Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m playing the Witcher theee and I’m going to experience this “ploughing” masterpeace for the first time. I am at the beginning and I just unlocked Gwent. If anyone wants to join me for a simulplay, chat about lore or just share some Scottish dwarf memes, this is the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’m replaying it and just being an absolute dick to everyone I encounter; picking the negative responses every time

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The combat still blows goats just like the Witcher two but the quests are so addictive. So far I get better rewards just chasing question marks in the forest but I wanna see things through.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I will play this again one day and it will own just as much as the first time.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The combat still blows goats just like the Witcher two but the quests are so addictive. So far I get better rewards just chasing question marks in the forest but I wanna see things through.

Yah the whole ‘open world exploration’ part of the game is in an awkward place because I dread going to more than like 2-3 marks, but skill points are so important that I have to scour the entire map for shrines

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0PmBWSO5_0

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

julian assflange posted:

I will play this again one day and it will own just as much as the first time.

:hai: but I think I’m going to reread all the books first, I didn’t read them until after I beat 3 so I missed a lot of context for everything

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The combat is terrible at the start, but it gets better the more you flesh out your build. It never gets Great or even Good, but it does become bearable once trash mobs don't take 8 minutes to kill.

Enjoy one of my favorite games of last year & all time OP.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

winds howling...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I just bought this again to play on PC. I've played through the first 15-20 hours or so up to Skellige like 3 times now (first i wanted to restart because i stopped playing for a long time, second time i had to restart because i lost my save) and now I guess I'm going to do it a fourth time. Not really mad about it but I'm excited to see the other half of the game eventually lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

goferchan posted:

I just bought this again to play on PC. I've played through the first 15-20 hours or so up to Skellige like 3 times now (first i wanted to restart because i stopped playing for a long time, second time i had to restart because i lost my save) and now I guess I'm going to do it a fourth time. Not really mad about it but I'm excited to see the other half of the game eventually lol

Ganbatte, gamer.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

love this game. been meaning to replay it with a bunch of mods, one of the devs released a huge rebalancing mod that makes lots of interesting changes, and theres stuff like the skateboarding mod that lets geralt shoot through the world super fast and disables fall damage lol

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I plan on replaying the whole series in 2020 and doing the human path for 1 and 2. I went scoiatel exclusively in my first run.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-BOuN41vU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Still have to finish blood and wine. Crazy that once you're done with the main quest there's still a whole other game and a half waiting for you.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Pam pa ram. Pam pam pa ram

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

tao of lmao posted:

I plan on replaying the whole series in 2020 and doing the human path for 1 and 2. I went scoiatel exclusively in my first run.

I played the entirety of 1 one winter when i had no internet and nothing else to play and i cannot imagine ever doing it again

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The dad from The VVitch voices every NPC with a bowl cut. The perfect game

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I played the entirety of 1 one winter when i had no internet and nothing else to play and i cannot imagine ever doing it again

I’m looking forward to playing one again more than 2. I hated 2.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
just beat it plus dlc for the first time a couple months ago, enjoy OP. Real good gaming.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SpaceAceJase posted:

Pam pa ram. Pam pam pa ram

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The combat is terrible at the start, but it gets better the more you flesh out your build. It never gets Great or even Good, but it does become bearable once trash mobs don't take 8 minutes to kill.

Enjoy one of my favorite games of last year & all time OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP0qT4VXWyc

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
a slow burner .. takes about 1 minute to really get to the exciting bit

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lmfao.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I played this a bit more. I’m kind of getting skill paralysis and I dunno what to choose. So far I maxed out weak strikes and I’ve been putting points into the poison blades skill because I like using oils. I like to prepare for the fights but the combat is comically bad and I just want it over ASAP.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Use the essential quality of life mods like auto oils and map markers and slim geralt

Roll everywhere in battles

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Never really figured out how to feel about this game except that I liked Gwent. But I beat almost all of it. Didn't beat Blood and Wine though. *wanders off*

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i like it. except for the gameplay

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Never really figured out how to feel about this game except that I liked Gwent. But I beat almost all of it. Didn't beat Blood and Wine though. *wanders off*

Gwent ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LChasT9ZWck

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
never really bothered much with oils and poo poo, just sword + dodging and some grenades . all u need for Death March if youre interested in trophies and acievements and that sort of poo poo. heres what i learned about the sword combat ... the dodge has iframes, but most monsters have at least 1 move that dodging doesnt work on no matter how perfectly you time it or even if you literally actually cause the move to miss you, by using the dodge button. it wont hit you if it misses while youre not using the dodge button though. and theres no way to tell which one it is its different for each monster. also if you hit a monster too much itll counter with another unblockable hit or combo that it only uses if you hit it too much. but then theres some monsters like the one in my video where if you hit them with a specific timing they cant move or do anything at all. in short its stupid

the magic is just too overpowered feels kind of fail to use so i never used any it. also you should turn all the ? markers off on your minimap and only open your map to track them down .. that way you wont get distracted every 2 seconds and if you find stuff its cos you actually found it instead of going to the question mark on the mini map. in fact turn every bit off the hud off that you can if possible cos most of its useless mmo type stuff like cool down timers and crap.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i also recomend ignoring oils too. going itno your menu every time you fight something to neck a potion and oil your weapon up is stupid. if you dont do that youll have more fun. and if youre on ps4 keep your inventory as empty as possible or it takes like 20 seconds to open lol. well thats all my tips for making the best of the gameplay. enjoy the rest of it which is good

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I already downloaded the auto apply oil mod :dukedog:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

i also recomend ignoring oils too. going itno your menu every time you fight something to neck a potion and oil your weapon up is stupid. if you dont do that youll have more fun. and if youre on ps4 keep your inventory as empty as possible or it takes like 20 seconds to open lol. well thats all my tips for making the best of the gameplay. enjoy the rest of it which is good

Hurr yeah let me not use the 30% damahe buff against the dipshit ghoats so this terrible combat goes on longer or blast idiots with aard and 1hko them while they flail around for some reason

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I played this a bit more. I’m kind of getting skill paralysis and I dunno what to choose. So far I maxed out weak strikes and I’ve been putting points into the poison blades skill because I like using oils. I like to prepare for the fights but the combat is comically bad and I just want it over ASAP.

I liked the idea of Oils but never bothered with them much outside of big time boss battles. Obviously if you're on PC and have the auto oil mod then use it, but for me.. I got the most lasting use out of the Red Skill Tree (I forget the name). Those skills are really all you need for the start of the game & even beyond depending on your play style.

Later on you might wanna swap to a more Sign heavy build which is the end game equivalent to the red tree. Especially if you plan on doing the dlc. Blood & Wine has some supremely annoying enemies that are made less so with hella sign buffs.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I tried a green skill tree run for my first time playing, since the aspect I always liked the most about fantasy monster hunting is the idea that they are the stronger superior beings and that we have to beat them with ingenuity and cunning, rather than just being impossibly good with a sword or using literal magic.

But the combat was so tedious and I was still mostly using spells anyway, so I switched to a magic/sword build and never looked back

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

Hurr yeah let me not use the 30% damahe buff against the dipshit ghoats so this terrible combat goes on longer or blast idiots with aard and 1hko them while they flail around for some reason

whats the point in fighting anything that isnt literally a boss fight or a hunt dude.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
anyway, and actually i think this is a concoction but whatever, it might be a skill, theres one where it has a high chance of taking off 1/10th of any enemies health bar if you hit it with your sword. so whats the point in the damage buffs to begin with. everything dies in roughly the same amount of time with that even if its like 50 levels above you. and it lasts about 30 minutes so you dont need to open the menu every 30 seconds in the middle of combat

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Oils also offer a defensive boost iirc so they're probably worth it on higher difficulties for that alone