Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just rip the bag off if you start to die lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound...

https://i.imgur.com/kYZ0VGY.mp4

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Weekend at Bunny's?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 28, 2020

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Caddyshack

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PQq6NvmB3g

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

The Titanic posted:

if your character was female

Didn’t it take them like six years to add women? I mean, it’s still better than Ubisoft “women are too hard to animate because you have to simulate all the babies attached to their udders”.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

haters online just don't understand how revolutionary sc will be. Chris roberts has handcrafted internet installer tech, which lets your computer copy data from cig's storage devices onto your local computer's storage devices. Over the internet - no mail-orders involved. Once you have your very own duplicate version of the pu client on your computer, you can use your computer not only to talk to cig's, but to other players who are in the exact same game session with you. Imagine that you want to play a video game with your friend in another state. You can do that. Another country? Maybe!

and it's in 3-d. Just like real life. Thanks to geometry and advanced vertex shading computation tech, cig can create a living, breathing world. You can go anywhere - in three dimensions. Chris roberts hired over 600 industry-leading professionals to make his dream come true. He didn't settle for line-only vector graphics or 2d sprites. Nope we're talking full, textured polygons.

It's awesome!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Instead of Wearing Helmets 24/7.... posted:

quote:

Most of the helmets don't have a 'liftable visor' as part of the design. Some do, and there's that legendary animation of the battle visor opening and closing, but most don't. I really think adding 'visor open' states and animations doesn't have a very high ROI as it's not universal enough.

I'm kinda torn on the whole helmet thing. One the one hand, I look forward to the day when we take off our helmet and we're either carrying it under our arm (making interactions difficult) or it's hooked to the side/back of our armor. Basically I want it to be visible that you still have a helmet even though you're not wearing it. No idea how (if?) they are going to pull that off, especially since they have a buncha non-standard shaped helmets what would really mess up the animation. (I'm talking about shipjacker, but specifically the carebears.)

In general though, I think your helmet concerns are tied into the greater 'flight-suit', 'armor', 'clothes' thing. Does it make sense to change clothes? If they want that to happen, it has to be:
  • Quick/Convenient: Readily available lockers that allow (almost) single click switching to a predesignated outfit.
  • Useful: There needs to be a benefit. Saving oxygen is an example. Reputation/Reactions is an example. Dress code in some locations might be an example. It would be nice if some of these were actual benefits and not just 'non-negatives.'
  • Safe: Space Stations need to be safe in general. Ships need to be 'somewhat' safe. (That means no accidental evacuations, and damage related ones need to have enough warning to get to the lockers.) If it's ever the case that you might find yourself with no air with insufficient notice...people are just going to keep their helmets on

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

:yikes:

yea lets not dive into that one, thanks for enlighting me

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

:five:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Mirificus posted:

One the one hand, I look forward to the day when we take off our helmet and we're either carrying it under our arm (making interactions difficult) or it's hooked to the side/back of our armor. 

kermit_and_christian_bale_nodding_thoughtfully.jif

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN9cENdM27I

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

How many people see the real potential of land claims and base building? What this actually means for the game at large? *The potential is absolutely massive!*

Today at 5:03 pm

BG did a vid on "base building" and I think it really begets some serious discussion on how the verse will actually look coming into the future of the game.

---

Take a serious look at the outposts, realize that they are all modular pieces, and the most of those pieces are clearly designed to be used with the Pioneer.
We're not talking about a habitation module and some pads for your ship, we're talking about :

mining equipment

agricultural facilities

power generation facilities

resource refinement facilities

production facilites

And we're also talking about their connectivity. The supply chains to keep them operational. The need to defend industries who's material value might be significant, or the need to wage war against competitors for territory for fear of a collapse in price due to too much supply. We're talking about full on industries, and corporate wars.

This is what the game will be.
Imagine how many hundreds of modules you can set down on a 4k plot of land...

An aside
Take an agricultural module, hack it so that you can produce WiDow. Build a couple hundred modules onto a land plot. Be the king of WiDow in the verse!
I would supplant that the devs seriously consider scaling in their facility design. As people are going to inundate the land with way too many smaller modules, much larger ones would be pertinent down the line. At an obviously ever increasing cost to purchase, transport, and construct (oh and time, big stuff should probably not be quick to put together). Lowing the poly counts and obvious problems of too many models causing massive lag. If bigger facilities come with a better margin, then the incentive to upgrade should keep the counts lower in favor of larger facilities.

---

People don't really know that they aren't going to want to be space truckers forever. Or those pirates that steal from space truckers. Me personally, I would employ pirates as the colonialists once did, to break the economic position of my enemies, maintaining my own supremacy. "You may steal from whomever does not bear the flag of this nation, or our allies, and you will be made wildly rich as a result."

---

I guess this is what I get for reading all those books on econ, poli, and history...
The first moment I saw those modules and the Pioneer, I knew exactly what I was looking at. Gigantic empires in space. (I'm certain all the EVE players know exactly what I'm talking about, I'm sure they already see the potential for insanely large industry)

In a game of who gets to be the boss, and who is the richest privateer in the verse, the industrialists will reign from a hill all others will only dream of standing atop.

---

And lastly, I do believe that the addition of this to the game should be at the highest possible priority. To have real wealth in game, and the ability to grow wealth and property cannot be understated. It gives everybody something to fight for. It creates actual player purpose. I don't play games for the sake of "the next fight." I see tangible mobility and purpose as paramount. The ability to create industry would take all that unused barren land, and make it a treasure trove. It would truly show the scale of the game as it actually is, and it would increase playability near infinitely.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Gigantic space empires, in a game where you can barely get enough ppl to fill a Motel 6 dining room.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol at all of these idiots clinging to “physicalized everything”, “no cheats or tricks” and “Chris is building a universe from the ground up”. Not only will none of that make Star Citizen a fun game, but CIG itself is walking back all of those promises, they’re just refusing to acknowledge it.

We’ve already gotten a split inventory system with a non-physicalized part. CIG also recently confirmed that the newer elevators are all just going teleport around and they don’t give a poo poo about backer’s dreams of high fidelity elevator gameplay. Finally, just in the last few days they killed most of the dreams of cities teaming with millions of life-like NPC’s. The small Cryengine maps connected by train rides are all there will ever be, and maybe a few NPC’s will teleport in and out on a set schedule using hidden closets. So this would mean less fidelity than the NPCs in Oblivion.

But no, the Matrix is still going to spring like a Phoenix someday from Chris’ broken pile of code.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 29, 2020

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

colonelwest posted:

But no, the Matrix is still going to spring like a Phoenix someday from Chris’ broken pile of code.

I watched Tron:Legacy so I know a little bit about how computers work.

CIG won't program any of it in- the conditions will be right and the AI will just physicalize itself, like a T-posed flame.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Didn’t it take them like six years to add women? I mean, it’s still better than Ubisoft “women are too hard to animate because you have to simulate all the babies attached to their udders”.

Not only did it take them six years, but they didn't bother to update their animation rigs or meshes, so women can't wear half the clothing in the game and of the stuff they can wear, many pieces hover off their bodies or produce strange animation problems. It's been this way since they were introduced and as far as I can tell they haven't bothered to fix any of it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/CanguroGuro/status/1321276321620787201
https://twitter.com/TheDarkLaw_/status/1321226571143929857
https://twitter.com/Lennixxx/status/1321338136123920386

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

The Titanic posted:

It's awesome!

No,

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So what, they’re comparing the repeated delays of Cyberpunk to SC?

Last I checked, Cyberpunk wasn’t slinging pre-order deals to the tune of thousands of dollars, several years ago.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

BigglesSWE posted:

So what, they’re comparing the repeated delays of Cyberpunk to SC?

Last I checked, Cyberpunk wasn’t slinging pre-order deals to the tune of thousands of dollars, several years ago.

CIG is a "game" because they compare themselves to a game in every way except actually making a game.

- Delays? Check!
- Roadmaps? Check!
- Version numbers? Check!
- "Lore?" Check!
- Patch notes? Check!
- Annual conventions? Check!
- A functioning game, proof of concept, design document, or even just one concrete idea? You don't know anything about game development.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Finally a new SC gameplay trailer.

SeaDart
Oct 25, 2020
290 more pages

My concern is that they may try to spin this as a Warframe-type Perpetual Release (i.e, jump to calling it an ‘Open Beta’, promise monthly content updates like they basically do already, and get away with it). When it comes to new players they can just point to whatever gameplay already exists without revealing how pointless and shallow they are (“You can mine, fly around, and fight in space and on the ground! Bounty hunting! Prison!”) and rely on like 8 years of material to obfuscate any basic research players may do. It also neatly silences criticism about the game still being in beta. Just pay a few million for some streamers to shill the game and ship packs and gyp everyone.

I guess you risk negative reviews but with a large enough marketing budget I’m sure that can be dealt with (“Cyberpunk delayed! EA games bad! Indie publisher cut them some slack! Look, a new ship for sale! Pay no attention to lack of actual gameplay!”), so I’m not actually seeing any downsides to this.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

SeaDart posted:

290 more pages

My concern is that they may try to spin this as a Warframe-type Perpetual Release (i.e, jump to calling it an ‘Open Beta’, promise monthly content updates like they basically do already, and get away with it). When it comes to new players they can just point to whatever gameplay already exists without revealing how pointless and shallow they are (“You can mine, fly around, and fight in space and on the ground! Bounty hunting! Prison!”) and rely on like 8 years of material to obfuscate any basic research players may do. It also neatly silences criticism about the game still being in beta. Just pay a few million for some streamers to shill the game and ship packs and gyp everyone.

I guess you risk negative reviews but with a large enough marketing budget I’m sure that can be dealt with (“Cyberpunk delayed! EA games bad! Indie publisher cut them some slack! Look, a new ship for sale! Pay no attention to lack of actual gameplay!”), so I’m not actually seeing any downsides to this.

It already is like this. Just replace "pre-alpha" with "open beta", monthly updates to almost no quarterly updates, and pay the rebdull dude again.
what is release anyway

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 29, 2020

SeaDart
Oct 25, 2020
Yeah, they just have to say they intend to do XYZ in this month’s update, just like they do it for the quarterly ones anyway

Like, it’s been almost 8 years, and despite all odds they’re still trucking along with the best funding year ever - negativity is either shouted down or confined to more obscure media. Some random isn’t going to click on a ~2000 view video detailing how bad the latest PU is when given the option to skip through a highly produced puff piece (sponsored by CIG)

I guess the best time for them to do this would be when they somehow shoehorn in another system and make in-system travel time deathly slow

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://i.imgur.com/4ByAbeH.mp4

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

quote:

SPACE CAPTAIN Tisiphone Heptane

I just really can't deal with these names anymore. Is there going to be a resurgence in obscure Greek mythological names in 800 years? And then that ends up paired with a last name that comes from a major chemical component of gasoline? There is zero thought put into people's names by the 'lore' team.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mr. Peepers posted:

I definitely must have missed something in Obra Dinn because I thought it was supposed to be some puzzle-y investigation game but I just walked around looking at stuff and not really solving or investigating anything for an hour before giving up in boredom.

I just started playing this based on this thread and I'm having the exact same experience. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing other than just wandering around and watching the flashbacks. I've looked up some "beginner's guides" but they're actually too advanced and seem to assume I have at least some idea of what to do. I don't. This game badly needs a tutorial.

I feel like I might just be too dumb for this game. I don't even understand the basics. :saddowns:

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
I just replayed it last week, and admittedly I've played it before, but it has more tutorial than I remember from the first time through.

Basically you're trying to find 3 pieces of information for each person in the sketches in the book: a name, a fate (type of death or survived), and optionally a killer. The game will try to indicate when you have enough information to identify people by unblurring their face in the sketch, but that can be really tenuous when they first unblur.

When you find a corpse, you can use the watch to rewind to their point of death. You'll get an audio sketch leading up to their death, and then a frozen tableau of the point of death. Use that information to determine who they are, and how they died. You won't be able to do that for every body the first time through. Once you've revealed a death scene, that body will appear on the "real" ship and you can go back through the watch at any time. Some death scenes will lead you to another corpse: the watch will vibrate and once activated will point you to the next body.

Pay attention to uniforms, locations and accents.

Good luck!

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

cmdrk posted:

I watched Tron:Legacy so I know a little bit about how computers work.

CIG won't program any of it in- the conditions will be right and the AI will just physicalize itself, like a T-posed flame.

:hmmyes:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:reddit: Star Citizen in a nutshell

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DifficultQualifiedHyracotherium-mobile.mp4

quote:

That happened to me, I just snuck out via the area without gravity and landed on a pad and then walked in. You should not have to do this but it's alpha

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

I just really can't deal with these names anymore. Is there going to be a resurgence in obscure Greek mythological names in 800 years? And then that ends up paired with a last name that comes from a major chemical component of gasoline? There is zero thought put into people's names by the 'lore' team.
But what about Roberts Space Industries’ founder, a young and enterprising inventor named Chris Roberts?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

colonelwest posted:

Lol at all of these idiots clinging to “physicalized everything”, “no cheats or tricks” and “Chris is building a universe from the ground up”. Not only will none of that make Star Citizen a fun game, but CIG itself is walking back all of those promises, they’re just refusing to acknowledge it.

We’ve already gotten a split inventory system with a non-physicalized part. CIG also recently confirmed that the newer elevators are all just going teleport around and they don’t give a poo poo about backer’s dreams of high fidelity elevator gameplay. Finally, just in the last few days they killed most of the dreams of cities teaming with millions of life-like NPC’s. The small Cryengine maps connected by train rides are all there will ever be, and maybe a few NPC’s will teleport in and out on a set schedule using hidden closets. So this would mean less fidelity than the NPCs in Oblivion.

It's a part of the scam. The backers are dumb, but they've been convinced they're really smart and sophisticated. And because of this, they wrongly believe that the stuff they pay for is worth more if it is "not faked". For them, it's a matter of the best hand-picked pixels from selected studios, bespoke animations just for them, and all of it has gone through rigorous pipelines to be the most refined content, for the most refined people. Because they're worth it.

I'm being sarcastic here, of course, because the backers are not the cream of the crop, and the content they pay for isn't either. But they believe so, because they're been told so.

If any of them did actually know anything about software development, they would know that doing things with "no cheats or tricks" is loving stupid and unnecessary.

It's all just the ol' razzle dazzle, nothing more.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Back when I was a developer, we called doing things with no cheats or tricks "brute force" and we looked down on other developers that resorted to brute force because it was inefficient and inelegant.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

One thing they're forgetting is that even IF the game worked and IF everything was "real" and IF every promised gameplay loop worked, it wouldn't matter: the game has had so many years of bad press that no one will take it seriously.

It's like when Heaven's Gate came out in 1980. During production, newspapers printed all these stories from the set about Michael Cimino's insane dedication to authenticity and his "vision" causing massive delays and a ballooning budget (:magemage:) so that by the time it came out, everyone thought it was going to suck and they didn't go see it. Those that did were psychologically primed to hate it, so they hated it, and it destroyed Cimino's career and bankrupted United Artists.

Funny enough, after a few decades people started to come out and say "okay so it's not that bad, it's actually a pretty good movie." And while, yeah, it's bloated and Cimino spends way too long on unnecessary scenes, it's not a bad movie. But if I'd been around in the 70s reading about it and laughing about what a trainwreck it sounded like, I probably never would have checked it out, and if I did, I would've spent the whole time in a "this movie's going to suck!" paradigm, which would color anything good about it a dark shade of poo poo-brown.

edit: coincidentally, the whole movie is literally tinted brown

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Slow_Moe posted:

If any of them did actually know anything about software development, they would know that doing things with "no cheats or tricks" is loving stupid and unnecessary.

The best part is how they've internalised "never been done before" to mean "must be the best way of doing it" instead of "because it is dumb"

People fill car tyres with Nitrogen, but I will fill them with custard (a non-newtonian fluid) instead! Never been done before!

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

NumptyScrub posted:

The best part is how they've internalised "never been done before" to mean "must be the best way of doing it" instead of "because it is dumb"

People fill car tyres with Nitrogen, but I will fill them with custard (a non-newtonian fluid) instead! Never been done before!

It's ironic, because all the things that have never been done before, have in fact been done before, in a more optimized and efficient manner.

The only thing that has not been done before, is taking all the (ineptly implemented) things and putting them all in the same game at the same time.

Because Christ Roberts has ambitions. loving sucks at project management.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The cyber punk delay is funny, it really shows how deep down so many citizens are upset about being shamed by a decent studio
Constant delays are normal !!!
Its been worked on since 2001 !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vkKyCd8grE

the 1 minutie mark is golden
just before the 10 minute mark is good too

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

colonelwest posted:

Its like teardown on early access on steam !!!

excpet teardown has physics and star citizen has abstract art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1321829751732924416