorite spot has become someone unloading on Ishii, who keeps screaming at them to hit him harder, and somehow, the person who is actually attacking has found themselves backed into a corner, eyes full of panic.

2)Kazuchika Okada
Then you have the best wrestler alive, I guess.

3)Adam Cole ...Bay Bay...
I love how he's as surprised as anyone after he wins a match, and his timing is absolutely absurd.

4)Pete Dunne
The tattoo sucks, but this guy absolutely is a feral little badger so I feel like I understand what he's going for. Maybe I'm a sadist, but I love how gleefully he goes after an opponent's digits in a fight. And also the limbs. Pete Dunne fights always seem like the other guy gets ground down to absolutely nothing by the time he's done. His two year reign made just about everyone he fought look good, and it wasn't for the lovely developmental not allowed rule, I'd have voted him as champ of the month in, while not all, probably most of those polls.

5)Shingo Takagi
This might be the most high-octane wrestler alive today. The combination of explosive speed and power is unreal, and, like Ishii, I love just his absolute slug-fests he puts on with everyone else. He's had the best two matches this year, so maybe I'm underrating him. (vs Ospreay, vs Ishii)

6)Chris Jericho
Probably the most charismatic wrestler still active. Chris can get anything, and I mean, anything over. He's a medical marvel, working consistently (except when he's on tour) for an unfathomable amount of time. And the key to what makes Jericho so good, perhaps the greatest ever, is he doesn't let himself stand still. Like, Jericho is always, always, always reinventing himself, taking little pieces here, chucking out pieces there..... he doesn't allow himself to grow stale, and that has, in turn, kept him not just active, but extremely relevant for the entirety of his long and storied career.

7)Minoru Suzuki
Ok, maybe I'm a sadist, but I love how much joy he has in just hurting his opponents, the terrifying I have won smile he gets on someone's face when he goes into a choke. Actually, can we talk about that choke for a second? How the loving hell is Suzuki so fast and smooth? Not just for a fifty year old. For anyone. He effortlessly slithers around his opponents and it never stops being impressive.

8)The Velveteen Dream
He goes the extra mile. All the pomp in all his big matches. He fights with the power of the 80s, but what that really means is he's powered by cheese. Him having Hogan's old "YOUUUUUUUU" spot is somehow perfect. The way the character is portrayed, I absolutely believe he can power up this way. He's successfully portrayed himself as having such a huge ego, he needs to have that crowd going to actually win. He's like the Guardian of the Shi'ar empire. Only a wrestler.

9)Jon Moxley
His body language is incredible. Mox consistently puts out a vibe that, more than anything, he just wants to have a mother-fuckin' fight and I am here for that. I love some of his mannerisms and some other folks need to adopt them. A prime example? When he made his debut into AEW, and he did that twisting way of standing up? The incredible menace that projected off of that was amazing. Pay attention, all wrestlers. Not all "moves" are attacks in the ring (Mox is way better in this regard than WWE led me to believe, too. That Regal Knee is gorgeous). Pay attention to Mox, because he's got next level game on moving in general.

10)Zack Sabre Jr
I am definitely a sadist. The absurd and smooth ways this guy goes into all of his moves is just unreal. He's so creative. If you can't appreciate his technical style, I'm not sure we can be friends.

GET WELL SOON: Tommaso Ciampa
I hope to one day have a woman I can look at with the same level of love and joy that Tommaso Ciampa looked at his NXT Championship Belt.
~~~~~

To recap, to be an excellent wrestler, you need the following attributes, in order:
1)Toughness
2)Storytelling
3)Timing
4)A mean streak
5)Another gear
6)Adaptability
7)Sadism
8)Presentation
9)Menace
10)Technique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
NO VOTES TO COUNT IN THIS POST

God, this picker is cruel. I'll go through a few matches in a row that are either no brainers or "I have no idea who these people are" and follow it up with one that makes me physically uncomfortable and declare "Oh, my children"

my original 10 posted:

1)Tomohiro Ishii
2)Kazuchika Okada
3)Adam Cole
4)Pete Dunne
5)Shingo Takagi
6)Chris Jericho
7)Minoru Suzuki
8)Velveteen Dream
9)Jon Moxley
10)Zack Sabre Jr.

And then

The picker thingy suggests posted:

1)Tomohiro Ishii
2)Shingo Takagi
3)Kazuchika Okada
4)Adam Cole
5)Pete Dunne
6)Aleister Black
7)Jon Moxley
8)PAC
9)Minoru Suzuki
10)Toru Yano

I may admit, I'd gone so long without PAC in my life that I forgot he existed. Among all the reasons to get into AEW, that's gotta be the top of the list.
Also, when I made my list, I suspected I was rating Shingo quite low.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rarity posted:

I wanted to put in my old WWE faves cause it's not their fault WWE books them like poo poo but just realised I ignored Minoru Suzuki even after his Royal Quest showing :ohdear:

drat, I'm gonna miss you, Rarity

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SG Bamboo posted:

Ishii vs Taichi G1 2019
Ishii vs Taichi Dominion 2019
Ishii vs Taichi New Japan Cup 2019

Ishii motivates Taichi like no-one else does and it's glorious

"Everyone says he motivates Taichi, so I wonder how/when that'll come out in this match."

>Bell ring<
"AXE-BOMBA!"

:stare:
...all... all right.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
drat. Thread ends like, two days before at least eight guys on my list are displaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
2011? Holy hell, People aren't lying, the factions are way too drat stagnant