Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
We need a Lando as Baghdad Bob too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/KEf8qB9.gifv

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

trucutru posted:

We need a Lando as Baghdad Bob too

Sadly Bagdad Jared seems to have been sacrificed to the archive gods he used to live here: https://s4.postimg.org/t325x244d/Kl9t_Jed.png

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Mirificus posted:

Is it driving simulator - yes.
Is it commuter citizen - yes.
Is it a racing game - yes.
Is it a xenobiologist and floating laboratory simulator - yes.
Is it a breadcrumb following puzzle mystery game - yes.
Is it pub games game - yes.
Is it a player outpost builder simulator - yes.
Is it a trucker haulage simulator - yes.
Is it a commodities speculator simulator - yes.
Is it a war fighter first person shooter - yes.
Is it going to be World of Tanks - Possibly.
Is it a fleet battle and logistics game - yes.
Is it a hospital medical personnel gameplay simulator - yes.
Is it an air ambulance search and rescue simulator game - yes
Is it a mining operation simulator - yes.
Is it decorate my own home and fill it with collectible nik-naks simulator - yes.

It's funny this coming in the middle of a discussion about game engines. This citizen is almost describing a game engine.

All of those things could be done, sure. What's missing is someone to actually do them. And it will never be CIG.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

Anyone who doesn't just post is a coward. You must become a conduit. A living vessel that allows the electricity of posting to run through you, like some high speed train in Japan that is highly efficient and irreverent to the laws of physics as it glides down the track, all passengers bowing politely from behind the windows before it crashes into a steam train full of fat bankers who wanted the genuine luxury experience of emulating the stock market crash. Become the post you were always meant to be, post irreverently, post incessantly, speculate, germinate, propagate, disseminate, discombobulate. Every post is a yoshi, to be abandoned when the apex of your jump is achieved, to be commanded to devour whatever is in front of you and shat out.

:hmmyes:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
It’s June 2021 and CIG still fails do deliver SQ42. What a shitshow of incompetence. They can’t even get the broken SC sandbox with 90% content missing out of an pre Alpha stage in year 10. Please buy more ships lmao.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is Ben still affiliated with CIG? What does he do all day?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Bubbacub posted:

Working from home

Lead coder

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Star Citizen: Commit to an endless dream

:captainpop:

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

God, that new ship is hilariously stupid. Lame overall design? Check. Pointless, nonsensical articulation? Check! No sense of scale (outside looks like a small fighter but is apparently a freighter judging by the confusing interior layout)? Check!!

It's a trifecta of poo poo. That'll be $225 please.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bubbacub posted:

He's the editor of Jump Point (https://starcitizen.tools/Jump_Point_(magazine)) which makes him a big deal in publishing circles.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Word.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Honked posted:

When I worked for them as a developer it was brutally awful. One of the worst employers ever, and this was when they were trying very hard to escape the "EA wives" thing.

At one point they held a day long event for all the staff to improve the culture. This featured - I poo poo you not - the studio head yelling at the developers and telling them that the company culture was bad, and they had better improve it, or else.

EA is a brilliant place to work if you love drinking the corporate cool aid and climbing over the corpses of your fallen colleagues to get higher in management.

When I was there they had two sets of motivational posters - one set for the workers, and another for management. One of the big mantras for managers was BE HUMAN FIRST. One of the management posters featured that mantra along with a big armoured WH40K style paladin looking guy. Yeah, be human first, like that guy.

gently caress em all in the eye hole

It's not just EA, a lot of smaller dev houses which take on contracted work from bigger companies on the eastern side of the world is more or less the same. Crunch is considered normal culture. Newbies have little time to learn, and generally burn out because of how there's no support for mentorship programs. Newbies that do learn and eventually climb up the ladder are rare gems. Management stays more or less the same over the years, often changing after a hefty bonus payout. Culture is basically work 24/7 until you are unable to and replaced by another fresh graduate. Team leaders / middle management generally get all the credit for their teams work.

So yeah, gamedev is not very cool. In rare cases the culture is good. But more often because of crunch and ability to meet deadlines, culture is sidelined and deadlines come first.

But look here at Star Citizen, a game without deadlines. Must be the best place to work!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

akkristor posted:

So how long until one of the moons in Star Citizen breaks open to reveal a giant gently caress-off Dragon??

100% its not going to be a dragon.

But an Idris.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wow i haven't seen a text-based browser in forever

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Zaphod42 posted:

It is a "significant overhaul of the creation engine" so loving lmao

lol cool, guess I'm not purchasing starfield then lmao

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

no_recall posted:

100% its not going to be a dragon.

But an Idris.

Still too creative for Chris.

Every time a player warps into the area of the moon, a NPC radio communication interrupts everything - "that's no moon !" Then the camera pans through the inside of the player's face and awkwardly clips through the ship to reveal the moon cracking open like an egg! The pieces of shell start to tumble down off the sides as the truth becomes clear: it is a space station as large as a moon!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

lol cool, guess I'm not purchasing starfield then lmao

I assume that you enter your ship via a ladder and it shows a loading screen with that generic wooden door sound effect.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

His reply 5 or 6 years ago: "Come back in 5 or 6 years."

His reply in 5 or 6 years: "Come back in 5 or 6 years."

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dwesa posted:

It follows from "development only started in (_currentYear - 3)"
and "if horribly botched feature X is not ready by (_currentYear + 2), then I'll stop giving them my money"

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Escape from beyond the event horizon of a black hole by slowly and patiently zigzagging your ship back and forth up the side

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Bubbacub posted:

He's still lead gameplay tester on Wing Commander II. Just really making sure that it's good, y'know.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

Lol no. Five years ago the go-to reply was "come back in 5-6 months"

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Fidelitious posted:

He's still lead gameplay tester on Wing Commander II. Just really making sure that it's good, y'know.

I give my bike a shake and rust floats down onto the ground much like my dandruff when I rustle my own head. "It's still good," I say as I mount the bike and plant my plodders upon the pedal. A creak emerges from the bike, followed by a clattering of gears as they fall upon the ground. I find myself falling to the pavement alongside the bike's frame as it tears itself apart.

"Just like new," I say, "I am still thrilled by this."

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

trucutru posted:

Lol no. Five years ago the go-to reply was "come back in 5-6 months"

And you could quote the poo poo out of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AbstractNapper posted:

It follows from "development only started in (_currentYear - 3)"
and "if horribly botched feature X is not ready by (_currentYear + 2), then I'll stop giving them my money"

If you told Star Citizens the game wouldn't be out in 2021 way back when it started nobody would have pledged, but you keep saying "it'll be done in ~2 years" and you can drag it out for 50 years and they'll keep pitching.

Interesting lesson on human psychology there.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
:carol:Get ready to eat poo poo, fudsters, it's time for the Roadmap Roundup, presented by that dude from INN who now works at CI-G:carol:

JakeAcappella-CIG posted:

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Every two weeks, we accompany the Roadmap update with a brief explanatory note to give you insight into the decision-making that led to any changes. This is part of an effort to make our communications more transparent, more specific, and more insightful for all of you who help to make Star Citizen and Squadron 42 possible.

With that said, let’s go ahead and dive into this week’s Roadmap Roundup!

-CIG Community Team
Release View

RSI Constellation Taurus
This ship has passed its final review. For this reason, we have updated its card to Committed and changed its color to blue.

Actor Feature – Ladders T1
This deliverable’s schedule is currently under review. Therefore, we have temporarily removed this card until its plan has been finalized.

Bombs
This deliverable has been renamed from “Space Mines/Bombs” to bring it in line with last week’s update to the Progress Tracker. Space Mines will be added at a later date once its plan has been finalized.

GOD:drat: The cheapest version of one of the oldest ships has passed its final review! Holy poo poo! All the proud owners of the worst Connie , the ship used to pad all packages, are lubricating their PrtSc key in anticipation.

And the very first T1, not T0, but t1, T1, T-ONE feature is currently under review. Of course CI-G did the responsible thing and removed it from the schedule until that T is worth the goddamn 1.

Finally, after weeks (maybe months) of work, the engineers at the core gameplay team managed to change the name of a deliverable because it won't deliver half of what it was supposed to deliver. That's called T.R.A.N.S.P.A.R.E.N.C.Y. you asses, and it what makes CI-G the best company around.

Look at all that loving progress!!! I fully expect ladders T1, with a never-seen-before level of fidelity to be here at the latest in the middle of 2022 and you can quote the poo poo out of this post.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Actor Feature – Ladders T1

wooooweeeeeeeee Todd Howard must be CRYING right now!

quote:

This deliverable’s schedule is currently under review. Therefore, we have temporarily removed this card until its plan has been finalized.

oh

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, they don't have space mines working? Didn't they already sell a space minelayer?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

trucutru posted:

:carol:Get ready to eat poo poo, fudsters, it's time for the Roadmap Roundup, presented by that dude from INN who now works at CI-G:carol:

GOD:drat: The cheapest version of one of the oldest ships has passed its final review! Holy poo poo! All the proud owners of the worst Connie , the ship used to pad all packages, are lubricating their PrtSc key in anticipation.

And the very first T1, not T0, but t1, T1, T-ONE feature is currently under review. Of course CI-G did the responsible thing and removed it from the schedule until that T is worth the goddamn 1.

Finally, after weeks (maybe months) of work, the engineers at the core gameplay team managed to change the name of a deliverable because it won't deliver half of what it was supposed to deliver. That's called T.R.A.N.S.P.A.R.E.N.C.Y. you asses, and it what makes CI-G the best company around.

Look at all that loving progress!!! I fully expect ladders T1, with a never-seen-before level of fidelity to be here at the latest in the middle of 2022 and you can quote the poo poo out of this post.

Star Citizen: we have updated its card to Committed and changed its color to blue

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait, they don't have space mines working? Didn't they already sell a space minelayer?

Learn to read , they don't have the *plan* for space mines finalized yet.

Yeah, they sold a space minelayer but at no point did they mention that they had already planned how mines would function, those are completely unrelated things.

Like, just because I sold you a gun why do you suppose that (plans for its) bullets exist? Entitled much?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 16, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lmao

They sold space-land, and I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do with it.

Oh and don't forget all the ships that promise unique gameplay like the space ambulance or space journalist-mobile, which definitely do not have working gameplay.

But that's significantly better than the ships that are still concepts but are being sold.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mr.PayDay posted:

It’s June 2021 and CIG still fails do deliver SQ42. What a shitshow of incompetence. They can’t even get the broken SC sandbox with 90% content missing out of an pre Alpha stage in year 10. Please buy more ships lmao.

last time i checked in they were working their butts off to release a sq42 trailer or something, did that ever happen?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But the mine layer was sold only to the disciples of Christ who attended the tier 0 last supper with no potatoes. They understand the vision, the usefulness of vitamins and can wait for the true glory.

The ungrateful rable were sold bombs so so so long ago and have been dreaming of homesteads to bomb, they deserve this. No having endured the YouTube reviews of there shiney new no bombs bomber they need this.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao

They sold space-land, and I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do with it.

Oh and don't forget all the ships that promise unique gameplay like the space ambulance or space journalist-mobile, which definitely do not have working gameplay.

But that's significantly better than the ships that are still concepts but are being sold.

God this is so loving surreal and so many backers don't even recognize it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bedshaped posted:

last time i checked in they were working their butts off to release a sq42 trailer or something, did that ever happen?

tell ya what, we'll let you know when ANYTHING cig says is going to happen, happens

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So CIG put out a letter written in alien-ese as part of the ALIEN WEEK ongoing sale of more spaceships: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18197-Letter-From-The-Gatac-Archives

And some poor idiot did a full translation of it over the course of a 4 hour stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXo3viUEAr8

Here is the translation:
https://twitter.com/jale_xel_jela/status/1404941682542628864?s=19

And the summary, which will shock you:

Never change, CIG

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lammasu posted:

God this is so loving surreal and so many backers don't even recognize it.

Seriously, if EA did half the things CIG are doing people would be posting pictures on twitter of breaking their FIFA discs in protest. People would burn the EA lawn.

But somehow CIG has this core fanbase that are too deep in the cult to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Bedshaped posted:

That was a tier 0 plan and was not delivered
The tier 1 plan was a year long roadmap to a roadmap also not delivered
Tier 2 was a roadmap that showed nothing
Tier 3 was a annoucement of a monthly show for which their was one episode
The final god tier was a snarky post for CR to stop asking and his magnum opus will be done when it's done