Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

I said come in! posted:

I am looking forward to all of this being true and repeating this conversation when Starfield comes out. :( At least with Star Citizen its failure is funny.

Ignoring the fanboy hype, I think so far they're doing a decent job of cutting down things that are not really central to the core game. Like it has basic space battles but not driveable capital ships with AI crewmen, no customizable soda machines inside them, and no procedural bartenders, etc. Their main issue is that the engine they're using is absolute dogshit, and I believe the game will run like crap given the expanded scope. Just give Epic a cut and use Unreal, christ. Focus your dev time on the actual gameplay and story.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MajesticContentEwe-mobile.mp4

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The gently caress?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lammasu posted:

The gently caress?

The Hog Whisperer

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Where's the Turkey?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lammasu posted:

The gently caress?

It's amazing what 3-5 feral hogs will do to a bag of Doritos

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

The gently caress?

Hakuna matata, but not everyone is welcome. Especially if you are a deer.

Go back to your own movie, Bambi.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Stupid stario cart

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

what kind of dogs are those?!

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Trillhouse posted:

what kind of dogs are those?!

Pork flavoured.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/zurakci/status/1556357904437055494
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1556691188337475584
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1556362548064030720

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Pretty sure the official line should be "donations to support development, the ships are just a nice bonus on top of something I'd of done anyway."

Someone better tell cig people think they are "buying" "products" again and change that narrative fast before it becomes problematic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So there’s no PVP in the game. Got it.

Also you win at the economic game too.

God drat it why am I arguing with this dumbass?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It takes like 2 seconds of Googling to prove "pay2win" colloquially means "paying for an advantage". These goobers need to willfully misunderstand that to make this argument. It's kind of fascinating to watch.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
When can I buy LTI with UEC?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
What even is LTI?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Can I use the science module to research better go cart engines? Like buying a power up in Mario cart or something with coins earned on the track?

Except make sure the coins are real money, because I just want to pay for the convenience of winning all the races.

Thanks. :)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

What even is LTI?

CIGs cash cow

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rad Russian posted:

Ignoring the fanboy hype, I think so far they're doing a decent job of cutting down things that are not really central to the core game. Like it has basic space battles but not driveable capital ships with AI crewmen, no customizable soda machines inside them, and no procedural bartenders, etc. Their main issue is that the engine they're using is absolute dogshit, and I believe the game will run like crap given the expanded scope. Just give Epic a cut and use Unreal, christ. Focus your dev time on the actual gameplay and story.

My main issue is that Bethesda just aren't very good at writing stories for the worlds they create. There can be fun sidequests but I generally want something pushing me forward.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is from CIGs own official known issues/workaround page for Alpa 3.17.2

CIG posted:

Ships Appear Floating in the Hangar when Retrieved

This issue appears when a player recalls one of their ships at a hangar. the recalled ship will appear floating above the ground instead of as it should, which may make interacting with the ship impossible while it is in this state.

To correct this if you cannot interact with your ship, try the following steps:

Store the floating ship again.
Open the VMA in your mobiGlas.
Locate the affected ship.
Uninstall the ship's powerplants.
Attempt to retrieve the ship again.
Check if the issue has been corrected.

If the ship is no longer floating after attempting these steps, then you are free to store it and reinstall the powerplant and resume normal usage. If this did not correct the issue, unfortunately you must file an insurance claim on the ship and respawn it again once the claim has finished processing.

To prevent this from happening in the future, make sure that your ship is powered down and the engines are turned off before storing the ship at any hangar.

Here is the link to the page, it's a gold mine of just wacky complicated work arounds for bugs CIG will definetly fix someday. Most of the work arounds amount to "try it again".

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 9, 2022

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Popete posted:

Here is the link to the page, it's a gold mine of just wacky complicated work arounds for bugs CIG will definetly fix someday. Most of the work arounds amount to "try it again".

dear god

how hard can it be to code 'when ship is stored, bring it to a 0 power state' or whatever

like storing a plane cold and dark in FSX

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Maxwell Lord posted:

My main issue is that Bethesda just aren't very good at writing stories for the worlds they create. There can be fun sidequests but I generally want something pushing me forward.

:same:

And it actually doesn't bother me too much either. I just enjoy the quest itself to go raid some cave in the middle of nowhere to find a ring worth 5 gold to give to whoever needed it wherever they asked for it from.

I don't even mind the 6 other chests full of salt piles and potatoes and amassing a wealth of at least 14 more gold pieces from them along the way.

The real problem is deciding which heavy equipment to carry with me to sell to the guy in whiterun from the 30 bandits I had to kill who were guarding the 5 gold value ring with their lives for some reason.

This is the Bethesda way. :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

I'm not even sure I understand how cig is so bad at this.

I guess my question is if a ship is powered on does it start to just float around on its own?

What does a power plant do when it's off or on in the game that causes floating?

Does the power plant activate the super powerful no clip flight model that is totally real to life accurate because we saw a Russian fighter pilot do some kind of mid-air stunt in a video once?

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 9, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The answer is likely that their Franken-engine is so fundamentally broken they can't figure out how to fix it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Installation Error posted:

So I have been trying to update star citizen and the launcher keeps giving me a error message, I have tried uninstalling and I get the same message when I try to verify under settings. Any help to fix this would be amzing

quote:

Are you using Windows 11? There's a bug specific to Windows 11 that might impact you.

I have seen some people get installation errors because, for whatever reason, their ISP is interfering and the only solution is to use a VPN. The launcher's download traffic uses Bittorrent-like downloading and some ISPs seem to poison the data stream because they hate all torrents because those torrents might be movie piracy.

OP posted:

Yeah I'm using Windows 11, it's weird I can update the PTU, but not Live, and wont let me verify either

quote:

What SSD do you have?

Because if you have a Samsung SSD, and a 980 in particular, there's a known issue with that.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Titanic posted:

Not sure I blame AAA game syndrome and instead blame CDPR for biting off much more than they could handle.

They basically saw Rockstar games and said "we can do that too, only better!" and found out that nobody is Rockstar except Rockstar the hard and stupid way and lost a lot of good gamer faith they earned over the course of the Witcher series.

Naturally, other studios also think they have the skill of Rockstar, with a staff full of full sail grads and a decade of failure to prove how close they are getting to be comparable to Rockstar, too. :rolleyes:

From recent reports, Rockstar isn’t Rockstar any more either (this is a good thing)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mirificus posted:

The launcher's download traffic uses Bittorrent-like downloading

Does anyone have info on this? Does it use bittorrent? Games already use bittorrent for their updates (Blizzard for example). But has SC developed a "bittorrent-like" proprietary protocol that somehow causes issues with ISPs, but is not actually bittorrent?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

No, it probably uses peer to peer, which is what filesharing like torrents use.

It's probably old protocols or invalid poo poo. But dunno. Who even knows with them

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

I said come in! posted:

I am looking forward to all of this being true and repeating this conversation when Starfield comes out. :( At least with Star Citizen its failure is funny.

Star field is going to be a good game. Right... Right???

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Bingemoose posted:

Star field is going to be a good game. Right... Right???

Anakin.jpg

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lobsterminator posted:

Does anyone have info on this? Does it use bittorrent? Games already use bittorrent for their updates (Blizzard for example). But has SC developed a "bittorrent-like" proprietary protocol that somehow causes issues with ISPs, but is not actually bittorrent?

It opens up thousands of connections that can cripple networks.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Titanic posted:

What even is LTI?

ever had a UTI? same thing, but it affects your L instead of your U.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

The Titanic posted:

What even is LTI?

So in EVE there's a notion of insurance, where if you buy platinum insurance (with ingame cash), if your ship gets blown up you get at least some money back (but generally not enough to even re-buy the hull, and it doesn't cover fittings at all).

In SC this is billed as a full replacement for the lost ship.

Without LTI the ship you bought and paid for with real money will disappear in an instant when some rapscallion pirate blows it up, just as what happens to EVE whales who bought a titan with real money and then instantly proceed to lose it in lowsec.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
i can practically guarantee you that LTI is going to translate into reduced rebuy cost percentages when initiating an insurance claim, a la the backer benefits for elite dangerous. they will never be kept as anything else.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If CIG somehow ever reached a game release state LTI will probably be meaningless because they won't actually take peoples paid for with real dollars ships away.

The issue is right now CIG uses LTI and the vagaries surrounding insurance in the future to sell ships marked up with LTI. If you're dropping hundreds/thousands of dollars on JPEGs there's no way you risk losing that because you cheaped out on getting LTI even if as CIG says insurance will be cheap in the future.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

lobsterminator posted:

It doesn't make much sense anyway, fewer and fewer ISPs block bittorrent traffic these days. Firstly, more and more bt traffic is encrypted now so it's harder to block in the first place, and secondly the protocol is used for a lot of legitimate downloads too. I also don't know why they would even care. They're not liable for piracy on their networks beyond dutifully forwarding the infringement notices that never amount to anything and the number of heavy torrenters is extremely small.

Basically, I doubt any issues with the SC launcher have anything at all to do with ISPs no matter what wacky download method they're using.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

cmdrk posted:

ever had a UTI? same thing, but it affects your L instead of your U.

You just had to go there. The pain triples every second. :gonk:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I have love how everyone's vision of LTI is different even in this thread.

It brings me gladness to know that even with 10 years behind them, cig still can't explain what any mechanic will be as a final state; especially not stuff they sold to people for money.

Now tell me what you will do with the space telescope, the science pod, and how streaming and video will work through the news van. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Tell me about all the things this ship can do:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14972-Research-Unbound-The-MISC-Endeavor

If you want to pick just one, describe what I can do with the biodome. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Another ship sale incoming and all recent woes will be quickly forgotten

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1557320798121168897