Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Titanic posted:

If you play 100's of hours of any video game you shouldn't be allowed to speak negatively of it or give it a bad review.

I don't know, gaas has changed the deal so there might be a case for that at times.

But anyone who can afford to spend money on pretend spaceship videogames and waste 100s of hours and calls themselves a 'refugee' should be sent on a 6 month humanitarian mission in a warzone.

edit: this cat was so oppressed by David Braben that it ended up building its own spaceship to seek refuge in a safer game:

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dwesa posted:

what "stealth" looks like in SC

The enemy combatant AI is actually worse than this makes it seem, not that that surprises anyone here!

In the Boarding Action mission, most of the pre-placed enemies have little or no pathing capacity. Some seem to be on a very basic patrol route, wandering between 2 or 3 static patrol points, but for a lot of these NPC's you'll rarely ever have a chance to even see them successfully enact their basic pathing.

The implementation of even simple things like a patrol route is desperately poorly implemented (again, not that this is going to surprise anyone here) — so badly, in fact, it is frequently shut down by overriding conditions ('i heard a noise' or 'i reached a door but it didn't open' etc) and that NPC will then simply freeze in place and stay at that location indefinitely, and never resume any kind of coordinated action except "shoot at person I see directly in front of me" — I've done this mission a lot to grind money and there are still specific enemies whose pathing is an absolute unknowable mystery that can only be extrapolated by where you most commonly find them zoned out and staring at a wall.

In this particular part of the 890 jump boarding action mission, the upper floor bar and dining room, it's fairly egregious. between 2 and 4 npc's will end up uselessly frozen here, just ... staring away in whatever direction the quantum enfucklement of the codebase dictated for them. usually, you have two NPC's flanking a completely transparent glass door leading into the dining room.

They usually have their backs to the door, guarding the room with no other entrances. why do they choose this direction? who knows. certainly not the programmers; updates to enemy fps combatants has only made their behavior wonkier.

Even on servers with nearly no other players present, enemy response time is in multiple seconds. They have to have clear line of sight of you with a typical minimum of 2 unbroken seconds before they will start firing at you. In more typical server conditions, it can be up to 6 seconds. You can simply walk up to them and knife them without even having to run, but it's usually more pragmatic just to pick them off at leisure, as most of them don't ever move from the spot they are on.

Some enemies in the mission have a bizarre set of conditional responses that, when triggered, make them run directly and blindly at a pair of doors to space. perhaps the idea behind the trigger was to have them go investigate a door you might be coming into the ship on? So, they will end up in an infinite running motion, plowing their bodies into the airlock door. Unless you already came to that door and left it open! In which case they will fly out into open space and remain stuck there, as no NPC has any kind of programming whatsoever for what to do in zero g.

Enemy NPC cannot see through any glass or transparent surface of any kind, but if an enemy is crouched behind a transparent glass wall, they can still see, because their point of vision, when tested, remains hovering in space over their crouched head. If you're crouched behind the glass wall right next to them, they can't see you. Every enemy NPC can see you through any door, whether or not it is transparent, but can never fire through the door, even if it is just a pane of glass. This is actually the biggest overall hazard in fighting the enemy AI, because it bypasses the convenient "I have to see you for multiple seconds before I shoot you" benefit. If there's an enemy sitting behind a solid opaque steel door, it will zero in on you on the other side, then the nanosecond you start the door opening animation, they pelt you to death through it. So you learn how to walk in weird counterintuitive ways that break psychic NPC x-ray vision, thus keeping you safe.

The space boarding mission starts with a predetermined set of enemy and "ally" NPC's fighting on the lower level. You can rarely ever reach these battles before they have effectively concluded, unless you're crazy and try to land directly in the landing bay at time of mission spawn. The enemy NPC's usually win the engagement on the lower levels, subjecting the "ally" NPC's to a grinder where they are shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. If at any time during the mission you accidentally shoot ANY of the "ally" NPC's, even once, even nonfatally, the NPC's become immediately hostile and will try to kill you without question, and you're given a KOS-level crimestat for assault or murder.

There's very little visual differentiation at range between the invader NPC's and the ally NPC's, AND the ally NPC's like to run around randomly and directly intervene, which means you'll eventually shoot them and become a murderer criminal, at which point if you end up dying on the mission you'll wake up in space jail, awaiting execution. All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever. What this usually translates into is that if you ever accidentally graze a 'defender' npc, your gaming is over for the night. it's best to just go ahead and get dead and put in space jail and log out, then come back after your sentence is over.

Certain NPC's tend to have a 'respond to sounds' reaction that can make them try to walk through a wall and fall into the empty spaces of the ship, where you can't reach them to kill them to complete the mission.

If you are on a planetary raiding mission, NPC's spawn in little spawn closets behind doors the PC can't open from the outside, and walk out into the active combat area to 'fight.' if the NPC's pathing orders were interrupted by ANY unknowable distractions or weirdness BEFORE they left the spawn closet, and no NPC's are set to spawn from that closet afterwards, they will sit in their unreachable cubby and you can't kill them to complete the mission.

It's an absolute mess. I don't even really think the words do it justice. I know they're trying to make a single player campaign, OSTENSIBLY with ground combat sections, but they haven't got anything even resembling an enemy combat AI, ten years in. I have no idea what they think they're going to do.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Kavros posted:

I have no idea what they think they're going to do.

Easy, just triple the electricity

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pixelate posted:

Easy, just triple the electricity

Of the worst kind?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kavros posted:

The enemy NPC's usually win the engagement on the lower levels, subjecting the "ally" NPC's to a grinder where they are shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment.

:stare:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kavros posted:

The enemy combatant AI is actually worse than this makes it seem, not that that surprises anyone here!

In the Boarding Action mission, most of the pre-placed enemies have little or no pathing capacity. Some seem to be on a very basic patrol route, wandering between 2 or 3 static patrol points, but for a lot of these NPC's you'll rarely ever have a chance to even see them successfully enact their basic pathing.

The implementation of even simple things like a patrol route is desperately poorly implemented (again, not that this is going to surprise anyone here) — so badly, in fact, it is frequently shut down by overriding conditions ('i heard a noise' or 'i reached a door but it didn't open' etc) and that NPC will then simply freeze in place and stay at that location indefinitely, and never resume any kind of coordinated action except "shoot at person I see directly in front of me" — I've done this mission a lot to grind money and there are still specific enemies whose pathing is an absolute unknowable mystery that can only be extrapolated by where you most commonly find them zoned out and staring at a wall.

In this particular part of the 890 jump boarding action mission, the upper floor bar and dining room, it's fairly egregious. between 2 and 4 npc's will end up uselessly frozen here, just ... staring away in whatever direction the quantum enfucklement of the codebase dictated for them. usually, you have two NPC's flanking a completely transparent glass door leading into the dining room.

They usually have their backs to the door, guarding the room with no other entrances. why do they choose this direction? who knows. certainly not the programmers; updates to enemy fps combatants has only made their behavior wonkier.

Even on servers with nearly no other players present, enemy response time is in multiple seconds. They have to have clear line of sight of you with a typical minimum of 2 unbroken seconds before they will start firing at you. In more typical server conditions, it can be up to 6 seconds. You can simply walk up to them and knife them without even having to run, but it's usually more pragmatic just to pick them off at leisure, as most of them don't ever move from the spot they are on.

Some enemies in the mission have a bizarre set of conditional responses that, when triggered, make them run directly and blindly at a pair of doors to space. perhaps the idea behind the trigger was to have them go investigate a door you might be coming into the ship on? So, they will end up in an infinite running motion, plowing their bodies into the airlock door. Unless you already came to that door and left it open! In which case they will fly out into open space and remain stuck there, as no NPC has any kind of programming whatsoever for what to do in zero g.

Enemy NPC cannot see through any glass or transparent surface of any kind, but if an enemy is crouched behind a transparent glass wall, they can still see, because their point of vision, when tested, remains hovering in space over their crouched head. If you're crouched behind the glass wall right next to them, they can't see you. Every enemy NPC can see you through any door, whether or not it is transparent, but can never fire through the door, even if it is just a pane of glass. This is actually the biggest overall hazard in fighting the enemy AI, because it bypasses the convenient "I have to see you for multiple seconds before I shoot you" benefit. If there's an enemy sitting behind a solid opaque steel door, it will zero in on you on the other side, then the nanosecond you start the door opening animation, they pelt you to death through it. So you learn how to walk in weird counterintuitive ways that break psychic NPC x-ray vision, thus keeping you safe.

The space boarding mission starts with a predetermined set of enemy and "ally" NPC's fighting on the lower level. You can rarely ever reach these battles before they have effectively concluded, unless you're crazy and try to land directly in the landing bay at time of mission spawn. The enemy NPC's usually win the engagement on the lower levels, subjecting the "ally" NPC's to a grinder where they are shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. If at any time during the mission you accidentally shoot ANY of the "ally" NPC's, even once, even nonfatally, the NPC's become immediately hostile and will try to kill you without question, and you're given a KOS-level crimestat for assault or murder.

There's very little visual differentiation at range between the invader NPC's and the ally NPC's, AND the ally NPC's like to run around randomly and directly intervene, which means you'll eventually shoot them and become a murderer criminal, at which point if you end up dying on the mission you'll wake up in space jail, awaiting execution. All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever. What this usually translates into is that if you ever accidentally graze a 'defender' npc, your gaming is over for the night. it's best to just go ahead and get dead and put in space jail and log out, then come back after your sentence is over.

Certain NPC's tend to have a 'respond to sounds' reaction that can make them try to walk through a wall and fall into the empty spaces of the ship, where you can't reach them to kill them to complete the mission.

If you are on a planetary raiding mission, NPC's spawn in little spawn closets behind doors the PC can't open from the outside, and walk out into the active combat area to 'fight.' if the NPC's pathing orders were interrupted by ANY unknowable distractions or weirdness BEFORE they left the spawn closet, and no NPC's are set to spawn from that closet afterwards, they will sit in their unreachable cubby and you can't kill them to complete the mission.

It's an absolute mess. I don't even really think the words do it justice. I know they're trying to make a single player campaign, OSTENSIBLY with ground combat sections, but they haven't got anything even resembling an enemy combat AI, ten years in. I have no idea what they think they're going to do.

That was really detailed and informative thank you

Also cig is dog poo poo at making a game

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:hmmyes: "With Star Citizen; there is a lot not to know" :mmmsmug:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 28, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

the ol Stimpire slip

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Chris spoke about this back in 2017. There is/was a perfectly acceptable water simulation in CryEngine and Lumberyard, it has 2 main drawbacks:

It wasn't made for 64bit precision.

It is not dynamic enough for what Chris wants, it doesn't simulate the behaviour of real water below the surface.

The team has been working on wave tech - the only simulations around do not simulate below surface wave action or breaking foam.
They have also been working on ship wakes for ships flying over water (Chris mentioned this during the very first showcase of the planet Hurston), as well as a buoyancy simulation which again doesn't exist outside of 3D render programs for modelling, so... good for 1 frame every 15 minutes or so. OK for pre-rendered videos and movies, not OK for very large open world games. They are also going to be simulating subsurface pressure.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
How does the rest of the reddit SC cult react to Monocle Cat's infinite well of outright idiocy? Do they cheer him on, or do they just follow their usual "he's an awful shithead, but he's on our side" code of tactfully ignoring him?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Muscle Tracer posted:

What's your DPH tho (dollars per hour)? Get hours here. I'm at about 65 cents paid per hour played.

Ok I used another site, $7.63 per hour played.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Next Subflair: Vapor Wear + JumpPoint Magazine posted:

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Can’t wait for the complex fluid dynamics finite element analysis model of sixty million triangles to complete so I can enjoy literal years of gameplay at the single river in the ‘verse.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Here we go boyz... If I don't return, just assume that my PC exploded, and my house burned down.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

colonelwest posted:

Here we go boyz... If I don't return, just assume that my PC exploded, and my house burned down.

Can I have your stuff if you exploded? Except Star Citizen. You can keep that.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Don't forget to remove any copper pipes from your house before you start playing commando. O7

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

colonelwest posted:

Be ready to be underwhelmed

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

Nothing can prepare you for the nothing that awaits.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

colonelwest posted:

Make sure to disable Windows UAC!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

Nothing can prepare you for the nothing that awaits.

Yeah almost nothing has changed since the last time I played other than Orison being in the game now, which adds almost nothing than more small CryEngine maps cut up and separated by train rides to give the illusion of scale.

I just upgraded my PC gaming setup so lets so how performance is...

GPU: EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
Memory: 32GB DDR4 @3600 mhz
Storage: 1TB PCIE Gen 4 SSD @ 7GB/s Read

I set everything to 4k/full fidelity because my PC should be able to run a 10 year old CryEngine 3 demo right? right guys?

First I awaken in a hab, the gun that is supposed to be in my inventory is floating above the bed, there's no way to retrieve it. The frame rate is 25 FPS and stuttering horribly in this tiny almost empty room, the game is using 25GB of my RAM which is honestly impressive. Somehow the game ran better two years ago on my old 1080ti setup. Also, I'm constantly inundated by nonsensical tips that give me the name of a keyboard binding, not the actual key its bound to.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 28, 2022

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I take a walk outside constantly fighting with their stupid "inner thought" interaction system which is still a dice roll if it will actually select anything like doors or elevators. Sometimes you can skip it and just use the action button to do something but more often than not this doesn't work. Downstairs I get my first taste of the Subsumptive/Quanta AI, here we can see the background simulation deciding through a series of complex algorithms that these NPC's should be standing on the furniture. Groundbreaking stuff indeed.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Your Gun Fu is strong.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
That point somebody made about how you would not need bed sheets because the atmosphere would have to be perfect and then that explains Troi wearing that negligee and

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but do you see how that one NPC has his left leg bent on the top of the table? Ubisoft is going to feature that 2 years from now when they license the tech from CIG.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The graphics are really dated at this point. It's been said before, but now that we're well into a new console generation it extremely obvious. They really try to hide it in small interior areas by throwing in a lot of high-poly objects, but they're still ridiculously bare by current standards. However, it's when you go outdoors and the game has to render large areas when everything falls apart. Detail nosedives and its pop-in city starting like 10-25 meters out.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I spend almost an hour diking around Orison trying to find get to a ship and almost getting killed by an elevator that opened up to into a black void. I see advertisements for the big Drake passenger liner CIG wrote reams of dreams.tx for and then refused to acknowledge for years. Is it for sale again? Are they actually putting it in the game?

I finally get to the one ship that Chris in his divine providence has decided to gift me for this free fly event. Last time I played I got my choice of four or five, whatever. It's one of the dozens of little multiple-purpose Millenium Falcon/space-libertarian fantasy ships which I have completely lost track of as this point.

Immediately my brain is assaulted by their 4 separate UI systems which have been mashed together with no rhyme or reason. There's physical cockpit buttons (which don't work), interactive cockpit screens which sort of work, the mobi-glass wrist watch holograph which is now easier to use but also has less functionally, and then there's some new series of menus in this wheel thing. Getting anything done depends on navigating these all at once and using key bindings. The game is almost unpayable with an Xbox controller because many commands refuse to work or are just not replicated on the controller. To the game's credit though the star map is much easier to use and quantum jumping is no longer a horrible chore.

Oh and people in server keep talking about their love of anime cat girls in the chat, so yeah...uhm cool.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 28, 2022

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

So I half rear end get airborne and into space. The flight controls still make no sense, and don't work properly on my Xbox controller, so I'm forced to switch keyboard and mouse. The flight model is still lovely, the ship moves in all of sorts of weird and counterintuitive ways, and you can tell the devs are desperately trying to make the ships feel like they have weight instead of no-clipping around, but it all feels like more poo poo was just bolted onto a crappy base. The momentum is way off too even in decoupled mode. Sometimes in atmosphere my ship will just float motionless if I don't fire the thrusters, even if the nose is pointed at the ground, other times it will drop like a rock the second I let off the throttle. I guess I just don't understand physics.

My mission is to fly to Hurston and try to do some cargo hauling, since it seems to be bugged out in Orison. This part was actually pretty easy other than the hotkey for spooling up/starting the quantum drive only working 50% of the time.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 28, 2022

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

BUT WAIT! The anti-fun gremlin strikes! Almost inside of Hurston's atmosphere I get yanked out of QD by three AI pirate ships who tare through my fully charged shields and kill me in three shots. It was literally over so quickly I couldn't record it. Unlike Elite, there's no mechanic to avoid this. I guess I should have spent money on some whale combat ship.

So now I wake in the hospital on Orison for some reason, you'd think the space paramedics would save gas and drop me off on Hurston, you know the planet I was about to land on.

Also, I'm apparently creating/joining/leaving parties and missions at random without engaging in any of the games social systems.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 28, 2022

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
my favorite part of this is surely to be the realization that you picked the most insufferably inaccessable timesink of a home planet, with players often having to blast their afterburners for the length of an adventure time episode just to get out to space

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Now there's nothing left in my inventory other than the option to set a beacon to retrieve my space suit which is now orbiting another planet. I guess the space paramedics stole the rest. Cool. I go to a store only to realize that I don't have enough money to afford a new suit, and I can't bare rear end EVA to get the old one back. Cool.

So I retrieve a new ship at the space port and start again for Hurston. Only this time my ship's ramp won't close, but somehow the vacuum of space doesn't kill me even though I wearing nothing but a hospital gown. 11/10 immersion.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 28, 2022

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kavros posted:

my favorite part of this is surely to be the realization that you picked the most insufferably inaccessable timesink of a home planet, with players often having to blast their afterburners for the length of an adventure time episode just to get out to space

I honestly wanted to see it, and I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

This time I make it to Hurston without incident and land a little outside of Loreville just to see what the planet surfaces look like these days. When No Man's sky is beating you in draw distances, it might be time to rethink some things.

But I notice my ship is jittering up and down and my framerate is dropping. Turns out I landed on some cacti, and they are now clipping through the floor. I guess I still don't understand physics.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
:lmao: You are the hero we don't deserve. Thank you for your sacrifice, Commando.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Now I decide to do some exploration on foot, just me and my hospital gown. The frequent sand storms don't seem to be hurting me, but my thirst meter is ticking down (the hunger meter disappeared an hour ago). So I try to pull out the water I just bought in Orison before leaving on my second trip, but it's not there. Cool.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Afraid of dying of thirst, I get back in my jittering ship by clipping back through the cacti in it's floor as my frame rate drops again. Miraculously, I survive. Until, I try to land in Loreville and my ship suddenly starts dropping like a rock 100 meters from the hangar entrance. I go to full throttle with my nose pointed 45 degrees from the ground nothing, press the button for ventral thrusters nothing, I try toggling VTOL mode which I haven't needed at all... nothing. I crash and die and wake up back in the Orison hospital. My high fidelity life in space has come full circle.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Extremely impressed that the tech has progressed in leaps and bounds to now give us this jaunty new way to moronically stand on tables rather than just T posing. Groundbreaking.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Is this a new thing they have on sale?

It popped up in my YT sggestions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smbFuI6lC0Y

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

The Titanic posted:

If you play 100's of hours of any video game you shouldn't be allowed to speak negatively of it or give it a bad review.

Of course it's going to be boring to you at that point. But if it kept you there for that long, you got more than your moneys worth and had fun no matter what your late-game opinion is after playing that long.
What moon logic is this? "You're not allowed to be critical of a thing if you've invested a lot time in it." ...why not? Because I'm a consumer who can only see things in terms of dollars per fun per hour?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Colonelwest, I want to thank you for your sacrifice, also I hope there's more (if you can stomach it) cause these reports are way too funny.

I'm always amazed how lovely SC looks when its normal screenshots, not the "let's put it on 8k and 0fps just to take a screen, add filters and wait for the best light" poo poo most backers keep doing to delude themselves into thinking thier 2012 game has outstanding graphics.

Gonna go back to Far Cry 6 now, which looks a bit better despite also being a CryEngine game.

It also has several rivers, and I can swim!

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

colonelwest posted:

I crash and die and wake up back in the Orison hospital. My high fidelity life in space has come full circle.

Are you having fun yet?