Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

You need ships that have hydrogen scoops to do that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Strangler 42 posted:

*not in game yet.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8GcrKmlUi8

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MarcusSA posted:

*not in game** yet.

**also no game yet

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Little taxxe for the new thread. :)

Thread punching above it's weight already.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

MarcusSA posted:

Lol what 10 dollar one?

The $10 ship is your SA Forums account.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I just swung by planet Crusader after stopping at Grim Hex (a very spooky and evil place for bad guys ONLY) to get some data on a large trade convoy passing through the system. My organization, named <Bad Grammar Latin Name> is going to pick the convoy clean and take all the loot back the base we built on Daymar (fighter of the Nightmar). Our lead fence will sell all these goods and we'll pay system officials to look the other way in the future.

There, I just had the same experience for $10 that backers have for $1000 or more.

Cameroon_TLPC
Jun 15, 2018

CEO, Lead Designer and Game Director

playlovepledge.com
Friend and fellow Gamers,

Good evening! I am happy to continue answer all questions about progress of <3Pledge (Love Pledge). We are working hard, as evidenced by our online presence!

No need to try and refund your monies. They are all for development and in our good hands.

When Oleg comes back from vacation in Brno, we will have major update!

OK OK I cannot wait! See you at Gamescom 2020 with full gameplay trailer.
https://twitter.com/PledgeTeam/status/1170029056055578625

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Price and performance do not correlate in Star Citizen. Price and existence do not correlate.

Please see the collected ship reviews from the past thread for details:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=6526#post498056564

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=6526#post498056566

Everyone read Sarsapariller's write ups because they are insane enough to have actually attempted (multiple times!) to play this game and it really is a trip how broken everything is. The pricing on ships alone is horrendous but you have to keep in mind that most of them aren't in game and what is in game doesn't work.

SC from an outsider perspective is a lot like watching wrestling fans talk about WWE. They describe it in excrutiating details and talk about the big dramatic happenings and unexpected reveals. All along you're thinking to yourself "You know it's all fake right? It's scripted, do they not know this?". The difference is wrestling fans know this but they enjoy immersing themselves into it, SC fans have fully come to believe that it's all real.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

jesus christ how broke is your brain if you keep up with and talk about this dumb loving game. and no, you aren't doing it "ironically"

it's pretty much gone

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

jesus christ how broke is your brain if you keep up with and talk about this dumb loving game. and no, you aren't doing it "ironically"

:shlick:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Cameroon_TLPC posted:

Friend and fellow Gamers,

Good evening! I am happy to continue answer all questions about progress of <3Pledge (Love Pledge). We are working hard, as evidenced by our online presence!

No need to try and refund your monies. They are all for development and in our good hands.

When Oleg comes back from vacation in Brno, we will have major update!

OK OK I cannot wait! See you at Gamescom 2020 with full gameplay trailer.
https://twitter.com/PledgeTeam/status/1170029056055578625

Damnit, I am still waiting on the "fluffers" package you sold me last year!

I mean unless you come out with another hot jpeg to sell I may just start to think about maybe doubting your intentions!

Cameroon_TLPC
Jun 15, 2018

CEO, Lead Designer and Game Director

playlovepledge.com

monkeytek posted:

Damnit, I am still waiting on the "fluffers" package you sold me last year!

I mean unless you come out with another hot jpeg to sell I may just start to think about maybe doubting your intentions!
I assure you, we are working very hard to make sure every pledge dollar is carefully applied. Even as CEO I am refactoring lots of code on a daily basis!
https://twitter.com/PledgeTeam/status/1009494494612340736
Once Oleg returns I will promptly and severely ask him the status of your pledge package, as Fluffer is high tier and is very respected. Thank you for your continued support and I assure you more ways to pledge are in the works!

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

How much are you in for commando?

Are you OK?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Cameroon_TLPC posted:

I assure you, we are working very hard to make sure every pledge dollar is carefully applied. Even as CEO I am refactoring lots of code on a daily basis!
https://twitter.com/PledgeTeam/status/1009494494612340736
Once Oleg returns I will promptly and severely ask him the status of your pledge package, as Fluffer is high tier and is very respected. Thank you for your continued support and I assure you more ways to pledge are in the works!

You have completely restored my faith!

I look forward to the super secret gimp tier dinner and wife swap session for only $780!

I sure hope you have an exciting new package to offer! But, I am not coming for that! I'm coming for the comradery and rubbing intellectual discussions!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Strangler 42 posted:

You to buy space gas? WTF!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:shepspends: :tutbutt:

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'm so confused. This was announced in 2012, meaning it is halfway to duke nukem forever levels of development hell.

Yet people are still paying thousands of dollars for spaceship jpgs? They are still announcing these jpgs? I just sort of assumed star citizen quietly folded up and went bankrupt around 2015. You are telling me this is still a thing?

I feel like I need to go lay down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Caros posted:

I'm so confused. This was announced in 2012, meaning it is halfway to duke nukem forever levels of development hell.

Yet people are still paying thousands of dollars for spaceship jpgs? They are still announcing these jpgs? I just sort of assumed star citizen quietly folded up and went bankrupt around 2015. You are telling me this is still a thing?

They also got a capital infusion last year!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

Development didn't really start until just a few years ago, it takes awhile to build up 500+ employee studios across multiple countrys you know! The pipelines are now in place, it'll all start coming together now that they're doing staggered development.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Caros posted:

The answer to all these questions is, of course;

Yes. :thumbsup:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

So with the spaceship jpgs, what are they actually promising you for your 1000 dollars? What does the 1000 dollar jpg do that the 10 dollar one wouldn't

In the full game (lol) the ships are supposed to have a insanely wide variety of roles they can fulfill, everything from bounty hunting, to drink mixing, to farming.

In the actual "game" that's out now, there are basically three things you can do with ships: fly somewhere, shoot other ships, and do fetch quests (and with one $155 dollar ship, mine). Depending on which JPGS you buy determines which of these missions you can try to do before the game crashes or bugs out.

Oh and also as a rule of thumb bigger ships are faster. A Cheap/small ship may take 15 minutes to make the trip a bigger\expensive ship can make in 5 minutes.

RBA Starblade posted:

And why do they have jpg insurance can your 1000 thing explode immediately and you lose it ingame forever?

Nobody knows. There's been several different answers and the Citizens just fill in whatever answer their broken brains desire.

Really that's the key to your first answer as well: There really isn't much of a functional difference between expensive JPGs and cheap ones, the difference is the dreams they're sold with and the dreams the buyers have.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 6, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jesus Christ

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RBA Starblade posted:

Jesus Christ

I don't think he had anything to do with it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Caros posted:

At least duke nukem released a decent game.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, seeing how this thread has some inside knowledge, is there any consensus whether this was a scam from the start, or if they only turned it into one once they realized they had tapped into an endless money fountain?

I mean, I don't think the current state of SC can be explained with simple incompetence anymore. It's now laser-focused to string along backers and get them to pay a nice four figure sum every year, until the end of time.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Nice! Reminds me of the robots in Screamers 2.

Hannibal Rex posted:

So, seeing how this thread has some inside knowledge, is there any consensus whether this was a scam from the start, or if they only turned it into one once they realized they had tapped into an endless money fountain?

I mean, I don't think the current state of SC can be explained with simple incompetence anymore. It's now laser-focused to string along backers and get them to pay a nice four figure sum every year, until the end of time.

Consensus is it didn't start out as a scam. But when crobo realized how much money he could raise, he switched to scamming marks.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Scruffpuff posted:

It goes so much deeper, though. To even say "good at exploring" carries with it such implications, like a second bed. Not only the existence of something to explore (which, as you stated, there is not) but the existence of the very concept of exploration, and accompanying game mechanics for same. What does "exploration" even mean? Pretend CIG has things to explore. (Stop laughing.) If another player gets there first is it considered "explored?" Is it like No Man's Sky where you can name it? Does it fill in part of a map that used to be blank? Is this map local to the user, shared to everyone, or can you sell the cartographic data to other players so they know the lay of the land that you mapped out for them? I'm sure the Crobbler would prefer the third idea, but I just did more work than they have in 8 years in thinking about any of this, and absolutely none of this exists in the game in any form. So to say the ship is "good at exploration" is borderline fraud.

LOL there's a 100 systems planned (*), look at Elite, explorer autism knows no bounds, I give it two weeks and all the secrets will have been "explored".

*there's never going to be 100 systems

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think Chris has the capacity to make it a scam. He's trying to make an impossible game, isn't smart enough to realise it won't happen, and his personal Hollywood lawyer is taking care of all the money and tax shelters. Everyone else around him knows, but they're all Yes Men cashing their paycheques.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Ain't no goddamned Star Citizer thread complete without this.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Also just the absolute balls on them to sell something time-limited to 72-months

The implication there is that you'll buy your ship and then play it for SIX YEARS to the point where the insurance runs out and you have to buy it again.

If you're not fantasizing about players spending 6 years in a single video game, then why on earth would you limit it to 72-months? Just say "unlimited" or "lifetime insurance"

Just, god drat these people.

Can you imagine if Blizzard tried to sell people 6-year subscriptions to WoW in alpha? (course even that wouldn't be the same, it'd have to be a $900 mount that only lasts 6 years lmao)

It's in-game years, not real years. How long in reality is an in-game year you ask? nobody knows, not even the developers. the aristocrats!

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Star Citizen is what big publishers wet-dream an ideal "live service" game would be:
Some ....thing with no minimum quality assurance, no minimum guaranteed functionality, and all the fun tucked away in some hypothetical "roadmap to release", while they get to flog the microtransactions now. Also the microtranactions cost thousands of dollars , and they themselves have no minimum quality assurance, or minimum guaranteed functionality. In fact, each 1000$ microtransaction comes with its own "road map to release", with no actual end to the road.

....oh and because it's not "done" , we can't submit it to critics for review. What a shame.....

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I'm here to laugh at this piece of poo poo video game

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GGgFlekr2s

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think Chris has the capacity to make it a scam. He's trying to make an impossible game, isn't smart enough to realise it won't happen, and his personal Hollywood lawyer is taking care of all the money and tax shelters. Everyone else around him knows, but they're all Yes Men cashing their paycheques.

Chris is well aware that he has been showing deceptive gameplay on their CitCons, and that not only has he been promising the world and the skies to anyone to get more money but he also greenlighted shady stuff like selling land on the moons/planets.

This is way beyond being a naive game creator who thinks they can make the best space sim ever.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Ah, apparently we have some new people in this thread, so I'd like to introduce you to Clifford aka miku aka SpearmintVR, a citizen who has spent a lot of money on Star Citizen, and is one of the few to show off the actual number. How much has he spent?

https://twitter.com/spearmintvr/status/1082723123823370240
Almost 58,000 dollars.

You know what else he could have done with all that money?
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=514

quote:

Princess Cruises
The Trip: Sail aboard Princess's 111-night world cruise voyage round trip from Fort Lauderdale in early January, aboard Island Princess, which is making its world cruise debut in 2021. Cruisers also have the option to join the world cruise round trip from Los Angeles on January 17.

The sailing will be the most destination-intensive world cruise itinerary the line has offered to date. Passengers for the full loop from Florida will get access to 50 ports of call, with stops in 32 countries across six continents. Cruisers can choose to take in 25 UNESCO sites en route, like Petra, Ephesus and the Great Barrier Reef, while crossing the equator twice and overnighting in Dubai and Venice.

From Fort Lauderdale, the ship sails to Colombia before traversing the Panama Canal. Calls in Nicaragua and Mexico follow, before the ship reaches its second pickup point in Los Angeles. From there, it's on to Hawaii, French Polynesia, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia and Singapore, before a dip into Asia (Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Sri Lanka).

The ship then sails the Middle East, with calls in the U.A.E., Oman, Jordan, Egypt and Israel. From late March through mid-April, it sails along the Adriatic and the Mediterranean, before making way for Morocco, the Canary Islands and the transatlantic crossing back to Fort Lauderdale in time for disembarkation on April 25. Cruisers that boarded in Los Angeles can also continue on for disembarkation in L.A., following a Panama Canal transit and a sprinkling of Latin American ports, on May 9.

Departure Date: January 3, 2021, from Fort Lauderdale; January 17, 2021, from Los Angeles

Itinerary Segments: Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles, 14 nights; Fort Lauderdale to Singapore, 59 nights; Fort Lauderdale to Dubai, 70 nights; Fort Lauderdale to Venice, 87 nights; Los Angeles to Singapore, 45 nights; Los Angeles to Dubai, 56 nights; Los Angeles to Venice, 73 nights; Singapore to Venice, 28 nights; Singapore to Fort Lauderdale, 52 nights; Singapore to Los Angeles, 66 nights; Dubai to Fort Lauderdale, 41 nights; Dubai to Los Angeles, 55 nights; Venice to Los Angeles, 38 nights

Price: Full world cruise fares range from $20,999 to $40,999 per person; segments start from $2,219, double occupancy.

quote:

Holland America Line
The Trip: Holland America runs a 128-night "Grand World Voyage" in January 2021 aboard Amsterdam. Sailing round trip from Fort Lauderdale,the cruise heads south to South America with an extended stay in Brazil (including sailing time on the Amazon River),before crossing the Panama Canal. It then makes way to Hawaii and the South Pacific, before visiting Asia (with several calls scheduled in Japan and China). Amsterdam then visits the Middle East and Mediterranean. A final transatlantic crossing brings the ship back to Fort Lauderdale on May 13, 2021.

Departure Date: January 4, 2021

Itinerary Segments: Segments have not yet been posted for booking as of press time.

Price: Full world cruise fares range from $22,899 to $79,999 per person, double occupancy.
He could have gone on a months-long cruise across the world and seen stuff that I would love to be able to experience and be jealous as gently caress about. There was another cruise that I can't find now that included dinner on a private game reserve in Africa that was also for less than he's spent on Star Citizen. Sometimes you need a sanity check to realize just how much loving money people have pissed away on a lovely pre-alpha Cryengine hack that pretends it's a space game.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 6, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

AbstractNapper posted:

Chris is well aware that he has been showing deceptive gameplay on their CitCons, and that not only has he been promising the world and the skies to anyone to get more money but he also greenlighted shady stuff like selling land on the moons/planets.

This is way beyond being a naive game creator who thinks they can make the best space sim ever.

Fair enough. His buffoonish demeanour and upfront gross incompetence lulled me into believing he wasn't capable of acting maliciously. Plus I hate tax shelter lawyers and wanted to pin it on him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

skeletors_condom posted:

Nice! Reminds me of the robots in Screamers 2.

gently caress me sideways, they made screamers 2?

Also does star citizens have toilets on your ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

trucutru posted:

It's in-game years, not real years. How long in reality is an in-game year you ask? nobody knows, not even the developers. the aristocrats!

Hahahahahaha

They need to hire you :evilbuddy: