Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

ZeusCannon posted:

Whats the fear turkey.

We are the Order of Celibate Fear Turkeys

Our responsibility to protect all Fear Turkeys from getting hosed.

It is a noble cause, a lonely cause

Many will hate us and call us Fudsters

But we know by the truth laid bare by our actions

No Fear Turkey should ever be hosed! Only Eaten.

https://twitter.com/OnlyMurdersHulu/status/1463915385334505481?s=20

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The Titanic posted:

But whatever. Buy an idris.
Not a chance!

I will take an Endeavor, with all the options. :colbert:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

JugbandDude posted:

As soon as Teathers of War 2 is out.

lol, that game is past it's prime, that's what kart citizen was made for!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Still can't believe they're putting kart racing in. A feature that will be forgotten immediately post patch.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Popete posted:

Still can't believe they're putting kart racing in. A feature that will be forgotten immediately post patch.

The Vehicle Tech Team Arena Commander Tech Team is already poised and ready to take on the awesome responsibility of maintaining and improving Kart Racing. They've made a new folder for it and everything!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Arena Commander Tech Team is just one of those drinking bird toys.

.random
May 7, 2007

Trilobite posted:

The Vehicle Tech Team Arena Commander Tech Team is already poised and ready to take on the awesome responsibility of maintaining and improving Kart Racing. They've made a new folder for it and everything!

In the industry, we call them directories. :smuggo:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Ts7cQ0z.mp4

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

An unneutered male will kill his own kittens.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lammasu posted:

An unneutered male will kill his own kittens.

Who pissed in your cereal this morning you miserable gormless poo poo?

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.
So, there seems to be a fair bit of head scratching around the Bar Citizen tour locations. I think I can provide a probable explanation.

Origin Games. You see, way back in the days of yore, Origin enjoyed a rather well deserved reputation for making fun games. This created a very real attitude within the studio of "Nailed it!"

As the games industry evolved, the old guard kept this attitude and tossed a lot of innovation in the trash because they believed their past success was a clear indicator of future success. They were wrong.

No matter how many times it was proven that the old guard was no longer relevant, they persisted until they were left producing unfun garbage.

If you didn't kiss the ring of veteran success, you were likely to be jettisoned.

NCSoft is based in Korea. They threw a lot of money into products that were either hit or miss (City of Heroes vs Tabula Rasa). As a publisher, NCSoft began to lose patience with the old guard attitude as more and more projects failed. However the Origin Old Guard were well entrenched in their western arms of publishing and development.

The money stopped flowing and the old guard followed each other from one dismal project to another.

Chris hired a few of these old guard loyalists to RSI and CIG. They're still there. They don't have faith in the project, but Chris is providing loyalist salaries.

Now here's why the Bar Citizen destinations are as they are. Every single stop is where known past monies for Origin Old Guard came from. I firmly believe Chris et al are going back to the well and Bar Citizen events are a nice little proof of audience within the very cities where the past money resources are located.

Corzen fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 13, 2022

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ZeusCannon posted:

Whats the fear turkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HVvgfFsU4k

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Corzen posted:

So, there seems to be a fair bit of head scratching around the Bar Citizen tour locations. I think I can provide a probable explanation.

Origin Games. You see, way back in the days of yore, Origin enjoyed a rather well deserved reputation for making fun games. This created a very real attitude within the studio of "Nailed it!"

As the games industry evolved, the old guard kept this attitude and tossed a lot of innovation in the trash because they believed their past success was a clear indicator of future success. They were wrong.

No matter how many times it was proven that the old guard was no longer relevant, they persisted until they were left producing unfun garbage.

If you didn't kiss the ring of veteran success, you were likely to be jettisoned.

NCSoft is based in Korea. They threw a lot of money into products that were either hit or miss (City of Heroes vs Tabula Rasa). As a publisher, NCSoft began to lose patience with the old guard attitude as more and more projects failed. However the Origin Old Guard were well entrenched in their western arms of publishing and development.

The money stopped flowing and the old guard followed each other from one dismal project to another.

Chris hired a few of these old guard loyalists to RSI and CIG. They're still there. They don't have faith in the project, but Chris is providing loyalist salaries.

Now here's why the Bar Citizen destinations are as they are. Every single stop is where known past monies for Origin Old Guard came from. I firmly believe Chris et al are going back to the well and Bar Citizen events are a nice little proof of audience within the very cities where the past money resources are located.

I'm not sure that the human personification of Eeyore is who you want to send to beg for money but who knows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I mean, you can somehow appreciate that they're able to make huge worlds with pseudo-procedural cities (albeit kinda glitchy), but that video, which I didn't watch to the end, just exposes more loving useless feature creep. It had a section of the character pushing around a scifi gurney. I'd wager that's the only in-game gimmick that's being pushed around in this game, and there was time spend on coding and testing (lol) and polluting the codebase with more unnecessary spaghetti.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Fidelitious posted:

I'm not sure that the human personification of Eeyore is who you want to send to beg for money but who knows.

It's certainly not the smart thing to do, but the presence of decrepit nostalgia, untethered wishful thinking, and fossilized hubris are definitely factors in Chris's decision making. And, many backers suffer from the same wistful affliction.

Corzen fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 13, 2022

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

What's to say that Chris and others are not going on these trips too, just not attending the Bar Citizen events.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Fidelitious posted:

He does have the desperate, beaten-down look of a man who would agree to swallow a hundred little balloons filled with vitamins and try to walk through airport customs, because the worst that could happen if he was caught would still be better than whatever his current day-to-day is.

But yeah, maybe Ortwin's coffin is also being shipped around, or Chris is taking a little vacation from all that late-night coding and we're not going to find out about it until someone tweets a picture of him having dinner at a fancy restaurant in Singapore.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Trilobite posted:

He does have the desperate, beaten-down look of a man who would agree to swallow a hundred little balloons filled with vitamins and try to walk through airport customs, because the worst that could happen if he was caught would still be better than whatever his current day-to-day is.

Smuggling gameplay is in!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

:allears:

July 2022

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol not even the most hard core citizen thinks SQ42 is coming in the next few years. To interpret the recent updates as "in final stages" is just amazing

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Trilobite posted:

But yeah, maybe Ortwin's coffin is also being shipped around, or Chris is taking a little vacation from all that late-night coding and we're not going to find out about it until someone tweets a picture of him having dinner at a fancy restaurant in Singapore.

I just found out from my boss that I’m staying in Hawaii for the time being and won’t be going to Singapore until early next year. So unfortunately I won’t be able to recon the event for you guys. But hey maybe I’ll see Chris at one of the resorts out here, furiously coding server meshing Tier 0 by a poolside or on a yacht.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
But what is the latest estimate confidence??

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol not even the most hard core citizen thinks SQ42 is coming in the next few years. To interpret the recent updates as "in final stages" is just amazing

If you bought like seven idrises and latest news that work on bed sheet deformations and go karts has begun, wouldn't you think all else must be finished? It wouldn't surprise me if some citizens think squadron 43 is already in full production, and maybe even squadron 44

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

commando in tophat posted:

But what is the latest estimate confidence??

If you bought like seven idrises and latest news that work on bed sheet deformations and go karts has begun, wouldn't you think all else must be finished? It wouldn't surprise me if some citizens think squadron 43 is already in full production, and maybe even squadron 44

CIG is very good at working backwards and piquing people’s imaginations. Like Rockstar put in horse testicle shrinkage as a lark late in the development cycle and it took very little time or resources. But CIG will spend literal years on peripheral bull poo poo like bed sheets or the mess hall scene without ever touching any core mechanics. Citizens will see all of this pointless minutiae and just assume that an amazing game lies underneath all of it.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 14, 2022

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if some citizens think squadron 43 is already in full production, and maybe even squadron 44

They're further along than that...

They think squadron 42 is being cut into "episodes", with the first game being only the prologue/episode 0, while episodes 1, 2, 3 ... Are already moving along the pipelines like one of Cobber's better bowel movements.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Travis Day, who (along with his wife) briefly worked at CIG and famously left because it was a loving shitshow, died over the weekend

Star Citizen outlives yet another

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Trilobite posted:

They would probably just let him off because having to work under Chris for a decade on a complete mess is punishment enough.

TheAgent posted:

Travis Day, who (along with his wife) briefly worked at CIG and famously left because it was a loving shitshow, died over the weekend

:(

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Popete posted:

:rip: Sataball, we hardly knew ye :eonwe:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They mean final stages of grief.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The leaderboard statistics for Murray cup racing are still broken after probably over a year. I feel sad for those two folks still playing it that cannot be ranked.

The other leaderboards worked. Last I looked around 9K in SM and around 7K in AC.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

:smith:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Aww man, bummer. He was one of the devs I actually liked from there who seemed the only one with legit abilities to turn flight/combat into something worth playing and it was p much him leaving that started the cognitive dissonance cycle that eventually snapped me out of the dreams.txt world I was living in till that point :(

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Thoatse posted:

Aww man, bummer. He was one of the devs I actually liked from there who seemed the only one with legit abilities to turn flight/combat into something worth playing and it was p much him leaving that started the cognitive dissonance cycle that eventually snapped me out of the dreams.txt world I was living in till that point :(

Don’t worry, he’s been replaced by a thousand Full Sail grads typing on a thousand keyboards. According to the laws of probability their random efforts will eventually produce the BDSSE sometime between now and the heat death of the Universe.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 15, 2022

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://twitter.com/MushyStuff__/status/1558893810989445120

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

This is totally without verisimilitude. Star Citizen should include an online dating app where I can organically find a partner in game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I just flash the ladies a few pics of my Idris and they beg me for the sex.

In my erotic Star Citizen fan fiction I post to Spectrum

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

I just flash the ladies a few pics of my Idris and they beg me for the sex.

In my erotic Star Citizen fan fiction I post to Spectrum

Show me your big idris.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
What was the last ship for sale?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

I’m going to be in Singapore in late September.

I really want to stop by one of these events, just to get a peak into the mind of a space whale. I wouldn’t say a single negative thing about SC, I’d just try to pump people up to spend even more money.

“Oh you only own two Idrises? I own 10. You got to dig deep to make Chris’s dream come alive, I recommend a second mortgage.”

just make sure to wear your false flag operations commander uniform and you'll be the king of the night!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bumble He posted:

just make sure to wear your false flag operations commander uniform and you'll be the king of the night!

unless he has a top hat and monocle to go with it he will be sorely out-classed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I somehow ended up in the thread from 2018 and didn't notice for a couple of pages

i know that feeling.